By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Cristian Romero

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
Anyone getting fed up of hearing how brilliant he is and how shit Eric Dier and Ben Davies are, or is it just me?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
He is good... but a walking g red card... he was skating on thin ice last night... Argie hothead...

Dier has been fantastic this season. But I think part of that is due to Romero being quite a bit better than Sanchez and or anyone else.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Romero is a bit overrated but still very good. He isn't great -- none of our defenders are. As bad as we are in attack, our defense is still our weakest link imo. He isn't nearly at Vert, Toby level, and never mind Ledley. Definitely better than Sanchez. And I love Dier but he makes too many mistakes for someone with his experience.

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Stats show our defence is more decent than we think or give it credit for. However, when we make mistakes, they are so fucking avoidable it stays in the memory for longer. Lenglet and Romero are our strongest 2, the rest is a coin flip for me.

MF is our weakness creatively at the moment, plus fans believing a midfielder from fucking Brighton and Hove Albion is our saviour. Bentancor amd Holjberg are great, but we need something which is not anywhere in our squad at the moment.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

"After winning the World Cup, I came to Tottenham and the group was a little separated from the manager, but I feel responsible for the poor season we had," he said.

"I'm not happy that the season ended in that way and I'm readying myself to repay all of the trust that the club put in me and I'll be working to give my best.

"The new manager has brought us renewed hope, the group is looking great right now and we'll try to have a great season to propel Tottenham as high as possible."

"No, nothing changed with regard to my motivation. It was always the same. It was just that they were different circumstances. When I came to the club the group were somewhat separate from the staff. This is very difficult," he said.

"My first match [back] was Spurs vs Villa at home. That's where it all started. We won one game, then we'd lose two and when things are divided and not everyone is pulling in the same direction; coaches, players, not pulling in the same direction, it becomes very difficult, but obviously, as I said before, I'm the first to take responsibility for the poor season we had.

"These things that happened are in the past, we have to use it as an example so we don't do it again and this season we have to try to do things in the right way so we can ensure the club is as successful as possible."

One suggestion that clearly irks Romero is the claim from some Tottenham fans that his motivation lies more with playing for Argentina than for his club. It is a theory based on the World Cup winner's unfortunately-timed injuries during his two years at Spurs which have seen him miss the end of both seasons before heading off to join up with his national side.

Also towards the latter stages of the pandemic, when South America was still red listed as a destination, Romero, along with Giovani Lo Celso and Davinson Sanchez went to play for Argentina and Colombia respectively and had to quarantine for 10 days on a Croatian island before they could return, missing Tottenham matches in the process.

However, the mere suggestion that he gives anything less than 100% for Tottenham is not one that is well received and he admits he has turned down offers to leave the club this summer.

"I think the people that say this clearly don't know me because I’m contracted to the club for many [more] years. I always try to give my best," he said. "Obviously last season it didn't always turn out great and you accept that. When things don't go well, you're the first to hold your hands up.

"As I said before, I'll take that, but I always try to give absolutely everything on the field. I always try to repay that trust that the fans, the club and everyone else put in me and I’ll try to come back in this coming season, by having good games so we can push the club as high up as possible.

"If I didn't feel the same passion [for Spurs as I do for Argentina], I would look to leave the club. Obviously I'm not happy with how last season ended for me and as I said before, I'm the first to hold my hands up and say it wasn't the best season but when I got offers from other clubs to move away for this coming season, I said no because I want to have my best years here. I really like the Premier League, I really like Tottenham and I want to be here for many more years to come.

"Now the group is in a good way. When I arrived at Tottenham I felt the group were the same. I see a manager here that has brought back hope because he wants to compete, wants to win and I think things haven't worked out for the club in the last few seasons but were still making significant strides and doing good things because it's not easy to start winning from one day to the next, but Spurs are continuing to progress in every sense and I believe we will achieve big things."

"We have renewed hunger with the new manager. We know that he's a very good manager from the first few days we've worked with him," said the Argentine. "The group's in good shape. I feel we have recharged the batteries. Last season wasn't a good one and we are readying ourselves to have a great season.

"I think he's exactly the manager that the club needed and we'll try to give the best of ourselves in order get Tottenham as high as possible, to give the fans the opportunity to feel that we're all in it together and that they can support us in the way that they always do and we'll try and do our best this coming season."

Romero does not believe Postecoglou has changed too much in the way the Spurs players are working but that he has shifted the overall philosophy and the way he wants the game played to the front foot.

"The biggest changes, well I don't think they are significant changes, but it's a playing style that I think Tottenham always had. It's about taking more risks, taking control of the game, trying to control games," explained the centre-back.

"We know that the Premier League is a very tough league but we'll try to really impose ourselves on every game in the way we weren't able to last season and with the new manager, right now, I see the team looking really good.

"Naturally there still are lots of things improve on, lots of things to learn in terms of what the manager asks of us but I think we are on the right path."

"I think before [the Newcastle defeat] the group were already in a bad way and as I said, there was a divide between the players and the coach and in a competition like the Premier League, if you're not all pulling in the same direction, it's really tough and you saw that, not just against Newcastle but in the Liverpool game too. In the first 20 minutes they put three past us. Against Manchester United, they were 2-0 up in the first half," he said.
"I'm not happy at all [with Lloris' last game potentially being the one v Newcastle] because Hugo is a great guy and he's given a great deal to the club. I think he deserves the very best. I wish the best for him and his family.

"Naturally I'll miss him a great deal [if he goes] because he was a really important person for me when I arrived at the club. He always helped me out and he still helps me now. So, I'm going to miss him dearly of course if he leaves, but I wish him and his family well for the future."

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Said all the right things. He’s one of several we really need to step up and take this team by the scruff of the neck. In terms of style he’s ideal for how we’re trying to play, even if he’s probably best in a back three.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
vqho5rsv1ktb1.png

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
And I thought we'd come out of this IB unscathed. Sonny limping too.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I reckon a significant proportion of those passes were logged whilst him and the vicar boiled the piss at Selhurst Park on Friday. Good on him anyway.

Vicario had 140 passes I'd say.