By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Man City H [PL] 14:15 Sun 2nd Oct 2016

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Jaysas I am becoming superstitious now after the start this season,my mojo is working cos I am unbeaten in PL match threads started,so I have to start this one and keep the run going!!

Spurs-vs-Citizens.jpg

Unbeaten 2nd place Spurs take on unbeaten table toppers City at the Lane,whatever the outcome it has been a superb start by Pochettino`s blue and white army!!Personally looking on the bright side if we lost it means my head wouldnt have to really start thinking about,what if,maybe,could we,perhaps.....nah bollox I waited long enough,I like dreaming of the title,and I did last year,yeah nearly won the league what a fuck up some would have you believe eh!!

So bad news we travel to cold hostile russia on tues,good news they travel to cold hostile scotland on weds by which time we should be back in London,feet up hoping some one gives agureo a little niggle!!

This game is what its all about,win this we wont be flying under the radar any more.

Yes please;
spurs-man-city.jpg

:rolleyes:

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'm very excited for this one and have a good feeling about it too. 3 points please!!! When the players come back from international break we have a week where Liverpool host United and City play Everton at home so could really be a good time to get a big game victory and separate us from the following pack a little bit.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Huge game even this early in the season....great test for Poch and the players, if we can win it will great belief for the rest of the season and for Europe. Still won't be a disaster if we lose.

I think we'll send them back up the road with a loss by the odd goal, could be Janssens day. Hope so.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Looks like we left moscow unscathed,and hopefully the 4 injured left behind are more case of rested than crocked!
De bruyne is already out for city,yaya&his agent have gone full retard and kompany is like ledley v.7s and unfunctional nowadays and they have to survive celtic park tonight!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The possession stats are going to be interesting Poch vs Pep, I wonder what our and their tactics will be, we might both end up passing the ball to death...?

Poch will have a plan, use Son's speed or get the ball to Janssen quickly. Vertonghen might be targeted by Aguero, Rose and Waker could be key....Dele Alli's creativity might win us the game. Mousa to boss the midfield?

It's going to be fascinating battle. I've no idea what to expect as you can tell!!

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Even if we win, the pundits will still be tipping Liverpool as favourites....

Do not understand the obsession with the bindippers...oh well, at least it keeps us under the radar

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Plenty of training pics of Rose,dier and sissoko so far today,havent noticed mousa yet in individual shots but def in the group pics
Cthj0Y1WIAAVMuT.jpg
Cthlz4WWAAA6CMa.jpg

Cthm66IWcAEgPM-.jpg

Cthm8eAWYAAyhWe.jpg

Cthp12VWEAA6fyZ.jpg

Cthp2pXXgAAGqfU.jpg
CthpWIgWAAAgDwo.jpg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Referee: Andre Marriner o_O
CtmuF3VWIAENn_I.jpg

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37499454
Excellent completly unbiased predictions and comment from Jenas ;)
Too long to copy have look though plenty of good stats and here`s an extract from it.

_91453062_premierleaguetopfivehead-to-head2015-16.png

How high pressing is perfect for City task
A large portion of the way Spurs play is about winning the ball high up the pitch, which is a good idea against City anyway.

It means you keep the ball away from striker Sergio Aguero, and if you do that you have a much better chance of beating them.

But if Spurs do press high like they usually do, they will have to be careful because of how City use their goalkeeper Claudio Bravo.

As a player there is nothing worse than when you get that press on and feel it building, then the ball goes back to the opposition goalkeeper and you sprint at him expecting him to launch it - but he actually passes it into midfield.

Pochettino will know that is how City like to play and how they gain control of the tempo of the game.

So it would not surprise me if he makes sure Bravo is properly pressed as well, which means doing it every time Spurs go and hunt for the ball.

It will be all or nothing, but I have the feeling Tottenham will go for it. They look at themselves as title contenders too, and they will be saying: 'We are at home, we will be on the front foot - and we are not letting you dictate the game.'

Why Spurs are ready for another title challenge
upload_2016-9-30_8-17-38.gif

Tottenham celebrate Danny Rose's equaliser in their draw with Liverpool
Spurs are already five points better off than they were at this stage last season - and they have not hit their stride yet.

Last year, they got stronger as the campaign went on and I am expecting the same to happen this time.

I put that down to the way Pochettino trains his side very hard for long periods, even well into the season. They still do double sessions some days and will carry that on all the way up to Christmas.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Tottenham's Eric Dier, Danny Rose, Mousa Dembele and Moussa Sissoko missed the midweek Champions League win at CSKA Moscow but could they be back to face Manchester City on Sunday?

"We are positive but we need to assess all of the players tomorrow to see if they are in a good condition to play," said Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino.
Summer signing Georges-Kevin Nkoudou impressed as a substitute against CSKA on Tuesday night and will be keen to get his first start – but Pochettino says the French winger will have to wait a little longer.

“He’s not 100 per cent at the level that we want him,” said the manager. “He’s very young and he needs to work a lot to arrive at his best, but it’s true that in the way we want to use him now, we can use him. He’s perfect to be on the bench and make an impact like he did in Moscow.”

Another summer signing, Vincent Janssen, is awaiting his first Premier League goal after netting just once, from the penalty spot, in his nine games for the club so far.

But the Dutchman also started slowly last campaign, drawing a blank in his first nine matches for AZ Alkmaar, before scoring three times in two games at the start of October and going on to net 30 goals for club and country.

That may encourage Tottenham’s fans, but Pochettino said: “We cannot compare him with his former club and when he was in Holland. The Premier League is very tough and different to the Dutch league. We are happy with the way he’s working.

“It’s true he needs to score because always a striker [needs to score], like what happened with Harry Kane. But only be patient - he’s working and he’s adapting his qualities in a new club and a new league. That’s always difficult, but we’re happy with the way he’s working.”

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola told a news conference today how much he liked the style of play of Tottenham - City's opponents on Sunday.The way Spurs play I like a lot - they’re aggressive and have a lot of quality. Pochettino is one of the best managers in the world.
Interview taken from city club site.
Pep Guardiola has revealed that he is a huge fan of Mauricio Pochettino and the work he’s undertaken at Spurs.

The pair have history too, having met in La Liga on either side of the FC Barcelona and Espanyol divide, with Pochettino inflicting Barca’s first derby defeat for 27 years in February 2009.

Six years on they clash again and Guardiola believes his City side are in for a tough game in his first ever trip to White Hart Lane but the Catalan is looking forward to the challenge.

Pep told journalists: “I played against Pochettino as a player and then as a coach. I think he’s one of the best managers in the world - I enjoy watching Tottenham.

“He’s doing an amazing job in London at Spurs. The way they play I like a lot - they’re aggressive and have a lot of quality. The basis of the team is the national team with Alli, Walker, Kane - they have a lot of quality. Last season they were there until the last couple of games for the Championship.

“This year they’re playing at a high level - they’re in second position so it will be a tough game and I’m looking forward to going to White Hart Lane for the first time in my life. We will try and do our job.”

Most impressive to Pep is Tottenham’s brand of proactive football.

He added: “All of the fans who like football and watch football can enjoy it - they’re proactive, not reactive.

“There are many teams who wait to see what you do and then react - they don’t wait to see what they’re going to do. They want to create their own game. That’s why I like them. When I saw the last game against CSKA, against Liverpool, against Middlesbrough, I like what I’m watching.”

Guardiola has raised the possibility injured duo Kevin de Bruyne and Vincent Kompany could be available for the Champions League trip to Barcelona on 19 October.

The Belgium internationals are sidelined with hamstring and groin injuries respectively and missed Wednesday's 3-3 draw in the Champions League at Celtic. But scans have shown the damage is not as severe as initially thought.

"They will be maybe two or three weeks," said Guardiola. "They won't be ready for Everton (on October 15). Maybe Barcelona?"

Guardiola said there had been no change in his relationship with Yaya Toure, who has been told he will not be picked until an apology is received for his agent's comments even though the midfielder trained with the City squad on Tuesday.

Unfortunatly for us Delphi is also injured and wont feature.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Good write up here;
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...diolas-riveting-rivalry-resumes-a7340006.html

Tottenham vs Manchester City: Mauricio Pochettino and Pep Guardiola's riveting rivalry resumes
The two managers have had parallel careers, similar influences and were city rivals in Barcelona, where they met nine times between 2009 and 2012

“I am not the anti-Guardiola,” said a 38-year-old Mauricio Pochettino, desperately trying to manage expectations. It was December 2010 and his Espanyol team were about to host Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona. Pochettino had won one, drawn one and lost one in La Liga against Guardiola so far and was expected to get another result this time. “In football the players are the protagonists,” he insisted, “not the coaches.”

Barcelona proved Pochettino’s point for him. Espanyol worked ferociously hard, as any Pochettino team does. They pressed high, defended high and snapped into tackles. And Guardiola’s Barcelona dismantled them 5-1.

This was just three weeks after Barcelona beat Jose Mourinho’s Real Madrid 5-0. They were playing some of the best football ever played, half-way through a season which ended with the La Liga and Champions League titles. They were so good that they could render almost any opponent irrelevant. But Guardiola called it “the most complicated game” of Barcelona’s season so far, and it was.
Some coaches thought that the way to play Guardiola’s Barcelona was to park the bus. They saw Mourinho’s Internazionale scraping past in that famous Champions League semi-final second leg, six months before. But not Pochettino. He wanted to fight fire with fire. That is how he had got results against Barcelona in the past. So he had his head held high afterwards, despite being humiliated at home by their hated local rivals. “The team was true to our philosophy, and we tried with all our strength,” Pochettino said. “But Barcelona are in a state of grace, close to touching perfection.”

That was the fifth of nine meetings between Guardiola and Pochettino when they were coaching the two clubs of Barcelona. They had parallel spells in their first senior jobs: Guardiola arrived six months before Pochettino, they both lasted four years, Pochettino was sacked six months after Guardiola’s exhausted resignation.

Their last meeting was Guardiola’s last home game at the Nou Camp, an emotional 4-0 demolition of Espanyol. More than four years on, they meet again at White Hart Lane on Sunday. Their careers have followed different paths. Pochettino is still aiming for his first major trophy, Guardiola has won 21. But what was true when they started their careers is still true now: they have markedly similar philosophies of football, with shared influences and shared characteristics on the pitch.

poch-2.jpg

Both managers like their teams to dominate possession, to build up from the back, to take the initiative in the game and to create chances. Both managers like their teams to defend high up the pitch, to press high, winning the ball back within three seconds, protecting against the counter-attack. Both men are obsessive perfectionists and workaholics who demand the same professionalism and application from their players.

What is so interesting is how Pochettino and Guardiola arrived at the same conception of the game, at the same time, at the same age, in the same city, but from two very different angles. Pochettino owes it all to Marcelo Biesla, the man who discovered him in the dead of night, aged 15, while trying to recruit youngsters for Newell’s Old Boys. Pochettino won titles for Bielsa’s Newell’s, before playing for him again at Espanyol and then for Argentina. Biesla was Pochettino’s “father in football” and his protégé simply could not exist without the mentor.

Guardiola never got to play under Bielsa, and it is one of the few regrets of his career. “I would have liked to have played under him,” Guardiola reflected. “He is different from everyone else.” Back in 2006, a 35-year-old Guardiola had just finished playing for another hero of his, Juan Manuel Lillo, at Dorados Sinaloa in Mexico. So he made the pilgrimage down to Argentina to meet Bielsa and learn from his ideas. Within a year he was in charge of Barcelona B and his coaching journey had begun.

When Guardiola and Pochettino stepped into coaching, they both did so with philosophies and methods that were almost fully-formed. Pochettino took over at Espanyol with the club, where he was a hero as a player, in crisis. He was appointed on the same day in January 2009 that Barack Obama was inaugurated as US president. At Pochettino’s first game, a 0-0 draw with Guardiola’s Barcelona in the Copa del Rey, Espanyol fans brought “Yes we can” banners. In the second leg, Barcelona won 3-2.
What most struck everyone at Espanyol was how this 36-year-old managerial novice knew exactly what he wanted. “The idea was very clear, from the first moment,” Jordi Amat, then a youth-teamer at Espanyol, tells The Independent. “How to play and how to press high. He is doing the same at Tottenham now, he knows clearly the idea, and how to do it.”

The Espanyol players instantly learned what Pochettino wanted from them. In February, they travelled to the Nou Camp. Barcelona were 10 points clear at the top of the table. The Spanish press said that they would be “fighting King Kong with a teaspoon”. “All the people said ‘Espanyol is dead, they have no chance’”, Pochettino later recalled. “For 27 years, Espanyol had never won the derby away.”

Pochettino’s plan was to attack Barcelona with a style close to their own. “Barcelona were top, and the plan was to press high and to surprise them,” Pochettino said. “They were surprised how we played. We were a little bit lucky during the game. We won 2-1, a very special victory.” Ivan de la Pena scored twice. Barcelona went on to win the treble, but Espanyol stayed up.
That was a vindication for Pochettino’s football, for taking the fight to their celebrated rivals, meeting Barcelona’s pressing with some pressing of their own. He never beat them again, but he certainly earned Guardiola’s respect. “There are teams that wait for you, and teams that look for you,” said Guardiola. “Espanyol look for you.”

In December 2009 Barcelona scraped a 1-0 win over Espanyol, thanks to a fortunate penalty. For the return fixture at the Estadi Cornella-El Prat, Espanyol scrapped their way to a famous 0-0 draw, in which Dani Alves was sent off. Pochettino’s football was described as “guerrilla warfare”, for their energy and aggression, and playing against them “the closest thing to hell” in football.

This was the context for Pochettino having to deny that he was the “anti-Guardiola” before the December 2010 meeting. Despite that heavy defeat, Pochettino’s team could still cause Barcelona problems. Espanyol lost 2-0 at the Nou Camp in May 2011, just before the Champions League final triumph at Wembley, and there is no shame in that.

In their final season as rivals, Espanyol earned a famous 1-1 draw at home, just days after Barcelona had won the 2011 Club World Cup. Their last game was that 4-0 farewell to Guardiola. Of course Guardiola has a superior record, with four wins from their seven league meetings. But Pochettino is proud of the fact he coached vastly inferior players towards a similar style of play.

That, ultimately, is why Guardiola has won so much more than Pochettino. Their backgrounds are different but their outlooks are similar. “Both of them press high,” said Amat, who played for Pochettino, and against Guardiola, for Espanyol. “Maybe Pochettino is more pragmatic, about how to press. And maybe Guardiola is thinking more about the best way to play football, about perfection.” Pochettino cannot aim that high yet, but he is getting closer.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The biggest factor might be not to be frightened of them or Guardiola, we at least Poch appears not to be....good. We have. I need to be, we took 5 points last year.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The biggest factor might be not to be frightened of them or Guardiola, we at least Poch appears not to be....good. We have. I need to be, we took 5 points last year.
cough cough we took 6 pts off them 4-1 and 2-1 respectively:D

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
We're at full strength apart form Arry (from what I can see) and they are without Debryne and & Kompany who are key elements of their spine.

I think our fullbacks will handle Sterling whichever side he pops up on as he is fcuk all without his pace and our have just as much pace to nullify him.

Aguero. .... fuck he is a player. We need Toby and Eric to do an absolute job on him and keep him away from the goal as best we can.

It's then down to the Moose and Maybe Deli to make some magic happen and Son and Vince to finish the job off.

We're at home ffs and we should 10% take it to them and try to win this game inside 45 minutes, but not panic what so ever if we don't.

Another improved performance and this is in the bag as we are getting better week on week and eventually it will click and someone will get seriously put to the sword..... hope we see at least some glimpses of that this weekend.

COYS.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
We're at home... they ain't
We got key players fit... they ain't
Were steadily improving in qualit and consistency... they just stuttered and drew with a weak Celtic
They have Aguero... we have Aldevereld & Hugo

We have to take this right to them and try and win it inside 45 mins... but not panic if we don't as we seem to get stronger the longer a game goes on.

As long as we continue to play better football every week until we reach our potential I genuinely don't mind.... but at some point it will all click into place and someone will be onto a serious hiding.

I wanna see glimpses of that poetical tomorrow and I think we will have enough to beat them especially at home.

COYS.

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Insomnia has kicked in, so excited about this game. Should be a classic, the 2 best teams with the leagues 2 best managers

boo

boo

Founding Member
Eric Dier, Mousa Dembele and Danny Rose will all be assessed by Tottenham as they near returns from hamstring injuries.

Moussa Sissoko, who suffered a head injury last weekend, may also feature, but Harry Kane is still sidelined.

Manchester City defender John Stones is likely to be recalled after dropping out of the starting line-up for Wednesday's draw against Celtic.

Kevin de Bruyne, Vincent Kompany and Fabian Delph remain injured.

Nolito serves the final game of a three-match domestic ban.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Tottenham Hotspur

• Victory would give Spurs their second-best start to a top-flight season, bettered only by their title-winning 1960-61 campaign.
  • Tottenham have the best defensive record in the division, conceding three goals. They have yet to concede a league goal from open play at White Hart Lane.
  • Son Heung-min has scored five goals in five games for Spurs in all competitions this season, as many as he did in his last 37 games of the 2015-16 campaign.
  • Mauricio Pochettino's first match as a head coach was against Pep Guardiola - he led Espanyol to a 0-0 draw against Barcelona in a Copa del Rey tie on 21 January 2009.
  • A month later, Pochettino claimed his first ever win by guiding Espanyol to a 2-1 league victory against Guardiola's Barca at the Camp Nou on 21 February.
  • However, that is Pochettino's only win in nine meetings with Guardiola as a coach (D3, L5).
Manchester City

• Pep Guardiola could become the first manager to win his first seven Premier League matches. He is currently tied with Carlo Ancelotti, who won his first six games with Chelsea in 2009.
  • The only team to win their opening seven Premier League fixtures was Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in 2005-06. They started with nine successive wins on the way to winning the title.
  • The only time City have begun a league season with seven successive wins was in 1897-98, in the second tier.
  • Sergio Aguero has scored 28 goals in his last 27 Premier League appearances.
  • Aguero averages a league goal every 106 minutes in England - the best record in Premier League history, ahead of Thierry Henry (121 minutes).

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I had a nightmare journey last night, eventually ending up at a pub in North Yorkshire at 11.15pm owned by a mad Man City fan, ended up drinking and swapping stories until 1.00am.

Bring it on, good luck Poch and the players, games like this are what it's all about, can't wait.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Can't predict a score for this game lads. As long as we put in a good, well organised performance then it should be a tight game that can go either way. COYS!!!!

boo

boo

Founding Member
just having me tea... I'll post some links in a bit : )

boo

boo

Founding Member
Lloris (C); Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Wanyama, Dele; Sissoko, Eriksen, Lamela; Son

Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Dier, Winks, Nkoudou, Janssen