By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Neymar vs NFL

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Was just thinking after the outrageous neymar £200m transfer,what if.....

What if we hadnt bet on an NFL pitch&possible franchise at NWHL and used that money to buy Neymar or another global brand superstar.Would we have any chance of winning the league or champions league with such,or will the tortoise vs hare of supplemental income from NFL give us the money to compete,albeit filtering down in ??5-10 years time?
Either way both are a gamble with success depending on success of the team,one could bring an immediate uplift from investment,would it bring us the league or champions league though?or is NFL covering the bet,if THFC dont do well then the coffers are replenished from the secondary income?

If you look at both as an investment,one is definatly short term,would we have sold out 90k at wembley every match with such an addition?wouldnt we become an overnight global brand with all the exposure?sell out a 61k stadium for the next 4 years guaranteed?sponsorship,shirt sales massive revenue increases straight off the bat?Would it not be like another ossie/ricky moment?

Well I am not so sure,but spending +£200m on a sliding pitch which sits on an artificial nfl pitch also needing retractable seating to make it all work,no promises that after 5 years NFL says twickenham or wembley offer a better deal and suddenly like all gambling doesnt look so great.

Or am I just bored with no football,all the social media bollox about signings and should just stop posting drivel??

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Was just thinking after the outrageous neymar £200m transfer,what if.....

What if we hadnt bet on an NFL pitch&possible franchise at NWHL and used that money to buy Neymar or another global brand superstar.Would we have any chance of winning the league or champions league with such,or will the tortoise vs hare of supplemental income from NFL give us the money to compete,albeit filtering down in ??5-10 years time?
Either way both are a gamble with success depending on success of the team,one could bring an immediate uplift from investment,would it bring us the league or champions league though?or is NFL covering the bet,if THFC dont do well then the coffers are replenished from the secondary income?

If you look at both as an investment,one is definatly short term,would we have sold out 90k at wembley every match with such an addition?wouldnt we become an overnight global brand with all the exposure?sell out a 61k stadium for the next 4 years guaranteed?sponsorship,shirt sales massive revenue increases straight off the bat?Would it not be like another ossie/ricky moment?

Well I am not so sure,but spending +£200m on a sliding pitch which sits on an artificial nfl pitch also needing retractable seating to make it all work,no promises that after 5 years NFL says twickenham or wembley offer a better deal and suddenly like all gambling doesnt look so great.

Or am I just bored with no football,all the social media bollox about signings and should just stop posting drivel??
The obvious joke is 'stop posting drivel' but I think you make some good points....assuming Neymar would have come in the first place? He's joining his mate Dani Alves at PSG.

I don't know...if's and buts and all that, it would definitely have felt like a City or Chelsea type signing, and the transfer fee plus wages would have been a huge undertaking for the club, including the impact it would have had (negatively in the dressing g room on a wages front). Neymar is a very talented individual but personally not in the Messi/Ronaldo league for me. I 'd have said no had the opportunity ever arisen. The NFL deal seems good Levy business to me but I don't know the numbers and caveats....and you're right about the future- who knows? I guess the artificial pitch will also work for other events though.

For the moment at least in these aspects it seems we are delivering a world class project on time, which will transform the club. If Levy's rhetoric is true we have funds to buy players to strengthen the squad as well, not to Neymars level but Poch will have his targets apart from a £2m reserve reserve goalkeeper I'm sure....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The obvious joke is 'stop posting drivel' but I think you make some good points....assuming Neymar would have come in the first place? He's joining his mate Dani Alves at PSG.

I don't know...if's and buts and all that, it would definitely have felt like a City or Chelsea type signing, and the transfer fee plus wages would have been a huge undertaking for the club, including the impact it would have had (negatively in the dressing g room on a wages front). Neymar is a very talented individual but personally not in the Messi/Ronaldo league for me. I 'd have said no had the opportunity ever arisen. The NFL deal seems good Levy business to me but I don't know the numbers and caveats....and you're right about the future- who knows? I guess the artificial pitch will also work for other events though.

For the moment at least in these aspects it seems we are delivering a world class project on time, which will transform the club. If Levy's rhetoric is true we have funds to buy players to strengthen the squad as well, not to Neymars level but Poch will have his targets apart from a £2m reserve reserve goalkeeper I'm sure....
Not necessarily Neymar,could have been Bale or another huge transfer.
I would love to see the projected earnings from NFL/other events to try&get my head around if the costs and waiting for THFC fans it may entail is worth it.By that I mean obviously if we had borrowed several hundred millions less we would be ready to invest heavy earlier.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I would love to see the projected earnings from NFL/other events to try&get my head around if the costs and waiting for THFC fans it may entail is worth it.By that I mean obviously if we had borrowed several hundred millions less we would be ready to invest heavy earlier.
I don't have any respect for City's achievements and very few of Chelsea's because they've bought them. I'd rather see what Poch can achieve in the next 2 years and then buy if necessary/affordable.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
We already have Harry Kane, how much bigger name can you get? Do you understand that we also have Dele? Do you? Does anybody understand that?

I don't think Levy would be able to spend those huge amount of money without going into a financial coma, he would definitely never pay the wages (plus he would have to up everyone else's cos they would get right empty). Plus, he's a cunt. have I mentioned that?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I think you are looking at this as a spurs fan.

Try viewing it as a spurs shareholder and the investment in something that might break it's leg and never play another minute or sell another shirt is high end risk.

Investing in infrastructure with money borrowed against the business is a low/medium risk at best.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I think you are looking at this as a spurs fan.

Try viewing it as a spurs shareholder and the investment in something that might break it's leg and never play another minute or sell another shirt is high end risk.

Investing in infrastructure with money borrowed against the business is a low/medium risk at best.
cant disagree,just the ole will we ever be so close in our lifetime thoughts,and a hope the lack of spending isnt stadium driven.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
cant disagree,just the ole will we ever be so close in our lifetime thoughts,and a hope the lack of spending isnt stadium driven.
Course it's stadium driven mate... and it depends if you are looking at it from a club legacy (long term view) or quantifiable success from a fans perspective (short term view).

It's a simple case of young vs old, patient vs impatient, @Dorset vs LEVY.

Perspective that's all mate.

I genuinely see it from both. I want success and I buy into Dorsets it's not my money so fuck em approach. I also love watching our club grow from a well supported former giant into a sustainable business that will bear fruit of its own accord at some point...

I hopefully will have a bit longer to taste that sweet fruit compared to some so I'm good to wait.

I would like to be assured by the farmer (levy) chucking a bit of fertiliser (money) round the bottom of the tree (Top class players) from time to time to ensure strong steady growth...

Alright Charlie Dimmock.... where the duxk di a farming annology come from?