• To Dare is to do...
    1. Welcome to Proper Spursy the most authentic Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Forum, the home of the fallout crowd, you have to be awesome to be a member here. If you are awesome come and say hello.

Our Unexpected CM Injury Dilemma

Discussion in 'Spurs Discussion' started by Dustin, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Player in Training.

With such a strong holding midfield of Dembele and Dier last season, I never would have guessed that after adding two first-team caliber holding mids to our roster we would be having an injury worry. But with Winks and Wanyama hurt, Dier preferred in a back three and Dembele in regular need of a sub - we're surprisingly thin.

Most likely Wanyama's back injury can be managed and he can make it through the season - but let's say for a moment that he doesn't. Let's also assume that MP will not convert Pau Lopez into a defensive midfielder - though you never know...

I see an interesting decision on our hands: Last year's reliable 4-2-3-1 or this year's also goal producing 3-4-2-1?

Last year's 4-2-3-1:
      ---------Lloris---------
      Walk-Toby-Vert-Davi
      -----Dier---Demb-----
      -Sis------Alli---Eriks--
      -------Son--------------

Holding on to the goal producing 3-4-2-1:
      ---------Lloris---------
      ---Walk-Toby-Vert---
      Trip-Dier---Demb-Davi
      --------Alli---Eriks------
      -----------Son------------

Personally, with Kane out and Sissoko doing his best Paulinho impression, I would put trust in Walker and I think we will get more goals by sticking with the 3-4-2-1 to keep the pressure on Chelsea. But I also expect MP to disagree. If Wanyama is still injured Wednesday it will be interesting to see. Thoughts?

2. Yid

Yid Well-Known Member Founding Member

Outscore to opposition.

Bypass the midfield. Shoot on site.

3. skiathospurs

skiathospurs Well-Known Member Founding Member

If he rests wanyama on weds I expect to see Dier in midfield and a back 4.If Rose had been fit Davies as LCB in a 3 would have been an option.Cant see CCV or Wimmer starting in a 3 at the back.
      May well be wanyama on the bench and if plan B is needed he comes on and dier drops into RCB.

4. Don Diaz

Don Diaz Zero tolerance of Numpty's Founding Member

Interesting stuff....I think Poch might trust Wimmer before Walker in a back 3 and I'd probably be happy to risk that as well, meaning we're defending with a solid 5 and Wimmer did well against Arsenal away.

Based on his half time re-adjust against Burnley I'm confident Poch will have an answer. If we score first and Swansea have to come out he has the back 4 option. Some think Poch has only one plan.....

5. Style And Glory

Style And Glory Player in Training.

@Basskadet interesting set up.

Holding on to the goal producing 3-4-2-1:
      ---------Lloris---------
      ---Walk-Toby-Vert---
      Trip-Dier---Demb-Davi
      --------Alli---Eriks------
      -----------Son------------

I might be more inclined to put Dier in the back 3, Walker in Trips position & Sissoko next to Dembele.
      I think Sissoko craves to play in this position, & if it plays to his strengths, he might surprise us with his old pace, power & "passing" (the latter has seemingly deserted him at times). He was a central force at times at Newcastle & intercepted numerous passes & started counter-attacks. So it may be an opportunity to see what he can do vs a relegation threatened side.

Then again, I could be very, very wrong.

6. corroded

corroded Player in Training.

.... we need to buy more full backs, we really should be fielding four at all times.

Though, I do remember a game where technically we played four full backs, you could argue tenuously... Bale, Benny, Rose and Walker all played in a game at the same time iirc.

7. Don Diaz

Don Diaz Zero tolerance of Numpty's Founding Member

This is a guess but maybe Chelsea away under Sherwood. I was there and it was a weird team, that actually almost worked for the first half, then Vertonghen and the rest lost it including the manager after the final whistle. We were a bit of a shambles at that point...full Adebayor and all that. Amazing thing is that it wasn't very long ago.

8. skiathospurs

skiathospurs Well-Known Member Founding Member

I was there for that,walker in midfield,1st half did a job on hazard,but we went full lemming 2nd half

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid Well-Known Member Founding Member

I was going to say Spurs v Arsenal April 2010 but Walker was an unused sub. Rose debut. Scored a tap in from the 35 yard line.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Yid

Yid Well-Known Member Founding Member

What dilemma... COYS

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. corroded

corroded Player in Training.

I expect to see Wanyama turning out against Watford if I'm honest.

• Agree Agree x 1