By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Academy news

N

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
It's all in place to go all the way, players, manager, attitudes. It was last year too, just a poor 10 minutes against Juve stopped us winning the whole thing in the CL, I'm convinced (could do with City getting knocked out of that though). Harry is the glue.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
'undreds of people were saying he was just good, never world class, remember in the place that time forgot all the crap about is he good enough. I don't believe that when he started out that anyone thought he would be as good as he has turned out, as @skiathospurs said it's down to attitude and hard graft - Harry is the footy version of Johnny Wilkinson, the harder they work, the better they get.
This is true but those people had hardly seen him play, almost certainly never seen him in training and have a shit understanding of player development. A big part of the issue with young players is people's fixed perceptions about what a good player looks like and expecting kids or teenagers to fit certain molds. Also there can be a lot of focus on what a player can't do, rather than what they can do, which can leave certain types of players behind.

You're definitely right about the second part - picking out kids at age 9 or 10 and declaring them to be future world class players is a fool's errand and Kane certainly seems like a player who had a good understanding of the game and good technical ability but just kept working so hard to improve those but also bring his physical capability up to another level to take full advantage of those traits.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
Many years ago , 25ish I used to drink locally and a mates nephew was at Spurs academy , where he was from 8-16 . He got two home tickets for every game , and I was given them and went with his grandad . Unfortunately he got such a bad injury , he was released , wen t to Reading but never recovered . After playing and managing at Walton Casuals , Luke Dowling became Watford Sporting director and is now at Notts Forest .......if only I knew that he’d been at Watford , I’d hope tickets wou,d never have been an issue .
I’m now hoping Forest get promoted

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
This is true but those people had hardly seen him play, almost certainly never seen him in training and have a shit understanding of player development. A big part of the issue with young players is people's fixed perceptions about what a good player looks like and expecting kids or teenagers to fit certain molds. Also there can be a lot of focus on what a player can't do, rather than what they can do, which can leave certain types of players behind.

You're definitely right about the second part - picking out kids at age 9 or 10 and declaring them to be future world class players is a fool's errand and Kane certainly seems like a player who had a good understanding of the game and good technical ability but just kept working so hard to improve those but also bring his physical capability up to another level to take full advantage of those traits.
The good thing but extremely misleading from our academy(cant speak for other clubs),is we dont place an emphasis on results.They are more concerned with style of play and development instead of trying to win rather meaningless youth cups and leagues.So players play in various roles and positions,not always their strongest,for instance onomah was a deeper CM in the youth set up and his few times in the 1st team he played wider,probably damage limitation and fact we have pretty good central midfielders.My point is you cant judge purely on what they do and how they play for the U23s.More about your point of what fans focus on,everyone loves a skillful flashy player,its why people are still gagging for edwards and slag winks off,the areas where hard graft and tackling arent so easy on the eye means skipp,winks get a tough ride because alot of their play goes under the radar.I would name it "john Barnes syndrome" where he played more games than he should for england on the back of one exceptional goal against Brazil which people always went on about,more defensive players dont get the same recognition for their side.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Spurs U-19 have been drawn away to Porto in the last 16. Match to be played on 12 or 13 March.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Porto v Spurs (U-19s) - Champions Youth League (Round of 16) today at 11am BT SPORT if you are able to watch

Latest posts

Associates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alisvet