By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Bees 2nd December (H)

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Maybe it's a sign that I'm trying (with very limited success) to get back into happy clapper mode that I thought I'd create a match thread for this one. Anyway, Brentford play good football, but have struggled just a bit lately. Maybe we'll win. Just reading where their manager said he hopes Ivan Toney will draw inspiration from Harry Kane. I think I speak for all Spurs fans when I say, yes, let's hope Toney emulates Harry's recent performances tonight.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Just want to see us play some decent football. Don’t actually care about the result. If we can start to play some decent stuff on a consistent basis, then the results should look after themselves.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
I want it all. High press, ferocious wingbacks, a couple of hard-but-fair tackles, and goals, goals, goals.

But, baby steps. Reluctably geed myself up for Mou, then again for Nuno. Getting a bit jaded. Let's see what joy there is in N17 today.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Just want to see us play some decent football. Don’t actually care about the result. If we can start to play some decent stuff on a consistent basis, then the results should look after themselves.
I feel the same way, and think that even though we're a bit limited right now in terms of quality, results will follow the effort. Not the most incisive analysis, but there you go. We were bottom of the league in running statistics under Nuno, and apparently we outran Leeds (of "murderball" fame) last time out in the PL. Hopefully that continues.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
Some good signs of actually pressing the other team for once.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Some good signs of actually pressing the other team for once.
Yeah. The other thing that jumps out to me is that Kane isn’t dropping for the ball as much as he has been

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
It’s all mouth and no trousers

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Pretty comfortable, Brentford haven’t got going but we have pressed pretty well and got in their faces. Our passing and final ball is still very average.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Up to 6th with a game in hand on everyone around us which is handy. Could see us 4th if we won that.

Big improvement on the European game but still work to do. Thought Skipp was excellent tonight.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Well a comfortable win, Conte's got them playing with a lot more energy in terms of running and closing down the opposition but we are crying out for more quality. Brentford i thought were really poor.

Totally agree with Skipp being motm, like the way he always tries to drive forward and play a forward ball. Now we're gonna play with wing backs, i'd like to see a lot more from Royal going forward, Reggie offers that threat, not so sure about Royal. Harry still looks slightly off it, despite a nicely weighted pass to Reggie, some positives but i'd still like to see us move the ball quicker and we always seem to have to take a touch before releasing the ball, so rarely see us zip it around with one touch passing. Anyway good win, tougher tests ahead though but nice to get the 3 points and keep the momentum in the league under Conte.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Very solid, probably our most complete performance of the season against a team that looked jaded, in fairness.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
Comfortable 3 points.

Positives were Dier, Davies, Reggie, Skipp and Son.
Meh: Lucas, Hojberg,
Negatives: Kane, Royal, Sanchez...

I'm sorry, but Kane is half the player. The effort, the drive, gone....a few good passes tonight but fuck all threat, yet again. What worries me is, he's not even getting into good positions...that's what's really noticeable for me. Look, he owes us nothing but fuck me it's frustrating watching a shadow of himself this season.

Think Conte will turn it around and the initial signs are there, but Jan is going to be interesting...

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Comfortable 3 points.

Positives were Dier, Davies, Reggie, Skipp and Son.
Meh: Lucas, Hojberg,
Negatives: Kane, Royal, Sanchez...

I'm sorry, but Kane is half the player. The effort, the drive, gone....a few good passes tonight but fuck all threat, yet again. What worries me is, he's not even getting into good positions...that's what's really noticeable for me. Look, he owes us nothing but fuck me it's frustrating watching a shadow of himself this season.

Think Conte will turn it around and the initial signs are there, but Jan is going to be interesting...
I didn't see the game last night and couldn't make it 'live' either but there seems to be a recurring theme developing here...Dier isn't great from a quality point of view but he's good and works bloody hard, same goes for Davies and Skipp, so well done keep it up lads. Son, is our most dangerous threat and Reggie is good going forward, not so good defending. Lucas i like and is in the Dier camp always puts a shift in and PEH is just having a bit of a poor season, but again we'll allow it eh?
I don't get Emerson Royal over Tanganga on many levels defending, positioning, final ball etc. Sanchez is a Romero substitute, we were conned for £42m I'd give Rodon a go....and Kane, it pains me to say it because he owes us nothing really, but he's hiding and yet everyone can see it. Shame.

We saw last Thursday that the 'squad team' featuring the former Dele Alli, and others just don't have the quality, attitude or seemingly the ability, so scarily the team that started last night is almost our strongest XI. I noticed that NDombele wasn't even used as a substitute, conned again here but to the tune of £50+m. How have our scouts and Steve Hitchen still got jobs?

Bottom line and this is truly astonishing - win our game in hand and we're 4th. I know, I can't believe it either.....three decent teams in this league, not much between the rest, which is lucky for us!

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

It’s going to be interesting to see how the team performs when Kane is inevitably “rested” this month due to the usual fixture pile up at this time of year.

If we end up scoring a hatful of goals while he’s on the bench, I don’t think I’d be that shocked to see the feelings towards him change, not that they haven’t started to do that already.

Skipp is the official MotM last night as well which is well deserved.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I didn't see the game last night and couldn't make it 'live' either but there seems to be a recurring theme developing here...Dier isn't great from a quality point of view but he's good and works bloody hard, same goes for Davies and Skipp, so well done keep it up lads. Son, is our most dangerous threat and Reggie is good going forward, not so good defending. Lucas i like and is in the Dier camp always puts a shift in and PEH is just having a bit of a poor season, but again we'll allow it eh?
I don't get Emerson Royal over Tanganga on many levels defending, positioning, final ball etc. Sanchez is a Romero substitute, we were conned for £42m I'd give Rodon a go....and Kane, it pains me to say it because he owes us nothing really, but he's hiding and yet everyone can see it. Shame.
This is a bit cherry-picked to be fair, but it makes the argument that Tanganga needs to be playing ahead of Davinson while Romero's out, which I agree with. As you say, Emerson definitely is limited. Speaking of defenders, it feels like Rodon's not being considered, unless he has a knock I'm not aware of:

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

That's an excellent analysis there.

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
This is a bit cherry-picked to be fair, but it makes the argument that Tanganga needs to be playing ahead of Davinson while Romero's out, which I agree with. As you say, Emerson definitely is limited. Speaking of defenders, it feels like Rodon's not being considered, unless he has a knock I'm not aware of:
Emerson seems a very nervous type, to the point that he ties himself up in knots at the point where he should just take his man on. Davinson's complete loss of self-belief means he can't help Emerson get forward, so maybe Japhet is the quick fix. Or maybe Emerson just needs time - he's definitely possibly improved a little bit.

As a right-footed player, I have no idea why Rodon isn't considered for that side, maybe just unlucky since Japhet can cover both RB and RCB from one bench spot. Or maybe he's just crap and/or annoying - Nuno and Mourinho didn't pick him much either.

On the positive (left) side, Ben Davies working well with Reguilon frees up Sonny to do his thing.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Emerson seems a very nervous type, to the point that he ties himself up in knots at the point where he should just take his man on. Davinson's complete loss of self-belief means he can't help Emerson get forward, so maybe Japhet is the quick fix. Or maybe Emerson just needs time - he's definitely possibly improved a little bit.

As a right-footed player, I have no idea why Rodon isn't considered for that side, maybe just unlucky since Japhet can cover both RB and RCB from one bench spot. Or maybe he's just crap and/or annoying - Nuno and Mourinho didn't pick him much either.

On the positive (left) side, Ben Davies working well with Reguilon frees up Sonny to do his thing.
From what I've seen Rodon has been excellent for Wales, though for them I think he's playing in the middle of a back three with Davies on the left. Davies has said a couple of times that he would rather play in a back three than in a FB position, and it shows.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
From what I've seen Rodon has been excellent for Wales, though for them I think he's playing in the middle of a back three with Davies on the left. Davies has said a couple of times that he would rather play in a back three than in a FB position, and it shows.

I'm really happy for Ben Davies. He's just always got on with it, whether it be on the bench or on the pitch. No bitching or moaning. Better defender than attacker so his new role suits him down to the ground.