By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Best player deals

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Everyone knows I am not a Levy fan, but he has managed to get hold of some great players for fuck-all or a couple of quid more than fuck-all.

My personal favourite freebie has to be Brad Friedel, a true professional, the sort of bloke every young player should be aspiring to be like. He made 50 appearances for us, that surprises me, I thought it was more, but my mind is disintegrating with age so what the fuck do I know? The numpties in the other place poured abuse on Brad but they are cunts, I always felt safe when he was standing in our goal. I am pleased that he remains with us as an ambassador ,whatever the fuck that means, not so bothered about the country he is an ambassador in, if he wants to come home anytime he will be welcome.

Brad Friedel is my Mr Buyrite's deal of the century nomination, who is yours?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Last century,without doubt to me is Graham Roberts.However this century as I guess Kane is more of a found than a deal,I would say,well part of wants to be reconcilatory and put Gallas up there,mostly because i thought he was an arch-cunt and I admit the bloke was a good pro now and deserves huge props just for the old 2-3 at the emptycrates.But at this moment in time pound for pound (and probably inch for inch),and for service and performance Danny Rose.Have to say value wise Dele could turn out to be even more profitable than Bale,if he keeps his marbles in the jar and doesnt lose them.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Best bargain must have been Bale, can;t actually remember what we paid for himas I've smoked far too much of that funny stuff in my younger days but I'm sure it was 7-10 mil kind of price range. I know he took a while to get going and it wasn't a freebie but my god once he got going he was the best attacking player I've seen in my time as a Spurs fan. I'd go as far as saying that him and Ronaldo are the two most exciting players I've watched at a live game. Every time he got the ball it was edge of the seat stuff. In the current squad there's a good choices between Rose, Walker, Dier, and Alli too.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Last century,without doubt to me is Graham Roberts.However this century as I guess Kane is more of a found than a deal,I would say,well part of wants to be reconcilatory and put Gallas up there,mostly because i thought he was an arch-cunt and I admit the bloke was a good pro now and deserves huge props just for the old 2-3 at the emptycrates.But at this moment in time pound for pound (and probably inch for inch),and for service and performance Danny Rose.Have to say value wise Dele could turn out to be even more profitable than Bale,if he keeps his marbles in the jar and doesnt lose them.
Gallas is number 2 on my list of mega-bargains,

An intersting fact is Louis Saha is top of the Minutes per goal all time Premier League goalscoring list, 400 PL minutes played, 3 goals scored, 133 minutes per gosl, same as young Mr Kane, 133 mpg is very good. Saha bargain?

Talking about Saha, the admiral was a bargain as well I reckon.

Players we actually paid for who were mega bagains obviousy include Danny Rose and we only paid a coupke of quid for Azza. In this big money modern world, Toby and Dele will turn out to be huge bargains as well probubbly.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
To re-balance the universe I should nip over to the other place and start a 'Worst Buys Ever' thread, that would be popular there. Actually I won't bother I like my universe nicely unbalanced ta mutely! How good are we doing this season? Fucking good I reckon, undefeated in the PL, 6 farking goals conceded in 11 matches!!!! In the history of the Premiership, only 20 other times has a team only conceded this many after 11 matches - does 20 sound a lot? Well, put another way 485 times have teams conceded more than 6, so it's goodly goodness! Add our bargain buys to this goodness and the fact that we have players like Janssen and Sissoko just waiting to explode into greatness - great, smashing, super!

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
I'm thinking Aaron Lennon. A million quid from Leeds when they were broke and going down, they got proper Levied on that one.

He set that team alight. ok he couldn't cross but we went from a team with nothing to a counter attacking monster that terrorised defences. Was gutted to see him leave for Everton but happy memories of him cutting through the Gooners defence a few years ago when we rolled them over at WHL.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'm thinking Aaron Lennon. A million quid from Leeds when they were broke and going down, they got proper Levied on that one.

He set that team alight. ok he couldn't cross but we went from a team with nothing to a counter attacking monster that terrorised defences. Was gutted to see him leave for Everton but happy memories of him cutting through the Gooners defence a few years ago when we rolled them over at WHL.
He was brilliant but frustrated the shit out of me running at full tilt from one side of the pitch to the other beause he wouldn't take on his fullback...

boo

boo

Founding Member
£50M gets you...

Dele Alli (£5M),Eric Dier (£4M),Christian Eriksen (£11.5M),Kyle Walker (£5M),Danny Rose (£1M),Toby Alderweireld (£11.5M),Harry Kane (£0M),Jan Vertonghen (£12M)

wow!

Paul-Pogba-sad-on-the-bench.jpg

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
£50M gets you...

Dele Alli (£5M),Eric Dier (£4M),Christian Eriksen (£11.5M),Kyle Walker (£5M),Danny Rose (£1M),Toby Alderweireld (£11.5M),Harry Kane (£0M),Jan Vertonghen (£12M)

wow!

Paul-Pogba-sad-on-the-bench.jpg
But would we have done better just buyng Stones?

As I really don't like Levy, I like to say that he got lucky buying these players and others at great prices, that is very unfair of me but that's the way uh huh,uh huh, I like it.

There has been criticism of the amounts paid for Sissoko, Lamela and Janssen but even I don't expect Levy to make killer deals on every player he buys that would be unreasonable, and I am a fair man, cruel, vindictive, vengeful, psychotic but fair.

Personally, I think Levy has earned a pass from fickle fans for donkeys years for the Toby and Dele deals alone, obviously the Poch gets the credit for selection but I expect Old Slappy had a hand in the deals, also I am not stupid enough to think Shineybonce paid £30m for Sissoko - even if he had, which he hasn't, I think we wil see some magic from Moussa 2.

I think it is becoming obvious that splurging massive amounts of wedge on players does not neccesarily buy success, it ain't working for United, 2 wanker managers and they are looking pony despite the zillions they have spent. Leicester winnng the title with a team worth 2 quid and now surprising the smooshy stuff out of the CL, Tottenham Hotspur consistently doing well since the Harry era, yep we have done very well, the worst position we have achieved in 8 years was 6th, oohhh how we would have dreamed of that in the preceding 20 years.

Last edited:
Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Berbatov?

Paid £10.9 million and then sold for £30.75

Not a bad bit of business.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I think it is becoming obvious that splurging massive amounts of wedge on players does not neccesarily buy success, it ain't working for United, 2 wanker managers and they are looking pony despite the zilluons they have spent. Leicester winnng the title with a team worth 2 quid and now surprising the smooshy stuff out of the CL, Tottenham Hotspur consistently doing well since the Harry era, yep we have done very well, the worst position we have achieved in 8 years was 6th, oohhh how we would gave dreamed of that in the preceding 20 years.
Winner......which is why we probably don't need this Isco bloke, and why we should probably have signed that Young Dembele 2 striker from Fulham, not sure what happened there, maybe it was paper talk or maybe Levy pushed too hard.

I don't know how much Chelsea paid for Batshuayi or United for Mkhitaryan and Di Maria but a lot and they are/were first reserves....we all know that the chavs sold De Bruyne, Sturridge, Schurrle and Lukaku and United sold Pogba first time round, so whilst we may have had our share of expensive flops, although I can't think of that many that cost a fortune. Spurs have probably unearthed more gems for relatively little or no money, compared with many of those around us.

The highlights already mentioned above, with Bale probably the best in terms of being real world class.

boo

boo

Founding Member
But would we have done better just buyng Stones?

As I really don't like Levy, I like to say that he got lucky buying these players and others at great prices, that is very unfair of me but that's the way uh huh,uh huh, I like it.

There has been criticism of the amounts paid for Sissoko, Lamela and Janssen but even I don't expect Levy to make killer deals on every player he buys that would be unreasonable, and I am a fair man, cruel, vindictive, vengeful, psychotic but fair.

Personally, I think Levy has earned a pass from fickle fans for donkeys years for the Toby and Dele deals alone, obviously the Poch gets the credit for selection but I expect Old Slappy had a hand in the deals, also I am not stupid enough to think Shineybonce paid £30m for Sissoko - even if he had, which he hasn't, I think we wil see some magic from Moussa 2.

I think it is becoming obvious that splurging massive amounts of wedge on players does not neccesarily buy success, it ain't working for United, 2 wanker managers and they are looking pony despite the zillions they have spent. Leicester winnng the title with a team worth 2 quid and now surprising the smooshy stuff out of the CL, Tottenham Hotspur consistently doing well since the Harry era, yep we have done very well, the worst position we have achieved in 8 years was 6th, oohhh how we would have dreamed of that in the preceding 20 years.

The thing that I have been harping on aboot for the last six or seven years is the difference between micro-perception and wide angled lens perception. It's a difference that some chose to adhere by or lasciviously flaunt against.

It doesn't appear to matter how many charts, table standings or balanced rational are used, micro-perception would wonder the keyboards with vial determination.

Of course, there are always emotions involved in such fields of lavish which, if hidden from view, don't allow honestly of sight yet, masquerade under the guise of support for or against.

To be perplexed is an obvious emotion, anguish, astonishment and even discord can yield prominently on the faces in the stands however, the wide angled lens can still be seen.

Player sales is just one side of this 'short fuse' mentality that, without question, would not be lost in the surroundings of our club.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
We got Keane from them for a bargain too IIRC...
and paul robinson and a very infant danny rose,oh yeah and they paid keano`s wages for us too.Gotta love that Risdale chap.

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Looking at our top 10 transfers out. We have made a tidy profit (I did a graph)

TOP TEN MOST EXPENSIVE SPURS SALES
Season Player Club Bought for Sold for Profit/loss
2013/14 Gareth Bale Real Madrid £7,000,000 £85,300,000 £78,300,000
2008/09 Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United £10,900,000 £30,750,000 £19,850,000
2012/13 Luka Modric Real Madrid £16,500,000 £29,316,219 £12,816,219
2008/09 Robbie Keane Liverpool £7,000,000 £20,300,000 £13,300,000
2006/07 Michael Carrick Manchester United £3,500,000 £18,600,000 £15,100,000
2016/17 Nacer Chadli West Bromwich Albion £7,000,000 £13,000,000 £6,000,000
2016/17 Ryan Mason Hull City £0 £13,000,000 £13,000,000
2011/12 Peter Crouch Stoke City £10,000,000 £12,000,000 £2,000,000
2012/13 Rafael van der Vaart Hamburg SV £8,000,000 £10,300,000 £2,300,000
2015/16 Roberto Soldado Villarreal £26,000,000 £10,000,000 -£16,000,000

Spent £95,900,000
Sold £242,566,219
Profit £146,666,219

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
For what we paid, and the effect it had around the club, I'd say Rafa was also an excellent piece of business. £8 million? What a steal.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Someone in a former universe suggested that Spurs ruin players........the facts based on transfer fees generally, would suggest the opposite.

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
I think as a club who wants to compete with the big boys, this is the only business model we could follow.

I feel this will change with the additional income of the new stadium, once it is all paid off.

Does anyone know the projected debt the club will be in once the stadium is completed?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I think as a club who wants to compete with the big boys, this is the only business model we could follow.

I feel this will change with the additional income of the new stadium, once it is all paid off.

Does anyone know the projected debt the club will be in once the stadium is completed?
That's a good question and one that in a former life someone like Blue Crew LA would probably be best placed to answer. From everything we know about Levy and his financial dealings, I would suspect that this has already been carefully planned and calculated as part of the Stadium naming rights, sponsorships and revenue streams from all things Spurs such as matchday revenues, merchandise, TV income etc. The latest revenue and pricing models from CL at Wembley will have helped with an insight into matchday revenue, together with an investigation into how Arsenal fared having built the library toilet down the road. As a bronze member i was asked to register my interest in premium match seating at the new stadium...since it is unlikely all requests for Season tickets will be fulfilled. They are priced between £2,500 - £6,000 per season...almost exactly the same as Arsenals.

My guess is that the projected debt won't be huge and will be affordable, but that's probably not much help.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

A lot OFC depends on naming rights,I have seen quite reasonable ITK about the talks with Qatar about naming rights and even the same taking ownership.Now like all ITK its unsubstantiated until it/if happens.But back to your question,I follow the stadium build on the skyscraper forum,and many knowledgeable people dont even know what it will cost,mostly because its so damn complicated.The talk of £750m also includes the community housing,new tower blocks etc of which monies will come from local govt towards the costs and some money made from sale of some properties,talk of the stadium costing £400m,but no one is sure if that includes "the tottenham experience" which is the museum,new club store (the biggest football retail shop in europe) and so on.Tack on to that the many millions spent on all the land purchases already made north of WHL that is enabling the build and truly I would guess at this point even Levy and uncle Joe are assessing the final cost with the old finger in the air guesstimation.

What I just spent 5mins saying was "i dont know" lol

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Michael Dawson is right up there in terms of bargains at about 4 mil. Not the most gifted player in the world but wore his heart on his sleeve, gave 110% every game. Loved that guy!!

Billy Gallas aswell. Seemed a strange punt at the time but he was a warrior for us.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Rafael van der Vaart is the best bit of business I have ever seen. Was one of the best players on the planet at the time we signed him, we then got two great years of highlights out of him as well as his experience which proved invaluable as we fought in our first UCL campaign....and then we sold him at a profit just as his body was giving up on him.

And wasn't he just the best fun whilst he was here? Telling Arsenal fans to shut their holes on more than one occasion too.....a proper Yid.

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Kyle Walker? £9mill for him and Naughton, seems an absolute steal considering he is the best right back in the league now