By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Chapecoense

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Obviously the whole football world knows about the tragic Chapecoense plane crash, but just saw this on Twitter. Medellin fans came to the stadium the game would have been held at only to sing for Chapecoense. Horrific tragedy (that I'm honestly a bit surprised doesn't happen more often as much as these teams travel by air) but when I see scenes like this I actually briefly think that the world and humanity are not totally fucked.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Strangely enuff I was out last night and met a guy who works for the insurance underwriters who has seen the preliminary report,I really dont know if i should say what i was told? ah fuck it i am itk for once.,The plane has a range of 2200 miles,the trip was 2,000,a plane with a problem got priority landing because of a mechanical failure and their flight was put on a holding pattern,not hard to work out what happened next,when a plane runs out of fuel.
Completely avoidable with common sense it seems.

The guy also knows intimatly (not sexually!) Lewis`head of security,and said (cos we were talking about NWHL) that no way will any naming rights be linked to a club takeover (qatar) as suggested in some places.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Strangely enuff I was out last night and met a guy who works for the insurance underwriters who has seen the preliminary report,I really dont know if i should say what i was told? ah fuck it i am itk for once.,The plane has a range of 2200 miles,the trip was 2,000,a plane with a problem got priority landing because of a mechanical failure and their flight was put on a holding pattern,not hard to work out what happened next,when a plane runs out of fuel.
Completely avoidable with common sense it seems.
That's incredible, Medellin is apparently a massive airport, and surely there were other places it could be diverted to? I've been in holding patterns due to weather before (as I'm sure most have),and each time the pilot came on and said what our alternate site was should fuel get too low. All the more terrible since it was that avoidable

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
That's incredible, Medellin is apparently a massive airport, and surely there were other places it could be diverted to? I've been in holding patterns due to weather before (as I'm sure most have),and each time the pilot came on and said what our alternate site was should fuel get too low. All the more terrible since it was that avoidable
seems like a massive miscalculation by either pilot or traffic control or whoever fuelled the plane assuming their meter was correct.
I guess it explains why it didnt catch fire on impact,incredible in this age such a mistake happens,assuming the stories are correct.
Very sad.

birdonaball

birdonaball

Player in Training.
Just devastating news. My heart goes out to all the family and friends involved. Just a reminder at how fragile life is and how it all can change in an instant.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
It's a terrible tragedy, I didn't like hearing the voice recordings of the pilot on the news. Apparently they had the option to refuel at Bogota and chose not to. Football still has the soul to unite in times like this, Hillsborough and others, fans and teams come together. I read that other top clubs have offered players, Liverpool did the same thing I'm told for Manchester United after the Munich air disaster....that seems to have been forgotten by their fans these days.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
I was listening to a podcast where a journalist explained all the steps that lead to the crash and also how the club will find it very hard to come back from it as it is only a small club that has found success only recently. Heartbreaking.

LakewoodSpur

LakewoodSpur

Founding Member
@J.spurs ... I dunno, it just seems to me to happen all too frequently. I vividly remember when Wichita State's team crashed in the early 70's and Marshall's Thundering Herd, as well. I think Oklahoma St. lost both their men's and women's basketball teams 10 years apart in 2001 & 2011.
For association football, I wasn't really old enough to remember the Munich crash, but I clearly recall Pakhtakor going down in the late 70s in the Ukraine; of course, the fabulous Alianza Lima team going down in Peru in 1987; and the Suriname team in 89(?) -- only because their clubs refused them permission to travel were the lives of Gullitt, Rijkaard, and other superstars spared.
It's true, teams log many, many air miles so on the whole it's probably the safest way to travel, but when tragedy strikes it strikes big. Very sad.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
@J.spurs ... I dunno, it just seems to me to happen all too frequently. I vividly remember when Wichita State's team crashed in the early 70's and Marshall's Thundering Herd, as well. I think Oklahoma St. lost both their men's and women's basketball teams 10 years apart in 2001 & 2011.
For association football, I wasn't really old enough to remember the Munich crash, but I clearly recall Pakhtakor going down in the late 70s in the Ukraine; of course, the fabulous Alianza Lima team going down in Peru in 1987; and the Suriname team in 89(?) -- only because their clubs refused them permission to travel were the lives of Gullitt, Rijkaard, and other superstars spared.
It's true, teams log many, many air miles so on the whole it's probably the safest way to travel, but when tragedy strikes it strikes big. Very sad.
Yeah, I had forgotten about some of these, in particular the OK St women's team and the Suriname crash. As you suggest, once is too often.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
It's a terrible tragedy, I didn't like hearing the voice recordings of the pilot on the news.
There is a video making the rounds of the players before takeoff mugging for the camera and generally just being excited about playing in such a big game. I don't have the heart to watch it.

LakewoodSpur

LakewoodSpur

Founding Member
There is a video making the rounds of the players before takeoff mugging for the camera and generally just being excited about playing in such a big game. I don't have the heart to watch it.
Know what you mean. I was on the FEMA Urban Search & Rescue team that deployed to recover the Space Shuttle Columbia debris and crew remains...still have not watched the tape of it disintegrating and never will.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeah, I had forgotten about some of these, in particular the OK St women's team and the Suriname crash. As you suggest, once is too often.
I read this morning Joe Hart at torino,talking about the crash they had in 1949,had never heard of this until now.Killed a whole champion winning side.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I read this morning Joe Hart at torino,talking about the crash they had in 1949,had never heard of this until now.Killed a whole champion winning side.
Yeah, and almost every member of that team, which is reckoned one of the best ever, was also on the Italy team, so it was ruined as well.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Iv seen the vids and heard the radio calls.

Simply unacceptable that the margins for error are not observed in the pursuit of the margin of profit (presume this is why the plane was told to hold and not divert etc.

How can the air traffic controllers or the pilots for that mater not have the passengers duty of care as their top priority.

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
This is beyond sad, I can hardly watch any of it.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member

Not gonna lie cried like a baby when I originally watched that video. Unbelievable scene! football bringing people together. Times like that make you wonder why fans can be so aggressive towards eachother.

Absolute tragedy what has happened I design planes helping to make them more efficient and safer etc, but when something like a basic miscalculation/error comes to light it doesn't matter how safe you try to make flying. Avoidable tragedy unfortunately.