By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Citeh (H) PL Sat 21st Nov 2020 17.30

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Chavy, I kind of see Jose's approach to these matches as "Organized Crime". We are very disciplined & organized in our set up but it's like a crime against the club's ethos but we manage to steal the results. I agree that we won't see this week in, week out but he'll utilize it in order to get the desired results.
Exactly the same format that we beat arteta with,sit deep,faff about with the ball if the press gets too hot long balls down the channels or dropping between their defenders and midfield,if you can play through a half hearted/organised press then decent on the deck passes straight up the field can really hurt them.At the right times kane,son,moura/bale/bergwjn can be three on 3 or even 2,Attacking wise even 3 versus 4 is decent odds. Teams that really commit to a high press and force teams to either turnover the ball or resort to long hopeful punts normally come out on top............Unless its a trap.

So Aurier has the ball,he has acceptable passes to hojbjerg (or sissoko) and back to Dier.All players have a city lad within 5m of attendance,but the plan/instruction is not to play through the press,so back to dier,someone pushes up on toby and diers man presses him.Aurier still has close attention as does sissoko and hojbjeg,ndombele has a loose marker.The options are hugo,reguillon (that across the box pass you are taught as kids never to attempt) or hoof.Dier goes back to hugo someone presses him,one steps up towards dier,probably someone closes slightly on reguillon,all of toby,aurier,sissoko and hojbjerg still have close marking now.Now if you do the math,they only have 10 outfield players,if they are aggresively pressing 7 of those will be in our half,it isnt rocket science that a decent outlet ball over the press but not their back 4 asks a centerback to step up and intercept or get tight and all kinds of opportunities open up if the ball reaches kane or ndombele and they can turn.
Thats very simplistic analysis but its how it works on occasion,we draw them in,the trap is set,if it doesnt work nothing lost the back 4 and at least 2 holding midfielders are at home waiting.The egotisitical naivety of some managers forcing tactical impatience on their sides (pep and arteta certainly,barca,real,& poch too I would add),when something doesnt work try something different,but they dont and an old dog like Jose will give his side more than half a chance if they follow and execute the plan.

This plan is for such a small number of managers/sides i dont think parking the bus will occur too much,is my hope.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I get it. I understand why some of you buggers want to have a nice big snog with Jomo. We are top of the table and that's nice, but I just cannot allow myself to believe that we will stay there. OK, we beat City, but how many times out of 100 would that happen in a game with stats like this?
View attachment 1364
The answer is not fucking many! If you want to get the tissues out and start pleasuring yourself about how great we are under wossisname then off you go, I won't be using many Kleenexes until I see us top of the table with less than ten games left to play, not less than ten played - premature celebration affects many football supporters and can be treated by a kick in the cobblers reality check.

MY PL season review under the cunt some of you seem to be loving a bit too much:

Everton - Acceptable first day jitters - 5/10
Southampton - Yeah! 9/10
Newcastle - Poxy 4/10
United - Yee haw! 10/10
West Ham - Fuck off, just fuck off 1/10
Burnley - scraped a lucky win - 5/10
Brighton - see above
West Brom - see above
City - Hung on, lucky they didn't convert any of their chances - 6/10

Summary - 2 good games, 1 not bad, 5 mediocre , 1 fucking rubbish. Even if I was being generous and said there were 3 good games, that's only 33.33% good and 66.% pony.

I’ll take any excuse I can get to crack open the Kleenex box.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
It is the first time since August 2014 that Tottenham will finish a day top of the Premier League and the first time they have done so after at least nine top-flight games since January 1985.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I get it. I understand why some of you buggers want to have a nice big snog with Jomo. We are top of the table and that's nice, but I just cannot allow myself to believe that we will stay there. OK, we beat City, but how many times out of 100 would that happen in a game with stats like this?
View attachment 1364
The answer is not fucking many! If you want to get the tissues out and start pleasuring yourself about how great we are under wossisname then off you go, I won't be using many Kleenexes until I see us top of the table with less than ten games left to play, not less than ten played - premature celebration affects many football supporters and can be treated by a kick in the cobblers reality check.

MY PL season review under the cunt some of you seem to be loving a bit too much:

Everton - Acceptable first day jitters - 5/10
Southampton - Yeah! 9/10
Newcastle - Poxy 4/10
United - Yee haw! 10/10
West Ham - Fuck off, just fuck off 1/10
Burnley - scraped a lucky win - 5/10
Brighton - see above
West Brom - see above
City - Hung on, lucky they didn't convert any of their chances - 6/10

Summary - 2 good games, 1 not bad, 5 mediocre , 1 fucking rubbish. Even if I was being generous and said there were 3 good games, that's only 33.33% good and 66.% pony.
It's interesting at least, that those stats against City are probably not disimilar to most teams experience against them and yet increasingly they lose. Our stats used to be in reverse with Poch, where we would dominate possession but not always win. Lots of different ways to play the game. Your own PL analysis is of course your own and perhaps a bit harsh, since we're sitting on top of the pile and without the Newcastle VAR and West Ham debacle we would be 4 points clear. I guess those things happen in the course of a season and may serve ultimately to be an early reality check/kick up the arse that Mourinho can use effectively.

Personally I loved the win on Saturday evening for the team and to take the opportunity to go top. I didn't enjoy the manner of it and watching it felt like being repeatedly stabbed with a pin. I'm still not enamored by Mourinho either, he clearly now feels 'safe enough' to be able to resort to type - chest bumping and snarling back with Hojbjerg at the end, defensive warrior style. This is certainly one way to beat City, it's also used by Leicester and others to good effect. But there are other ways as displayed by Liverpool, United and Lyon. We beat them by the same score in February (with the same referee) and the stats were almost identical, I don't remeber the game being such a backs against the wall effort, with Kane on Saturday almost playing as a defensive midfielder. Clearly we have a new shiny bus, or a 'low block' as Kane called it. Personally I only want to see it about 3 times a season and only if it guarantees us 3 points. We've used one of those occasions up on Saturday, the two others are Liverpool away and Chelsea away. Just for the joy of pissing Klippity off at Anfield and Chelsea because they're Chelsea. In short very happy with the points and important win, not so joyous with how we got there, it's not Spurs.

The rest of the season so far. Newcastle unlucky, they (and this has happened before) got very lucky with woodwork, great goalkeeping and a VAR, West Ham just totally unprofessional, players fault, won't happen again. Everton were off and running, we deserved to lose, United and Saints great, Burnely, Brighton, WBA three horrible matches, but they're always horrible and there will be more against teams fighting for their lives - Sheffield United, Palace, Watford type games have in the past and will in the future be miserable to watch, especially away from home. The important thing is that we found a way to win, which we might not always have done in the past, that's the positive. The negative is the style of play, but was it that much different under Poch, in these 'horrible games'. We probably had more possesion but didn't create much. I can certainly remeber a lot of recent games where we struggled against Burnley, WBA and Brighton.

We're top of the league, that's a great positive, winning when we're not always playing well another good sign and worth enjoying for the moment. We have some difficult games up (because we haven't played many of the better teams yet) and we'll see what happens prior to Christmas. For now I think we're doing well but let's not confuse parking the bus and counter attack with Spurs traditional style and flair.

Someone said once - “It’s no use just winning, we’ve got to win well.” and that bloke was the very embodiment of the club. Let's not forget that and what it stands for.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Someone said once - “It’s no use just winning, we’ve got to win well.” and that bloke was the very embodiment of the club. Let's not forget that and what it stands for.

Mate while I 100% agree with your sentiment.... let's take the Yid tinted glasses off.... and agree to admit that that club has gone and the THFC corporation has replaced it.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Mate while I 100% agree with your sentiment.... let's take the Yid tinted glasses off.... and agree to admit that that club has gone and the THFC corporation has replaced it.
That's also partly true. But I'm old skool and still love things like the FA Cup, Burkinshaw, watching Hoddle and Ossie and standing up at games.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
That's also partly true. But I'm old skool and still love things like the FA Cup, Burkinshaw, watching Hoddle and Ossie and standing up at games.
Mate I'm with you.... but its exciting to see what we may become.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Mate I'm with you.... but its exciting to see what we may become.
Indeed it is....but I fear in not many seasons time, when there's a European Super League, Joe Lewis is dead and Levy owns most of the Caribbean islands, we will be owned by a billionnaire American and called Tottenham Riot playing against Manchester Rain, Barcelona Protest, Juventus Cheats and Paris Couture, in an NFL league format. At that point I'' be an old armchair Spurs fan but much prefer going to Wycombe Wanderers to watch them in the FA cup.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
1606185053485.jpeg