By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Domestic cups

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
A thread for the newly named EFL cup (league cup) and the FA cup.

Tonight the draw is made for the 3rd round of the league cup where we enter the comp!!
Steve-Perryman.jpg

Last edited:
Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I really, really want the dippers to be battered by Accrington Stanley!

The League Cup has to be the easiest route to shiney things? Just win four games and we have the precious, piece of piss innit?

I am trying to disremember last year, I will one day.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I want us to win everything.....

However these will have to go if we want to remain at the top table. Let's see just how good those kids are...?

Soz it's a pathetic cop-out pragmatic approach, but it my opinion and I'm allowed one so fuck you...!!!

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
The omens are good if you believe in omens.

We are no. 26 in the draw, the number of the King.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Home to Gillingham. Chance for some fringe players to get a go. Decent draw.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Feel like we're about due one of these, either League or preferably FA Cup. Thing about the LC is that with the right draw you can pretty much put out a reserve team and still get near the business end of the thing. If you think about it, we've got so many players that are supposedly on the verge of seriously challenging for first team minutes that we really need a cup run or two to get them games, if nothing else.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
The omens are good if you believe in omens.

We are no. 26 in the draw, the number of the King.
It's also the number of John Terry, whom Woody left standing at the top of the box like an idiot to head it home and make it 2-1 in '08...

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I want us to win everything.....

However these will have to go if we want to remain at the top table. Let's see just how good those kids are...?

Soz it's a pathetic cop-out pragmatic approach, but it my opinion and I'm allowed one so fuck you...!!!
No reason with the squad we have we cant have a go,even with the rotation required for CL and PL,we are much stronger than last sept,even if its just cos fazio wont play to fuck it all up!!
We can name an excellent XI that arent starters in the league and have a chance IMO.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Feel like we're about due one of these, either League or preferably FA Cup. Thing about the LC is that with the right draw you can pretty much put out a reserve team and still get near the business end of the thing. If you think about it, we've got so many players that are supposedly on the verge of seriously challenging for first team minutes that we really need a cup run or two to get them games, if nothing else.
Yeah look at pool and chelsea,the old being out of europe argument,but outside of their 1st team fringe players will struggle to get game time,and when you need them thro injuries to 1st team players they arent up to speed.If we want to see onomah,winks,davies,trippier,wimmer progress they need experience,matches,and with wanyama,janssen we have a better squad and wont have to bang on dier,kane,toby every match like last season.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Round three ties are due to be played the week commencing 19 September 2016.

Draw in full:

Nottingham Forest v Arsenal

Leeds United v Blackburn Rovers

QPR v Sunderland

West Ham v Accrington Stanley

Southampton v Crystal Palace

Swansea City v Manchester City

Fulham v Bristol City

Bournemouth v Preston North End

Tottenham v Gillingham

Everton v Norwich City

Derby County v Liverpool

Northampton v Manchester United

Brighton v Reading

Newcastle United v Wolves

Stoke City v Hull City

Leicester City v Chelsea

That is a very favourable draw,and the away ties for arse,liverpool,united,city will at worst keep them honest,meaning rest too many any they could fall,chavs away to leics is obviousy a bonus!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Justin Edinburgh will be a happy man.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I think we can all expect to see Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Wimmer, CCV, Wanyama, Winks, Carroll, Son, Edwards and Janssen or Kane for this one....can't we?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
100% agree @Don Diaz.

We singly won't be able to spread this even thinner squad acros 4 competitions.

Kids for the cups

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Kids for the cups indeed but I feel the kids can take us far and maybe we can add some stronger players if we get further in the comps. I know top 4 is the main target again, ans a good CL run too but I like it when we lift up big shiny items at Wembley. It feels like its a bit important too.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The draw has been kind to us send the bench/upcoming out and see who we draw next should we win!!Thing with this competition win a couple of matches and you`re in a semi-final,then what happens with rotation?But we have a decent 2nd eleven for this comp,so give them their chance,maybe progress and bonus players rising into the team from performances.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
The draw has been kind to us send the bench/upcoming out and see who we draw next should we win!!Thing with this competition win a couple of matches and you`re in a semi-final,then what happens with rotation?But we have a decent 2nd eleven for this comp,so give them their chance,maybe progress and bonus players rising into the team from performances.
Agreed, unless we draw the scum, if he does what he did last season again, I will be grumpy as fuck. They have a tough away game so hopefully they will not progress.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I think we can all expect to see Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Wimmer, CCV, Wanyama, Winks, Carroll, Son, Edwards and Janssen or Kane for this one....can't we?

We can now expect to see something more like this depending on form, rotation, injuries and suspensions etc.

Vorm
Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, Davies
Wanyama, Winks
Son, Sissoko, N'Koudou
Janssen

which ain't a bad squad team at all and is still missing Carroll, Edwards, Onomah or anyone else in the First XI that needs game time. I like it.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
I want to see the likes of Edwards, Onomah and Winks get 90 minutes. Lets see what they're made of. Or at worst a full 45 minutes.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Only one shock this round so far,with high flying everton beaten at home by pritchards norwich.Lets hope we arent another casualty tonight,a kind draw next round and then the last eight would be great!
Easier to take it seriously when you are just two rounds from a cup final.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Oh well won't be easy, should be a cracking game....see Arsenal got lucky again.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
This will be a test of how much Poch wants this cup. Liverpool will without doubt put out a strong team. If we don't we'll get done. That's the bottom line. Tonight's performance was excellent but it was Gillingham.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
This will be a test of how much Poch wants this cup. Liverpool will without doubt put out a strong team. If we don't we'll get done. That's the bottom line. Tonight's performance was excellent but it was Gillingham.
Unfortuntly its between pools WBA at home and Palace away fixtures not the most demanding that could force rotation for them.Saying that merely add Toby for one of the CBs and dembele or Dier in MF and we have a good chance with the same-ish team up there.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Our #EFLCup fourth round game at Liverpool will take place on Tuesday 25 October - 7.45pm kick-off. #COYS

Cs9tGy5W8AApPw3.png

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Might go to this game if finances permit and I can get a train back to Manchester after the game!
Spurs fan living in Manchester goes to Liverpool for the night..... Buy body armour would be my suggestion! Lol

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/foot...in_league_cup_tie_against_liverpool_1_4724390
Spurs boss Pochettino set to trust his youngsters in League Cup tie against Liverpool
Mauricio Pochettino says he has no qualms about throwing his youngsters in at the deep end and selecting them for this month’s League Cup tie against Liverpool at Anfield.

The Spurs boss gave debuts to a number of academy products in the last round of the competition, on September 21, as the Lilywhites thumped League One outfit Gillingham 5-0 on home turf.

Eighteen-year-old centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers made his first competitive appearance for Tottenham and 20-year-old midfielder Harry Winks was given his first start, while 19-year-old Josh Onomah was also named in the starting line-up and scored his first goal for the club.

The three substitutes that night – summer signing Georges-Kevin Nkoudou, 21, Marcus Edwards, 17, and Anton Walkes, 19 – also made their first outings.

Spurs face a much tougher test in the last 16, having been drawn away against a Liverpool side who are not involved in Europe.

Reds chief Jurgen Klopp has therefore named strong sides in the League Cup thus far, and the Merseysiders have won 5-0 at Burton Albion and 3-0 at Derby County.

Nonetheless, Pochettino has suggested he will trust his youngsters again and give them a chance to show they are ready to compete against some of the Premier League’s established stars.

“For me, they are not kids or boys, they are players,” the Tottenham manager told Ham&High Sport. “To show and to prove that they can compete and have the quality to stay in the first team, it is the same to play against Gillingham at White Hart Lane and against Liverpool at Anfield. They need to show [what they can do].

“We believe in them and if my team is the same as against Gillingham or there are some changes, they need to prove they have quality. You know, always the big, big players start their careers [somewhere] and they need to make their debut sometimes in a difficult place like Anfield.

“We are involved in the Champions League and [Liverpool] are not involved in European competition so it’s a good opportunity for our players who don’t play too much, or the younger players, to build their reputation and build their career and confidence for the future.”

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Liverpool away is quite obviously a different kettle of fish to Gillingham at home. I'm sure Klopp wants to go one better than last season and actually win something and this represents a decent chance for them, so I'm sure he will stick out a very strong team.
If we go with the same side I don't see us getting a result but I'm not unduly bothered. We have an excellent chance in the league and of getting into the latter stages of the European Cup so the league cup, I'm afraid, is not so important.
If we were closer to the final then I might feel differently but we'll have to see what happens.
I'd also very much like to see Edwards get more than a cameo role. Maybe 45, possibly 90 minutes.