By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

EFL cup (league cup) 2017/18

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
images

We have enterd the competiton in the 3rd round and are at home to either barnsley/derby,week commencing sept 18th

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41033878

Third round draw
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City

Everton v Sunderland

Leicester City v Liverpool

Manchester United v Burton Albion

Brentford v Norwich City

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol Rovers

Burnley v Leeds

Arsenal v Doncaster Rovers

Bristol City v Stoke City

Reading v Swansea City

Aston Villa v Middlesbrough

Chelsea v Nottingham Forest

West Ham United v Bolton Wanderers

Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town

Tottenham Hotspur v Barnsley/Derby County

Bournemouth v Brighton and Hove Albion

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Carabao Cup
Due to the delay to the scheduling of the Barnsley v Derby County second round tie, our third round home tie versus the winners is likely to take place in the fourth round week of 23 October.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
What the fuck is a Carabao? Without Googling, does anybody know?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Spammers at home,not ideal as far as resting players,but decent fixture for us.

League Cup fourth-round draw

Arsenal v Norwich City

Bournemouth v Middlesbrough

Bristol City v Crystal Palace

Chelsea v Everton

Leicester City v Leeds United

Manchester City v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Swansea City v Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Ties to be played in the week commencing 23 October, 2017

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
:oops:

17 October: Madrid v Spurs
22 October: Spurs v Liverpool
24 October: Spurs v West Ham efl cup
28 October: Man Utd v Spurs

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
The usual 'play the reserves' in the League Cup bollocks has started already. The Tinpot cup merchants saying these these 2nd rate competitions get in the way of our true goal - qualifying for the Champions League. Maybe some are saying that us playing in the Champions league this season gets in the way of us qualifying for next season?

I would experience deep joy if we were to lift the Carabooby Cup at Wembley and I think our players would as well. What's not to like about the League Cup? It's a lovely big shiney thing. There are no fucking replays. It's just four more games, for fecks fecking sake if we can't deal with 4 games then we are really fucked. Losing to the pikeys would be fucking appalling, I am still getting over the fucking scum League Cup debacle, the Poch has been forgiven for that one, but I don't think I could deal with another night like that. A must win game for sure.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
I've heard the,old bill, have called for,the,top tier to be shut, so that means the crowd will be down, to below 60k , and mean West Ham will get (15%) 9000 , rather than 13.500 should there be a 90k crowd ..
Sounds unfortunately plausible

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I've heard the,old bill, have called for,the,top tier to be shut, so that means the crowd will be down, to below 60k , and mean West Ham will get (15%) 9000 , rather than 13.500 should there be a 90k crowd ..
Sounds unfortunately plausible
DKPCXvVW0AAjjXB.jpg

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
:oops:

17 October: Madrid v Spurs
22 October: Spurs v Liverpool
24 October: Spurs v West Ham efl cup
28 October: Man Utd v Spurs
Blimey 4 big games in 12 days, this is football for grown ups, now that we're regular CL qualifiers..!!

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
The usual 'play the reserves' in the League Cup bollocks has started already. The Tinpot cup merchants saying these these 2nd rate competitions get in the way of our true goal - qualifying for the Champions League. Maybe some are saying that us playing in the Champions league this season gets in the way of us qualifying for next season?

I would experience deep joy if we were to lift the Carabooby Cup at Wembley and I think our players would as well. What's not to like about the League Cup? It's a lovely big shiney thing. There are no fucking replays. It's just four more games, for fecks fecking sake if we can't deal with 4 games then we are really fucked. Losing to the pikeys would be fucking appalling, I am still getting over the fucking scum League Cup debacle, the Poch has been forgiven for that one, but I don't think I could deal with another night like that. A must win game for sure.

Pochettino basically came out and said it himself this cup isn't a priority. I disagree personally I don't think it matters what cup the players win. The fact would be that they have won! Much like Man United last year.

Pochettino saying about winning the premier league and champions league (bit far fetched) being our aim is fair enough but from a players perspective and us having the chance to keep hold of our stars, thrusting any of the cups on offer in the air after a final will help alot!!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Blimey 4 big games in 12 days, this is football for grown ups, now that we're regular CL qualifiers..!!
The game after man u away is Real at home as well !! then palace home then scum away and then dortmund away,hopefully like the last 2 years poch hits his stride in oct/nov !!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Pochettino basically came out and said it himself this cup isn't a priority. I disagree personally I don't think it matters what cup the players win. The fact would be that they have won! Much like Man United last year.

Pochettino saying about winning the premier league and champions league (bit far fetched) being our aim is fair enough but from a players perspective and us having the chance to keep hold of our stars, thrusting any of the cups on offer in the air after a final will help alot!!
Had a to and fro with a journo on twatter,he said time to ditch the league cup&meaningless fixtures,I said well what about international friendlies then,and is no games really better?Its why we have 25 man squads,i dont see a problem myself.If you want to get rid of all the meaningless games drop lge cup,europa lge,and cut the PL to 10 teams!!!No one in the final in feb calls it a shit cup!!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Our @Carabao_Cup round four tie v West Ham has been selected for live coverage by Sky Sports and will take place on 25 October (8pm). #COYS

DKVHZvsXkAEVBv7.jpg

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'm so torn (is it engine oil) the cup is only as relevant as the teams make it.

If other top tier teams disrespect it so should we. I dont think we should but we don't have to give it any more respect than it deserves.

Our squad is arguably thinner than other top sides so we should prioritise accordingly. I'm not saying play the kids but we should rest the players we can and have enough to get what ever result we deserve.

The league should do something about it and make teams field proper sides.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Tricky this. I could say that we are tying to run before we can walk, but that might be seen as defeatist. To be honest what are the chances of us winning the Champions league this year, next year the year after? Slim I would have thought. Same goes for the Premier League title. We might not like it but money does make a massive difference, competing with teams like City and United in the long term is always going to be unsuccessful. We have been punching well above our weight in the last few seasons and if we were to lose 2 or 3 key players we would be back to the mid table position we have held for the entire time I have been supporting Spurs, which is over 50 years, just to wind up the numpties.

Saying that the League Cup is beneath us is a bit like me saying I will only eat Fortnum and Mason hummus because I am too posh for Tescos. We had all that old nonsense when we were in the Europa League - it was a Mickey Mouse cup and not respected - why didn't we win it then if it was that shite?

Sadly, the playing field will never be level. If players wages and transfer fees were controlled and every team had the same budget then competition would be fair, I can already hear the screams of the capitalists saying that sounds like communism - but really, what else would you expect from me? Football is like real life, the rich fucks get the cream while the rest of us get penetrated up the backdoor. We might get lucky now and again and win something, but to be at the top table year after year requires the sort of money that clubs like the proper 'big clubs' have in their sky rockets. It ain't sport, it's fucking economics and I find that sad. OK, it might sound bit too left wing for some of you, but how good would it be if all the Premier League clubs were to have the same transfer budget and all the players were payed the same? OK, not happening, so we have to live in the real world.

Maybe the league Cup is at the correct level for us? Can anyone truly say they weren't buzzing like fuck on the 24th February 2008? Did Robbie, Lederrrrly and the lads look like it was a Mickey Mouse Cup? It could be seen as arrogance if we decide the League Cup is beneath us and we play the under 9s team, it could also be counter-productive because winning this cup, which is without doubt the easiest of all the trophies to win, would give our players a real boost. They is just human beans and they like to win, winning the Carrybooboo Cup could just be enough of a pat on the back to make sure they are not tempted to pack their bags and toddle off - Danny Rose excepted, can get his suitcase packed.

Of course the dream is to win the premier League and the Champions League, but without huge amounts of wedge those goals are unlikely. Look at the City squad, they could field a reserve team that could win the Premier League, we struggle to field a first team that could do that, we can do that of course but losing a couple of players fucks us up totally. Losing Toby, Harry , Dele or Christian because they can earn 3 times what they earn with Spurs would be a disaster and the 'transition' would start again at the beginning. Maybe the warm cuddly feeling they would get winning the League Cup would make them believe we could win one of the big ones next year and maybe, just maybe put off moving to Real Madrid for a season or two? Shiny new stadium, fighting to maintain a mid-table position - the new Everton or the old Tottenham Hotspur?

Winning stuff starts off with winning stuff, aiming to only win the big one could lead to winning fuck all, Let's win this fucker and see if the winning effect carries on to the new stadium. It's just 4 games for fuck's sake. Just 4 wins and we can all walk round swinging our huge todgers in the faces of all the other teams. Loverly jubberly.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
Tricky this. I could say that we are tying to run before we can walk, but that might be seen as defeatist. To be honest what are the chances of us winning the Champions league this year, next year the year after? Slim I would have thought. Same goes for the Premier League title. We might not like it but money does make a massive difference, competing with teams like City and United in the long term is always going to be unsuccessful. We have been punching well above our weight in the last few seasons and if we were to lose 2 or 3 key players we would be back to the mid table position we have held for the entire time I have been supporting Spurs, which is over 50 years, just to wind up the numpties.

Saying that the League Cup is beneath us is a bit like me saying I will only eat Fortnum and Mason hummus because I am too posh for Tescos. We had all that old nonsense when we were in the Europa League - it was a Mickey Mouse cup and not respected - why didn't we win it then if it was that shite?

Sadly, the playing field will never be level. If players wages and transfer fees were controlled and every team had the same budget then competition would be fair, I can already hear the screams of the capitalists saying that sounds like communism - but really, what else would you expect from me? Football is like real life, the rich fucks get the cream while the rest of us get penetrated up the backdoor. We might get lucky now and again and win something, but to be at the top table year after year requires the sort of money that clubs like the proper 'big clubs' have in their sky rockets. It ain't sport, it's fucking economics and I find that sad. OK, it might sound bit too left wing for some of you, but how good would it be if all the Premier League clubs were to have the same transfer budget and all the players were payed the same? OK, not happening, so we have to live in the real world.

Maybe the league Cup is at the correct level for us? Can anyone truly say they weren't buzzing like fuck on the 24th February 2008? Did Robbie, Lederrrrly and the lads look like it was a Mickey Mouse Cup? It could be seen as arrogance if we decide the League Cup is beneath us and we play the under 9s team, it could also be counter-productive because winning this cup, which is without doubt the easiest of all the trophies to win, would give our players a real boost. They is just human beans and they like to win, winning the Carrybooboo Cup could just be enough of a pat on the back to make sure they are not tempted to pack their bags and toddle off - Danny Rose excepted, can get his suitcase packed.

Of course the dream is to win the premier League and the Champions League, but without huge amounts of wedge those goals are unlikely. Look at the City squad, they could field a reserve team that could win the Premier League, we struggle to field a first team that could do that, we can do that of course but losing a couple of players fucks us up totally. Losing Toby, Harry , Dele or Christian because they can earn 3 times what they earn with Spurs would be a disaster and the 'transition' would start again at the beginning. Maybe the warm cuddly feeling they would get winning the League Cup would make them believe we could win one of the big ones next year and maybe, just maybe put off moving to Real Madrid for a season or two? Shiny new stadium, fighting to maintain a mid-table position - the new Everton or the old Tottenham Hotspur?

Winning stuff starts off with winning stuff, aiming to only win the big one could lead to winning fuck all, Let's win this fucker and see if the winning effect carries on to the new stadium. It's just 4 games for fuck's sake. Just 4 wins and we can all walk round swinging our huge todgers in the faces of all the other teams. Loverly jubberly.

I agree, we can't compete, itsjust a shame the league table can't be made of factors to make it fairer.
1 league points as current , but zero points for an away team, in a 0-0 draw ( so theyant park the bus)

Now with 2,3,4 , you add the bonus points together, and if you spend the most on wages, transfers and have leads anount of academy/English players 1+1+1 =3 and this would result in a bonus of just 1 pt
If you spend 15th highest on wages, 18th on transfers and play the most academy/ English players 20th , the chances are you'd get 18 bonus points .......

2 all teams can pay their players as much as they want.......but if City pay £500m ayear and Brighton pay the least at 100m.......City get 1 bonus pt, and BHA get 20 bonus Pts , and all the other teams are awarded points accordingly
3 same as above on transfers pay what you like, but the more you pay the least number of bonus points.
4 if you play English youngsters and or acedemy the more minutes you play per season, the more likelihood of earning bonus points......

In last year Chelsea would probably have got 2/3 bonus points overall, whereas Spurs would probably have ended up with about 12 bonus points ......
Oh well it'll never happen

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The intriguing things with this cup is the way its significance develops or reduces as the season progresses.No doubt Poch is right in sept to say its not very important in the grand scheme,But progress past west ham and look at it end of oct,it may seem a bit more worthwhile.If you are still in it in dec,no europe games until feb then it looks much better alround.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
The intriguing things with this cup is the way its significance develops or reduces as the season progresses.No doubt Poch is right in sept to say its not very important in the grand scheme,But progress past west ham and look at it end of oct,it may seem a bit more worthwhile.If you are still in it in dec,no europe games until feb then it looks much better alround.
Of course mate, it would be massively significant if it's the only competition we were left in. If we're out of everything then the 'shoulda coulda woulda' brigade will be moaning that we shoulda but we didna.

For me the question of how important the League Cup is is* irrelevant, the next Carrybooba game is West Ham at 'home', if we don't play our best side in that one I will be grumpy as fuck. Losing to the pikeys at home in any competition is totally unacceptable, I don't care if it is the best mascot trophy, the best pies, the least ugly chairman cup, it is a must fucking win!

After we win and there are only 3 games left in the League Cup and we are in the quarter finals will it become more important? All the tactical bollocks about prioritising games is just bollocks, players need to play then they get injured, they get tired, they improve, they get revitalised, they get fucked off, they get their confidences boosted/busted, blah, blah, blah. Every game is important and every game needs the strongest team available on the field not sat on their arses being saved for next week. But having said that, the developing players need game time as well - so.... fucking dilemma innit?

*is is? is is that right? I thought I speaked proper England but that looks wrong.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Apparently West Ham are a bit upset that their share of the profits for the Carrybag Cup game could 45% of fuck-bleeding-all, which according to my rfiffmatic skills is not very much. The cost of renting Wembley stadium is to us massively more than they pay for renting their stadium so the chances of a profit being achieved in this game are slim as fuck, and as the opposition sides are only entitled to a share of the actual profit they will get zilch. I am sure Mr Levy and his accountants will make absolutely sure that the maximum profit made own that night will be one English quid and he will present the 45p in cash to the two Davids at the match , maybe he'll be generous and round it up to a fiver because I doubt if he bothers with coins?