By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Fantasy Summer Business!

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Nope I haven't created some new form of transfer market fantasy football for us all to play in the summer.

I'm more interested in seeing what people think we need, who they'd relatively realistically want us to to sign

Been thinking about what type of player I'd like us to be looking at this summer and what it would mean for current squad members who aren't getting started.

It would be easy to say signing Bale and selling Sissoko would give us a better chance if winning the league but Real Madrid selling GB anytime soon is highly unlikely.

I'll get us started with what I'd like to see in the squad.

For me I'd like a quality pacey winger type who has potential to get better than he already is, we have loads of players in the positions of Lamela (remember him!) Son, Sissoko, N'Koudou, N'Jie (remember him!) Onomah, and further down the pecking order but one plenty seem excited about Marcus Edwards.

Whenever I watch a Southampton game this season I can't help but think Nathan Redmond would be a great addition to our squad. He would I think cost 30-40mil judging by how much prem players seem to be sold for these days but that's not crazy money for a premier league club to spend on a player like that now a days, even Levy spent 30 mil on Sissoko.

What would this mean for the squad though? Personally I think Poch is at a point where he needs to improve the overall squad without ruining the balance and harmony of what has been created. I think if N'Jie isn't fancied then get rid, I had great hopes for him but if he ain't in the picture let's not waste his time or ours any more. A big signing like Redmond would also spell the end for Sissoko in my opinion too.

Now if we sold both Sissoko and N'Jie and bought a player like Redmond in we'd still have Lamela, Son. N'koudou, Onomah, Edwards and we'd be adding Redmond. That's too many for me so would probably be happy to clear some squad space up and move a couple more on. I know Lamela has been injured for a while now and we've coped fine without but I'd be sorry to see him go as think he has loads to offer, also don't see how we can improve the squad whilst selling someone who is a potential first team player, and a bloody good one at that. I think it would potentially be a good time to cash in on another youth player in Onomah as it would bring in a good bit of cash, give him the opportunity to actually play football and also free up a bit of space for Edwards to be pushed up the pecking order. What I've seen of N'Koudou I have generally liked so would be reluctant to let him go as well as Sissoko, N'Jie and Onomah, but if he had Lamela, Son and Redmond all ahead of him and Edwards not far behind him in the pecking order he might not want to stick around too long and might not be required so it's a potential player to move on but I'd personally like to give another season.

The position that also needs addressing for me is the second striker. Now i'm torn with this because I like Jansen, his lack of goals from open play aside he's looked like a good player shy on confidence when fit. I think he has more to offer than we have seen and I'm much more inclined to want him to have another season with us than say Sissoko who I'm not bothered about anymore. Having said that we don't know who will become available this summer, you only have to look at Aguero and think if he was to become available I'd want him here however unlikely we are to pay the transfer fee and wages signing a player like that would require, but even if Aguero goes elsewhere it would likely end up making another good striker available from another club and potentially start a bit of a merry go round as often happens when a top player goes from one top club to another. So with the second striker I'd say it depends on who becomes available in the summer, if someone who is a certified step up on what we have in Jansen and is genuinely gonna push Kane for his spot becomes available then I'd say move Jansen on and do the business but if it's a case of signing someone with a bit of potential like we did with Jansen last summer then I'd say we may as well stick with Jansen and give him another season to really prove himself.

I don't think there's much else we need to drastically address, some people mention second choice centre backs but I don't realistically think we're gonna get many people better than Dier who are gonna sit on the bench behind Jan and Toby without causing a fuss. If Wimmer is happy with his place in the squad I'm happy with him and CCV as they are.

Now I know this thread is all hypothetical and all a matter of opinion without any "official" media links but that's kind of what I'm gong for here. I'm wondering what your opinions are players for the summer.

I'd like to add that I would love for us to make a marque signing if any of Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern, or City (Aguero) are looking to move a top player on but with these signings it all comes down to them only being available to us if they simply ain't wanted anymore a bit like VDV so have avoided going for this type of transfer and tried to think of players I like that could add something to our squad and we could more than likely attract to the club.

So go for it folks!!! Who is impressing you and who would you be putting forward to Poch/Levy if you were at the club?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I thought I knew a bit about this stuff, but as it turns out I don't.......because if I did I would understand why we seem obsessed with signing a pacy little left-sided winger from France, then when we do they don't get a game. We pay a lot of money (over say 5 years) for Sissoko and then he gets played out of position/doesn't fit either and we sign Wanyama when we have Dier/Dembele playing brilliantly. Wanyama turns up slots into Diers position and does arguably even better and Dier goes back to a defensive 3 and looks a bit vulnerable on occasion. so clearly I know fuck all!!

But if I did, I would say that I agree with you - so does @Yid btw, I like Redmond. I liked Mane too but that ship has sailed up the shit creek called the Mersey and if we all had hindsight this transfer malarky would be easy.

I'd give Janssen another season and would have bought the other Moussa Dembele, now at Celtic. I like that Kelechi Iheanacho at City as well, but our scouts probably know of someone playing in Croatia who's really good. Dier doesn't look as good at CB as he did last year, not sure I'd want to replace him, because I don't know who with and we have CCV and Wimmer, only Poch knows if they will make it.

Mousa is getting on and not as great this season as last - in terms of dominating midfield. Still playing really well, but he was exceptional last year. Think that's about it, but like I say I haven't yet been invited to the training ground to share my views with Poch....!! One of the things that is important is that whoever injects a bit of new blood this Summer they will have to fit in with the overall squad mentality and character, which seems brilliant at present.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I thought I knew a bit about this stuff, but as it turns out I don't.......because if I did I would understand why we seem obsessed with signing a pacy little left-sided winger from France, then when we do they don't get a game. We pay a lot of money (over say 5 years) for Sissoko and then he gets played out of position/doesn't fit either and we sign Wanyama when we have Dier/Dembele playing brilliantly. Wanyama turns up slots into Diers position and does arguably even better and Dier goes back to a defensive 3 and looks a bit vulnerable on occasion. so clearly I know fuck all!!

But if I did, I would say that I agree with you - so does @Yid btw, I like Redmond. I liked Mane too but that ship has sailed up the shit creek called the Mersey and if we all had hindsight this transfer malarky would be easy.

I'd give Janssen another season and would have bought the other Moussa Dembele, now at Celtic. I like that Kelechi Iheanacho at City as well, but our scouts probably know of someone playing in Croatia who's really good. Dier doesn't look as good at CB as he did last year, not sure I'd want to replace him, because I don't know who with and we have CCV and Wimmer, only Poch knows if they will make it.

Mousa is getting on and not as great this season as last - in terms of dominating midfield. Still playing really well, but he was exceptional last year. Think that's about it, but like I say I haven't yet been invited to the training ground to share my views with Poch....!! One of the things that is important is that whoever injects a bit of new blood this Summer they will have to fit in with the overall squad mentality and character, which seems brilliant at present.
You're spot in with them needing them right attitude/mentality. Another reason Redmond would be appealing to me is because he seems to work hard on the training ground in order to improve on the playing field. I don't just think he's a good player but a good player who with the right coach and team around him could be better. Although I've made a big deal out of signinga winger I already appreciate lamela and son are good and Edwards looks like a star in the making and n'koudou doesn't look bad either but as a player like Redmond would be a step up on sissoko in my opinion.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I would simply trade in sissoko,lamela,son,wimmer,onomah bringing in around £70m and offer the whole lot for rashford.
If we get him,amazing if we dont?we will wind up mourinio,the whole of man utd and show a shift in position of our special relationship with them.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I would simply trade in sissoko,lamela,son,wimmer,onomah bringing in around £70m and offer the whole lot for rashford.
If we get him,amazing if we dont?we will wind up mourinio,the whole of man utd and show a shift in position of our special relationship with them.
but..but...we'd have no-one left for the league Cup and the Europa league.......:rolleyes:

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I've also thought about Radhford a fair bit as he isn't getting as much time as a player like should be and if manure sign griezman I'd imagine he'd have ibrahimovic, griezman, and martial ahead of him. Playing under poch knowing what he's done for young English players like Rose, Walker, Dier, Dele, and Kane would make us a good place for him for sure. Seems impossible now but put griezman in the mix and things could change.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Quite like the look of the Fulham player Ryan Sessegnon, young left back who can also score goals. Presses and would be a good understudy to Rose in a 343 where Davies can cover LCB.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Quite like the look of the Fulham player Ryan Sessegnon, young left back who can also score goals. Presses and would be a good understudy to Rose in a 343 where Davies can cover LCB.
apparently speculation in papers that Davies is about to sign a new 4 yr deal,someone send tissues to that bloke in the other place.....

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
The very little I've seen of him looks good too. Rose is only young himself too.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
apparently speculation in papers that Davies is about to sign a new 4 yr deal,someone send tissues to that bloke in the other place.....
It's a race between him and Toby....

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member

We can cater with keeping Davies as well.

Maybe we can get Dorset to fake up some links about Davies leaving and post it on the other place.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
We can cater with keeping Davies as well.

Maybe we can get Dorset to fake up some links about Davies leaving and post it on the other place.
Because of Brexit no Welsh players will be allowed in the Premier League?

Somebody has explained in very short words to Donald Trump that the border between his country and that other one where the bad people come from is yuge, so he's going to build his wall between England and Wales because of that Welsh teacher bloke who was on a school trip with pupils, and removed from the plane because his name sounded a bit muslim. Build a wall and stop that bad man with his dodgy sounding name driving up the M4 to Heathrow then getting on a plane to the US. Build that wall!

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
What would this mean for the squad though? Personally I think Poch is at a point where he needs to improve the overall squad without ruining the balance and harmony of what has been created.
This is bang on imo. This is the next step for Pochettino. I reckon we need to strengthen while we are in a good place and the secret will be not upsetting what he has already built.
Would I replace any of our first 11 atm, probably not tbh. On their day they are better than everything in the league so I'm not so sure he'll go after a marquee signing who'll demand first team football. I really don't know who fits the bill tbh. I really like Redmond but he's going to cost a packet and is he so much better than we have? I'm not so sure. Fuck it, I don't know is the simple answer. Just buy Griezmann and have done with it.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The thing is with all this, who are you going to replace with someone better that fits the Poch way....because whoever we bring in now is going to be of such quality they will want to start. That's the benefit of Janssen, Son and Sissoko for the moment anyway, same goes for Trippier and Wimmer etc.

The only one who might be of the same mentality is Rashford, the Griezman's of this world, even Redmond, and other players that are currently first team of decent clubs are unlikely to want to come to Spurs and be part of a squad.

Chelsea have shown this season (and previously when successful under Mourinho) that a small squad is successful. You don't need to use 24 players a season even with European football.

It is important to keep things fresh and keep strengthening but who to replace tough one, don't know, not sure we've seen the best of this team yet, beating Chelsea 2-0 at home looked pretty good though.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Would certainly be interested in signing someone like Tielemans.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Agreed about the balance & harmony.
This post is to maintain it & tweek it without additions.

I'd also like a pacy winger too but we seem to play at our optimal strength when in a 3-4-2-1 formation using Walker & Rose as our pacy wide men.

As @conor1 stated we've got a very strong first X1. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't sign a 'name' player.
Therefore, even if we don't sign someone, we may be able to strengthen the squad from within.

I may be wrong, but I'd be curious to see if the following would work.

A simple shift to a 3-4-1-2 formation.
The only changes would be to push Dele up next to Kane while dropping Lamela in behind them.
These three would present more than a handful for opposing defenses

My reasoning for choosing Lamela over Eriksen is that he has skill & vision while being far more tenacious than Eriksen in winning the ball back. I've always felt he was more creative when in the middle but he hasn't had that many opportunities. His pressure from inside could produce far more dividends as well. The sooner we win the ball back up field the better. Less distance to cover to get to goal. Imagine Kane, Dele & Lamela looking to win the ball back. It would be like a pack of wolves with Dembele & Wanyama providing squeezing them further & at the ready to pounce. I would think that would be rather daunting for opposing defenses. Maybe they would rather we have the ball than be hunted like that.

And when Lamela tires, bring on Eriksen to wield his magic.

That's only if it is status quo. I doubt it will be.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
The thing is with all this, who are you going to replace with someone better that fits the Poch way....because whoever we bring in now is going to be of such quality they will want to start. That's the benefit of Janssen, Son and Sissoko for the moment anyway, same goes for Trippier and Wimmer etc.

The only one who might be of the same mentality is Rashford, the Griezman's of this world, even Redmond, and other players that are currently first team of decent clubs are unlikely to want to come to Spurs and be part of a squad.

Chelsea have shown this season (and previously when successful under Mourinho) that a small squad is successful. You don't need to use 24 players a season even with European football.

It is important to keep things fresh and keep strengthening but who to replace tough one, don't know, not sure we've seen the best of this team yet, beating Chelsea 2-0 at home looked pretty good though.
A player like Griezman would always want a first team spot and could be a problem for United if they have him and Ibrahimovic. I'm sure Redmond would understand that he's at a club that wants champs league and regular title challenges and be less of a problem when rotated. The one thing I do know is it's gonna be difficult to upgrade anywhere in this current squad, unless Levy pulls an ace out of his sleeve. Which I'm not expecting.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
A player like Griezman would always want a first team spot and could be a problem for United if they have him and Ibrahimovic. I'm sure Redmond would understand that he's at a club that wants champs league and regular title challenges and be less of a problem when rotated. The one thing I do know is it's gonna be difficult to upgrade anywhere in this current squad, unless Levy pulls an ace out of his sleeve. Which I'm not expecting.
Keane from Burnley, depending on Poch's view about Wimmer and or Dier at CB in a 3

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Keane from Burnley, depending on Poch's view about Wimmer and or Dier at CB in a 3
Talking of Burnley what's people's thoughts on Andre Grey? Haven't seen too much if him and I'm certain he wouldn't get into our first team butvhe could potentially be a dangerous impact sub. I'm not saying I want us to go in for him but musing over whether he'd be good enough from the bench.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Talking of Burnley what's people's thoughts on Andre Grey? Haven't seen too much if him and I'm certain he wouldn't get into our first team butvhe could potentially be a dangerous impact sub. I'm not saying I want us to go in for him but musing over whether he'd be good enough from the bench.
Isn't he another nippy winger????? if he was playing in France we'd definitely be interested.....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Out of all the players we have been linked with for me,no to zaha,Barkley yes,Tielemans yes,but like many comments keeping the squad happy and balanced is utmost.If big IF lamela comes back,sissoko starts to show,Janssen gives us hope then really we have nkoudou njie to sort out if they return/stay,edwards to join the squad fulltime in which case its back to talking about CB cover and striker options.Being that we have wimmer,CCV and davies as cover (saying that we play 3 cbs in dier,toby,jan) so its upgrade really,and striker is a problem because quality is either too expensive if proven (wages) and who else will sit on the bench waiting for a chance unless they are young and a gamble for us&them.
I know thats not really fantasy,but niether is wilf zaha!!Its all about who moves on and who comes in for me.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
I'd like us to buy players capable of taking a place in the starting eleven. We seem to have arrived in a place where we all think our current starting eleven is set, which in truth it is given the current squad of players. I'd like to see us sign players to improve the first eleven, not just the squad. Who that is I don't know, and I'm fairly certain we won't be spending that sort of cash anyway. I fully expect another frustrating transfer window.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'd like us to buy players capable of taking a place in the starting eleven. We seem to have arrived in a place where we all think our current starting eleven is set, which in truth it is given the current squad of players. I'd like to see us sign players to improve the first eleven, not just the squad. Who that is I don't know, and I'm fairly certain we won't be spending that sort of cash anyway. I fully expect another frustrating transfer window.
We all want us to improve the first eleven but being realistic about would suggest its difficult for us to do that as the type of player who would walk into our team is usually at a bigger club on bigger money or on their way to that already. So next logical thing to do is improve the squad with young players that can improve the bench and hopefully get better and push the current starters. Unless someone becomes surplus to requirements, a vdv type transfer then I don't see who were gonna be able to get that slots straight into the team.

Saying that pich and the team around him may have already unearthed the next star player.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Especially with the bombshell that the stadium is now costing £800m and not £400m,get ready for some belt tightening.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Especially with the bombshell that the stadium is now costing £800m and not £400m,get ready for some belt tightening.
Or they repay the loans over a longer period at the same rate they budgeted for.....hence having a much lesser effect. There's always a solution.

In addition and @Flump remeber that if Poch decides to replace Eriksen for example, it's only the incremental difference that is relevant or 'cost' we might get say £35m for Eriksen and buy XXXXXX for £45m, the cost is only £10m.

For the avoidance of doubt I don't want to sell Eriksen, just an example...the same goes for the rest of the squad.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Bit of a curveball but I just wonder if Pochettino is looking to ultimately replace Dembele!!!. massive player for us and an absolute favourite of mine but he has had his injury issues, I think he's one of the older lads in the squad and recently he's been the first player subbed. I'm not by any stretch advocating that he moves on but I just wonder if it is a position that the gaffer is looking at upgrading down the line. A goalscoring Dembele is definite fantasy summer business.
Just read that back and I feel unclean. Winger, CB, striker are always the positions we look to as fans that need tweaked. Thing is we have the best keeper in the league, the best back four in the league, the best striker in the league.......is Dembele at the top of his game atm? Its harsh I know but I just struggle to see where we upgrade.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Bit of a curveball but I just wonder if Pochettino is looking to ultimately replace Dembele!!!. massive player for us and an absolute favourite of mine but he has had his injury issues, I think he's one of the older lads in the squad and recently he's been the first player subbed. I'm not by any stretch advocating that he moves on but I just wonder if it is a position that the gaffer is looking at upgrading down the line. A goalscoring Dembele is definite fantasy summer business.
Just read that back and I feel unclean. Winger, CB, striker are always the positions we look to as fans that need tweaked. Thing is we have the best keeper in the league, the best back four in the league, the best striker in the league.......is Dembele at the top of his game atm? Its harsh I know but I just struggle to see where we upgrade.
Dembele is quite a unique player to just replace and although winks is very different to him I've a feeling poch will have him playing in dlp position more consistently over the next 18 months.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Dembele is quite a unique player to just replace and although winks is very different to him I've a feeling poch will have him playing in dlp position more consistently over the next 18 months.
Agreed mate. A brilliant player imo and as you say quite unique with regards to what he brings. I suppose I'm thinking more about how the gaffer evolves this team over the coming years and who the first casualty might be so to speak. Such a tough question to answer tbh