By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

From another time and another place...

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Once upon a time in a forum far, far away, some truly magical posts were made and here are some of them:

I'll start off with my favourite post of all time, by the much loved and sadly missed king of the forum Rudi.

Spurs History Questions 5th December 2013, Rudi responding to jayesar:

Loving learning as much as I can about spurs history but can't seem to track down a source for a few questions. Hoping some older heads can help me out.
You've come to the right person.
1. When/Why did spurs adopt the motto "To Dare is to do". The club has adopted it officially, so I imagine there is a date and a good reason (apart from it being a badass motto).
"Audere est Facere" is actually product of slight mistranslation. On the inside of a toilet in the changing rooms of the Cricket Club from which THFC was formed in 1882, someone had written "Audrey is a goer", referring to the then girlfriend of the club captain and opening batsman. The collection of chaps who formed the first football team thought this hilarious and it became a kind of in-joke which was then crudely translated into the Latin as it stands today.
2. We are heavily associated with attacking football, to the point that some fans would prefer we lose playing attacking football rather than grind out a win. When/how/why did this association start? I can only guess that it is a throwback to our glory days when we invented the 1-2 and eclipsed teams with attacking flair. I also guess that it is derived from the famous Bill Nicholson quote (my signature If memory serves).
Bill Nic is certainly a touchstone for our relationship with an attacking kind of football but the team played that way, in fact, due to a rather peculiar piece of geography. Like Yeovil's famous sloping pitch, Haringey used to be on a fairly benign gradient all the way down into the Thames Valley. As such the ball would travel much faster towards one end meaning Spurs had little choice other than to employ speedy front men and for no player to dawdle on the ball as it would just roll off of its own accord!

When the laws were updated and teams were made to swap ends each half, the club attempted briefly to get around this by having the players come onto the pitch in the second half from the other side, making them think they were kicking the other way. This, however, was soon stymied once the cockerel was installed at one end, somewhat giving the game away and the board were forced to flatten the pitch. By then, of course, the preferred style had stuck and we've played much the same way ever since.
3. When did the association with Jews begin. Was North London always a hotspot for Jews or did they settle in after a specific world war?
You're right to highlght that the world war was specific, it being confined almost solely to this world, but the Jews have long been associated with North and East London. You may have read about the Jewish defence of the area against Oswald Mosely's black-shirted fascists in 1938 (The Battle of Cable Street) but less known are the previous incarnations such as The Cable of Bottle Street when the community set up the first crude telephonic network ever seen in a major city, allowing any spike in the price of dradles, bagles or kreplach to be rapdily disseminated throughout the community.

The reason Jews became associated with the club, however, is because we were local and Jews, being as lazy as any other community (except Mexicans who invested all their energy into a single mouse, apparently),thought it easiest to just turn up and watch the local team.
4. When learning about spurs heroes, am I best to stick with the famous 5 + Ledley King? Who else should be on that list.
To stand out as a genuine connoisseur of the game and of Spurs' rich history I'd suggest going for players such as Ghaly whose no 8 jersey is famous amongst fans as it covered more ground than the player himself, or, to be extra-refined, Rasiak. When youngsters ask who he was you can just patronisingly wink and pat them on the head, and when older folk ask who he was you can nod and say "I know, right?" making his shirt a win/win proposition.
Thanks for any and all help.
Hey, if you don't ask you'll never know.
x

rudi_zpsfkzj38v0.jpg

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
More often than not the most fucked upped heads contain the most incredible minds. ripRudi

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
I know I shouldn't guys :oops: but I tried to look on the forum from another time and it appears to have crashed over the last few days unless they have blocked us old farts as they like to call us. There again I don't go on by logging on.

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
I know I shouldn't guys :oops: but I tried to look on the forum from another time and it appears to have crashed over the last few days unless they have blocked us old farts as they like to call us. There again I don't go on by logging on.
It's down ???......that's terrible news I'm heartbroken

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Rudi was a nice fella.

I remember an incident where I became possessed by a pirate and spent the evening spouting shit unbeknown to my cincious self...

Fuck that was enthralling the next day...

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
It's back up......that's terrible news I'm heartbroken. :(;)

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'm torn...

I don't want to see what I helped build crumble as I and some of you invested heavily in it.

On the other hand the ungrateful cunts who now own and frequent the place actually make my skin crawl.

It was a glittering union of lads who were all focused on coming together and discussing similar stuff and having a fucking great criac at the same time.

It kinda evolved into its own living monster but there was still the undertone and commitment of the core members who contributed and kept building the community.

I dunno if it got too big. I dunno if it's just how fans have now ecoloved or that myself and other simply grew frustrated with the incessant vitriol spouted at the first sign of anything not perfect on or off the pitch.

I think it's mostly the culture of the instant gratification we are now immersed in that meant people who hadn't been there for the shit times simply had no concept of how good the overall package had become.

Anyways I won't be loging in as I don't know my password anymore. I'd end up loosing my rag at the cunts anyway an nuking the entire forum off the face of the Internet.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
It's back up......that's terrible news I'm heartbroken. :(;)
Nah mate, it's good to have a lurk in there now and again just to remind us of how much better it is here. It is a shame what happened there like @Yid said but it happened, the lunatics took over the assylum and we have moved on.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Rudi was a nice fella.

I remember an incident where I became possessed by a pirate and spent the evening spouting shit unbeknown to my cincious self...

Fuck that was enthralling the next day...
Rudi was a top fella, tried to find the Rudi armband for my avi on here but it's on an old computer I've since thrown out.

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
I'm torn...

On the other hand the ungrateful cunts who now own and frequent the place actually make my skin crawl.

Who are the new owners and do they actually contribute to the posts?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Who are the new owners and do they actually contribute to the posts?
No they dont post anything,even when moderators are pleaing for them for help.They have done 3 crap homepage articles is all,one of which was about a fighting cock rival forums video.They are from the land of ratfishboy.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
No they dont post anything,even when moderators are pleaing for them for help.They have done 3 crap homepage articles is all,one of which was about a fighting cock rival forums video.They are from the land of ratfishboy.
Should we have some 'homepage' articles? i think you were thinking about writing one pre season about manager comparisons and predictions weren't you? I reckon there are a couple of scribes on here that could do a short piece if it helps the site?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Should we have some 'homepage' articles? i think you were thinking about writing one pre season about manager comparisons and predictions weren't you? I reckon there are a couple of scribes on here that could do a short piece if it helps the site?
I guess when the Gvnor wants to present it more to others out there.