By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Harry Kane

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
I do wonder how this plays out from a legal and contractual point of view.

Obviously the club are almost inevitably going to fine him, but then if i remember correctly, the maximum fine that they can impose under PFA rules is 2 weeks, so that'll be beer money to him and he'll pay it without a second thought.

But then what ?. If he submits a formal transfer request, it'll obviously be rejected out of hand so if he continues to stay away, do the club then attempt to sue him for breach of contract ?

I know a lot of articles have said that he has no power in this current situation due to having 3 years left on his deal, but I'd argue slightly differently. I'd say his 'power' is his valuation. Lewis and Levy must realise that if they force him to stay and hold him to his contract, that valuation starts to tick down until it becomes zero when he refuses to sign another deal and leaves on a free.

But then I don't know why he doesn't submit a formal transfer request really. Any money or bonuses he'd lose out on would be quickly recouped by City almost inevitably doubling his wages to £400k-plus per week

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

I stole this from Twitter but it really does give you a different slant on the whole situation I think.

xxx.jpg

The part that said "Kane has derailed Nuno's preparations, probably unsettled the squad and thrown Nuno to the dogs at the start of his tenure" really got me the most.

I still think Kane deserves to go off and win trophies and medals with another club but he could have at least had the fucking decency to Skype or Zoom with Nuno for a sit-down and talk it out with him.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

Berbatov famously missed two games at the start of the 2008-09 season to push through a £31 million ($41m) switch to Old Trafford, but does not support the approach Kane is taking to try and secure an even more controversial transfer.

“I was surprised. I don’t think it’s the right way. I never boycotted training, that’s the difference," the former Tottenham and United forward told The Sun.

“I didn’t play two games. It was difficult for me to admit but I found the power to say, ‘If I play, my mind will not be there, so I will be in the way of my team-mates doing their job’.

“But training is easy. It’s behind closed doors, most team-mates will understand you, and it will be easy to let go of some stress with banter and jokes.

“I hope Harry resumes training, then the difficult and interesting part comes - the games.

“If it’s going to happen, I think it will be the last day of the window. But I would love it to be resolved sooner, because I don’t want to see him boycotting games."

It has been reported that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is holding out for a £160 million ($222m) fee for Kane, and Berbatov can understand the firm stance he has taken.

The Bulgarian feels Kane's status as a club legend will be at risk if he joins City, as he added: “If I was Levy, I would do the same. He is fighting for his team. It was different for me because I was a foreigner from a small country and it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

“Kane is at his home and is a world star. He is going to leave people disappointed, especially the fans who worship him. Some understand, others never will. Football is cruel, the pain is going to be bigger than when I left.”

Yid

Yid

Founding Member

Berbatov famously missed two games at the start of the 2008-09 season to push through a £31 million ($41m) switch to Old Trafford, but does not support the approach Kane is taking to try and secure an even more controversial transfer.

“I was surprised. I don’t think it’s the right way. I never boycotted training, that’s the difference," the former Tottenham and United forward told The Sun.

“I didn’t play two games. It was difficult for me to admit but I found the power to say, ‘If I play, my mind will not be there, so I will be in the way of my team-mates doing their job’.

“But training is easy. It’s behind closed doors, most team-mates will understand you, and it will be easy to let go of some stress with banter and jokes.

“I hope Harry resumes training, then the difficult and interesting part comes - the games.

“If it’s going to happen, I think it will be the last day of the window. But I would love it to be resolved sooner, because I don’t want to see him boycotting games."

It has been reported that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is holding out for a £160 million ($222m) fee for Kane, and Berbatov can understand the firm stance he has taken.

The Bulgarian feels Kane's status as a club legend will be at risk if he joins City, as he added: “If I was Levy, I would do the same. He is fighting for his team. It was different for me because I was a foreigner from a small country and it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

“Kane is at his home and is a world star. He is going to leave people disappointed, especially the fans who worship him. Some understand, others never will. Football is cruel, the pain is going to be bigger than when I left.”
Sorry, but he is talking shit...

When he left it fucking hurt just as bad... he was the best I'd ever seen in a Spurs shirt...!!! We've had some crackers before and since but at that time in my short Spurs life, he and Gaza (i only really got to see 1 game of properly of Gazza and that was cut short by his career ending injury) were top of the tree.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Berbatov and Keane were class. That dream strike partnership you always hope to find.

I wonder if Kane is redeemable in the eyes of many Spurs fans though. I imagine his idiot brother is probably pulling most of the strings in this, but I wonder what happens if Kane releases a statement and explains his side of things and why he wants to go.

If you think about it, he's got nothing to lose by throwing Levy under the bus and revealing some 'inside' secrets regarding their relationship and any such "gentleman's agreements" that may or may not have been made.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
All of Kane's posturing is completely pointless. Unless City forks over 150 mil, he's not going anywhere. City paying 100 mil for Grealish points them in a horrible negotiating position. He's only two years younger and has about 200 fewer PL goals than Kane. Just from a business perspective, If I were Levy I'd ask for 180 mil. Still a bargain comparatively. But yeah, Levy's still a big cunt.

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
So what does Harry do if City decide to go for Messi instead of him?

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

So what does Harry do if City decide to go for Messi instead of him?
That’s going to be fascinating to see in a weird sort of way. He’s made it clear he wants to leave but if City pull out, he’s literally going to have nowhere to go unless his idiot brother can persuade PSG to bid for him.

You could argue that it’s a kind of career crossroads that may well have a long term effect on him - almost weirdly reminiscent of the Saido Berahino situation if you think about it.

Maybe we’ll see a rather rapid return from Florida with some kind of excuse that it wasn’t about him staying away, it was a “family matter” or something like that.

Last edited:
Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
The reality is that we may get £120m plus a player for Kane but I can't see City paying much more than that tbh. Personally I'd take it. Kane will want at least a 4, 5 maybe a 6 year contract...but he's 28 and has form for carrying niggling injuries. And will he be the same player when he's 31/32 ? Regardless of what happens now. I genuinely hope there will be a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this, but as each day passes I'm losing faith.
I honestly never thought Harry would conduct himself in such an unprofessional way. I'm still hoping it's all bullshit, and if he leaves, he leaves with integrity.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I'm still waiting for official statements from THFC and Kane. Everything posted at the moment is just speculation. I do believe though that both parties are damaging their reputations by staying silent. Levy will probably not give a fuck about what the fans think him being a cunt.

Whatever the outcome of Kanegate is, we all know that forcing an unhappy player to stay at the club is worse than useless, it always has a negative effect on the rest of the squad. I feel sorry for Nuno, what a poxy way to start a new job. Levy out, ENIC out and maybe Kane out?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'm still waiting for official statements from THFC and Kane. Everything posted at the moment is just speculation. I do believe though that both parties are damaging their reputations by staying silent. Levy will probably not give a fuck about what the fans think him being a cunt.

Whatever the outcome of Kanegate is, we all know that forcing an unhappy player to stay at the club is worse than useless, it always has a negative effect on the rest of the squad. I feel sorry for Nuno, what a poxy way to start a new job. Levy out, ENIC out and maybe Kane out?
At this point mate I'm hoping they wind up all this footballing shit and crack on with concerts and that mincey version of ruggers...!!!

Right now the blessed cheese room is the only reason I want to visit THSC.

I concur, FUCK LEVY & FUCK ENIC...!!!

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Interesting. Apparently Kane can buy himself out of his contract by invoking the "Webster Ruling"

It's unlikely to happen though as he'll almost certainly be sued, but, apparently, he does meet the requirements to invoke the ruling.

Last edited:
USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
I mean. If he does this then he really gives zero fucks about us supporters and his legacy at THFC.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
I mean. If he does this then he really gives zero fucks about us supporters and his legacy at THFC.
I think we would be at full scale Judus at this point. Are his advisers really that bad/stupid to try?

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

I think we would be at full scale Judus at this point. Are his advisers really that bad/stupid to try?
There are some people online who are actually comparing this to what Judas himself did but, for me, I don't think it's anywhere near the same.

It's not giving an interview where you express your love for the club and then fucking off on a free transfer to your most hated rivals a few weeks later.

I suppose, at it's most basic level, it's quitting your job and moving on to another one that pays better and has more prospects.

But then Kane's idiot brother Charlie is his agent so I guess there's nothing that's really off the table, although everything really hinges on Messi and what happens there I think.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
I'm pretty sure that was actually Daniel Levy.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I have no idea what will happen. Either he'll turn up to play as contractually obligated or Levy & co will get a massive pile of cash to spunk into a ceiling fan.

These transfer sagas, though, are always a reminder that a lot of these people involved every aspect of football are not very bright.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Could be an interesting twist in the tale as reports now emerging that Messi is supposedly about to agree a deal to move to PSG.

Could this mean Kane suddenly finds some more money down the back of the sofa to extend his stay in Florida ?

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
Could be an interesting twist in the tale as reports now emerging that Messi is supposedly about to agree a deal to move to PSG.

Could this mean Kane suddenly finds some more money down the back of the sofa to extend his stay in Florida ?
"Hi Daniel? Yeah, sorry, I know I said I'd be there tomorrow, but we just got to the front of the Hogwarts Express line at Universal, so I might be a bit late. Oh, and the airline has messed up, my flight's been rescheduled to land in Manchester. Love to all my fans, see you soon..."