By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Harry Winks

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Fucking hell that's a bit of a blind swipe...

I tend to agree though that his technical ability would be very well suited to the amount if time on the ball you get out there...

Saying that if he can do it here and make it work in a super fast league like the Prem... he will be an even bigger asset.

Top player in the making.
I think he could be sublime in the role next to Wanyama, who needs ratfish boy..

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Fucking hell that's a bit of a blind swipe...

I tend to agree though that his technical ability would be very well suited to the amount if time on the ball you get out there...

Saying that if he can do it here and make it work in a super fast league like the Prem... he will be an even bigger asset.

Top player in the making.
He has been handled well,he didnt need loan spells like some kids,he has all the gifts and therefore needed to train with the squad,as hard as the squad and was ready to come straight in.He has the confidence like dele,attitude like Kane to improve and is like a terrier with a rat once he has the ball,has a better shot than wanyama and dembele.Just needs some more experience and keep injury free to be a huge player for us.
Easy to forget in such a stellar season we have had no lamela,rose,kane,winks for large parts,also if he was spanish or anything but english he would be hailed as the next big thing,he would still have got game time in barca or real if he was coming through their academy IMO.

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Congrats Harry ,first of many !!

#THFC's Harry Winks has received his first England call-up after injury forced #MUFC defender Phil Jones & #MCFC's Fabian Delph out of squad

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Well deserved I say !! but I think too soon

If he's good enough to play for Spurs then he's good enough to play for an England team that has very few options in the middle of the park. It's only Slovenia and Lithuania, which pretty much equates to a mid tier pl side and a relegation threatened pl side, if that!

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Really exciting to see him continue on from last year in the last couple of games and also good to see Onomah doing well at Villa.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He could really be our own modric/carrick/iniesta hybrid,I really mean that.His passing and shooting is pretty good,and signs that he has learnt that dembele cant shake him off the ball thing now.Small in stature but like Ardiles makes the team tick along and once poch beefcakes him a bit more in training,he will be englands CM for the next 10 years.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/engl...ing-rare-calmness-ability-to-receive-the-ball

Young Harry Winks already showcasing a rare calmness, ability to receive the ball

There was one particular moment during Harry Winks' coming-of-age performance at the Bernabeu a fortnight ago that was largely inconsequential, but said so much about Winks' maturity and composure.

In the 52nd minute, Tottenham regained possession from Real Madrid in their left-back zone, partly thanks to Winks pressuring Raphael Varane. The ball fell to Jan Vertonghen, and so Winks took the opportunity to glance over his right shoulder, scanning the pitch quickly. As Vertonghen played the ball towards him, Winks again looked over his right shoulder, before playing a first-time ball to Toby Alderweireld, and then looking again, this time over his left shoulder.

ADVERTISEMENT

As Alderweireld receives the ball, Winks looks over his right shoulder, and then when the Belgian plays the ball out to his compatriot Vertonghen, Winks has an extra-long glance, scanning first the right wing, then the right-back zone. As Vertonghen plays the ball towards him, Winks has a final look over his right shoulder, and then controls the ball, draws in Toni Kroos, and switches a long, 50-yard ball out to Serge Aurier on the right. The Ivorian isn't being tracked by Cristiano Ronaldo, and has 40 yards of space to break into.

In eight seconds, Winks does eight things -- two passes, and six looks. It's simple but crucial -- Winks is not, at this stage of his career, a great passer because of his pinpoint accuracy (he slightly overplayed the pass to Aurier) or his vision (in the same move he conceded possession with a straight pass that was a little too obvious) but because Winks, unlike many other English midfielders, knows how to receive the ball.

Passing quality is often spoken of only in terms of how the pass is played, but logically there are two parts to any pass -- the giving and the receiving. The latter is frequently overlooked: it's about head movement, body position, first touch, being able to take the ball on the half-turn, preferably both to the left and right.

It's particularly important in the age of heavy pressing -- players in Winks' position are no longer afforded time to pick and choose their next ball. Instead they're being pressured immediately, forced to make passes quickly, and therefore need to give themselves every half-second they can.

It's partly why Jack Wilshere was so exciting upon his introduction to the Arsenal first-team in 2010-11 -- he wasn't just comfortable at playing passes, he was comfortable at receiving them, as he demonstrated in that memorable display against Barcelona in 2011. Winks' display against a similar calibre of opposition inevitably drew comparisons.

That constant checking over the shoulder is particularly crucial. It was a hallmark of Paul Scholes' play in that deep-lying position, partly because he was accustomed to receiving the ball in more advanced positions where he had less time on the ball, and therefore when brought into a deeper role those good habits came along. Frank Lampard was another always scanning the pitch for options, and particularly adept at letting the ball run across his body, using his frame to hold off opponents before distributing the ball wide.

i

Harry Winks Tottenham injury return Jonathan Brady/PA Images via Getty Images
Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, admitted that having been told his head movement wasn't good enough by Brendan Rodgers earlier in the 2013-14 campaign, was so desperate to keep looking over his shoulder for options that he took his eye off the ball for that crucial miscontrol and slip against Chelsea. Even a player like Gerrard never entirely mastered a seemingly simple aspect of midfield play.

After English football spent much of the 2000s working out how to incorporate its best midfield talents in the same national team, the 2010s has been an entirely different story. At Euro 2012, Andrea Pirlo outwitted England because they didn't have enough bodies in that zone, at the 2014 World Cup England looked like a 4-2-4 at times and were again overrun, and Euro 2016 saw the sudden, bizarre use of Wayne Rooney in a midfield role.

The current squad is desperately short on quality in that position -- Dele Alli will be used as more of a support striker, Eric Dier is as much a defender as a midfielder, and Jordan Henderson has established himself as a regular despite never particularly impressing in an England shirt.

The fact Gareth Southgate has recently handed starts to Jake Livermore, a functional but unspectacular player for West Brom, the Premier League side who care least about possession, shows how desperate England are in that zone. Winks did well upon his debut against Lithuania last month and should he hold down a regular position in the Tottenham side, will have a great chance of starting at next summer's World Cup, not least because he knows Alli, Dier, Harry Kane, Danny Rose and the recently departed Kyle Walker from club level.

Tottenham is a good fit for Winks, and not just because Mauricio Pochettino likes bringing through youngsters. Spurs supporters appreciate midfielders with guile on the ball -- Winks isn't quite Glenn Hoddle in possession, but there are certainly elements of the silky Luka Modric, one of his opponents in this week's clash at Wembley. Modric wouldn't have been appreciated at other clubs, where work rate and tackling quality take precedence. But Modric's calm, graceful habit of collecting possession from one flank before distributing it across to the other made him a fan favourite, and an inspiration for Winks.

"When I was coming through the academy at a young age he was someone I always used to watch at White Hart Lane," Winks said after returning from the Bernabeu. "I still admire him to this day -- he's a fantastic, world-class player. To play against him was special.

"Him and Toni Kroos, they are two world-class players, players I look up to, so when you go on the pitch with them it's easy to get a little bit daunted by it...being on the pitch with them you realise their quality and just how good they are."

But it also makes you realise how good Winks is, that he can play up against them and shine away at the European champions. Increasingly, youngsters should be looking up to Winks -- not just for his contributions in possession, but for his approach before he's even received the ball.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
If Southgate doesn't take him to the World Cup then he's not interested in winning it. I was always struck by his willingness to receive the ball under pressure but he impresses me more the more I see of him, taking players on with the ball and making good reads out of possession.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I love Winks. He has that Modric passing ability and tenaciousness, but I've also started to notice his Dembele drop of the shoulder when passing players. Blend those combinations together and.... Well shit you have a worldie on your hands.

If hendo gets on ahead of him for any reason southgate is a Muppet. The guys shite, and if you can build a team containing the spine of Tottenham you don't need to train them how to play together. Trippier, dier, winks, Alli and Kane should all be in the starting 11. Probably Rose to really. Thankfully I support Norn Iron and don't have to worry about that, when inevitably it doesn't happen.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
I love Winks. He has that Modric passing ability and tenaciousness, but I've also started to notice his Dembele drop of the shoulder when passing players. Blend those combinations together and.... Well shit you have a worldie on your hands.

If hendo gets on ahead of him for any reason southgate is a Muppet. The guys shite, and if you can build a team containing the spine of Tottenham you don't need to train them how to play together. Trippier, dier, winks, Alli and Kane should all be in the starting 11. Probably Rose to really. Thankfully I support Norn Iron and don't have to worry about that, when inevitably it doesn't happen.

Walker could be added to that!

What i love about Harry is he just does the basics well! Nothing flashy just proper solid! He’s bounced back from injury and imo is now 1st choice for us

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member

What i love about Harry is he just does the basics well! Nothing flashy just proper solid! He’s bounced back from injury and imo is now 1st choice for us
He's going to be a great player if he keeps developing. Not sure about first choice yet if everyone is fit and firing. you have Dembele, Wanyama, Dier to potentially fit in as well as Winks......and Sissoko of course.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He's going to be a great player if he keeps developing. Not sure about first choice yet if everyone is fit and firing. you have Dembele, Wanyama, Dier to potentially fit in as well as Winks......and Sissoko of course.
First choice for me now,its not just the level he performs,but he is the future and like Dele the more he learns now the better it will be.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
First choice for me now,its not just the level he performs,but he is the future and like Dele the more he learns now the better it will be.
That's how I see it mate, he's the future. I love the mousse but I don't want us to become reliant on a player who's gonna spend the rest of his career managing an injury. Harry can learn from him and we can get more out of Demblele by using him sparingly when needed rather than pushing him back into injury again.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member

Who....?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
That's how I see it mate, he's the future. I love the mousse but I don't want us to become reliant on a player who's gonna spend the rest of his career managing an injury. Harry can learn from him and we can get more out of Demblele by using him sparingly when needed rather than pushing him back into injury again.
I think as well as the future,winks is here&now,it will prolong dembele`s career if he takes a ledley level of appearances and saves his hip for when its needed.I am just guessing but he just isnt a 38 league games injury free type of guy,shame because if he could score +10 goals a year he would be thought of as a true top player in any league.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Great player, naturally suited to the pace of the PL, having him and Dembele as options in midfield is great, both offer something different.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member

We have a very special coaching team. I'd guess most teams in the Prem contain mainly British/Irish youth but most will never see the lights of their respective stadium with managers like Mourinho, Pep and Conte at the helm with money to burn.
It's a strange position we are in. Foreign players are able to play in their top league's at a young age due to the huge gap between top/bottom half of the league. The prem is so competitive managers worry about every game. Young English talent really struggle to get through, and at an international level no player is ever going to be look at from a lower league even with gems like Alli hiding in there.

Winks seems like a bright lad.. Speaks very well in these interviews. Some football players open their mouths and you can tell they dropped out of school in about P2!

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
We have a very special coaching team. I'd guess most teams in the Prem contain mainly British/Irish youth but most will never see the lights of their respective stadium with managers like Mourinho, Pep and Conte at the helm with money to burn.
It's a strange position we are in. Foreign players are able to play in their top league's at a young age due to the huge gap between top/bottom half of the league. The prem is so competitive managers worry about every game. Young English talent really struggle to get through, and at an international level no player is ever going to be look at from a lower league even with gems like Alli hiding in there.

Winks seems like a bright lad.. Speaks very well in these interviews. Some football players open their mouths and you can tell they dropped out of school in about P2!

What was really good to hear or not to hear I should say is he didn't use the phrase 'to be fair'!

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Stories circulating that Barcelona want him.

Says plenty.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Oh.... hold on might we face them in the last 16.... fucking mind game playing fuck pieces.

Fuck my hate for both those shit cunt spanish clubs is growing.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I actually think he might be better than Dele.

The one thing this kid understands is tempo. And he knows how to change it up or down as needed. Once he comes to grips with how incredible his vision is and parlays that into his rather ridiculous distribution then we will have one hell of a player on our hands.

Given even luck with injury he will be better than Modric. He may even be the new Pirlo.

Yes, I believe he is going to be that good.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I actually think he might be better than Dele.

The one thing this kid understands is tempo. And he knows how to change it up or down as needed. Once he comes to grips with how incredible his vision is and parlays that into his rather ridiculous distribution then we will have one hell of a player on our hands.

Given even luck with injury he will be better than Modric. He may even be the new Pirlo.

Yes, I believe he is going to be that good.
Its a bit of the old natural god given ability vs desire&graft.Kane vs aubemeyang for example.One is better than other because he wants to be,I think its the same with winks,he wants to be and works harder to get there,thinks about how to be better,listens to those coaching/advising him.Dele has it all except kane and winks mental application IMO,not saying winks is better than dele (yet),but if dele`s head was in the same place as kane and winks he could be truly world class,instead of showing flashes of brilliance.

Its kind of harry hasnt got the skills of dele but his head makes up for that and more,choosing the right options as well as having vision and decsion making.For the level of experience he has,to do what he has done against Real and now Dortmund is incredible,and he is only just starting out.Having watched the U19s yesterday,its the problem Edwards has,has all the skills,but choices he makes on the pitch let him down somewhat.I guess when you are good,think you are good you dont always take on board what the coach wants.I hope Kane and Winks are examples to dele and edwards of what our coaching team and manager can help them become.