By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Harry Winks

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Lets hope you`re a wizard Harry!!!

NEW CONTRACT: We are delighted to announce that @HarryWinks has signed a new contract with the Club until 2021.

CsdlAG5XgAELGMB.jpg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/foot..._is_perfectly_suited_to_his_talents_1_4715397
Spurs midfielder Harry Winks feels Pochettino’s philosophy is perfectly suited to his talents
Harry Winks believes Mauricio Pochettino’s philosophy is ideally suited to his talents and he is itching to get more opportunities to play alongside Tottenham’s internationals.
The 20-year-old midfielder made his first appearance for Spurs in November 2014 but, at the start of this season, he only had three substitute outings to his name.

Nonetheless, the time spent on the training ground with Pochettino and the Lilywhites’ senior stars over the last two years has been profitable, and Winks is now getting more chances to show his passing ability and skills in front of the back four.

He was a prominent figure during Tottenham’s pre-season campaign, facing Juventus, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan – and he then made his first start for the club last Wednesday, running the game in the 5-0 home win over Gillingham in the League Cup, before coming off the bench against Middlesbrough and CSKA Moscow.

“I’m playing with top-quality players and every day I’m improving,” said Winks. “I’m learning from a great manager as well. He teaches us a lot and the way his philosophy is, it suits me to a tee.

“My game is to take risks. I can be sturdy and solid when I need to be, but ultimately we want to score and in order to do so you have to take risks. In my position that’s what I’m able to do and hopefully I can affect the game in that way.

“I want more - a lot more - but I understand I’m young and I have to bide my time and be patient. I’ll just continue to work hard and hopefully go forward from there.

“The summer’s trip to Australia was massive because I played against top opposition, playing with top players, and it was an experience which I learned a lot from. Playing in senior football, against top opposition, I could take that experience into this season.”

Winks added: “It’s great for all of us young, aspiring academy boys [to see the players who have gone before us].

“We want to be where Harry [Kane] is, where Ryan Mason was, Tom Carroll - players like that. We want to get there, and to see them succeed and doing so well only gives us more motivation to get there.

“I look up to a lot of the boys who have been there and done it. As a midfielder I look up to all of them – [Mousa] Dembele and [Eric] Dier.

“[Victor] Wanyama has helped me out a lot, especially in pre-season. I just want to grow my own game and I’ll take any bit of advice I can get from anyone.

“It was nice to have big presences on the pitch against Gillingham, like Erik Lamela, [Kevin] Wimmer, [Vincent] Janssen, [Christian] Eriksen - players who have actually been there and done it. Having those players around me and talking me through it was key for me.”

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Harry Winks completed 104 passes vs. CSKA; more than any other player in the Champions League tonight. 96% pass accuracy.

CzGxXlrXEAA3yB0.jpg

CzGxXk2XUAMZ1w-.jpg

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
My MOTM last night at Wembley. Harry has everything for such a youngster and it's hard to believe he is still only 20. He displays so much modest confidence which is totally justified. He has the skills and vision to use these skills for the benefit of those around him. He looks frail but that does not show itself in tackles and possession of the ball. A great future at Spurs.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...and-he-will-not-blow-his-chance-a3451521.html
harry-winks.jpg

Harry Winks is one of the emerging stars of the Premier League but his talent first began to shine on a far less glamorous stage.

The Faroe Islands have little football tradition. The population is about 50,000 and the senior national team have won only 11 competitive matches. So when the Nordic Under-17 tournament took place there in 2012, it did not figure prominently on the radar of the global game.

Winks, then 16, was part of the England squad that travelled to the competition, and were beaten in the final by Sweden. The coach, Kenny Swain, wanted every player in the 18-man party to start at least one of the four games, meaning Winks was left on the bench for the final.

It was no reflection on his performances, as Winks had excelled until then, quickly earning the admiration and affection of a group that included Winks’ current Spurs team-mate Dele Alli, Jordan Rossiter — then of Liverpool, now at Rangers — and Lewis Cook, who joined Bournemouth from Leeds last summer.
With England struggling in the second half, Swain sent Winks to warm up. “He went running up the touchline and immediately the other players on the bench were lifted and started shouting ‘Go on, Harry!” Swain told Standard Sport. “I remember it vividly. They knew how important he had become to the team. Dele and [Arsenal’s] Alex Iwobi were in the same age group as Harry, but Harry was the one who made the teams play.

“He was a great team member, a diamond personality, with a real thirst for learning and training. When he scored against West Ham in November (Winks’ first senior goal),I was out of my seat.

“But the challenge for English kids playing in the Premier League today takes my breath away. They have not only to get into the side, but to stay in it — at clubs who can buy some of the best players in the world.“People say there is not enough talent in the English game but look who they are competing against — the elite from every country. But Sir Alex Ferguson used to say that desire was the most important quality in players, and Harry is like a dog with a bone. He will not let this chance go. He is still developing and there is plenty more to come from him, especially physically.”Winks benefited by continuing to play school football while training at Tottenham. He attended Cavendish secondary school in his home town, Hemel Hempstead, where he still lives, in his own flat close to the home of his parents, Anita and Gary. The midfielder is less than 5ft 8ins tall yet was still a proficient basketball player during his time at Cavendish, which now works in partnership with Spurs to provide a full-time sports programme for students. He also showed a natural aptitude for middle-distance running and occasionally played rugby union. Many boys who are signed early in their lives by top clubs are discouraged from representing school or local teams, sometimes to their detriment. This was not the case for Winks, as Danny Allen, head of PE at Cavendish, explains.
“I think it helped him that he carried on playing for the school,” argues Allen. “He played about 10 games a season for us, when he did not have his Tottenham commitments. He would come to the weekly training session and it meant he could just enjoy the game for its own sake, playing with his mates.”

Winks is just one former pupil who has reached professional sport. Stoke goalkeeper Lee Grant went there, as did rugby league players Dan Sarginson and Kieran Dixon. Tottenham academy goalkeeper Brandon Austin also attended the Cavendish.

Winks is on course to be the most famous student, however. He was spotted by Mauricio Pochettino soon after the Argentine took charge in May 2014, and was quickly invited to join first-team training sessions.
He made his debut in a 1-0 win over Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League in November 2014 and played twice in that competition last term, against Qarabag and Fiorentina.

This season, though, Winks is making his mark. The 20-year-old, who is represented by Rob Segal of Impact Sports, who also have Alli on their client list, has made 22 appearances but, more importantly, he has won the absolute trust of Pochettino.

When he scored in that 3-2 win over West Ham, Winks raced towards Pochettino and the pair embraced. Yet his first thought had been to pick out his parents, watching from an executive box in the upper tier of the West Stand. He started the decisive Champions League tie in Monaco in November, where Tottenham were beaten but Winks played well. And when Toby Alderweireld was injured during the 2-2 draw at Manchester City last Saturday, Pochettino was happy to replace him with Winks.
When Nigel Gibbs, now assistant manager at Swansea, took a development role at Spurs in August 2015, Winks was already spending most of his time with the first team. “He might have wanted to go on loan in that period,” recalls Gibbs.

“But whenever he played for the development sides, he showed the same character and application as he would in the first team. What Harry has done, and others before him, shows academy players at Spurs that the pathway is there.”

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Harry is the cover star on this weeks programme too
C3L5IR3XUAA4t_A.jpg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Wow harry getting in all the media today,good lad!!Realy interesting article and insight into some of the training and demands of Pochettino.Easy to see why after a few months some were in the naughty chair and moved out,made all the easier by the fact the up and comers want to make it,and can do by training as hard as any big time charies who dont train as hard.I have no doubt its not just as easy as making lets say dembele or eriksen fitter,but that attitude to be more ,do more as well as being fitter than opponents.Really interesting to me how academy players feel about trying and how to breakthrough..Good stuff,I urge you to read it!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/27/harry-winks-spurs-tottenham

Harry Winks: ‘The buzz I get from playing for Tottenham … I don’t think it will ever go’
The midfielder, who joined Spurs as a five-year-old, talks about the influence of the ‘scary’ academy manager, John McDermott, and the brutal Gacon test the players do in pre-season
6861.jpg

Harry Winks struggles to find the words but the sense of what he is trying to get across is etched into his features. There is boyish wonder, excitement and pride but above all, there is happiness and it feels like the antidote to the cynicism in the modern game.

“The music that they play at White Hart Lane before you walk out is just ....” the 20-year-old Tottenham Hotspur midfielder says, before he tails off. “I absolutely love it. I think it’s from Star Wars. Me and my dad, when we used to stand in the crowd as fans – we used to get hairs sticking up on our necks listening to it. Being in the tunnel now, about to walk out to it, it’s still the same feeling. I can’t really describe it. It’s amazing. It really is.”
This is what it is like to live the dream. Winks has been at Tottenham since the age of five, which is one of the many eye-catching details to his beautifully scripted story. His father, Gary, is a Tottenham fanatic and Winks remembers going to his first game with him at White Hart Lane when he was six or seven.

“It was against Middlesbrough and I’d managed to get tickets from one of the guys who worked at the club,” Winks says. “I had the directors’ seats, the leather seats, bang on the half-way line. I remember the crowd, all those people singing and it’s just like ‘Wow.’ It has stuck with me. When I play now and I hear the crowd, it still gives me that buzz I had when I was at that age. I don’t think that will ever go, to be honest.”

Winks’s association with Tottenham had started after he attended a summer football camp as a five-year-old which was run by Ross Kemp (no, not that one). Kemp also worked for the club’s development centre in St Albans and he invited Winks to train there but it was not long before he was moved to the Tottenham academy at White Hart Lane.

“It was twice a week at the academy, just for an hour or so, in a ball court above White Hart Lane,” Winks says.”I remember getting the Kappa bag with all the gear inside when I was six. I progressed from there.”

The boy from Hemel has been the discovery of Tottenham’s season, exceeding even his own expectations. “I wanted to hit 20 games – not starts, just games, whether it was for five minutes or however long,” Winks says. On Saturday, in the FA Cup tie against Wycombe Wanderers, he will hit 23, most likely in the starting XI.

Winks has impressed with the range and efficiency of his passing and, in particular, his composure in pressure situations. He has demonstrated an ability to get his team off the hook or moving with a smart touch or pass and there have been several occasions when the manager, Mauricio Pochettino, has brought him on as a substitute to try to preserve a lead or dig out a foothold.
Winks’s breakthrough came in the Premier League fixture against West Ham United on 19 November. Thrust into the starting line-up, he scored the equaliser for 1-1 and more than justified Pochettino’s faith in him as Tottenham won 3-2. He ran over to celebrate with the manager following his goal, which illustrated the bond between the two and Pochettino would reveal that Winks said thank-you to him in his office after the game.
“The manager called me in,” Winks says.”I was just about to get into the shower and I had my towel on. He was there with all the coaches and they were having a glass of wine. He said: ‘Well done,’ and he gave me a cuddle. He understood how difficult the season before had been for me, travelling and not playing, and he said that. I just said: ‘Thank you very much for the opportunity, for progressing me to the first-team.’ That goal was like a thank-you. It’s why I ran to him after it.”

For Winks, it was a time to take stock of his journey through the club’s youth teams and, also, the “all or nothing” point, as he calls it, of last summer. The 2015-16 season had been tough for him, even if it had started well with an invitation to travel with the first-team to the pre-season Audi Cup in Munich.

Pochettino took only him and Josh Onomah from the outfield ranks of the academy and he would tell the other hopefuls that they could go on loan. The Argentinian prefers to keep his most talented young players with him, in order to drum his methods into them and it is not always a positive sign when they are loaned. Pochettino always refused to let Winks out.
Winks spent the season around the first-team squad but the cycle, in his words, of “travelling, being left out; travelling, being left out” was frustrating. He made only two Europa League substitute appearances, totalling 17 minutes. In 2014-15 – Pochettino’s first season at the club – Winks had made his debut as an 87th minute substitute in the Europa League but nothing more.

“I’ll be honest, last summer was very stressful,” Winks says. “Because you’re 20 years old and you’ve only played three times and never started, and you can see other boys who are playing regularly in the Premier League or the Championship. I got told I wasn’t allowed to go on loan, which was a good thing but, at the same time, I just wanted to play matches. So do I annoy the manager and try to push for a loan or was I just to keep working hard and trust him?”

Winks did the latter although, in truth, there was no decision to make. Pochettino has long had a plan for him and all Winks has ever wanted to do is play for Tottenham. He reported for pre-season training in top condition and he made it his mission to leave nothing on the training pitch.

Pochettino’s pre-season regime is unforgiving and Winks sheds light on something called the Gacon test, which is named after Professor Georges Gacon, who was, among other things, the fitness coach at Paris St-Germain, for whom Pochettino once played. It is an intermittent beep-style test, with a period of running followed by a rest and the running distance increasing incrementally.

“It’s an absolute killer,” Winks says. Yet he was one of the last men standing. “I really pushed myself to the limit,” he continues. “And the one thing the manager loves is fitness and that mental side.”
Pochettino took Winks on the club’s tour to Australia, where he excelled in the friendlies against Juventus and Atletico Madrid and, when he named him on the bench at Everton on the opening weekend of the season, Winks saw the “first signal” that he would be a part of his plans.

Advertisement
Winks talks of John McDermott, the club’s academy manager, as being “one of the most key parts of me being where I am today,” while he worked productively under the coach, Chris Ramsey, from the age of 12.

“I remember I used to be really, really scared of John when I was 12, 13,” Winks says.” He’s strict, he’s old-school and he toughens you up. He likes a tackle, he likes you to be tough but he also likes the technical side. He’s very similar to the manager.”

It is Pochettino that has taken Winks to the next level, having made an impression on him from their first meeting. “I signed my first professional contract in the summer of 2014, which was when the manager came to the club,” Winks says. “As I was signing, just next to his office, he walked in, shook my hand and said – I don’t know if he was being truthful or not – ‘I’ve seen your videos and I told John McDermott to sign you up straight away.’ I was gobsmacked.”

Winks offers insight into Pochettino’s training sessions, which begin each morning with possession drills known as “boxes”. Eight players work on the sides of a small square, trying to keep the ball from two more in the middle. It is like a rondo. Whenever one of those in the centre gets a touch, they swap places with the player that has given the errant pass.
“We’ve got this new rule – if you get nutmegged three times, you have to sing on an away trip,” Winks says. “It’s happened to Eric Dier and Josh Onomah but they’re fighting their corner and refusing to sing. There is a bit of a debate over whether their leg was up or was it down for a proper nutmeg?”

Winks says that Pochettino oversees a lot of small-sided games, sometimes as tight as two-versus-two, in which the intensity is always high, while a more recent innovation is matches between the squad’s English and foreign players. “It’s been getting feisty,” Winks says, with a smile.

Pochettino likes to get involved. “I remember he injured himself taking someone else out,” Winks says. “He went for a high ball, someone else has gone for it and he whacked his back and he’s hobbled into the physio. It was either Cam Carter-Vickers or Ben Davies. They were a bit nervous. ‘I’ve just injured the gaffer here.’ I think it might have been Cam.”

Winks is engaging company, polite and self-effacing to a fault, and he tells the story of when he was six and his mother, Anita, persuaded him to write to his hero, Steven Gerrard, at the Liverpool training ground. Unfortunately, he did not get a reply but he would see him in March 2014, when he was on the bench for Tottenham’s game at Liverpool under Tim Sherwood while he has also met him at a sponsors’ event.

“I’ve shaken his hand,” Winks says. “And he’s given me a look as if to say: ‘Keep going.’ That sort of thing.” Winks intends to do so.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Wow harry getting in all the media today,good lad!!Realy interesting article and insight into some of the training and demands of Pochettino.Easy to see why after a few months some were in the naughty chair and moved out,made all the easier by the fact the up and comers want to make it,and can do by training as hard as any big time charies who dont train as hard.I have no doubt its not just as easy as making lets say dembele or eriksen fitter,but that attitude to be more ,do more as well as being fitter than opponents.Really interesting to me how academy players feel about trying and how to breakthrough..Good stuff,I urge you to read it!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/27/harry-winks-spurs-tottenham

Harry Winks: ‘The buzz I get from playing for Tottenham … I don’t think it will ever go’
The midfielder, who joined Spurs as a five-year-old, talks about the influence of the ‘scary’ academy manager, John McDermott, and the brutal Gacon test the players do in pre-season
6861.jpg

Harry Winks struggles to find the words but the sense of what he is trying to get across is etched into his features. There is boyish wonder, excitement and pride but above all, there is happiness and it feels like the antidote to the cynicism in the modern game.

“The music that they play at White Hart Lane before you walk out is just ....” the 20-year-old Tottenham Hotspur midfielder says, before he tails off. “I absolutely love it. I think it’s from Star Wars. Me and my dad, when we used to stand in the crowd as fans – we used to get hairs sticking up on our necks listening to it. Being in the tunnel now, about to walk out to it, it’s still the same feeling. I can’t really describe it. It’s amazing. It really is.”
This is what it is like to live the dream. Winks has been at Tottenham since the age of five, which is one of the many eye-catching details to his beautifully scripted story. His father, Gary, is a Tottenham fanatic and Winks remembers going to his first game with him at White Hart Lane when he was six or seven.

“It was against Middlesbrough and I’d managed to get tickets from one of the guys who worked at the club,” Winks says. “I had the directors’ seats, the leather seats, bang on the half-way line. I remember the crowd, all those people singing and it’s just like ‘Wow.’ It has stuck with me. When I play now and I hear the crowd, it still gives me that buzz I had when I was at that age. I don’t think that will ever go, to be honest.”

Winks’s association with Tottenham had started after he attended a summer football camp as a five-year-old which was run by Ross Kemp (no, not that one). Kemp also worked for the club’s development centre in St Albans and he invited Winks to train there but it was not long before he was moved to the Tottenham academy at White Hart Lane.

“It was twice a week at the academy, just for an hour or so, in a ball court above White Hart Lane,” Winks says.”I remember getting the Kappa bag with all the gear inside when I was six. I progressed from there.”

The boy from Hemel has been the discovery of Tottenham’s season, exceeding even his own expectations. “I wanted to hit 20 games – not starts, just games, whether it was for five minutes or however long,” Winks says. On Saturday, in the FA Cup tie against Wycombe Wanderers, he will hit 23, most likely in the starting XI.

Winks has impressed with the range and efficiency of his passing and, in particular, his composure in pressure situations. He has demonstrated an ability to get his team off the hook or moving with a smart touch or pass and there have been several occasions when the manager, Mauricio Pochettino, has brought him on as a substitute to try to preserve a lead or dig out a foothold.
Winks’s breakthrough came in the Premier League fixture against West Ham United on 19 November. Thrust into the starting line-up, he scored the equaliser for 1-1 and more than justified Pochettino’s faith in him as Tottenham won 3-2. He ran over to celebrate with the manager following his goal, which illustrated the bond between the two and Pochettino would reveal that Winks said thank-you to him in his office after the game.
“The manager called me in,” Winks says.”I was just about to get into the shower and I had my towel on. He was there with all the coaches and they were having a glass of wine. He said: ‘Well done,’ and he gave me a cuddle. He understood how difficult the season before had been for me, travelling and not playing, and he said that. I just said: ‘Thank you very much for the opportunity, for progressing me to the first-team.’ That goal was like a thank-you. It’s why I ran to him after it.”

For Winks, it was a time to take stock of his journey through the club’s youth teams and, also, the “all or nothing” point, as he calls it, of last summer. The 2015-16 season had been tough for him, even if it had started well with an invitation to travel with the first-team to the pre-season Audi Cup in Munich.

Pochettino took only him and Josh Onomah from the outfield ranks of the academy and he would tell the other hopefuls that they could go on loan. The Argentinian prefers to keep his most talented young players with him, in order to drum his methods into them and it is not always a positive sign when they are loaned. Pochettino always refused to let Winks out.
Winks spent the season around the first-team squad but the cycle, in his words, of “travelling, being left out; travelling, being left out” was frustrating. He made only two Europa League substitute appearances, totalling 17 minutes. In 2014-15 – Pochettino’s first season at the club – Winks had made his debut as an 87th minute substitute in the Europa League but nothing more.

“I’ll be honest, last summer was very stressful,” Winks says. “Because you’re 20 years old and you’ve only played three times and never started, and you can see other boys who are playing regularly in the Premier League or the Championship. I got told I wasn’t allowed to go on loan, which was a good thing but, at the same time, I just wanted to play matches. So do I annoy the manager and try to push for a loan or was I just to keep working hard and trust him?”

Winks did the latter although, in truth, there was no decision to make. Pochettino has long had a plan for him and all Winks has ever wanted to do is play for Tottenham. He reported for pre-season training in top condition and he made it his mission to leave nothing on the training pitch.

Pochettino’s pre-season regime is unforgiving and Winks sheds light on something called the Gacon test, which is named after Professor Georges Gacon, who was, among other things, the fitness coach at Paris St-Germain, for whom Pochettino once played. It is an intermittent beep-style test, with a period of running followed by a rest and the running distance increasing incrementally.

“It’s an absolute killer,” Winks says. Yet he was one of the last men standing. “I really pushed myself to the limit,” he continues. “And the one thing the manager loves is fitness and that mental side.”
Pochettino took Winks on the club’s tour to Australia, where he excelled in the friendlies against Juventus and Atletico Madrid and, when he named him on the bench at Everton on the opening weekend of the season, Winks saw the “first signal” that he would be a part of his plans.

Advertisement
Winks talks of John McDermott, the club’s academy manager, as being “one of the most key parts of me being where I am today,” while he worked productively under the coach, Chris Ramsey, from the age of 12.

“I remember I used to be really, really scared of John when I was 12, 13,” Winks says.” He’s strict, he’s old-school and he toughens you up. He likes a tackle, he likes you to be tough but he also likes the technical side. He’s very similar to the manager.”

It is Pochettino that has taken Winks to the next level, having made an impression on him from their first meeting. “I signed my first professional contract in the summer of 2014, which was when the manager came to the club,” Winks says. “As I was signing, just next to his office, he walked in, shook my hand and said – I don’t know if he was being truthful or not – ‘I’ve seen your videos and I told John McDermott to sign you up straight away.’ I was gobsmacked.”

Winks offers insight into Pochettino’s training sessions, which begin each morning with possession drills known as “boxes”. Eight players work on the sides of a small square, trying to keep the ball from two more in the middle. It is like a rondo. Whenever one of those in the centre gets a touch, they swap places with the player that has given the errant pass.
“We’ve got this new rule – if you get nutmegged three times, you have to sing on an away trip,” Winks says. “It’s happened to Eric Dier and Josh Onomah but they’re fighting their corner and refusing to sing. There is a bit of a debate over whether their leg was up or was it down for a proper nutmeg?”

Winks says that Pochettino oversees a lot of small-sided games, sometimes as tight as two-versus-two, in which the intensity is always high, while a more recent innovation is matches between the squad’s English and foreign players. “It’s been getting feisty,” Winks says, with a smile.

Pochettino likes to get involved. “I remember he injured himself taking someone else out,” Winks says. “He went for a high ball, someone else has gone for it and he whacked his back and he’s hobbled into the physio. It was either Cam Carter-Vickers or Ben Davies. They were a bit nervous. ‘I’ve just injured the gaffer here.’ I think it might have been Cam.”

Winks is engaging company, polite and self-effacing to a fault, and he tells the story of when he was six and his mother, Anita, persuaded him to write to his hero, Steven Gerrard, at the Liverpool training ground. Unfortunately, he did not get a reply but he would see him in March 2014, when he was on the bench for Tottenham’s game at Liverpool under Tim Sherwood while he has also met him at a sponsors’ event.

“I’ve shaken his hand,” Winks says. “And he’s given me a look as if to say: ‘Keep going.’ That sort of thing.” Winks intends to do so.
Excellent article and very enjoyable insight. I like all that stuff much more than the bland stuff they trot out on TV interviews.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Excellent article and very enjoyable insight. I like all that stuff much more than the bland stuff they trot out on TV interviews.
The training stuff is very insightful and this is going to take this thread off on a tangent for a bit,but Poch is obviously set in his ways about the standard and effort of training players have to put.This obviously gives younger players an advantage,not beacuse of age but mindset.Must have been a helluva a shock to some when Poch rolled in,big names,been around the block and a youngish manager comes in and demands this stuff.Easy with this knowledge now to see why amongst the first players culled by Poch were adebayor,kaboul,lennon.I can just see them and this gacon test,"fuck this,i know my stuff I dont need to do this to be good",and why it took time for Poch to improve dembele before including him fully.And thrice again why hungry young mason,rose,kane shot into the team when others were moaning about their quality,they obviously put the hard yards in and the example was set,work hardest and play the most.Thats probably an over simplification but I guess the principle is there.I met Kane and most of the team 4 years ago before the NLD,I have photos on my phone,kane was a lanky (I want to say feeble) under muscled kid,he looked like a kid.Ok with age maybe it would too?but he has bulked up and just from appearance you can see how much stronger he is 3 years down the line.With all respect to the miles harry has run and tons he has bench pressed,Poch has done that to him,by asking it of him.Kane,rose,walker,dembele,eriksen,lamela especially have all benefitted from being fitter stronger and I reckon because Poch has improved them and they know it they love him even more.Thats something I got from Chivers and perryman when they have spoken about Bill Nic,they didnt have to like him,they feared respected and ultimatly after all the pain he put them through loved him.Because he made them better.

Its tough timing for Winks in comparison,if he was 2 or 3 years older,he would have broken through in that initial era no doubt.It will be hard for him to dislodge eriksen,dembele,wanyama who`s role he is mostly likely after?but keep his head straight for two years if he is good enough he will make it as a star for us,which in comparison probably tells us why bentaleb was shifted out,thought he was there,didnt need to keep improving,he had earnt his place,was owed it Boom gone.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Says it all.
That's the mindset required and the goal for most....hence the re-signing of all the contracts. They are actually signing up to train hard. The opposite of the Adebayor type old professional.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
winks_contract_feb_730.jpg

We are delighted to announce that Harry Winks has signed a new contract with the Club until 2022

The midfielder, 21, has continued his progress this season, including marking his first Premier League start with his first goal in the 3-2 win against West Ham in November.

He has made 25 appearances in all competitions this term, including two starts in the Champions League.

A product of our Academy, Harry played for our junior teams before joining us full-time in July, 2012. He made his senior debut in the Europa League against FK Partizan in November, 2014.

Harry's performances earned a first England Under-21 cap against France in November, having previously won caps at Under-17, Under-18, Under-19 and Under-20 levels.

http://m.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/new-deal-for-harry-winks-140217/

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
There seems to be a ranking system going on. Next year I fully expect Harry W to push on and earn another contract with the honour of signing next to Poch wearing his suit.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
There seems to be a ranking system going on. Next year I fully expect Harry W to push on and earn another contract with the honour of signing next to Poch wearing his suit.

When he does where his suit jacket its tracksuit bottoms still

I rate winks so highly, there was all the talk of bentaleb but winks is better!

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
When he does where his suit jacket its tracksuit bottoms still

I rate winks so highly, there was all the talk of bentaleb but winks is better!

I'm very sold on Winks, has such composure and see's what's going on around him. He'll get England caps by the end of next season.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Harry in the england U21 squad for the two upcoming games with ze germans and denmark.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Winks has got to be one of our best substitutes these days. He's not only solid defensively, he can spray a pass, and quite happily Dembele-lite his way past on a run. That, and he seems to have a decent footy brain on him as well. He gives us something different to Dembele.

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
A brilliant talent and footie brain and I just love it when he comes on as you know he is going to be heading in the direction of the opposition goal. He seems content to be used as an impact player, coming on in the second half. I've said it before, Harry has a awesome future at WHL for years to come. Can see him getting more starts next season and it's great to see that DL doesn't have to spend money on the HW position in midfield.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
A brilliant talent and footie brain and I just love it when he comes on as you know he is going to be heading in the direction of the opposition goal. He seems content to be used as an impact player, coming on in the second half. I've said it before, Harry has a awesome future at WHL for years to come. Can see him getting more starts next season and it's great to see that DL doesn't have to spend money on the HW position in midfield.

I like how we have an able backup for Wanyama in Dier, if we drop back to a 4-2-3-1 or similar... can even potentially play Davies in a back three like he does for Wales. It's to be seen if Winks and Dier work as a midfield combo, but I think it has potential! But it's exciting to think we might not need to recruit in midfield for years to come with any luck!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Harry Winks will undergo a scan on Monday after injuring his ankle in Tottenham's 2-0 victory over Burnley.

Spurs closed the gap to Premier League-leaders Chelsea to seven points as goals from Eric Dier and Heung-min Son sealed a 2-0 win.

But the victory at Turf Moor was soured by injuries to Victor Wanyama and Winks, with the latter stretchered from the field and taken to hospital.

Standard Sport understands Winks returned to London with the rest of the Tottenham team on Saturday evening after leaving hospital, and will be assessed on Monday.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Slowly becoming one of my favourites....

Proper lad and has minerals, ethics and very good ability...

I was shitting it when we let a very talented Tom Carol leave as I didn't know a great deal about Winks then... Poch knows a thing or two about this footy lark as I barely remember the lad as Winks has been an upgrade in every way.

Gutted for his injury but hopefully he'll come back stronger next year with a wiser head and turn into that Modric'esq little player I can see peeping through.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Guillem Balague on Harry Winks
If this is a question of preference rather than likelihood then I would like to see a player like Harry Winks at Spurs in La Liga, where he would be challenged in different ways.

He has the makings of a top midfielder. I know he will play a lot at Spurs and won't go, but I would love to see him at Barcelona or Real Madrid, even though he will be a key feature at Spurs for years to come.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Fucking hell that's a bit of a blind swipe...

I tend to agree though that his technical ability would be very well suited to the amount if time on the ball you get out there...

Saying that if he can do it here and make it work in a super fast league like the Prem... he will be an even bigger asset.

Top player in the making.