By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

I hate Clattenberg (and other refs)

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I really, really, really hate that cheating/incompetent fuckwit Clattenberg. I don't get why he is so highly rated as a ref. Yesterday he gave Arsehole Wenger a present of a point buy ignoring two blatant penalties, possibly three, one was debatable, two were not Allowing Cockaleg to stay on the pitch and not give him a second yellow was unbelievable . Cunt.

He is my most hated referee - apart from Foy of course but he is no longer ruining premier League football. This cunt gets paid an absolute fortune and my mum would make better decisions than him. There are many possible reasons for this cultishness:

• He is incompetent
  • He is visually impaired and can't see what happens 3m in front of his face
  • He is a coward and scared of having a row with Wenger and other grumpy managers
  • He is a crook
Whichever one (or more) of these apply he is a cunt and gets right on my tits.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Soz mate you simply cannot have this one.....!!!

I will 100% fight any man's corner when his name rhymes with Battenberg so well.

He is the name rhyming equivalent of a fcukin unicorn mate...!!!

Yes he may well not be a great referee (he is particularly bad, but they all do a thankless difficult job) but you will struggle to find anyone else with any type of public profile that has a rhyming name anywhere near that good.

I don't wanna fall out about this mate but I will not back down.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Soz mate you simply cannot have this one.....!!!

I will 100% fight any man's corner when his name rhymes with Battenberg so well.

He is the name rhyming equivalent of a fcukin unicorn mate...!!!

Yes he may well not be a great referee (he is particularly bad, but they all do a thankless difficult job) but you will struggle to find anyone else with any type of public profile that has a rhyming name anywhere near that good.

I don't wanna fall out about this mate but I will not back down.
I will NEVER back down mate. Clattenberg is a cunt end of. See, now I have said 'end of' that means I am right. If we are one point short of the scum at the end of the season then folks will be saying that I was right and this cunt has cost us big time. NO referee with eyesight better than mine could have possibly missed Cockaleg's 2nd and 3rd fouls for an early bath and a blind bloke's guide dog would have barked at him for the 2nd nailed on, definite, absolute penalty yesterday. Yes they all make mistakes but when they are standing 3m away watching the assault take place and they take no action that ain't a mistake. End Of, now I have said it again so I am even more right.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Clattenburg's early career featured the goal that never was at Old Trafford, when Mendes shot was 4' over the line.......equally he gave us the handball away at Man city last season and officiated in the same fixture at home, which we won 4-1. He also kept all our players on the pitch at Chelsea. There is good and bad in all referees....he is one of the better ones, Foy was the worst I can remember.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
I think there HAS to be a major overhaul to how our game is officiated. It is more or less the same as it was over 50 years ago, but the game itself has moved on hugely.

The game is faster than ever now, and teams are allowed 3 outfield subs each which allows them to keep the tempo high pretty much to the final whistle, yet we still only have 1 referee on the pitch trying to keep up for 90min+ as we did back in the 50s when there were no subs. And the pressure involved now has been ratcheted up 1000 fold. Not only is the game far quicker, but 1 poor decision can cost a club millions of pounds now.That's too much for 1 guy to deal with imo.

Also, with 1 referee they are answerable to nobody. That's great when they get most things correct and there aren't 100 cameras everywhere picking everything up in super HD slow-mo, but when they're getting so much wrong and everyone else gets to see their mistakes instantly, they need to have someone else keeping them in check.

You're never going to have a perfect, foolproof system which works every time all the time, but particularly since the start of last season and already this season, the standard of refereeing has plummeted. It's not just the amount of decisions which are wrong, it's the level of those wrong decisions. Many are truly mind-blowing, with the ref seemingly looking right at it.

Something MUST be done. The common argument is that extra referees and video would just confuse things and slow the game down. Sorry, that's just rubbish. How can anyone know that without trying? And surely, SURELY it can't be worse than 1 referee only getting about 60% of his decisions correct. Too many games are decided by poor decisions these days for us not to even try.

And did anyone watch the Hockey in the Olympics? I can't remember a single bad decision, and their game looked about as fast as a game can possibly be. Their referral systems, extra referees and video did not slow things down 1 bit, but it did mean they got the calls correct, there were no real arguments and games were fair, with results based purely on the quality of play.

Referees want respect in football. They won't get it unless things change. The reason people respect referees in other sports is because they work as a team to get the decisions correct. Football seems to have a dictator on the pitch who struggles to keep up with play, bottles the tight calls and often gets the easy decisions wrong. How can you respect that? Especially with so much on the line and passions riding so high.

Football has more money than any other sport, yet it's officials are still living in the dark ages.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I think they should start in all youth levels with the same principles as in rugby. They have referee respect right.

Has it in Iver 3 years for all leagues and levels.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Clattenburg's early career featured the goal that never was at Old Trafford, when Mendes shot was 4' over the line.......equally he gave us the handball away at Man city last season and officiated in the same fixture at home, which we won 4-1. He also kept all our players on the pitch at Chelsea. There is good and bad in all referees....he is one of the better ones, Foy was the worst I can remember.
Yep, Foy was the absolute worst. I will NEVER forget that game against Stoke.

I don't understand why so many folks are against some type of video support for the officials. Surely the refs would feel safer knowing that a looney with a farming implement is not going to drive up from the country and insert it into them, the wrong way round, without lube if they make a cock-up. Referees in Rugby and Cricket don't mind if they are over-ruled when they named a mistake and it must take a lot of pressure off them knowing that they don't have to be super-human. As @Basskadet said the Hockey in the Olympics was not ruined by appeals and multiple refs, neither was the Tae Kwondo or any other of the sports that allowed appeals.

I have always supported an appeal system, like in Cricket, where the captain only has 2 or 3 appeals per match, a wrong'un loses one appeal and a good'un gets the decision.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Yep, Foy was the absolute worst. I will NEVER forget that game against Stoke.

I don't understand why so many folks are against some type of video support for the officials. Surely the refs would feel safer knowing that a looney with a farming implement is not going to drive up from the country and insert it into them, the wrong way round, without lube if they make a cock-up. Referees in Rugby and Cricket don't mind if they are over-ruled when they named a mistake and it must take a lot of pressure off them knowing that they don't have to be super-human. As @Basskadet said the Hockey in the Olympics was not ruined by appeals and multiple refs, neither was the Tae Kwondo or any other of the sports that allowed appeals.

I have always supported an appeal system, like in Cricket, where the captain only has 2 or 3 appeals per match, a wrong'un loses one appeal and a good'un gets the decision.
It's not a very original line....but the technology is there (video) so use it...it's to everyone's benefit.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Yesterday's result was probably no affected by the very poor refereeing, I think we were lucky to get a point, but luck is a big part of footy eh? Some days we are unlucky and get feck all from a game where we are battering the doodahs out of our opponents and other days we get a point from a game where we could have easily got bugger all. Marley yesterday was a cunt, I think everyone agrees, but his decisions probably would not have made a difference, the penalty he award them was an understandable decision, I have read some doughnuts saying it was an accident so no penalty, that is silly, yes it was an accident but that does not mean a penalty can not be given. It was probably a fraction outside the box, but Vertonghen got away with a blatant bit of wrestling earlier so we can't whinge about it. We probably should have had a penally as well, debatable, but yesterday it would have been sent into orbit. Mane should absolutely have been sent off, maybe that would have made a difference - who knows?

Not game changing, but still very bad, something needs to be done.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
Yesterday's result was probably no affected by the very poor refereeing, I think we were lucky to get a point, but luck is a big part of footy eh? Some days we are unlucky and get feck all from a game where we are battering the doodahs out of our opponents and other days we get a point from a game where we could have easily got bugger all. Marley yesterday was a cunt, I think everyone agrees, but his decisions probably would not have made a difference, the penalty he award them was an understandable decision, I have read some doughnuts saying it was an accident so no penalty, that is silly, yes it was an accident but that does not mean a penalty can not be given. It was probably a fraction outside the box, but Vertonghen got away with a blatant bit of wrestling earlier so we can't whinge about it. We probably should have had a penally as well, debatable, but yesterday it would have been sent into orbit. Mane should absolutely have been sent off, maybe that would have made a difference - who knows?

And whilst we can bemoan some dodgy reffing, nobody has mentioned some incredible linework which kept us in the game. How he saw Lallana was a literal half-foot offside is beyond me!

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'm gonna be honest. I have done it..... it's hard as fuck. You give all you can to try and keep the game enjoyable and be as honest and as un-judgemental as you can.

Bias if it exists is simply wrong. Making a decision to even up a poor one again is simply wrong.

Every cunt hates you..... how in fcuks name can you win?

I don't like the idea of cameras..... for anythng. I know in this multi million quid game decisions can be the diference between a lot of money but somtimes it goes in your favour. I'm still of the opinion that it does even it's self out over time.

My main objection is that it stops being a game of the people and leans towards an elitist centered sport when the have and have nots pay diferent games. I don't like that.

I wanna play the smell game with my kids down the reck that they play in the FA cup final....until goal line tech I basically did. That's sad imo and removes it from me and the rest of the normal blokes.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

One of the analysts was saying Vert's wrestling move was not a penalty because it happened right before the ball was put in play. If he'd carried on mugging the guy with the ball in the air we'd have been fucked. Matip's clutch and grab on Janssen would have been a foul elsewhere on the pitch, but we all know how that works.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
@Yid I fully understand your opinion, but I do see it a little differently.

I totally get the idea that the game we play in the park with the kids should be the same as that which is played at Wembley by pros, but the fact is that it just isn't, camera tech or not.

Firstly, the cameras are already there at the highest level, we're just choosing not to use them which is bonkers.

Secondly though, and more relevant to your point, is that the pressures and speed of the game at the top level is MASSIVELY different to that played at grass roots level. Whilst the argument that the game should remain equal from the lowest level to the highest is a romantic one, I actually think that by NOT bringing some sort of review system or camera tech at the top level not only means that the game is already not the same as it is at grass roots, but the longer we hold off, the greater that inequality between top and bottom becomes.

Why? Well, because the game is slower, with less pressure, money and players prepared to do anything to win, referees at the grass roots level are far more capable of officiating a game correctly. You still may refute many of their decisions, but without cameras in the park we can only assume they were the correct decisions and, at that level, they ought to be the correct decisions. At the highest level of the game though it has become virtually impossible for 1 man to officiate a game for 90mins without making a mistake for the same reasons (speed, pressure, money, etc) and, because the cameras are already in place at the top level, we all see the error within seconds which makes it very hard to accept and, to be honest, why should we accept it?

Personally I believe that the rules of a game are required so that 2 opponents are able to compete on a level playing field in order to produce a victor. At grass roots level that happens, but at the highest level it does not and, whats more, we can all plainly see that it does not.

Only in football can you reach the highest level of the sport to find that the competition in less fair than when you used to play in the park!

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
So then, video tech was trialled in the France v Italy game last night and seems to have proved its worth already, with the referee notably admitting afterwards that the technology even spared France an early red card. He also said said that the players "were calmer and more accepting of decisions".

It was an experiment, and it never involved stopping the game to review video at any point, just an extra referee sat in the stands had access to video replays which he used to advise the on-field referee in real-time.

Referee applauds first use of video technology in France v Italy experiment

I am not a fan of Infantino, but the article includes a great quote which neatly outlines 1 of the points I was trying to make in the post above this:

"We can no longer allow that the whole world can see an incident whilst the only person who cannot see it, because he is not allowed to, is the referee"

Last edited:
J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I guess I'm OK with technology that doesn't interrupt the flow of the game. Video replays are used in virtually every sport over here, with the effect being that they're almost unwatchable. Even trivial decisions involving possession, early in games are reviewed ad nauseum in basketball now. God forbid that happens with football, and I fear it will. I didn't see the France-Italy game, if it went was smoothly as you say Bass, that's good to hear. But I don't think I'd like anything more than the system they used there.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I guess I'm OK with technology that doesn't interrupt the flow of the game. Video replays are used in virtually every sport over here, with the effect being that they're almost unwatchable. Even trivial decisions involving possession, early in games are reviewed ad nauseum in basketball now. God forbid that happens with football, and I fear it will. I didn't see the France-Italy game, if it went was smoothly as you say Bass, that's good to hear. But I don't think I'd like anything more than the system they used there.
It would need to be managed, but I don't see why it would be a major problem. Some refs in rugby overuse the TV official and ask for a decision on every try, most of them don't. For some reason rugby refs seem more knowledgeable about the game and have better eyesight than the premiership refs. At the very least I would like to see a post match tribunal sitting and reviewing every game, cheaters would be punished even if the match ref had seen the crime - what sort of system is that? I know some folks think the Pope is infallible but a fucking football ref? Nah I'm not having that! If nasty buggers like Costa knew they would be nicked every Monday morning and the ban would double every time diving, elbowing, shirt pulling and all the either girly nastiness would soon be gone from our game.

The is too much preciousness in football, that bollox where the ref sent off the wrong bloke, yes it was funny because it was the scum, but ffs, a system where decisions can not be overturned if they are wrong is fucked up. A three appeals system I don't think would ruin the game, some goals would be disallowed even after the almighty ref had given them, penalties would need to be appealed before they where taken (or not awarded),maybe they captains would have wait for a break in play before they appealed?

Consistency is also needed. Clattenberg does not enforce the new 'wrestling directives' unless he feels like it, I think he is a celebrity ref and as I originally said I don't rate him at all. ALL the rules must be enforced ALL the time. The FA say they can't mike up the res like in Rugby because of the foul language, OK FA, that is against your rules so enforce them! The say they are going to stop the wrestling matches in the box and only one ref that I have noticed has done this. They say that when the refs are mobbed cards will be shown, nope, hasn't happened. Farking pussies is what they are.

Football used to be pretty much self-policing. No manager in the olden days would have tolerated players disrespecting their club, Wilshere would not have been allowed to play for any top club with his criminal record, other players would have dealt with bullies like Costa and Adam, diving and pretending to be injured would be laughed at and again, retribution would be dealt out by the 'strong' players like Dave Mackay. Football these days is all about money and winning at any cost so unless the FA actually do something to stop all the bollox, the danger is not that video will spoil our game, oh no peeps, the danger is that football will become like wrestling - a choreographed entertainment for retards.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Here we go again. The bastard scum gifted 2 points by an incompetent ref, again, and Cuntenberg again being a cunt, I'm not overly angry about Cuntenberg's crap decisions because out of United and City I give no fucks who wins but Madley's fuck ups really, really annoyed me and could have end of season implications that will force me to do the bad things.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Video ref used for the first time... sends a player off
Posted at 15:26
Ajax's Dutch Cup 5-0 victory over Willem II saw the first player sent off by a video referee.

Official Danny Makkelie took charge of Wednesday's game with Pol van Boekel assisting from a van outside.

With Ajax 2-0 up, Willem's Anouar Kali was shown a yellow card by Makkelie for a challenge on Lasse Schone.

However, upon watching the incident back, Van Boekel indicated Kali should be shown a red.

The referee corrected his initial decision and Ajax made the man advantage count, going on to add a further three goals.