By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Jan Vertonghen

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Multiple reports from the Euro's Belgian training camp are saying that Jan has suffered a bad ankle injury, maybe ligaments and may be ruled out for 4 months until November. This may of course be an exaggeration but doesn't sound like good news at present.

We do of course have Kevin Wimmer, who did an excellent job last time something similar occurred....

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
I'm not that upset if I'm honest

T

Thfcshady27

Player in Training.
Founding Member
Tbh I thought winner should have kept his place last season anyway....if u perform then u deserve ur chance. Great to have 3 top class cb's tho.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Its jan`s lack of mental strength or his standing out as not one of the spurs family that concerns me.I cant see him doing spurs stuff after his career or even like soldado having that affection for us after he leaves.Or maybe he ´s just a miserable cunt and I am reading too much into it?
Good player but I am just not sure if his heart is in it for us long haul.Maybe reports about this viking blood eagle ragnar bitchesson will be more than press bollox if jan is indeed crocked??
We could do a fantastic "yid" to that icelandic thunderclap so yeah sign him up just for the song!!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Its jan`s lack of mental strength or his standing out as not one of the spurs family that concerns me.I cant see him doing spurs stuff after his career or even like soldado having that affection for us after he leaves.Or maybe he ´s just a miserable cunt and I am reading too much into it?
Good player but I am just not sure if his heart is in it for us long haul.Maybe reports about this viking blood eagle ragnar bitchesson will be more than press bollox if jan is indeed crocked??
We could do a fantastic "yid" to that icelandic thunderclap so yeah sign him up just for the song!!!
You might be right, since that is how he comes across on TV and media, especially in that AVB/Sherwood season, but apparently I've read other comments that he is well liked in the dressing room and very skilful. Not sure why based on age and experience he's never been considered for captaincy though? Wimmer seems definitely one of the lads.

Apparently his injury is only 6-8 weeks which is good news.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
You might be right, since that is how he comes across on TV and media, especially in that AVB/Sherwood season, but apparently I've read other comments that he is well liked in the dressing room and very skilful. Not sure why based on age and experience he's never been considered for captaincy though? Wimmer seems definitely one of the lads.

Apparently his injury is only 6-8 weeks which is good news.
I met all the players pre NLD the sherwood match,and all the players did their bit of time with the fans outside the entrance bar paulinio and Jan who tried their best to slip by and not give a shite.Was just something in it about not caring enough from the body langauage i saw,but that was a tough season end with the turmoil so its a harsh observance.Maybe he is just quiet and doesnt smile enough?something just makes me question him,and i cant really say 100% what it is.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Only time iv seen him look like he is having fun is when he scored and did the super Jan shirt rip....

Other than that a bit of a miserable cnut.

Great player no doubt, but Wimmer was brilliant when he deputised for him and probably should have kept his place based on his performances.

Not that worried tbh, in safe hands with Toby and Kev.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Aye 8 weeks I heard. Not disastrous tho, thought Wimmer was excellent when he stepped in and unlucky to loose out when Vertonghen came back.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Aye 8 weeks I heard. Not disastrous tho, thought Wimmer was excellent when he stepped in and unlucky to loose out when Vertonghen came back.
I agree mate, it is a strange feeling having these great defensive options, it doesn't feel like my Spurs! Wimmer, Davies, Trippier and Dier in an emergency. Harry Kane of course is always ready to stand in for Hugo as well, Triffic!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
There's pictures of Jan, Mousa and Erik Lamela on hols together aboard a speedboat. Seems like the team spirit is strong.....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
London Evening Standard write Tottenham Hotspur are close to agreeing a new contract with Jan Vertonghen.
CsGic3PWcAEQEaU.jpg

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Getting Eriksen, Walker, Lamela, and Vertonghen to sign improved contracts so early in the season is a great way to go about our business!!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Super Jan the next to sign in the next week!!
You heard it here first,(unless you look on twitter or read the papers!).

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Thought he was excellent tonight, maybe MOTM. He's been quietly very good for us all season really.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Jan Vertonghen has reportedly agreed a new contract with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Daily Mirror is reporting that the Belgian defender is set to sign an extension on the current deal that has him tied to Spurs until the summer of 2018.

Vertonghen is currently on £60,000 per week at White Hart Lane and although he will be given a pay rise, he will not reach the £100,000-a-week figure that fails to fit into chairman Daniel Levy's plans.

The 29-year-old joined Spurs from Ajax in 2012 and has since appeared 177 times for the North London club.

birdonaball

birdonaball

Player in Training.
Good to hear that Super Jan is staying with us.

He's been steadily getting better all season and personally think he takes quite an unnecessary hammering from our fans on other forums. I think he's been a very bright shining light for us at the back since last season and with Toby hopefully back I expect that partnership to go back to being all kinds of awesome again.

Just don't injure your center back buddy again.....just don't :oops:

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Player of the season so far! Brilliant that he has signed a new contract

birdonaball

birdonaball

Player in Training.
My heart sank for him yesterday. Horrible seeing him in so much pain. Got everything crossed that it won't be as bad as it looked :(

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...r-jan-vertonghen-could-10-weeks-ankle-injury/
Tottenham Hotspur fear ‘devastated’ Jan Vertonghen could be out for as long as 10 weeks with the ankle injury he suffered against West Bromwich Albion.

Vertonghen is expected to miss at least six weeks, but scans showed the injury is somewhere between grade two and three which means medics believe he may not play again until towards the end of March.

The news is a significant blow to title-chasing Spurs, although manager Mauricio Pochettino had already braced himself for the worst after watching Vertonghen leave the field in tears last Saturday.

Sources close to the player say 29-year-old Vertonghen is ‘devastated’ by the injury and the timing of his absence while he and Tottenham have been playing some of their best football.

Vertonghen will miss Saturday’s trip to Manchester City and the vital clash with Liverpool in February as Pochettino’s men try to close the gap on Premier League leaders Chelsea.
Pochettino must now decide whether or not to stick with the back three that has worked so well in recent weeks and bring in Ben Davies or Kevin Wimmer to deputise for Vertonghen or switch back to a four with Eric Dier partnering Toby Alderweireld in the centre of defence.

Tottenham’s title hopes have survived injuries to several key players, including Harry Kane, Alderweireld and Erik Lamela, and Pochettino has no plans to enter the January transfer market to cover Vertonghen’s absence.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Just a general question, because the last time I looked at a pair of football boots was about 40 years ago...they were black in those days, nice and thick to protect your meta tarsals, and were made by good decent companies that paid their taxes, like Gola.

Anyway...have these new 'blades' rather than 'studs' got anything to do with this type of injury? Harry got his foot caught in the turf earlier in the year and Jan's foot looked to do something similar as the boot didn't move sideways, as it might have done with a circular stud? anyone got any insight or relevant info?

If Big Kev performs as well as he did last year we'll be fine, if he doesn't in a back 3 (it was a back 4 last time) then we have Ben Davies. If the both fuck up well its Cameron Carter Vickers time.....if he's pants, well Jan will be back fit by then any way.

It's a big shame but we've had key injuries before this season and come through them well.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial 4m4 minutes ago

Mauricio: "@JanVertonghen is ok, he's very positive. We're pushing him a lot. We expect six weeks, less than at first."
"We don't want to set the time limit. When your mind is positive it's easier to recover."
"It looked really bad but this week when we assessed him the scans showed its not how we thought at the beginning,We’re pushing him a lot. He’s spending the same time as us, 12 hrs, at the training ground. Its a little bit boring to see him":D

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Very good news. Maybe the time off will benefit him at the end of the season. Over the course of the entire season he's been our most consistent performer, but personally I rate Wimmer and obviously Ben can do a job in the back three as well. The injury looked a painful one--I had a similar one multiple times as a player, and roll my ankle over nearly every time I get out of bed now. As the announcers were saying, at least some of his reaction probably had to do with missing out in a team that's doing so well (and is by all accounts very tight-knit).

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Just a general question, because the last time I looked at a pair of football boots was about 40 years ago...they were black in those days, nice and thick to protect your meta tarsals, and were made by good decent companies that paid their taxes, like Gola.
One of my proudest moments as a father was a couple of weeks ago when my eight year old son asked for new boots--didn't care about brand, just wanted solid black.