By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Kyle Walker-Peters

boo

boo

Founding Member
DHHf5JuXYAAyeWQ.jpg

Spurs have given 19-year-old right-back Kyle Walker-Peters, who is yet to feature for the first team, a new deal until 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Whats that thing in the background that says 'signing or ground staff boy' ?

boo

boo

Founding Member
it looks like a quote mate

sign.jpg

"A good signing or a ground staff boy.."

maybe?

boo

boo

Founding Member
no wait...

Screenshot_2.png

"..... a big signing or a ground staff boy.."

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Thanks - it's got to be a phrase....something like 'All together/One hotspur whether a big signing or a ground staff boy....'

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Bill Nicholson quotes -

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

boo

boo

Founding Member
It's just shy of the 'he's' in the sign though eh?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
It's just shy of the 'he's' in the sign though eh?
It's been para-phrased, I've never noticed it in the other signing pictures.....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Thanks - it's got to be a phrase....something like 'All together/One hotspur whether a big signing or a ground staff boy....'
shame on you lol
you got there in the end though ;)
upload_2017-2-15_15-4-39.jpeg

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Excellent to see him continue on from the World Cup where he played really well on the left.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Very assured debut, I can see the comparisons to Danny Rose in his style of football.

Whilst I'm not sure exactly about him being the man of the match, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt especially considering that was a debut... but should probably face the facts that Eriksen was probably the real man of the match.

Still a promising debut, not going to get over excited... remember it was a ten man Newcastle

I expect seeing KWP, and KT doing so well in their performances and training the -Peters Kyle Walker probably was a bit worried about game time this year.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Very assured debut, I can see the comparisons to Danny Rose in his style of football.

Whilst I'm not sure exactly about him being the man of the match, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt especially considering that was a debut... but should probably face the facts that Eriksen was probably the real man of the match.

Still a promising debut, not going to get over excited... remember it was a ten man Newcastle

I expect seeing KWP, and KT doing so well in their performances and training the -Peters Kyle Walker probably was a bit worried about game time this year.
'face the facts'? Nah mate, ain't no facts to face, the MOTM award has to be a matter of opinion and the correct opinion is that KWP won it. Of course you are entitled to an opinion, even if it is totally wrong.

I think the fact that it was a debut should be taken into account. He looked like he had been playing top level Premiership football for years and gave me a nice warm feeling that we have a back up for the very excellent Kieran Trippier, a good alternative for all the cup runs we are going to have and don't need that other bloke whop was so miserable and unhappy earning only a few quid a week with us.

Remember that is was a ten man Newcastle? WTF? Dangerous as fuck mate! How many times have we been unable to knock over 10 men? It is not uncommon for 10 men to fight harder, like a herd of enraged wasps, and 'only' Newcastle have beaten us more times than we have beaten them in the Premiership, they even got the double over us in their last season in the Premiership - when they were total shite and got relegated!

I am definitely going to get over excited!

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Oh Dorset, you're normally so level headed ;p

Sure, ten men Newcastle have gotten us before, and sure we've been burned, but I felt Eriksen really pulled the strings in that game. KWP, don't get me wrong did look like a player who had been playing in the Premier League for years, and I do agree that's a bloody good thing. I just don't think it's necessarily the best gauge of his ability right now!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Oh Dorset, you're normally so level headed ;p

Sure, ten men Newcastle have gotten us before, and sure we've been burned, but I felt Eriksen really pulled the strings in that game. KWP, don't get me wrong did look like a player who had been playing in the Premier League for years, and I do agree that's a bloody good thing. I just don't think it's necessarily the best gauge of his ability right now!
Oi fuck off - level headed? Nah, not having that! I am NOT level headed, and I will duke it out with anyone who suggests I am - unless of course they are younger than me, fitter than me or not a 6 year old girl, otherwise - lets get ready to rumble!

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Oi fuck off - level headed? Nah, not having that! I am NOT level headed, and I will duke it out with anyone who suggests I am - unless of course they are younger than me, fitter than me or not a 6 year old girl, otherwise - lets get ready to rumble!

Hahah you're a spirit level, chap. :D

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ettino-spurs-debut-newcastle?CMP=share_btn_tw
In January 2016 Kyle Walker-Peters had a decision to make. Tottenham had agreed that he could join up with Roda JC, a lower mid-table side in the Dutch top flight, on their mid-season training camp in Portugal. Both parties would spend the week looking at one another with the idea of coming to a loan arrangement and, all being well, it would bring a first taste of competitive senior football to a player still three months short of his 19th birthday.

A temporary move never materialised and the suggestion when Walker-Peters returned to London was that the number of high balls Roda played was a stumbling block for the right-back. Any fit has to be an appropriate one so instead he slotted back into Spurs’ under-21 side, where he had stood out in the previous 12 months, continued working and waited for his chance.

It finally came at Newcastle on Sunday and Walker-Peters’ patience could hardly have been better rewarded. He played with the energy and clarity that have become the hallmarks of this Tottenham side and, even if the man-of-the-match award after their 2-0 win was perhaps generous, his performance left little doubt that all those hours spent working to Mauricio Pochettino’s template had been well spent.

Walker-Peters operated just as Pochettino asks his full-backs to, wide and high, supporting the attack sensibly while dealing tenaciously enough with the occasional threat posed by Christian Atsu. It was not swashbuckling stuff but it was composed and competent; after a buildup dominated by the frustrations of Danny Rose, there was plenty to be said for such a lack of fuss.

The timing of his debut provided an instructive glimpse of the way Tottenham handle their young talent nowadays. While it is true that Walker-Peters benefited from Kieran Trippier’s injury, sustained against Juventus the previous week, and the departure of his near-namesake Kyle Walker, it is equally fair to say Pochettino had planned on having him around.

“We expect that they will be involved next season more than they were this season,” he said in May of Walker-Peters and two of his peers, Josh Onomah and Cameron Carter-Vickers. Walker-Peters had been integrated into the first-team squad as 2016-17 progressed, sitting on the substitutes’ bench for the FA Cup wins over Aston Villa and Wycombe, and the current campaign was always likely to be an important one for his prospects.

That is particularly the case because it may raise an eyebrow that, at 20, he had needed to wait so long for any kind of league football. He is at an age by which many footballers have already been swilled around the loan system several times, and one by which those at the Premier League’s bigger clubs generally tend to risk dropping through the cracks if they have not made some kind of first-team bow. But Pochettino prefers to keep his better young players close; when Football League sides expressed interest in borrowing Walker-Peters last season, with Wigan Athletic among those interested, Tottenham said no. He was far closer to a breakthrough than he had been at the time of the Roda trial and the priority was to steep the player in Pochettino’s methods.

A similar approach worked in the case of Harry Winks, who was 18 when he made his Tottenham debut but did not start a Premier League game until six weeks short of his 21st birthday. Winks was never loaned out either and was ready to fit in seamlessly when fully involved last season. The likelihood is that Walker-Peters will be given the opportunity to establish himself similarly, probably as Trippier’s understudy initially but – given the workload demanded of Spurs full-backs – rotated into the side often enough to complete his step up.

He began his football life as an attacker and shone in Spurs’ age-group teams through his speed and verve; the aim will be to bring more of that out of him after a debut that was understandably conservative when he neared the box. It may eventually be to his advantage, particularly if Rose’s situation sours further, that he is able to play on the opposite flank too.

Walker-Peters’ emergence is the latest positive reflection on a Tottenham academy whose fruits were available for wider perusal during the summer when he and Onomah both played important roles in England’s Under-20 World Cup win, the midfielder Marcus Edwards also featuring in an equally successful Uefa Under-19 Championship run.

Onomah, now 20 as well, has since gone on loan to Aston Villa; Edwards, compared to a young Lionel Messi by Pochettino, played against Gillingham in last season’s League Cup at the age of 17. There remain high hopes for the centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers, who has represented the USA youth sides, while the flair of the 18-year-old forward Samuel Shashoua has already sustained several YouTube showreels.

It is Walker-Peters who currently occupies the limelight, though, and perhaps it was clever of Pochettino to state before the Newcastle game that a start for the youngster might be “too much for him”.

Whether that was intended to manage external expectations or ensure the appropriate response from his player, the tactic paid off. Any doubts about Walker-Peters’ stomach for the battle may have been erased within six seconds of kick-off, when he challenged Ayoze Pérez for a Jonjo Shelvey diagonal and, his 5ft 9in frame leaping high against the Newcastle striker, came out comfortably on top. Working with Roda’s long balls may have been too much but Pochettino seems to have had the right effect all on his own.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
He's got the chance of a lifetime tomorrow night. Hope he's ready, and that he isn't listening to all the people reminding him it's the chance of a lifetime. Football aside, I'm very much rooting for him, he seems a good kid.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He's got the chance of a lifetime tomorrow night. Hope he's ready, and that he isn't listening to all the people reminding him it's the chance of a lifetime. Football aside, I'm very much rooting for him, he seems a good kid.
Not just him 2 other young players will be in the squad,we only have 17 fit senior pros.The fearlessness of youth maybe just what is needed.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Ally Gold has just done Poch’s presser over here. Big big day tomorrow Huge. COYS

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

We have reached agreement with Southampton for the permanent transfer of Kyle Walker-Peters.

A product of our Academy system, full-back Kyle made 24 first team appearances for us, scoring once, before joining the Saints on loan for the second half of the 2019/20 season, where he played a further 10 times in the Premier League.

We wish Kyle well for the future.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Good luck to KWP, he won the world Cup with England in 2017 in the U-20 squad. Surprised he hasn't made it at the very top level.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Good luck to KWP, he won the world Cup with England in 2017 in the U-20 squad. Surprised he hasn't made it at the very top level.
Couldn't press enough for the peak Poch system, can't defend well enough (or just not tall enough) for Mou.

But I think he will turn out to be very good. Ten years from now, he could be doing what Ashley Cole was doing until recently.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Couldn't press enough for the peak Poch system, can't defend well enough (or just not tall enough) for Mou.

But I think he will turn out to be very good. Ten years from now, he could be doing what Ashley Cole was doing until recently.
You might be right, Saints normally have an eye for a decent player. He might be another we let go too soon - looking forward to seeing how Josh Onomah gets on in the PL this season with Fulham.