By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Leicester City (A) PL Sat 21st September 2019 12:30

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Yo.....?
Hang on, you genuinely think were playing how we can/should be?
The level I am talking about is the one where we challenged for the title on and off over the season and mixed it properly. When we over achieved maybe? You cant take those games or even this season in isolation this has been going on for a while now and we have had the CL final gloss over a lot of shite imo.
We have either gone backwards or stood still while others have moved on and the performances show us that. The amount of games we have lost at the end of last and start of this season is a step down from where I hoped we would be. I'd wager it's a step down from where the players and club want to be also.
I have said time and time again it's the performances that I want. I dont care if we loose as long as we loose against a better side who deserve their win.
Something isnt right, that tight team ethic and graft for the system/project doesn't seem to be there.
Like you have said 3+ players, preseasons in most of them, a summer to work on tactics, new home ground.....
It doesnt all add up.
I haven't seen the game so cant comment on anything other than the result.... the result is shit, we lost after taking the lead.
The performance, to be fair, was better IMO than what we've been seeing, and Leicester are no mugs. However, over the last few seasons, we've been saying things like, "we'd have lost that game in the past" after scrapping out a result. Now, it's come full circle--we're blowing games we would have seen out 2-3 seasons ago. The dreaded S-word is starting to become relevant again, and I don't like it, because this group of players are too good for that.

Reactions: Yid
Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
offside was not a clear and obvious error and should not have been stood

Anyway, we need this slump to end. I would go full strength against Colchester and demand the performance. These players do not deserve a rest at the moment

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Anyway, we need this slump to end. I would go full strength against Colchester and demand the performance. These players do not deserve a rest at the moment
I know what you mean, but I'd definitely give Dier, for example, the chance to play his way back into the picture, and the Colchester game seems a good chance to do that..

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
I want to go back to how we were playing a few years ago, back 4 with Dier in front paired with Winks or NDom, Eriksen in off the left, Lamela or Son on the right. Dele in the middle with Kane. Job done, then others can be factored in to suit the game.

It's not complicated!

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Yo

You see this is what I don’t quite understand. What level have we stepped down from? We are once again in the Champions League, we are once again at the ‘pointy’ end of the league, only this season we have three new signings and a shiny new stadium. We’ve lost one bad game at home to Newcastle whilst City lost to newly promoted Norwich and we drew sluggishly away in an environment where no one else has ever won, let alone score a goal and we got two.

What is wrong exactly.....? Don’t rush I’ll wait.......
We've won 5 games in the league out the last 18 played and haven't won away in the league since January. I don't listen to pundits or what the red tops say, 22 points from 18 games is not far off relegation form, We've only kept 4 clean sheets in that period as well, it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that the garden isn't exactly rosey. Until we start stringing some wins together, or just a 5/6 game unbeaten run, then there'll be a percentage of the fan base that will continue to feel a little uneasy at what's happening on and off the pitch.

On the flip side, yes we've had a really difficult run of away fixtures to contend with, we were electric against a Palace side who had started the season well. We have a fabulous bunch of players and one of the best managers out there. I fully expect us to go on a decent run soon and in terms of the league, i think other than Liverpool and City, who i think personally will battle it out for the top 2 spots then it's open season for the remaining 2 spots, and we will very much be in the mix and if we find our groove again, then who knows, but until we stop throwing leads away and start finding some consistency, then for many, the worries will intensify.

One other thing, I've really noticed how much we've missed that calming effect Moussa had on our midfield.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
22 points from our last 18 games.

18 games is not a glitch in my opinion. It’s a big enough sample size to tell me that we have what is bordering on a serious problem.

I’m not panicking but I no longer have the faith in us that I did 6 months ago.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
The CL run papered over a lot of cracks.

22 points from 18 games (haven't six of these been from just Palace?)

To me... It's obvious our motivation is low. They aren't playing for each other and honestly all this contract nonsense isn't helping. If Toby, Jan and Christian don't want to sign in the next month get them out the door in January. We cannot have players holding the club hostage and infecting the dressing room

Too easy to score against, laboured on the ball, just not trying hard enough in the games, and littered with lazy play and mistakes.

Tables mean nothing before November anyway

Don't get me wrong, we could have won every game 2-1 and I'd still be moaning about the way we are playing at the moment. Results hide all manner of evils, but we aren't getting results either.

Well be lucky at this rate to get 60 points (league form this year suggests 52, but we're playing tough away games atm).

Now would I be as upset if we beat Newcastle. No. But we were woeful against them. Lucky to be two up against Olympiakos. Drew. Up against Leicester. Lost. Sadly we've been awful in most of our games this season, for at least a half.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Yes. A lot of people are having a pop at Poch for sticking on Wanyama, who was very poor, but this is becoming ridiculous. As soon as Serge's goal was disallowed, you could almost see it coming.

As an aside, I honestly can't work out how Son was offside. Pointless to complain about it, especially as we've benefited from similarly questionable decisions, but still.
I get what you are getting at but I can't think of too many VAR decisions that have been this ridiculous in terms of exposing the limits of the technology and human use of it and indeed illustrating the whole notion of margins of error when it comes to observing events with imprecision and uncertainty baked into it and then claim an event has been perfectly observed to make a decision that cannot be challenged. I reckon if you had video of the process that was going on to make that decision it would be farcical. The rhetoric around the whole process is bemusing to anyone who has worked in science or the philosophy of science.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
VAR is like wasps, you have to put up with the fuckers. I don't get too upset because as Poch says it's swings and roundabouts, we win some we lose some. But It is getting on my thrupnies and I hope they scrap it. The offside decision against Sonny was pathetic, there is no way that should have been given - but it was, so we have to just get on with it and get another one..

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I get what you are getting at but I can't think of too many VAR decisions that have been this ridiculous in terms of exposing the limits of the technology and human use of it and indeed illustrating the whole notion of margins of error when it comes to observing events with imprecision and uncertainty baked into it and then claim an event has been perfectly observed to make a decision that cannot be challenged. I reckon if you had video of the process that was going on to make that decision it would be farcical. The rhetoric around the whole process is bemusing to anyone who has worked in science or the philosophy of science.
They probably have some quantum physicist in the booth trying to tell the lino that Sonny was both offside and onside at the same time.

In all seriousness, as I've thought about it more, you've pretty much pointed out my biggest problem with VAR. Beyond that, it's just fucking up the flow of the games while not resolving controversies--the way the clear and obvious rule is being interpreted just creates one farce after another. And it will only get worse. Basketball, the only other sport I follow, gets unwatchable down the stretch as the referees check one call after another on the monitor. It started with just a handful of decisions eligible for video review, but now it's been expanded.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
And then the FA has obviously decided every contentious decision is umpires call,the penalty on Rose,the over the top of the ball leg breaker challenge,straight red not actioned on,i get they dont want to undermine the refs but jesus what is the point of var then?just offsides?,that Haller penalty not given the other week being the most outrageous so far.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
One other thing, I've really noticed how much we've missed that calming effect Moussa had on our midfield.

This is the absolute biggest difference in our side. I'd also add that losing Walker was a huge blow. We were way better with the two of them than we are now.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
They probably have some quantum physicist in the booth trying to tell the lino that Sonny was both offside and onside at the same time.

In all seriousness, as I've thought about it more, you've pretty much pointed out my biggest problem with VAR. Beyond that, it's just fucking up the flow of the games while not resolving controversies--the way the clear and obvious rule is being interpreted just creates one farce after another. And it will only get worse. Basketball, the only other sport I follow, gets unwatchable down the stretch as the referees check one call after another on the monitor. It started with just a handful of decisions eligible for video review, but now it's been expanded.
wait til they realise they can monetise VAR with adverts,thats the kicker.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
And then the FA has obviously decided every contentious decision is umpires call,the penalty on Rose,the over the top of the ball leg breaker challenge,straight red not actioned on,i get they dont want to undermine the refs but jesus what is the point of var then?just offsides?,that Haller penalty not given the other week being the most outrageous so far.
Its not because its the scum,its because its a nailed on penalty.Tell me what is given in the champions league when this happens??

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
VAR is like wasps, you have to put up with the fuckers. I don't get too upset because as Poch says it's swings and roundabouts, we win some we lose some. But It is getting on my thrupnies and I hope they scrap it. The offside decision against Sonny was pathetic, there is no way that should have been given - but it was, so we have to just get on with it and get another one..
That's the fucking problem it was introduced to eliminate...
Over a season you won some and lost some and I was cool with that as human error and the fallout from it was natural.
It's the cunting pundits lambasting Referees at every opportunity to make them selves look fucking important and dare I say it thick supporters who've never played a fast flowing contact sport in their fucking lives who dont appreciate just how good a job the officials do.... most of the time.
Var is not like Wasps its like Aids.
You have to put up with that and it eventually kills you from the inside.
Still havent seen the Lecis game.... still a shit result.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
i expect the betting companies will get in on it as well and then the game will be totally fucked because every VAR check will be about 5 minutes so they can rake in oodles of wonga.

I would imagine that these conversations are going on in every team's forums and the verdict from the fans will be a resounding 'fuck VAR', but the FA and the premier League don't give a fuck about fans, just money, so VAR, stupid fucking Monday and Friday night games that are a nightmare for travelling fans will continue, I wouldn't be surprised to see the game split into quarters so they can bash more advertising in and they will say it gives the players more hydration or recovery time.