By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Leicester City (H) PL Sun 19th July 2020 16:00

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Just saying,possesion and shots means nothing if the score doesnt go with them.

EdXR_CsWAAAiyX4

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
If that's his approach--and I agree it will be--we better win sharpish. Johan Cruyff said Mourinho was a results manager, not a football manager. Jose took that as a compliment (though of course Cruyff didn't mean it that way.) At bare minimum, you're going to be a "results manager" you better get results.

I think that many, possibly including me, wouldn't be completely happy with results if they're won playing dreadful football. It's a debate we may well be having over the next season or so. Of course, it doesn't help that I just don't like Mourinho, and probably wouldn't even if his football was easy on the eye.

Still, we're on a good run, this is going to be a very interesting transfer window.

The bolded bit.

There are big debates about it on other forums.
The Mourinho Maraschino Cherry types do not care what they see as long as we win. They'll gladly sit on top of those results all day long.

My position is that football has various aspects.
In a nutshell, on one side there's the cerebral / tactical part & then there's the instinctive / creative / skillful side.
Innovation can occur on both sides & that's where things can get interesting.

But since football is a game, I believe it should also be fun. Whether to play or to watch.
I can appreciate what Mourinho does (to an extent) because of the former. His teams are disciplined & mainly cohesive in their approach. There's some order. & semblance of a plan. Many times I'm intrigued by which plan will be utilized & how it is to be executed. There can be beauty in that too..

But if it is drab, out of synch & poorly executed, kick & run, it can be a very hard watch.
We've had a few of those BUT, for me, it's still early days.

Mourinho is pragmatic. He knows what he has to work with & does what he can but always erring on the side of caution.
In many of our games we have simply sat back, abandoning possession, & absorbing their pressure.
There's a time & place for that depending on the opposition,

But as a fan, I want to be entertained.
And as a Spurs fan, I grew up being entertained.
And I hope that continues. I expect a dose of something other than just countering.. I like the flare. The bravado & passion that comes with it. The fly by the seat of your pants approach works for me too. I'd prefer to win 5-4 than 1 nil with 20% possession & scoring through an own goal.

At this time, I'll take the wins in the manner that we've had. There has to be a foundation established & it looks like he's doing it.
My hope is that it evolves into something much more.
Something that excites & can be proud of.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The bolded bit.

There are big debates about it on other forums.
The Mourinho Maraschino Cherry types do not care what they see as long as we win. They'll gladly sit on top of those results all day long.

My position is that football has various aspects.
In a nutshell, on one side there's the cerebral / tactical part & then there's the instinctive / creative / skillful side.
Innovation can occur on both sides & that's where things can get interesting.

But since football is a game, I believe it should also be fun. Whether to play or to watch.
I can appreciate what Mourinho does (to an extent) because of the former. His teams are disciplined & mainly cohesive in their approach. There's some order. & semblance of a plan. Many times I'm intrigued by which plan will be utilized & how it is to be executed. There can be beauty in that too..

But if it is drab, out of synch & poorly executed, kick & run, it can be a very hard watch.
We've had a few of those BUT, for me, it's still early days.

Mourinho is pragmatic. He knows what he has to work with & does what he can but always erring on the side of caution.
In many of our games we have simply sat back, abandoning possession, & absorbing their pressure.
There's a time & place for that depending on the opposition,

But as a fan, I want to be entertained.
And as a Spurs fan, I grew up being entertained.
And I hope that continues. I expect a dose of something other than just countering.. I like the flare. The bravado & passion that comes with it. The fly by the seat of your pants approach works for me too. I'd prefer to win 5-4 than 1 nil with 20% possession & scoring through an own goal.

At this time, I'll take the wins in the manner that we've had. There has to be a foundation established & it looks like he's doing it.
My hope is that it evolves into something much more.
Something that excites & can be proud of.
The divisiveness about poch or mourinho,pressing or low block and counter,its just opinion,I dont really understand people losing their minds over if other people agree or not.Entertainment or results (ofc you can have both) if supporter A wants this and supporter B the opposite,whats the big deal??I want entertainment,its what i grew up,with why I played and watch the game,I want enjoyment,yes winning cups would make me happy,yes winning games makes you happy,but there is something more intangible about sport for myself.If I wanted trophies just so I could banter others I could be spurs and celtic,bayern barca,but what joy would I get personally ffrom bantering dortmund fans,its happened again?Just my personal connection to a club for nearly half a century,we are what we are,if people want us to become 2004 chelsea so we can take the piss out of other fans,it actually makes me sad because it should be about more than a quick wank over an open top bus parade.

But that is just my choice,opinion,view.I too hope we can entertain and win enough of the time so we can smile and be proud.What will jose`s stadium livery message be alongside Ledley`s "its my one and only club" or Bill Nics "the game is about glory","we are intelligent cunts" ??nothing except life or death is win at all costs.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
As the other King said, not Ledley but Riley B King ( B B ) :

The thrill is gone
The thrill is gone away
The thrill is gone baby
The thrill is gone away
You know you done me wrong baby
And you'll be sorry someday
The thrill is gone
It's gone away from me
The thrill is gone baby
The thrill is gone away from me
Although, I'll still live on
But so lonely I'll be
The thrill is gone
It's gone away for good
The thrill is gone baby
It's gone away for good
Someday I know I'll be open armed baby
Just like I know a good man should
You know I'm free, free now baby
I'm free from your spell
Oh I'm free, free, free now
I'm free from your spell
And now that it's all over
All I can do is wish you well

Has the thrill gone? For me, at the moment, it has. We endured AVB , the win percentages were OK, the football was mind crushingly dull. Now we have Mourinho, the football is dull, counter attacking works against some teams, but the beautiful game it ain't. I don't like it so much, it ain't Proper Spursy.

Results don't matter as much as the game to me, I know I bang on about this but one of the best Spurs games I saw at the Lane for donkey's years was when we got beaten 4-2 by the chavs, it was a great game and Cech (I think, the remembering bit don't work too good) had a blinder of a game, it could have been 10 all! Imagine if you went fishing and every time you lobbed your bait in you caught something or if you were lying in the grass with yer shooter waiting for a critter and there were hundreds of the fuckers and every shot was a kill, that would be boring, no thrill, no hope, no expectation of something splendid - OK, some people don't like killing things as much as me, but I have only ever hunted for food and if you buy meat from Tescos you can fuck off with your high and mighty morals. Football is like hunting, you kill people you don't like ....... no hold on, that's not right. It's like fishing, you lob a hook into the crowd and rip the face off a goon fan, nope, that's not it.

What I am trying to say, very badly, is that for me the thrill and excitement I used to feel (AVB period excepted) has gone, I can't even be arsed finding a stream sometimes. In the olden days I would trek through the fucking jungles of Thailand to find a bar at 3am to watch ANY Spurs game. I want my Spurs back.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
The other night I watched us beat Leeds in the Cup in 99. Ginola was magic. That's what I miss....the magic of a Ginola, a Bale, a Hoddle, even the excitement of Lennon skinning a full back....
If Jose had been manager when we beat Wigan 9-1, at 3-1, he would gave taken Defoe off and brought on Bassong to make sure the points were safe....that's not our way. But I dont blame Jose...I didnt blame AVB, the blame firmly lies with the chairman who employs these managers and by doing so, is clearly out of touch with what the Spurs fans want and fucking deserve.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
The other night I watched us beat Leeds in the Cup in 99. Ginola was magic. That's what I miss....the magic of a Ginola, a Bale, a Hoddle, even the excitement of Lennon skinning a full back....
If Jose had been manager when we beat Wigan 9-1, at 3-1, he would gave taken Defoe off and brought on Bassong to make sure the points were safe....that's not our way. But I dont blame Jose...I didnt blame AVB, the blame firmly lies with the chairman who employs these managers and by doing so, is clearly out of touch with what the Spurs fans want and fucking deserve.

yup I agree , I said to a mate , if Jose had been the manager ,at half time v Ajax he’d have protected the 2-0 defeat , rather than go for it ,and get a last minute winner

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Played pish but got what we needed. We got out played by Palace for large portions of the game which just isn't good enough.

Kanes goal was lethal. Such quick feet. Shame he will be heamed in so often to shut up shop.

Strange, shit season. Glad to see the back of it to be honest. We definitely need a couple of new faces. That midfield needs an overhaul.