By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Leicester H [PL] 15:00 Sat 29th Oct 2016

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
At last !!!

video-undefined-26D4E0FA00000578-664_637x359.jpg

Finally a home game for the last of octobers fixtures,can we remain unbeaten 3 months into the season?
After 2 hard fought draws away in the league,a 3rd if we throw in away at leverkusen,can we get back to winning ways and silence the inevitable champions taunts from these back to their usual bottom half of the table crisp munchers???
If so 3pts in this and october wont look so bad.

Dont forget clocks change night of this match,for those who`s time zone it affects.

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
We need to find that posts thingy with a net behind it. I'm starting to miss Harry big time and I can't see him being match fit for this game. I honestly don't think we are playing bad whatsoever, just no finish and missing too many chances My bloody heart can't take much more of this for 90+ minutes.
Can I see that changing for this game? Possibly, as Leicester ain't getting the luck and run of the ball like they did last season, so hopefully the tide has turned and the foxes will be on the run.
Can't wait to get back down to the Lane, seems like an age.
Sticking my neck out here and going 3-0 but don't ask me who is going at last find that net thingy.
COYS

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I'm going to this so we'll win......or at least I bloody hope so, I went last January when we lost 1-0, need to right that wrong.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
We owe these dickheads a thrashing after last season. They were pretty good against Palace on the weekend, though.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I wanna smash these step toe loving fcuks.

What's the chances of getting Augero on loan at chrimbo....

Pep don't like strikers.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Every time we have lost a game under Pochetino we have bounced back with a string of good results so I'm expecting a good performance and all three points from this one.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Cunts. Want a top performance. Aftrr last season I'm expecting a game with plenty of needle.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Cunts. Want a top performance. Aftrr last season I'm expecting a game with plenty of needle.
You had me at cunts...

here`s some proof,fucking hope we smash these lot into the championship where they and blackburn can reminisce together for a decade.
CvsfPsxWgAAz8LP.jpg

cunts I tell you

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
On Saturday, Premier League champions Leicester take on a Tottenham side that have not lost in the top flight this season.

Foxes boss Claudio Ranieri says: "Spurs are the only unbeaten team in the Premier League because they have a very good squad. They can change and rotate.

"We know it will be a good match. Tottenham are a fantastic team. Last year they were very close to us and will continue to fight for the title."

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Just another bunch of absolute weapons who, along with Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea, look at us as the team they most desperately don't want to lose to.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I always had shit memories of playing Leicester from the 90's (apart from 99 league cup final) and those stats will be why. My god we were shit when I was a kid. Ginola was good enough as a hero for me!

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
I always had shit memories of playing Leicester from the 90's (apart from 99 league cup final) and those stats will be why. My god we were shit when I was a kid. Ginola was good enough as a hero for me!

My brother and I used to almost not bother checking the results of away games during the 90s.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Spurs duo Harry Kane & Toby Alderweireld were absent in yesterday's training at Hotspur Way & are rated very doubtful for #LCFC game.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I'm normally not an annoying picky detail sort of bloke...but I've just had a mild heart murmur when reading the thread title that this game is on 'Sun 29th October' ....coz I wouldn't be able to go without getting a divorce as part of the bargain. Thankfully it is on 'Saturday 29th October' and the old ticker is still in one piece.

Talking of hearts @Dorset how is yours these days...will you be making the pilgrimage this season at all, last time to see the old WHL as we know it etc.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I'm normally not an annoying picky detail sort of bloke...but I've just had a mild heart murmur when reading the thread title that this game is on 'Sun 29th October' ....coz I wouldn't be able to go without getting a divorce as part of the bargain. Thankfully it is on 'Saturday 29th October' and the old ticker is still in one piece.

Talking of hearts @Dorset how is yours these days...will you be making the pilgrimage this season at all, last time to see the old WHL as we know it etc.
oops......fixed that,its cos i copy/paste an old thread title to keep the format the same and obviously fucked up (again).glad to give you some cardiac stimulus though :)

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Back to reality;
Kane & Alderweireld are still out but Pochettino says they might be back for Leverkusen or Arsenal next week. Or neither...

Kane has missed the last eight games after suffering an ankle injury against Sunderland, while Alderweireld has been absent for three matches after being stretchered off against West Bromwich Albion on October 15, having collided with team-mate Jan Vertonghen and hurt his knee.

They will both miss tomorrow’s league game against Premier League champions Leicester City at White Hart Lane.

But Pochettino said: “If Harry’s evolution is great in the next few days, maybe he’s available if not [on] Wednesday then maybe Sunday. If not we need to wait two weeks after the international break. Toby is the same as Harry and we’ll see.”

While Tottenham conceded a goal against West Brom after Alderweireld’s departure, they kept clean sheets in their following two games against Leverkusen and Bournemouth, before a second-string team lost 2-1 at Liverpool in the EFL Cup on Tuesday night.

Eric Dier has played his part in two successive shut-outs while playing as a centre-back alongside Jan Vertonghen, deputising effectively for Alderweireld – and Pochettino says there should be no assumption that the Belgian will walk straight back into the team when he is fit enough to return.

“Nobody owns their place in the team,” the manager stressed. “Now he (Dier) is playing in a position that is centre-back, but it’s not Toby’s place.

“Football is about the present and today it’s Eric Dier and he’s playing well and I’m happy with him and it’s tough for Toby to take the place again. Football is about opportunities and taking opportunities.”

Pochettino has laughed off rumours that Spurs are interested in signing Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero, chuckling before saying: “Not true, 100 per cent not true.”

However, another Argentine is keen to sign a deal with Tottenham, with Erik Lamela stating this week that he would like to join the list of players who have recently extended their contracts.

“That is good news, that the player shows their commitment to the club and wants to be here and commit to the future,” said Pochettino. “It’s fantastic for us. Lamela is still very young and he’s an important player for us. I’m happy to hear that.”

An agreement is not expected imminently, though: “I’m always honest with you and nothing happens in the next week,” said Pochettino. “There’s nothing to announce, nothing is coming.”

The immediate focus is on tomorrow’s showdown with Leicester, who beat Spurs to the league title last campaign.

Claudio Ranieri’s champions look destined to lose their crown in May, currently lying in 12th place, nine points off the top – but Pochettino believes the Foxes can still be contenders.

“It’s not unrealistic,” he said. “I think they’ve signed good players. It’s normal, it’s difficult to keep the level that they showed last season.

“Today they are involved in one competition more, the Champions League, and that is difficult because you spend a lot of energy in that competition and to share it with the Premier League is very tough.

“It’s a very fresh experience, like for us - to play in the Champions League demands different things from us. But still they are a very good team with good players and it will be a very tough game on Saturday.”

The title race looks set to be closer than ever this term, with just one point separating the top five sides – a group that includes fifth-placed Tottenham, and Pochettino said: “At the moment, so far, we expect that. It’s a very competitive season and a lot of clubs and teams are fighting to be top of the table.

“I think this season will be tough and competitive and maybe we need to wait until the last game to know which team lifts the trophy in the end.

“But it’s good for us, good for the Premier League and good for football. I want to be involved. If that happens it’s a good thing for us.”

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial

The Club will pay its respects to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in armed conflict at tomorrow's game - http://spurs.to/SpursRemembers2016 …

Cv2SgoRVYAELFuv.jpg

Fans can pay their respects and support the @PoppyLegion appeal, which begins today, at our Poppy wall.
CvxrzbIXgAAwkpR.jpg

CvxrzbFWEAAyS5v.jpg

#THFC & @PoppyLegion limited edition Poppy pin badge produced as we enter this period of Remembrance
CvsH2oqWYAAvput.jpg

The pin badge will be available for fans to purchase for a minimum donation of £3 from the Spurs Megastore, White Hart Lane Reception and within our Hospitality Lounges at Saturday’s match with Leicester at the Lane, at which we shall pay our respects to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice in all armed conflict, 100 years on from the Battle of the Somme.

All funds raised from the sale of the pin badges will be donated to the Royal British Legion and we anticipate that stock will sell out quickly, so you can pre-order your badge ONLINE HERE.The badges will also be available from Spurs Shops - including the Megastore

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
John Motson: "During their famous title-winning season of 1961-62, Tottenham didn't suffer defeat until the 17th game.

"So however well they are doing this campaign, and their nine-match unbeaten run is their best ever start to a Premier League campaign, they have still got someway to go to replicate that feat.

"Leicester have lost all four of their away games this season but they won at White Hart Lane in January - a six-point swing in their favour that played a pivotal role in them ultimately winning the title.

"However, Claudio Ranieri's prioritising of the Champions League means I wouldn't be surprised if he rested a few first-choice players with Wednesday's trip to Copenhagen in mind."

boo

boo

Founding Member
Premier League champions Leicester City travel to North London on Saturday afternoon to take on former title rivals Tottenham Hotspur.

Clashing with Mauricio Pochettino’s men, Claudio Ranieri’s Foxes will renew pleasantries with the Lilywhites and will hope to earn a good result on their final league visit to White Hart Lane. However, with Spurs currently undefeated in the league in this campaign, can the champions somehow claim the three points?

Home advantage the answer for Spurs?
So far, these two sides have had to endure contrasting seasons. Starting the campaign with a disappointing defeat at Hull City, Leicester fell to further heavy losses away to Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea. As a matter of fact, the Foxes have not taken a single point away from the King Power Stadium. Shipping an astounding 13 goals in the process, Claudio Ranieri will hope to be dishing out the pizza this week with a clean sheet.

Elsewhere, Tottenham Hotspur are undefeated on home soil and even managed to impressively dispatch of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City 2-0 at the start of October. Currently sitting 5th in the Premier League table, Pochettino’s troops will hope to continue their outstanding run at White Hart Lane.

Whereas, on their final trip in the league, the Foxes will surely hope to earn their first away win of the current campaign and build on last weekend’s pleasing 3-1 victory over Crystal Palace.

Familiar foes
Most supporters on both sides will surely be familiar with this particular clash. Coming together on four separate occasions in both the league and FA Cup, Ranieri and Pochettino all but shared the bragging rights. Taking victory once each with a further two draws, both managers will be really pushing to get the upper hand this time around.

However, it is the enthusiastic Italian that holds the better record against Tottenham. Meeting the Lilywhites 10 different times as manager of both London rivals Chelsea and of course, Leicester City, the former Juventus boss is undefeated.

Earning the victory on seven different occasions with three draws, he has great experience when travelling to White Hart Lane. Moreover, it was their 1-0 win, courtesy of a powerful Robert Huth header last season, that for the first time gave the Foxes the upper-hand in the race for the Premier League crown.

As a matter of fact, the Foxes have only fallen to three losses in just under 25 years at White Hart Lane so will be anxious to extend that excellent record beyond Saturday afternoon.

Team News
The current reigning Premier League champions take on Tottenham Hotspur with a distinct lack of options in the centre of the park. Already missing the likes of Matty James and Nampalys Mendy, Ranieri was concerned to see Andy King limp off against Crystal Palace. The Welsh international is doubtful for Saturday’s clash so Daniel Amartey could again come in to partner Danny Drinkwater.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Battle-of-the-somme.jpg

12 things you might not know about the battle of the somme

1. 1. 12 things you might not know about the Battle of the Somme (1916)
  2. 2. The Battle of the Somme was originally meant to be a French led offensive with the British in support. It was also initially planned for August 1916 1
  3. 3. But, Germany attacked Verdun in Feb 1916. France could not launch an attack, indeed a British offensive was needed to divert German resources away from Verdun 2
  4. 4. In the preliminary artillery bombardment for the Battle of the Somme, British artillery fired 1.73 million shells on to the German lines 3
  5. 5. During the battle of Flers-Courcelette on 15 September 1916 the tank made an appearance on a battlefield for the first time. 4
  6. 6. During the Battle of the Somme, 51 Victoria Crosses were awarded. 17 of them were awarded posthumously 5
  7. 7. The average British infantryman carried 50lbs (30KG) of equipment as he went over the top during the first phase of the Battle of the Somme 6
  8. 8. 7 Britain lost 57,470 casualties (killed and wounded) on the first day of the Battle of the Somme (1 July 1916)
  9. 9. During the battle between July and November 1916, the Allied armies suffered around 615,000 casualties. Germany lost around 500,000 8
  10. 10. A huge mine consisting of 14,000KG of explosives was detonated under a German strongpoint at Hawthawn Ridge Redoubt at 7.20am on 1st July 1916. Ten minutes before the general attack started. 9
  11. 11. An even bigger mine was blown at La Boisselle at 7.28am. It consisted of two charges with over 27,000KG of explosives and when blown it produced the largest man made sound in history at that time. 10
  12. 12. Two cameramen, Geoffrey Malins and John McDowell, were allowed to film the early days of the battle. Producing some of the most iconic images of the war 11
  13. 13. It is estimated that 20 million people went to see the film in the cinema. Nearly half the population of Britain at that time. 12

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
John Motson: "During their famous title-winning season of 1961-62, Tottenham didn't suffer defeat until the 17th game.

"So however well they are doing this campaign, and their nine-match unbeaten run is their best ever start to a Premier League campaign, they have still got someway to go to replicate that feat.

"Leicester have lost all four of their away games this season but they won at White Hart Lane in January - a six-point swing in their favour that played a pivotal role in them ultimately winning the title.

"However, Claudio Ranieri's prioritising of the Champions League means I wouldn't be surprised if he rested a few first-choice players with Wednesday's trip to Copenhagen in mind."
61-62? The man's a fucking imbecile.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
I know the poppy appeal isn't just about the 2 world wars but it's understandable why we all focus on that. The first world war particularly gives me a lump in my throat, the conditions the men had to contend with don't bare thinking about. A horrific period in our history and generations of families wiped out. So very sad.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
14. 38 million people died for no reason whatsoever, nobody knows what WW1 was all about
15. Jamie Vardy started WW1 by saying racist stuff to the pop group Franz Ferdinand, he probably called them big fat sweaties.
16 Item 15 is a carefully hidden ploy to get back on topi.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he declined to call Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri at the end of last season and congratulate him on the Foxes’ Premier League title triumph, because he felt it would have been disingenuous and “fake”.
Leicester and Spurs – who go head to head at White Hart Lane tomorrow - were battling for the crown before the Lilywhites’ 2-2 draw at Chelsea on May 2 handed the trophy to their rivals with two games to spare.

Asked if he opted to congratulate Ranieri personally, Pochettino said: “No, I never phoned him. I relayed my message in the press conference after the Chelsea game. It was the first thing I said - it was to congratulate him and send a message through the TV.

“I am not fake, I wasn’t happy that day. It’s like when we are fighting on the bench with another bench - an opponent - and the culture here is to share a glass of wine in the manager’s room. Why?

“In front of the TV and all the people I go ‘I am very brave and fight with all’. Then it’s ‘sorry, sorry, all the best, cheers’ and share some red wine? Very fake, I am not fake. I congratulate him and all the fans of Leicester, and the coaching staff and players, but I wasn’t happy.

“I wasn’t angry but disappointed because always being close to touching glory, that is always sad.

“In football, in the end you take what you deserve and there’s nothing to complain about with Leicester. They deserved to lift the trophy and win the league. For us it was our mistake, we didn’t take that [opportunity].

“I think it’s a chapter that is closed. It was good when, all together, we had meetings with people after the Euros and after the holidays.

“We met again and that was good. It was open that chapter, and it was good to close it - to pull out the feeling from us, the players, the staff and everyone. That is the thing that we need to improve and learn, not about if you lose a game - that is more important.

“How to create good emotions, good ideas, good feelings again - that is the most difficult thing, not only in football but in every sport, in life, my family, my house.”

Leicester won the title with a counter-attacking approach, having averaged just 43 per cent of the possession in their top-flight fixtures.

Pochettino favours a very different philosophy, preferring his teams to have much more of the ball. However, he has no issues with the style in which the Foxes achieved their success, having cheered his national team to World Cup glory on two occasions as a youngster, while observing contrasting styles.

“For me, because of my culture and how I grew up in football in Argentina, I grew up under two different styles and I was happy, in the same way,” he said.

“We won in the World Cup in Argentina in 1978 with Cesar Luis Menotti, [when] we cared more about the aesthetic side. It was very important not only to win the games, but how you won the games.

“Then in 1986 in Mexico with [Carlos Salvador] Bilardo, it was the opposite side and we won the World Cup too and I enjoyed it a lot. They were two different completely styles and ideas and both times we were world champions, and that is football.

“Football is not one truth, it’s a thousand truths or millions of truths and we need to be very respectful with the people that don’t share your ideas and don’t see football how you see football.

“That doesn’t mean it’s not football, if Leicester play in a different way. They try to win and the aim is to win games and score more goals than your opponent, and for that I am very respectful with the people that don’t share my ideas.”