By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Liverpool (A) Champions League Final Sat 1st June 20:00

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
I have rarely done this before but after the early Poch days of quizzickly accepting Pochetinos substitutions and occasionally his team sheets, today, being the morning after the night before, I lay the blame for last night firmly at the door of Pochetino. Immediately on seeing his team sheet I knew his gamble was already lost.
A woefully out of form and confidence free Trippier, and two back from injury players left us dreadfully under strength. How the players reacted after our semi-final hat trick hero was left out of the side only they can tell us, but it surely must have made an impact.
Instead of looking fresh after a 3 week lay off, it looked to me as if rust had started to form on all the players. Lethargic and passing like a newly formed team playing together for the first time.
No shots on target until after the 65th minute and then all those after then on target went straight to the goalkeeper. Watching their training the day before and seeing their shooting practice was terrifyingly amateur, balls being played in from the bye-line by a trainer for the players to practice with and seeing the stand and the wall behind the goal get peppered was comical in the extreme. Out of maybe a hundred shots, 3 were “scored”. Scuffed, shinned and wildly inaccurate shooting showed us a portent of things to come.
Liverpool was just as awful as we were, and was there for the taking, they were tired and played no better than us.
I wanted 2 things to happen which didn’t, do not concede an early goal and give everything that is possible to give. ie, leave everything on the pitch.
The atmosphere at the stadium was amazing, and I for one could not hear any of the commentary, such was the amount of singing.

I knew we would create chances, probably lots of them, but it was whether we would take them or not would be the key.

I had kind of prepared myself for just such a game but it has still hit me hard. I had never thought for one second that we would play as we did. I love this team and we will do better next season, I absolutely believe that.

It’s good to talk. Thanks for listening.

Bollocks.

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.
I have rarely done this before but after the early Poch days of quizzickly accepting Pochetinos substitutions and occasionally his team sheets, today, being the morning after the night before, I lay the blame for last night firmly at the door of Pochetino. Immediately on seeing his team sheet I knew his gamble was already lost.

I also felt we had lost as soon as I saw Kane starting ahead of Lucas. That said, I don't really blame the back four or Winks. The team pretty much picked itself and the only real decisions were at striker and right-back. Trippier did okay so it is worth noting that but CL finals are won and lost on fine details and form players.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Look let’s forget the character assassinations, in the game that I watched it looked like two tired teams, playing in 30 degree heat, not having played for 3 weeks after a long season. There was nothing in the game between the sides, one lucky penalty and one chance taken. That’s it. Not Poch, Kane, Lucas, Tripps or Winks, and not Salah, Mane, Robertson, Klopp either.

Just a frustrating football match. To win it you’ve first got to be in it, and we were. Huge amount of positives, very few negatives. Let’s do it again next year. COYS.

River

River

Administrator
Staff member
Not the result we wanted but had a cracking day, thanks @skiathospurs for getting the tickets for us and the guys who’s seats they were.

Bumped into Micky Hazard outside which made the day even better, what a genuinely nice bloke, had all the time in the world

COYS

A77DB08F-BC2F-47D8-BFAF-002BA6BEE9D9.jpeg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
to suggest that Pochettino was dropping a player on fire, an attacker full of goals is an exaggeration.
Since the beginning of April, Lucas has only scored in two of 12 matches with no assists. Those goals were the hat-trick against Hudderfield on April 13 and the treble against Ajax on May 8.
In his last match against Everton he barely touched the ball or made any impact. Then came that three-week break which wipes out any perceived momentum.

That's not to play down Lucas' Champions League contribution, the Ajax hat-trick and the goals at Barcelona and PSV were some major highlights.
However, in the end this was not about making a romantic gesture in including him for those previous goals. Pochettino doesn't do that, particularly in the big games.

That Tottenham lost means the decision was always going to be analysed but the fact that Lucas struggled to make much of an impact against a tiring Liverpool side with around half an hour on the pitch perhaps showed it would not have been his day either.

If we are scapegoating I could also set about sissoko for fronting up full scarecrow giving away the penalty as well as not having much impact in the match,Son,Dele,Eriksen didnt make chances count and failed numerous times to make simple passes,kane trippier not as good as can be,but rarely do all eleven fire on all cylinders the same match,win as a team,lose as a team.One deflection or mishit from our efforts which were tame and a goal and who would have cared today?Small margins.We turned one of the best attacking teams in europe into bus mode,their keeper was MOTM,made the most saves (8) ever in a CL final,yes they made the better chances,but this game was never beyond us until the very late 2nd goal and that after a very dubious penalty after 27secs.

All we needed was 1 player to impact the game after the penalty,to make the opening or take the opening,it should have been Son or Dele probably,VVD and Matip were always close to kane,several times Dele and Son had space beyond Harry and it just didnt go their way every time,Their control,good defending,poor passing or option taken,look at it this way the hero of the Etihad mistimed his header it hit his arse and hand and went in,winner winner chicken dinner.Tiny margins,where as when you are shite and playing thursday nights you dont even have the option of a margin to have a good eberning 🧛‍♂️ .

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
My only issue from yesterday is that it was very representative of our whole season, which to me is a slight concern. Slow out the blocks yet again, which has been symbolic of our season apart from the odd isolated match and the little purple patch we had around Christmas, against Bournemouth and Everton. The sideways passing, the lack of cohesion amongst the front 4, we've been so reliant on individual moments of magic this season and had to dig so deep at times, but very little in terms of fluid interplay which we had in the 2 or so seasons prior to this one. I think Dele's gone backwards a bit this season, although injuries and a world cup hangover may well have played apart, but there's no doubt in my mind, other than a few months prior to Christmas, that he's been well short of his best, the same can be said of Cristian.

With all that in mind, it's been an incredible season, given everything we've had to contend with, to have finished in the top 4 again and reached a cl final, is a sensational achievement but i think we need some serious freshening up in the Summer, although a long Summer break for the squad will be extremely welcomed and i think next season will be a very special one for us.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I am suffering from this dilemma. If I go the local bar there will be dippers there, more Yids deffo but dippers will be there. I have tried to say things like 'well done chaps you deserved it' but it always comes out as 'fuck off you dipper cunt before I kill you'. I don't have any self-control or tolerance so I might stay home and watch on the tv.
Guess what? I didn't stay home - and now I'm barred from the shithole that I wasn't planning on going back to anyway, too many expat wankers for my liking. Standard stuff for me, I think Ive been barred from every local I have ever been into and it was a total fair cop, I would have barred me last night.

If the game had been better then I might not have kicked off, but it wasn't a classic. Well done to the team for getting to the final. Next year we will have a stronger squad and we won't have to field unrecovered, knackered players who have had to play too many fucking games - yeah I am dreaming that Levy stumps up the wedge and fills this gaps.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Guess what? I didn't stay home - and now I'm barred from the shithole that I wasn't planning on going back to anyway, too many expat wankers for my liking. Standard stuff for me, I think Ive been barred from every local I have ever been into and it was a total fair cop, I would have barred me last night.
😂😂 did it involve a statue??

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
So this was a pen ,and the other one wasn’t .
The pen killed the game , as they sat back and knew we had little chance of breaking them down , and killed us with an Origi goal .
Absolutely gutted , but it’s not the worst period of my life , that was in 77 when we got relegated

Attachments

• 9081E5F7-EBB2-46C8-9C7C-F8A423F186FD.png
    9081E5F7-EBB2-46C8-9C7C-F8A423F186FD.png
    1 MB · Views: 184
  • 537CAB69-6B8D-4227-AB87-5C3810693BC3.png
    537CAB69-6B8D-4227-AB87-5C3810693BC3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 185
Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
This was another reason planted by LFC to take young Winksy attention away
The picture is too big to list so it’s my new avatar

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Not saying it doesn't have an impact but reading "30 degree heat" is pretty amusing.

Unfortunately the first goal allowed them to sit back and with none of our front half in good form against probably the best individual defender in the world right now (amongst a pretty good defence that is comfortable playing way higher and under more individual pressure),we just couldn't take advantage of the actual good chances we created later on in the game.

I get all the "we'll be back and better talk" and I don't feel all doom and gloom. However, this really feels like an opportunity missed because while I don't doubt that we can build a better team, it's incredibly hard to get to the final

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
OK that was a long weekend. So proud of the boys for such an amazing season, but that final was yuck. What a terrible match. We could have had another 90 mins and still might not have scored. That early peno did some kind of voodoo hex on everyone. We could've started Moura, changed formation, I don't know. Reality is we didn't play well and that's that. Hopefully we build off of this and don't waste this amazing run. It was a great ride though.

Last edited:
J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Not saying it doesn't have an impact but reading "30 degree heat" is pretty amusing.

Unfortunately the first goal allowed them to sit back and with none of our front half in good form against probably the best individual defender in the world right now (amongst a pretty good defence that is comfortable playing way higher and under more individual pressure),we just couldn't take advantage of the actual good chances we created later on in the game.

I get all the "we'll be back and better talk" and I don't feel all doom and gloom. However, this really feels like an opportunity missed because while I don't doubt that we can build a better team, it's incredibly hard to get to the final
Agree with all (especially the first point.) My kid's game at 9 in the morning the day of the final began in 30 degree heat, and it was on an artificial surface with that black rubber shit underneath..

One thing I'll say about the last bit is this--last year I remember saying, probably here, that if that Liverpool team (talking about last year's edition) could make it, we could as well. With some freshening up, we can do it again. I know what you mean, it certainly felt like a once in a lifetime thing, and there are reasons to think it may well be. But our style of play, like that of Liverpool, is sort of having a moment right now, and I can see us doing well in Europe again.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

30 degree heat is what you get in Madrid in June, if it was a surprise then someone needs to be sacked. 30 degree heat is feck all compared to last summer in Ingerlund. Our players are professional athletes and they're allowed to have a drink or two when it's not nippy, so I agree, whingeing about the weather is very amusing.

It is incredibly hard to get to the Champions League final, but it is a pice of piss getting to the League Cup final, but it seems that Poch has been listening to the arse wipes in the place that time forgot and isn't all that arsed about tinpot cups. It will be incredible if we get as far as we did in the CL next year, I hope we will, but as you say it's incredibly hard and very unlikely. We don't have the squad to compete seriously in 4 tournaments and I really don't think Levy will rectify that, so........ who the fuck knows?

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
A whole load of love between Spurs and Dipper fans developing after Saturday night, does that spread to this place...dives for cover!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
A whole load of love between Spurs and Dipper fans developing after Saturday night, does that spread to this place...dives for cover!!
No because there was a whole load of arrogant twats on many different occasions that kept telling us to enjoy our day out. Self entitled wankers.

There were some decent folk as well but you had to search for them.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
At least we miss out on the Uefa superduper cup and the Fifa world club friendlies championship.Add on to that charity shield week before the season and the superduper cup vs chelsea 4 days after the season opens in Turkey,then the Fifa mini tournament played in Qatar (OFC) in december,thats is a lot of extra fixtures and travelling during December one of the toughest months fixturewise.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
Had to change my avatar , again ,
How can a photo , as an uploaded file be considered too large ?

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'm still sulking. Gotta try to remember how proud I was in the Etihad and after the Ajax game it it's not easy.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I'm still sulking. Gotta try to remember how proud I was in the Etihad and after the Ajax game it it's not easy.
I know that feeling or used to know it,yes i dont like losing,yes it hurts but after +40 years of going,i tend to shrug my shoulders and get over it,back in the day a NLD would have me in a foul mood for weeks.Helps after 30 years of toss I try not to dream or think about winning stuff too seriously,actually I prefer going now,the day,the people,the craic,even watching at home,I enjoy the build up.
I cant tell you it gets easier,just it has become so for me.I no longer equate feeling so shite and fed up after a defeat to my level of love&support for the club.Some try&tell you they feel shit cos they care more,i try &spin that to showing it by supporting,encouraging even tf times are shit with the team.And they are not.

Better to be runners up,than lose in the semi-final to Ajax.Who cares if charlize theron dumps you and youre heartbroken,think that at least you got to shag her. Wise words to live by mate :)

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Man. What a shit result. Like I imagine everyone has already said, they were there for the taking and we couldn’t get the goal when necessary.
Can’t disagree with MP’s XI to be fair. Moura was a great spark plug as a sub. Kane wouldn’t have been good starting or as a sub, but it’s not like he wasn’t going to play.
The pen was ridiculous. It took the sting out of the loss, but what a load of shit.