By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Mentality...

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
So, historically we've been regarded as being bit flaky as a club/side. Nearly men while others go all out and achieve their goals.

Now the argument holds merit if you look at the last 5 years of on and off nearly achieving league and European glory.

We have as usual ended up with the cumulative total of fuck all for all of our efforts over that period.

What do we need to do from a practical point of view to change this though. It's easy to say start winning things, but it has to be bigger that that. That has to be the goal and not the journey surely.

We could have won the CL would it have changed things over night? Look at Leicester, they won the prem and fuck all has come of that. In fact they're worse than fucking ever.

There has to be more involved to installing that mental strength that helps you win accolades.

Is it the players? Do we need to ship in proven winners? Why would they come to us as perennial nearly men? If it was just the cash then you'd have to ask is that right? Splashing has certainly helped Citeh... and the dippers... and the Chavs. Maybe football has change so that this is the only option.... winning equals biggest summer spending?

Is it the club infrastructure? Well that's here now and we have the absolute best of the best. How long does that start to make a serious effect if that's the key? Look at the scum. They did it and it hasn't worked for them. Their fucking gash right now.

Is it the manager? Do we need to install a manager who wins stuff? Poch hasnt got a history of magnificent glory? Mourinhio, would he make a difference? Would Pep be able to propell us to the next level?

Is it us fans? Should we demand more? Should we as a collective be petitioning the club do do more? Do we expect too much? Do we not expect enough? Do we need to change from being happy with a decent cup side to not being happy if we dont have a season ending open top bus parade? Look at the dipper fans who are entitled to fuck...... they got what they want?

Is it just luck? Look at how unlucky we have been and how fucking lucky those dipper slags were last season. Do we need to make our own luck and roll the dice a bit more? How did they fucking do it? Why ain't we learning from it and installing those same methods ourselves?

Is it the owners? Are they holding us back and treating us like a cash cow? Are they seriously in it to win it? Do we need a Citeh style tax right off gazillionaire to give us all the shiny things we have ever dreamed of and simply buy our way to success? It may not sit comfy with us old fuckers, but the want it now kids of the future dont give a shit. That's their world. Capitalism rules.

Ultimately for me it seems like it could be any one or a number of those things combined that will give us the mental fortitude to push onto the next level and start filling our trophy cabinet. Its bare as fuck and while we have no divine right to win things I fucking want to, because it feels great!

That's where i think our biggest change this summer should be. Not the players, not the manager, not Levy but the mentality of the club to actually achieve something tangible. Not finish top 4. You dont have open top bus parades for top 4 or CL runners up.

What happened to aiming for the stars?

It seems like we've fallen into being comfortable with being able to see them from the ground and not ever striving to reach them.

I want our club to openly state its intentions to us fans. Were Spurs ans we have not come to make up the numbers. Were here to win shit and not in the future, right fucking now.

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Fair points,but this day and age its the competing with billions spent,both at home and barca/madrid in europe.Except leicesters fluke season,I think pretty much all domestic trophies have gone to the top 4 or 5.And whilst in Poch`s time we have finished above and beaten home&away arse,chelsea,city,united,(think we only drawn at anfield)but finished above them mostly the last decade,so my argument kind of falls flat with that analysis.I guess what I take from that is we can overcome 2,3 maybe 4 of the bigger spenders,but to do all 5 in the league and cups is still a hard task.I would say whilst infrastructure we are totally there versus any club,squad wise we are still off the pace.
Whilst mentally we have improved,perhaps we are still a bit fragile when it comes to big matches,semi`s and finals,but I think a few big players would resolve that.??

But then how do I explain the 2 wins away at city and ajax if we are fragile??We are getting there I guess,hopefully this year we arrive.

Reactions: Yid
C

corroded

Player in Training.
They say you've gotta lose one to win one.

We're sneaking our way onwards and upwards. We're building the base, we're paying the piper.

I consider getting to the final of the Champions League an improvement. With the right tweaks next season could be very good

We had horrendous luck last year with injuries, and got the job done

Reactions: Yid
Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Baby steps dude.. our rise to where we are has been pretty rapid. Remember, it took 20 years to remove Man Utds premier league dominance and that was only achieved by large cash investment.

The only way to win is to pay now

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Poch got it right with his 'We need to operate in a different way' speech.......the last 5 years has seen a huge transition for the club, from great pretenders to consistent CL and top of the PL contenders. Add the new Stadium and about 11 players who were in the World Cup semi-finals and you could say, we now have all the component parts in place and achieved the previous 5 year plan. So the next 5 year plan or project has to be to go to the next level, and there's only one step left which is winning stuff. In order to do that we need to add say 3-4 world class players and that means cash. So in short it's a case of will Levy step up and invest or are we going to be the new Arsenal (only slightly better obvs). Lets see.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
. So the next 5 year plan or project has to be to go to the next level, and there's only one step left which is winning stuff. In order to do that we need to add say 3-4 world class players and that means cash. So in short it's a case of will Levy step up and invest or are we going to be the new Arsenal (only slightly better obvs). Lets see.
Well Levy wanted the best for the training ground/lodge,best for the new stadium,but these are tangible cash value assets so a no brainer for investment return.Will he have the same desire for the best on the pitch as with property matters?thats the question,if he has the same OCD desire for detail and the best the team will be great,if he remembers paying shedloads for soldado,janssen,paulinio and blowing his wad,then this fear of losing money will be our downfall.
I really have no idea of the blokes desire to invest the same on the pitch as the infrastucture?but if he needs to,just look down the road and see what lack of decent players has cost woolwich the last 3 years,last year alone in europe we earnt about £80m more than them from prize money.If he is shortsighted about losing 10million on janssen etc etc then he needs to give his head a wobble,because you win big on dele,kane,and you will lose on others,there is no sure thing when you sign any player,look at PSG with mbappe and neymar,how well did they do in europe in any year??

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Pretty much nail on head, the playing part and players/managers part of football is not an exact science - as highlighted by your reference to Mbappe and Neymar below.
if he remembers paying shedloads for soldado,janssen,paulinio and blowing his wad,then this fear of losing money will be our downfall.
And also highlighted above, together with the magnificent from the Bale money, but we got Eriksen.
If he is shortsighted about losing 10million on janssen etc etc then he needs to give his head a wobble,because you win big on dele,kane,and you will lose on others,there is no sure thing when you sign any player,look at PSG with mbappe and neymar,how well did they do in europe in any year??
Levy has no option, if he believes in the next 5 years, other than to roll the dice. It's not even a full roll, because the downside of not winning anything is no worse than where we are right now, and it's unlikely players will lose much value.

Just get on with it.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Pretty much nail on head, the playing part and players/managers part of football is not an exact science - as highlighted by your reference to Mbappe and Neymar below.

And also highlighted above, together with the magnificent from the Bale money, but we got Eriksen.

Levy has no option, if he believes in the next 5 years, other than to roll the dice. It's not even a full roll, because the downside of not winning anything is no worse than where we are right now, and it's unlikely players will lose much value.

Just get on with it.
In his financial world though,it doesnt compute you buy for £30m and after 2 years he can only sell for £17m.That is my worry,its him only seeing the downside of some transactions.You are buying talent,its not bricks and mortar,it is inherently more risky.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
In his financial world though,it doesnt compute you buy for £30m and after 2 years he can only sell for £17m.That is my worry,its him only seeing the downside of some transactions.You are buying talent,its not bricks and mortar,it is inherently more risky.
He will understand that 'investments are risky and your investment can go down as well as up' ha ha ha

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He will understand that 'investments are risky and your investment can go down as well as up' ha ha ha
just tell him he will be covered by CPI claims in a few years time.

Were you sold something,not up to scratch,then call us and we will claim back any CPI (crap player investments),
T&Cs apply (excludes french wingers begininng with N)

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'd have to say that IF (note big if) the players coming in are consistent with the rumours then you'd have to say that Levy may be speculating to accumulate... We dont seem to be loosing anyone of huge importance (especially though the spine of the side) and are looking at getting some potential decent additions to swell the ranks and if anything bolster the spine.

Maybe this is the close season we kick on a bit due to the owners mentality changing, due to many of the other things already having been done over the last 5/10 years.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I really have no idea of the blokes desire to invest the same on the pitch as the infrastucture?but if he needs to,just look down the road and see what lack of decent players has cost woolwich the last 3 years,last year alone in europe we earnt about £80m more than them from prize money.If he is shortsighted about losing 10million on janssen etc etc then he needs to give his head a wobble,because you win big on dele,kane,and you will lose on others,there is no sure thing when you sign any player,look at PSG with mbappe and neymar,how well did they do in europe in any year??

This thread on AFC`s finances is exactly why we need to keep them in their place now.

example A.
However, this profit was driven by £120m from player sales, so #AFC actually made a hefty £42m operating loss in 2017/18 – a £94m decline from the previous season’s £52m operating profit. This was due to the “double whammy” of no Champions League and a surging wage bill. In fact, given that there were no major player sales in 2018/19 (only Perez, Campbell and Akpom),it is highly likely that #AFC will report a large loss before tax for last season – the first time the club will have slipped into the red since 2002.

#AFC were the only club in England’s Big Six to see revenue fall in 2018. In fact, their £38m growth since 2016 is miles lower than their main rivals, four of whom had revenue growth above £100m. Most painfully, in this time #THFC have closed the gap from £141m to just £10m.