By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
interested to hear what you guys think of Pierre.

I watch him a lot during games, and as much as I love the passion and commitment of the guy, I just feel he can be incredibly wasteful in possession, he also has a tendency when we’re trying to move the ball forward at pace, to pass the ball behind the player, therefore losing pace in the attack, as the receiver has to check back and momentum is lost.

As I said, I love him but I feel if we want to seriously challenge for honours, then we need an upgrade on him, he’d be great off the bench to shut a game down with 20 mins to go, or just to add some bite/energy in midfield when things aren’t going our way, or for rotational purposes but if we wanna challenge properly we need to be ruthless, probably not gonna happen but a nice idea.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
interested to hear what you guys think of Pierre.

I watch him a lot during games, and as much as I love the passion and commitment of the guy, I just feel he can be incredibly wasteful in possession, he also has a tendency when we’re trying to move the ball forward at pace, to pass the ball behind the player, therefore losing pace in the attack, as the receiver has to check back and momentum is lost.

As I said, I love him but I feel if we want to seriously challenge for honours, then we need an upgrade on him, he’d be great off the bench to shut a game down with 20 mins to go, or just to add some bite/energy in midfield when things aren’t going our way, or for rotational purposes but if we wanna challenge properly we need to be ruthless, probably not gonna happen but a nice idea.
Other than the wastefulness, I've noticed is that he wants to creep up the field when we're in possession--lots of times in the first half against Saints he was ahead of Dele and Winks, playing almost like a #10 position. He brings lots of energy, and IMO is one of the best in the PL at closing down passing lanes, but Skipp does the same thing, and is a better technical player. We're crying out for a proper playmaking MF.

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
I'm finding it hard to warm to him totally. Despite all the arm-waving and complaining at his teammates he seems strangely detached from it all. He's solid positionally, although once beaten he doesn't track back as hard as he could. He's slow on the ball, and he is way too conservative in his passing. But he'll do for now - I doubt we can pick up the new Eriksen in January to play alongside Skipp.

Anyway, hope he knocks in a hat-trick at Watford tomorrow.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
I'm finding it hard to warm to him totally. Despite all the arm-waving and complaining at his teammates he seems strangely detached from it all. He's solid positionally, although once beaten he doesn't track back as hard as he could. He's slow on the ball, and he is way too conservative in his passing. But he'll do for now - I doubt we can pick up the new Eriksen in January to play alongside Skipp.

Anyway, hope he knocks in a hat-trick at Watford tomorrow.
Yeah, agree here. Think for £15m he was a bargain but he's one of those players who's not brilliant at anything but ok at everything.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
but Skipp does the same thing, and is a better technical player. We're crying out for a proper playmaking MF.

Yup, spot on mate. We basically have a bunch of midfielders that pretty much do the same thing, with the exception of Tanguy, who personally is right up there as one of the most disappointing transfers in my life. So much ability but seems to have no interest in maximising that natural ability.

Oh to have a Modric in our line up. Definitely agree with Skipp, think he’s our best all round midfielder.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Yup, spot on mate. We basically have a bunch of midfielders that pretty much do the same thing, with the exception of Tanguy, who personally is right up there as one of the most disappointing transfers in my life. So much ability but seems to have no interest in maximising that natural ability.

Oh to have a Modric in our line up. Definitely agree with Skipp, think he’s our best all round midfielder.
Gilberto...

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

Yeah, Tanguy's not going to make it, which is sad. Another one that I guess we bought hoping to fill that role is GLC, but he's disappointed as well, and can't seem to stay healthy.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I like Hojberg wears his heart on his sleeve but he is limited as a footballer.

Can't believe I'm saying this but at this point in time is Skipp and Winksy worth a try??

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

Can't believe I'm saying this but at this point in time is Skipp and Winksy worth a try??
I think so, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see that pairing.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member

Skipp and Lo Celso or even Fat belly, PEH is having a terrible season.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
My preferred starting XI, considering the existing squad and all fit.
Hugo
Emerson, Sanchez, Romero, Dier, Reguilon
Skipp, Lo Celso
Lucas, Kane, Son

Looks a bit thin doesn't it. need an Experienced rock at the back - Virgil van Dyck type and someone to play with Skipp and link midfield and attack and someone to teach Emerson how to cross a ball. Then......maybe we're a top 4 side again and capable of winning a trophy? Maybe

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Midfield is no where near good enough, strong enough or diverse enough to win enough matches to justify being a top 4 side.

We will be lucky and have to rely on others not being good enough. The scum have more creative midfielders. Leicester have a way better midfield. Our saving grace is that up front we have 3 real gems and while H is yet to rocket and Son is a bit injured Lucas has started the season very very well. These guys just need better service and they will propell us to top 4 while the defence settles down and sorts itself out.

The fullback I am giving a by to at the moment despite his pathetic ability at crossing and his petulant play acting... he is fresh in that position and does work hard, all be it sometimes in the wrong areas.

I think Sanchez while vastly improved needs replacing, Dier also is not a top quality centre half and Tangagna seems well off the pace and to be honest has his head up his arse half the time I watch him... but again he is young so benefit of doubt given.

T

Tottenhamlad

Player in Training.
WTF has happened to this guy? He was our player of the season when Mourinho was in charge and now it’s looks like he can barely run.

Declining massively!

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
WTF has happened to this guy? He was our player of the season when Mourinho was in charge and now it’s looks like he can barely run.

Declining massively!
Personally, I think he's burnt out.

He's played every game, plus internationals, since we signed him and he's apparently only missed about 40 minutes when he went off injured early in the second half of one game.

I'm sure the various sports scientists all think he's fine, but I'd send him away for a solid month to rest and recuperate.

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
He was really good against Leicester, looked sharp, fit and full of ideas. But then he looked half the player against Chelsea. A rest might work, shame we don't have anyone to cover for him.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
Hearing reports we're considering offers for Hojberg with 2 years left on his contract. I like him. Never world class but always always gives his all. Think he was one of Jose's first signings and a bargain for £15m. Good solid pro imo...

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
he has moments of brilliance, but i do too in my pub league.

i appreciate his service, but he can go if the right offer comes in

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I genuinely like the lad, and out of all those I'd be more than content with him leaving last...

It's just we've got so may of his type of player, almost all with more "ceiling" than he has, and the 15/20 mill we get for him could go into paying harys wages for the next couple of year on his new deal.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I'm not sure about losing Hojberg to be honest. He runs through walls for the Danes so with a good man manager behind him we could see him back to his best.

Played more minutes than any other midfielder. Any other player actually apart from Kane I think so he was well utilised, and fuck knows what Bentancur will come back like. Injury could fuck him.

He's also one of the vocal ones in the dressing room apparently. Losing him and Lloris, maybe Kane we'd be left with fuck all leaders.

If he were to go definitely one of the last ones out and definitely with someone fit to take his position on bought first.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
I'm not sure about losing Hojberg to be honest. He runs through walls for the Danes so with a good man manager behind him we could see him back to his best.

Played more minutes than any other midfielder. Any other player actually apart from Kane I think so he was well utilised, and fuck knows what Bentancur will come back like. Injury could fuck him.

He's also one of the vocal ones in the dressing room apparently. Losing him and Lloris, maybe Kane we'd be left with fuck all leaders.

If he were to go definitely one of the last ones out and definitely with someone fit to take his position on bought first.
I agree. He shouldn't play every minute of every game. Probably shouldn't even start many of them, if any. But a great player to have around, and with an extra 5% because he's not knackered, he might be an important figure to close out games when we're leading, or settle them down when we're wobbling.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
From everything I'm reading, and the little bit of Celtic I saw this season, Postecoglu will certainly play 433 with one out-and-out holding midfielder. Hojbjerg is better than the current alternatives in that position.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I agree. He shouldn't play every minute of every game. Probably shouldn't even start many of them, if any. But a great player to have around, and with an extra 5% because he's not knackered, he might be an important figure to close out games when we're leading, or settle them down when we're wobbling.
The guys had a rough paper round to. Didn't realise he is only 27.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
From everything I'm reading, and the little bit of Celtic I saw this season, Postecoglu will certainly play 433 with one out-and-out holding midfielder. Hojbjerg is better than the current alternatives in that position.
It depends on who decides to play ro their potential... Hoijbergs potential is decent... Bisoumas and Bentancurs potential tial is way higher... Skipp, we don't yet know... like I said he is last to leave, but if those above can do what they can do... we don't need him and the money for him could buy a CB...? We 100% need one of those... although I don't understand why one or our wingbacks couldn't convert... i5s not rocket science...