By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Preferred starting XI and top 5 players you want gone

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Just interested to see what team you guys come up with and which players you've had enough of. This is based on everyone being fully fit and replacements in place for those you want gone.

Think my 1st choice side would be...

Lloris (just)
Aurier Toby Jan Sessegnon

NDom Sissoko

Lamela Alli Sonny

Kane

I really didn't want Aurier in there but what choice do we have at rb? I also think Jan's looked a little fragile this season but he's by far and away our best left sided cb.

Top 5 players i want gone are...
1. Aurier (Can't deal with his inconsistencies and the fact he can't actually defend doesn't help)
2. Wanyama (Complete waste of a squad space, a pale shadow of what he once was a few years back)
3. Eriksen (Hopefully he'll be gone in the Summer, despite the fact he's still our most creative midfielder, feel we need to move on)
4. Rose (Same as above, not the player he was, despite periods last year where he showed glimpses of his former self)
5 Dier (I know there's still a lot of love for this guy amongst the fan base but i'm not a fan anymore, and haven't been for a few years. In the most part, games just pass him by, especially against the better teams and given most teams now days have a very mobile midfield, i don't see him making much of an impact at the top level anymore and his passing drives me nuts)

KWP, was close to making the list coz he never seems to get a look in, so that says to me, he's just not good enough, and from what i hear Brighton may come in for him and Erik was close, only because he's got the physical fragility of a 2 year old.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
I would agree with most of what you said.

As an alternative to the 4-2-3-1, I would consider the 3-4-2-1.
Sess & Aurier are stronger as wingbacks so I would try to play to their strengths.
We were such a stronger side when we had the FB's bombing down the wings (Walker & Rose).

Sanchez - Toby - Jan

*Aurier - NDom - **Lamela - Sess

Dele - Son

Kane

* - Aurier
The risk here is that Aurier still has to help defensively.
It's a longer way back for him.

** - Lamela
The bizarre positioning of Lamela is not so much out of the blue for these reasons:
1. When fit, he's got an immense engine
2. He's got a ferocious appetite for pressing & tackling (a good ball winner)
3. He's a great ball-handler & retains it well
4. Great vision. Probably best on our team at picking out a pass
5. When fit, it is a shame to have him sitting on the bench.

Players Out
1. Wanyama
2. Eriksen - only if he truly wants to leave. If so, & he wants RM, trade him for Bale. Bale is not the player he was when he left but look at his experience & accomplishments. He'll want to play for us & help us win.
3. Dier - seems to have the right attitude on the field but he's not the player he was. He's also much less versatile than he was.
4. Rose - don't know where his head is at

There are others on the fringe but dependent on in-comings.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Bale wont want to come to a side drawing to fucking Norwich.... THE END.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
I would agree with most of what you said.

As an alternative to the 4-2-3-1, I would consider the 3-4-2-1.
Sess & Aurier are stronger as wingbacks so I would try to play to their strengths.
We were such a stronger side when we had the FB's bombing down the wings (Walker & Rose).

Sanchez - Toby - Jan

*Aurier - NDom - **Lamela - Sess

Dele - Son

Kane

* - Aurier
The risk here is that Aurier still has to help defensively.
It's a longer way back for him.

** - Lamela
The bizarre positioning of Lamela is not so much out of the blue for these reasons:
1. When fit, he's got an immense engine
2. He's got a ferocious appetite for pressing & tackling (a good ball winner)
3. He's a great ball-handler & retains it well
4. Great vision. Probably best on our team at picking out a pass
5. When fit, it is a shame to have him sitting on the bench.

Players Out
1. Wanyama
2. Eriksen - only if he truly wants to leave. If so, & he wants RM, trade him for Bale. Bale is not the player he was when he left but look at his experience & accomplishments. He'll want to play for us & help us win.
3. Dier - seems to have the right attitude on the field but he's not the player he was. He's also much less versatile than he was.
4. Rose - don't know where his head is at

There are others on the fringe but dependent on in-comings.

I always think we get overrun in the middle of the park when we play 3 at the back, remember a few games back in '17 i think, where we played 3 at the back and it worked really well but lately not so much. Yeah totally agree re Lamela, he's arguably our best all round midfielder, it's just trying to get him on the pitch more often.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Most importantly is Ndombele needs to morph into Dembele - only 2 letters different so that should be easy. If he can't be the new Moose, then we need to get someone who can. Still hope big Eric can recapture his form, we saw one game this season where he was immense. Danny probably needs to go, maybe he's been with us too long and needs a new challenge. Eriksen might as well go as we only get very brief cameos of the player he used to be. We might need Wanyama as a replacement for injured/suspended players and as he's not really featuring much it's not that important to get rid of him. I'd like to see Skip get more games and Parrot, the way we are playing at the moment the risk would be tiny and the potential huge.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I always think we get overrun in the middle of the park
This is a real problem,its fine to go all ossie and play Kane,Son,dele,moura,but how do we control a game to get them the ball??So far the answer is hoof it and hope for a hail mary pass or scraps to create from.Yes they come back and help out,but its square pegs in round holes then.The reason dependable players like dier,winks look so crap is partially because the option is pass it backwards and keep the ball or try and play with and another (for example) against four or five in the opponents midfield.Hard to dominate the ball when its 3 against 5 and four advanced players waiting for the ball,aurier in no mans land as a wing back,our centre backs constantly having to go wide right to cover exposing us even against a lone striker to one on ones through the middle.

Who would I get rid of? wanyama,KWP they dont play anyway,as for the others well eriksen if he is going may as well be next month and lets get on with life,same with danny if he cant get back on form and if he has any value left being crippled 50% of every season Lamela,not because of ability but his availabilty hurts us being out so much.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
This is a real problem,its fine to go all ossie and play Kane,Son,dele,moura,but how do we control a game to get them the ball??So far the answer is hoof it and hope for a hail mary pass or scraps to create from.Yes they come back and help out,but its square pegs in round holes then.The reason dependable players like dier,winks look so crap is partially because the option is pass it backwards and keep the ball or try and play with and another (for example) against four or five in the opponents midfield.Hard to dominate the ball when its 3 against 5 and four advanced players waiting for the ball,aurier in no mans land as a wing back,our centre backs constantly having to go wide right to cover exposing us even against a lone striker to one on ones through the middle.

Who would I get rid of? wanyama,KWP they dont play anyway,as for the others well eriksen if he is going may as well be next month and lets get on with life,same with danny if he cant get back on form and if he has any value left being crippled 50% of every season Lamela,not because of ability but his availabilty hurts us being out so much.

Yup, i’d love to see the attacking 3 play closer to the midfielders. I’ve noticed so often that when we have the ball in the middle, there are so few options for the midfielders to pass forward to, as there becomes such a large separation between the centre mids and the attacking mids, be good if the attacking mids could get a little closer therefore creating more options, rather than as soon as we get it into midfield, the attacking 3/4 players just bomb forward leaving very little in terms of options, hence why we’re passing from side to side and backwards so often.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Lloris (or better)
KWP Alderweireld Vertonghen Davies
NDombele, Sissoko
Son, Dele, Moura
Kane

but from that lot we need a quality right back, Verts is on his last legs, we need a left back as well because Rose has lost the plot. The front 6 are good by we need a world class replacement for a Eriksen and some serious coaching out of Maureen for NDombele, who everything crossed could be brilliant, if he wants to be.

I wouldnt mind a world class goal keeper either......do non volatile French footballers exist? I mean they won the World Cup after all.....

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
3 -4 -2 -1
Lloris
Sanchez Alderweireld Vert
Sissoko Winks Ndombele Davies
Dele Son
Kane

3 at the back, play Sissoko as a right wing back and have him bombing down the wing at every opportunity.
I'd bring in a keeper to really put Lloris under pressure because Gazz is just not up to scratch imo..
I'd bring in Madison from Leicester but if not, it's not an issue cos I just know Bale is coming!!!!!

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
3 -4 -2 -1
Lloris
Dele Son
Kane

3 at the back, play Sissoko as a right wing back and have him bombing down the wing at every opportunity.
I'd bring in a keeper to really put Lloris under pressure because Gazz is just not up to scratch imo..
I'd bring in Madison from Leicester but if not, it's not an issue cos I just know Bsle is coming!!!!!
I could actually see sissoko being a RB,has the legs to get up and down,doesnt dive in,good when goalside,just delivery of crosses to fix.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
3 -4 -2 -1
Lloris
Dele Son
Kane
But if Sissoko bombs forward at every opportunity--and why shouldn't he?--then Gentle Ben stays back to cover. We're now arrayed as a 4-3-3...with Sanchez as RB (!!!!)

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
I want

Gazza
Serge;Sanchez;Toby;Danny
NDom;HarryW
LamelaTheIndomidable;Delle;Sonny
HarryK

Any two of the midfield three have license to drop deep and release a FB and the Moose. FBs encouraged to forage. Play out from the back often enough to make a long bomb from Toby unpredictable.

And some fucking triangles in the midfield!!!! Enough of these plaudits for us having six attacking players on the field when they're arrayed around the penalty area for a circle jerk instead of movement and structure sparked to life with flashes of imagination.

Which is what Southampton and Norwich did to is, BTW.