By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Premier league 2018/19

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Well now we can afford to lose one and still hold our CL spot.

Let’s all laugh at the Arsenal.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Let's win them all. We'll still laugh at the Arsenal.

I almost hope they beat Chelsea in the Europa League final, and then crash out of the group stages. False dawns are what they do best.

Now that I'm dreaming, how about them in a group against, say, Schalke and Galatasaray, with Ozil and then Giroud starring for their new squads and putting the gooners to the sword?

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Flukey win for the dippers last night, I can't believe I'm dying this, but I hope City give Burnley a good old fashioned thumping tomorrow - I can't have the thought of the dippers being league champions living in my head.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
The Scum are playing with 10 against Leicester. Can’t see them holding on the way the game is being played. The Foxes are all over them.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Do do do shame about the Arsenal....

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Watching that Leicester v Arsenal game and having seen a fair bit of him recently, i'm becoming a real fan of James Maddison, just the sort of player that would be hugely beneficial as a squad player and maybe even pushing for a start, he ran Arsenal ragged.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Watching that Leicester v Arsenal game and having seen a fair bit of him recently, i'm becoming a real fan of James Maddison, just the sort of player that would be hugely beneficial as a squad player and maybe even pushing for a start, he ran Arsenal ragged.
He’s been on our radar for a while, may have even bid for him whilst he was at Norwich. Good player

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Right now with the goal line decision today and the one back in January there are about 40mm between Liverpool and Manchester City the PL title. That's a little shorter than the word "Manchester" in this sentence.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
He’s been on our radar for a while, may have even bid for him whilst he was at Norwich. Good player
That's my problem about us, these players that are supposedly on our radar but we don't end up getting for whatever reason and then when we decide we definitely want them, it'll cost us £30-40 mill instead of the £5-10 mill we could've originally got them for. Instead of spending £10-12 mill on Clinton N'Jie or N'Koudou, we could've bought Maddison or Brooks for the same amount, when they were at Norwich and Sheff Utd respectively.

Last edited:
TettenhallHotspur

TettenhallHotspur

Player in Training.
That's my problem about us, these players that are supposedly on our radar but we don't end up getting for whatever reason and then when we decide we definitely want them, it'll cost us £30-40 mill instead of the £5-10 mill we could've originally got them for. Instead of spending £10-12 mill on Clinton N'Jie or N'Koudou, we could've bought Maddison or Brooks for the same amount, when they were at Norwich and Sheff Utd respectively.
But you only hear about the ones that go on to prove to be good players. How many were 'on our radar' that have since faded away into obscurity?

That's the Wenger effect. Claiming to have been close to signing every world class player.

Having said that I do think you're right. At some point we've got to go for one of these as we can't wait until they've proven themselves because they're then beyond our means - or what Levy would have you believe we can afford anyway.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
But you only hear about the ones that go on to prove to be good players. How many were 'on our radar' that have since faded away into obscurity?

That's the Wenger effect. Claiming to have been close to signing every world class player.

Having said that I do think you're right. At some point we've got to go for one of these as we can't wait until they've proven themselves because they're then beyond our means - or what Levy would have you believe we can afford anyway.
Yeah, i'm only using those 2 players as they are players that we have or had supposedly been tracking, didn't know about Maddison until Don mentioned it. My point really, is that i'd rather pay £10 mill on a promising young championship player, than a couple of random wingers from ligue 1. To be honest Maddison looks a better passer of the ball than any of our first team, well certainly on current form, only really Eriksen supercedes him.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Fair comment, so should we sign Grealish then?

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Yet another fantastic set of results for us this weekend, can't believe we're still getting away with it but I'll take it!

TettenhallHotspur

TettenhallHotspur

Player in Training.
One win, guaranteed Champions League next season.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
for me,no.Currently he isnt get you into CL quality,let alone win it.We need some people ready now to move us on level when it comes to pivotal creative midfielder types.I wouldnt mind him if we signed a mata or modric type ready out the box for a couple of seasons types as well.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Not at the price they'll probably want for him now. Seem to remember £25 mill being mentioned when we were after him last Summer, which i thought was too much, but now they'll probably want £40 mill. There in lies the problem though, sometimes you just have to take a gamble on these young championship players, coz if you wait, then another pl team will come in for them and if they show any form for their new team, then their price goes up exponentially over a very short period of time,

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
for me,no.Currently he isnt get you into CL quality,let alone win it.We need some people ready now to move us on level when it comes to pivotal creative midfielder types.I wouldnt mind him if we signed a mata or modric type ready out the box for a couple of seasons types as well.
We’re between a rock and hard place right now I think. Clearly there are some positions that can be improved easily (based on performances this season) Right back for a start....but then Tripps was excellent at the World Cup. Centre back for next season?

Could we get Mata or Modric and Grealish? Where do find players that can make a difference that we can afford? Get Bale back for no money just wages? What impact does that have on the rest of the dressing room?

I don’t know enough about all of this and I don’t know the real story about who’s to blame for the lack of spending in the past 12-18 months. , So I trust Poch, to find and coach some future success, from somewhere. Whatever happens we need a restful Summer and some energy for next season, which could be a famous one for Spurs. I can feel it in my water....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Not at the price they'll probably want for him now. Seem to remember £25 mill being mentioned when we were after him last Summer, which i thought was too much, but now they'll probably want £40 mill. There in lies the problem though, sometimes you just have to take a gamble on these young championship players, coz if you wait, then another pl team will come in for them and if they show any form for their new team, then their price goes up exponentially over a very short period of time,
Thing is mostly they fade when signed,for every Dele Alli there is a mawson,zouma,lookman,maguire,,wan bissaka,chilwell,maddison have looked good but at a level with respect in lower level teams.And the price now of english youth,expensive,zaha 40-50m,cos he looked so good when he was at a bigger level club before?Cherry picking youth is a lottery especially if you need them to hit the ground running and impact immediately.If we lose eriksen and buy both grealish and maddison thats a helluva gamble if your neck will be on the line IMO.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
We’re between a rock and hard place right now I think. Clearly there are some positions that can be improved easily (based on performances this season) Right back for a start....but then Tripps was excellent at the World Cup. Centre back for next season?

Could we get Mata or Modric and Grealish? Where do find players that can make a difference that we can afford? Get Bale back for no money just wages? What impact does that have on the rest of the dressing room?

I don’t know enough about all of this and I don’t know the real story about who’s to blame for the lack of spending in the past 12-18 months. , So I trust Poch, to find and coach some future success, from somewhere. Whatever happens we need a restful Summer and some energy for next season, which could be a famous one for Spurs. I can feel it in my water....
You were right earlier,we arent far away,we arent kack but winning CL,or merely playing in it again next year,the type of creator we require is neither the players mentioned (grealish/maddison),dont ask me who but players who may be good in 2 or 3 years time are fine if someone is ahead in the queue,but lose eriksen and wait 2 years for them isnt moving forward.Sanchez and foyth had/have time with jan,toby,dier,davies able to fill in at CB,even if we lose toby.But a decent #10 costs as if he goes to spain Real Barca will find out,that money has to be invested to bring in more than villa or leicesters best player.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
This made me laugh, since Costa left, the Chavs have really nailed their striker signings!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
You were right earlier,we arent far away,we arent kack but winning CL,or merely playing in it again next year,the type of creator we require is neither the players mentioned (grealish/maddison),dont ask me who but players who may be good in 2 or 3 years time are fine if someone is ahead in the queue,but lose eriksen and wait 2 years for them isnt moving forward.Sanchez and foyth had/have time with jan,toby,dier,davies able to fill in at CB,even if we lose toby.But a decent #10 costs as if he goes to spain Real Barca will find out,that money has to be invested to bring in more than villa or leicesters best player.
In order to make that next step though, may mean selling to someone with unlimited funds and I hate the thought of that. We just become the latest version of Chelsea, City, PSG.

My perfect scenario is to do a United Fergie style - win with that we have and what we’ve coached with Poch. It took Fergie 6 years, let’s hope the breakthrough is next year, otherwise I fear Arsenal mark 2 and/or a sellout which I’m pretty sure is Levy’s plan.

Then we’re no better than the rest, just catching up from starting a few years behind. When that happens it’s time to go fishing.....

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Thing is mostly they fade when signed,for every Dele Alli there is a mawson,zouma,lookman,maguire,,wan bissaka,chilwell,maddison have looked good but at a level with respect in lower level teams.And the price now of english youth,expensive,zaha 40-50m,cos he looked so good when he was at a bigger level club before?Cherry picking youth is a lottery especially if you need them to hit the ground running and impact immediately.If we lose eriksen and buy both grealish and maddison thats a helluva gamble if your neck will be on the line IMO.
Agreed mate but it's a risk buying any player, unless you're prepared to splash out £40-50 mill on a player that's delivered for their club or clubs consistently over a period of 3-4 years. Look at our club record buys, Davinson has been good but he's not a starter, clearly one for the future, Lamela's spent more time injured than playing and when he is fit he's not a starter and Moussa has taken 3 years to find his form.

It's a really tough one, i guess you just hope that the scouts do their jobs properly and Poch is given the funds needed to get who we need, coz we are in desperate need of a squad overhaul.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
One win, guaranteed Champions League next season.
And that is what especially shits me about the loss on the weekend. We win that and we could then concentrate entirely on the CL and rest as many as possible for the League games knowing that the results wouldn't have been particularly important.

But it was lazy and it was dumb. The two remaining fixtures that we have are not gimmes. Bournemouth away is always a game and Everton are red hot right now.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Another huge chunk of luck for us this weekend. The only results that could have made the defeat to West Ham slightly less yucky would be a goon loss and a United/Chavs draw.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'd be happy to ship out Lamela as he's never fit anyway and bring in grealish for 30-40 mil. He will because hell of a player with a bit of poch's magic sprinkled over him.