By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

RIP Diego Maradona

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Just heard this on the news as well.

Sheer brilliance on the ball.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Sorry Glenn,but most skillful player I saw in a spurs shirt even if it was one game.Flawed genius as they tend to be.

1606323798565.jpeg

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Cue 'hand of God' jokes......

Troubled genius, as many of them are.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Cue 'hand of God' jokes......

Troubled genius, as many of them are.
You know me,that summer i was on a lads holiday to ibiza.I used to play and drink with a load of ICF wannabe,NF,EDL types (well they drank in the same bar).The reaction I got the night we arrived back and I walked in wearing an argy maradona 10 replica shirt was glorious,it was all I hoped for.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I remeber those days, all the firms had names and personalities.....wasn't there supposed to be some evil, one armed bloke in the shed? The ICF - West Ham's Inter City Firm, fancy being named after trains, wonder why they didn't pick Thomas the tank Engine and friends?? Not even sure we were called 'Yids' back then.

Think Maradona only played in that game as a favour to Ossie, he also used 'to room with' Poch - they're great friends.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I remeber those days, all the firms had names and personalities.....wasn't there supposed to be some evil, one armed bloke in the shed? The ICF - West Ham's Inter City Firm, fancy being named after trains, wonder why they didn't pick Thomas the tank Engine and friends?? Not even sure we were called 'Yids' back then.

Think Maradona only played in that game as a favour to Ossie, he also used 'to room with' Poch - they're great friends.
I have known 2 proper members of that lot,its not even the football,proper severe right wing lunatics.One was a supervisor of mine,my boss wanted me to give him a written warning once,I told him to fuck off!At an office xmas party held upstairs in a well known gypsy pub,he battered one in the toilets (downstairs),took on whole families back in the function room,nothing like an xmas party with 3 meat wagons of old bill turning up.The other one I knew was worse.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Strangely enough, I was reading about George Best when the news of Maradona's passing broke.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
'86 was the first World Cup I remember much about, and really the first one broadcast widely in this country. I remember that summer I was staying in a beach house with my extended family, who, like most Americans, hated football, and openly mocked me for loving it.

I was watching the England game when Maradona scored that goal (the second one),and I remember my late uncle saying "Jesus, look at that little guy! That's unbelievable." Such a genius even the cretins in my family could recognize it, though they knew fuck all. I also used to love it when the commentator on the Spanish-language Serie A broadcast over here would say "Diego Arrrrrrrrrrrmando Maradona" every time he'd touch the ball.

Like many people our age, I can't say I was a massive fan of the Argentina team or even Maradona himself, but I've never seen a player like him since.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I think that was after he'd had his leg broken by the Goicochea, the "Butcher of Bilbao" the previous year. There's another version of that showing him getting kicked up in the air throughout the game. That's another thing about him--I've never seen a player fouled so often, and so hard. The anecdote making the rounds now is about the Cameroon players in tears in the tunnel before the Italia 90 opener, because they couldn't believe they were about to play against him. Then they absolutely kicked the shit out of him for 90 minutes😂

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I think that was after he'd had his leg broken by the Goicochea, the "Butcher of Bilbao" the previous year. There's another version of that showing him getting kicked up in the air throughout the game. That's another thing about him--I've never seen a player fouled so often, and so hard. The anecdote making the rounds now is about the Cameroon players in tears in the tunnel before the Italia 90 opener, because they couldn't believe they were about to play against him. Then they absolutely kicked the shit out of him for 90 minutes😂
Barca early 80s were animals,and yeah he was a tough little bastard.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I’ll be honest - I’m sorry he’s dead and clearly a genius footballer, but I had no respect for him.
I blame shilton more,being out jumped by a 5",5´ midget. We dont mind if people shithouse or cheat and it goes our way,no one in england gives a shit about a certain russian linesman or if lamela stamps on fabregas``hand,would we have returned a world cup if it had been lineker?Yes he was a nutter,but football is/was better with players like he..

How he and Best performed so well on alcohol,drugs,orgies,up all night....god knows I tried it.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
[QUOTE="skiathospurs, post: 49606, member:

How he and Best performed so well on alcohol,drugs,orgies,up all night....god knows I tried it.
[/QUOTE]
Well a couple of lines in the bogs 30 mins prior probably helped!!

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid

And then Cameroon beat them 1-0 with 9 men. Maradona was about 5kg overweight and pretty much a football mortal by 1990.

I remember watching that game like it was yesterday. Both Maradona and Caniggia were butchered like nothing I have seen since. This Benjamin Massing challenge was pretty much par for the course. And he only got his man because a few others missed first.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I’ll be honest - I’m sorry he’s dead and clearly a genius footballer, but I had no respect for him.

I kind of agree.

The "hand of God" nonsense aside, the guy was a drug cheat and a lunatic.

Great player and all but hardly a role model (not that I think footballers need to be).