By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

RIP Greavsie

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy

One of the best to ever do it. Our lot better put on a fucking performance later against the Chavs in his memory.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Sad news. I was lucky enough to have seen the great man play at the Lane many times, in fact if I remember correctly, which I probably don't , Greavsie and Alan Mullery both scored in the very first game I went to back in 1964 - which of course led to me being TTID! Jimmy scored of course, he usually did back in those days, someone else scored and we beat whoever it was we were playing, it might have been Villa, it might not, by one or more goals, I can't remember where I put my fucking slippers let alone what happened 57 years ago!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Greavsie quotes:

“The biggest regret of my whole football career was leaving White Hart Lane in 1970.....my interest in football weakened after that. I was heartbroken”

“Portsmouth are at Huddersfield, which is always away”

On Tommy Smith: “As we went out on the pitch, he handed me a piece of paper. It was the evening menu for the Liverpool Royal Infirmary.”

Management: “I didn’t really see my career in football after I retired. If I’d have known you could get millions for being absolutely crap and getting the sack, I’d have been in like a shot.”

“Back then, unless you took a machete out on the pitch, you wouldn’t get booked.”

“All I know is that the years from ’74 to ’78 were lost to me.”
Only four years? The whole decade has been wiped from my brain, Jimmy even stopped drinking for good in 1978!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I remember, back in the olden days, idiot son number two asking me what 'that old bloke' knew about football while we were watching Saint & Greavsie. I didn't kill him, I should get a medal for self-restraint.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I didn't know that Ian Saint John also died this year, so both Saint & Greavsie are gone, I used to love that show!

sandg.jpg

All these people dying makes me feel old.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Spurs legend. Had some tough times but he has a mythological standing in my mind, since I never saw him play. Probably one of England's best ever. RIP.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Our best ever player? RIP

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Our best ever player? RIP
Hmm. Dunno about that, I suppose it depends on how you define 'best'. Best goal-scorer without doubt, but Steve Perryman, Michael Dawson, Ledley King, Pat Jennings, Martin Chivers, Goddle, Dave Mackay and many more could also be called the 'best' and I would not be able to pick a best player - Steve P would be the one I would normally go for, but there have been so many great players. It was really nice to see the lineup of legends paying their respects before the game yesterday.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Hmm. Dunno about that, I suppose it depends on how you define 'best'. Best goal-scorer without doubt, but Steve Perryman, Michael Dawson, Ledley King, Pat Jennings, Martin Chivers, Goddle, Dave Mackay and many more could also be called the 'best' and I would not be able to pick a best player - Steve P would be the one I would normally go for, but there have been so many great players. It was really nice to see the lineup of legends paying their respects before the game yesterday.
Yes and we probably had some good'uns back in the 20's and 30's as well. Jennings -best goalkeeper probably, Perryman best club man, Mackay, best hard man, Hoddle, best creative player, Ledley best defender, Greaves best striker, Nicholson best manager

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Yes and we probably had some good'uns back in the 20's and 30's as well. Jennings -best goalkeeper probably, Perryman best club man, Mackay, best hard man, Hoddle, best creative player, Ledley best defender, Greaves best striker, Nicholson best manager
It's a fucker getting old, but if I wasn't old I wouldn't have had the privilege of seeing all the blokes on those lists at the Lane.