By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

So you're Pochettino...what do you do next?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
You're the boss.....things since the Man City game aren't really clicking into place and the team look a bit lethargic compared with most of the vibrant football of last season. What do you before Arsenal and going forward to Christmas?

For me and without Harry and Toby at present i would play the preferred 4-2-3-1 of last year and this would be my strongest team:
Lloris
Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose
Wanyama, Dembele
Lamela/Son, Dele, Eriksen
Janssen

This also gives us Son, Sissoko, GKN, Winks, etc on the bench.

Son in spite of his goals is not an out and out striker, so play him in his preferred position and have Janssen up front until Harry is back.

Stop with putting pressure on the defenders from ever back pass or goal kick, against good teams that press high - Liverpool, Leverkusen etc. it's not necessary and it's dangerous. It's not ugly football and doesn't retain possession any better, to clear your lines sensibly sometimes.

Based on last night we need to improve the speed and accuracy of our passing.

Finally we play some great stuff up to the final third, when things slow down and we pass sideways in front of the opposition defence, trying to create the perfect opening. I would like to see a bit more quick thinking, quicker passes Walker and Rose trying to get beyond their full backs and turning defences around. Harry when he's fit will also drift wide and pull defences with him, opening space for others and creating chances for himself, like the goal he scored against Arsenal at WHL last season.

Poch sounded very angry in his interview last night. I think he will transmit this to the players and I hope and expect a better performance on Sunday. For the moment I simply don't know why with the exception of the City game, we look like we're running in treacle and only about 85% committed.

I'm sure it will all come good and we're a long way from being a poor team maybe just in a bit of a rut and a bit stale at present - the problem is all of our expectations have gone up a notch.....top of the league, Champions League football etc.

What do you think?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
My half time team talk would have been this,& then I would have walked behind sissoko.......

A few weeks ago they may have got away with the Al Pacino "any given sunday" speech but,now,fuck me
batter up......

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Shooting practice, triple sessions

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I still prefer Dier to Wanyama at the DM position. Even though Dier's made some errors with the ball, Wanyama gets caught out of position too often for me right now. And I prefer Wimmer to Dier at CB. So my XI would look like this:

Walker--Wimmer---Jan---Rose

Dier--Dembele

Lamela--Dele--Eriksen

Janssen (with Kane of course on the way back)

Agree 100% about the playing from the back under pressure, whatever rewards there are for it don't make it worth the risk. I love Kyle Walker but he's not Jordi Alba. We need to be more pragmatic about it, because it played right into Leverkusen's hands (and the dippers in the league cup as well). You play out of pressure, not into it.

I also get the feeling Winks is about to get a serious look in the squad, maybe at Eriksen's expense.

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
I wouldn't have eriksen in at all he's been fucking terrible bar two or so games this season.the problem is we're still missing a player to link midfield to attack,maybe sonny there but he will link by dribbling more than passing.i just pray Harry's back for Sunday he does all that plus scores goals

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I'm going down the pub because as I am the young fire Pochechino I don't have alcohol drinking restrictions placed on me, I am going to get really, really pissed then I am going round Arsene Wenger's house and I am going to swear at him in Portuguese, because I am the Poch and I can speak that language, I will make very rude European style gestures at him then take a dump on his doorstep. Then I will go back to the Spurs training ground and tell the overpaid pansies that they are cunts and if they humiliate me on Sunday like they did last night then I will be handing in a letter of resignation to Levy and see how the fuckers get on with LVG or some cunt like that.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
I still prefer Dier to Wanyama at the DM position. Even though Dier's made some errors with the ball, Wanyama gets caught out of position too often for me right now. And I prefer Wimmer to Dier at CB. So my XI would look like this:

Walker--Wimmer---Jan---Rose

Dier--Dembele

Lamela--Dele--Eriksen

Janssen (with Kane of course on the way back)

Agree 100% about the playing from the back under pressure, whatever rewards there are for it don't make it worth the risk. I love Kyle Walker but he's not Jordi Alba. We need to be more pragmatic about it, because it played right into Leverkusen's hands (and the dippers in the league cup as well). You play out of pressure, not into it.

I also get the feeling Winks is about to get a serious look in the squad, maybe at Eriksen's expense.
That's the line up I'd go with to be honest. I'm a big fan of Walker but I'd go with Trippier. Too often we get down the flank and instead of throwing a cross in it comes back to the middle, all too slow for me. Trippiers natural game when he gets there is to cross the ball and he's reet and good at it. Lets test these fookers out. Switch Lamela and Eriksen and I reckon Lamela would get on the end of a few along with Janssen. I'd go back to type and play Wimmer, he did fook all wrong when he got his chance last year.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Get angry and drop the non performers for these hungry kids.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Get angry and drop the non performers for these hungry kids.
We've already seen that he's not afraid to do that, and that's why I think we may see Winks sooner than later. Either way, Harry can't come back soon enough, that's the key for me no matter who else is out there.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I wouldn't be to hasty going into the Arsenal game. That always breathes a bit of fire into the lads.

In general though work needs to be done on Hugo's distribution. It's borderline embarrassing on occasion especially when aiming out to the wings which is where most of our progress is made by the full backs.

Eriksens corners are still desperate. I can't wrap my head around how they can be so inconsistent.

We need to work on attacking quickly. We push forward like a rugby team. To scared to lose the ball attempting quick forward passes. We need to skip a player here or there when switching the ball aswell alot of the time it goes through 4 players where 2 was enough.

Bar that I'd like to see N'Koudou get a game to add some direct pace to our game.

Think this Arsenal game will be season defining for us though especially with Harry likely on the bench!!

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
I'd imagine that after Thursday's training sessions and a "little chat" with Mr Pochettino, the team will be regretting their awful display in CL.

As for the previous 3 draws in the league, I'm less concerned about them, at this stage but Eriksen, Alli and Lamela need to start contributing goals.

Sunday may be Winks opportunity to start.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Gives them the biggest bollocking he's ever given them, let them know that these new contracts they've all been given have to be earned and that the kind of display on Wednesday is unacceptable. Giving some younger players a chance might not be a bad shout as the top boys aren't performing and it'll give the youth some hope and the first teamers a kick up the arse. Other than that I don't know what to do. I would actually play full strength against the goons as all players should be up for that one but any lacklustre performances and the youngsters will be playing the poor performers position V West Ham for me.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Why does anything need to be done? OK, we had a couple of crappy cup results away from home, yep, Wembley ain't home in may opinion. So fucking what?

We have drawn our last 3 PL games - ALL of which we should have and could have won on another day. If anyone thinks it was our shiteness not Fosters brilliance that caused the draw against the baggies then one of us is in the wrong forum. The same applies though maybe not as strongly to the Leicester game and Bournemouth were on a fucking roll and we still outplayed them and were unlucky. IF we had a little bit of good fortune in those 3 games and had scored the single goal in each we more than deserved then we would be 3 points clear at the top of the Premiership and folks would not be asking these sort of questions.

There is no crisis, prejudging the next 3 big PL games is futile, we are all proper Spurs supporters here and support the Poch because of what he has and is achieving, luckily there are no numpties here who expect us to win every game,

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
....So we all saw what Poch did next, and with some great effect, well done Poch. Now he must be hoping that this International break does us some good, unlike the last one which took the wind out of our sails a bit after the Man City game. Assuming some of our injured get better and we don't pick up any more in the series of games coming up...what does he do for West Ham at home, I'm assuming they now won't know what formation he is going to play.

I'm not the Pochmeister and he will have one of several plans....for clearly anyone watching must now realise he has many.....I'm guessing however they will all include Kane and if he wants Janssen possibly as well. Mousa has to be the midfield maestro from now on, ably supported by Wanyama and/or Dier, I hope he has a real choice between Eriksen,Son,Dele and Lamela and whatever he does, I'd love to beat this lot by 3 or 4 and get our goals for ticking along as per last season.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
I remember a few saying way back when Pochettino joined us that they were concerned about his lack versatility regarding formations/tactics etc. I'm not afraid to admit I didn't see see that coming on Sunday. Still maintain we've a top top coach at the helm. I thought Sundays performance was as much to do with Pochettino as it was the players if you get my drift!!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I remember a few saying way back when Pochettino joined us that they were concerned about his lack versatility regarding formations/tactics etc. I'm not afraid to admit I didn't see see that coming on Sunday. Still maintain we've a top top coach at the helm. I thought Sundays performance was as much to do with Pochettino as it was the players if you get my drift!!
Mate regardless of tactics,his work ethic will make him and his teams succeed in this period.If he stays hungry and as focused as the last 2½ years he is going to be a .superstar manager.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Mate regardless of tactics,his work ethic will make him and his teams succeed in this period.If he stays hungry and as focused as the last 2½ years he is going to be a .superstar manager.
Yeh. He doesn't strike me as the sort who will go chasing the dollar or anything like that. He def seems to have a great attitude about what he does and has completely transformed us on the pitch. If he genuinely wants to build something we are a great fit for each other. Wouldn't surprise me if we are the only club he will ever coach in England.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeh. He doesn't strike me as the sort who will go chasing the dollar or anything like that. He def seems to have a great attitude about what he does and has completely transformed us on the pitch. If he genuinely wants to build something we are a great fit for each other. Wouldn't surprise me if we are the only club he will ever coach in England.
At the greaves bash last year Stevie Perryman said "I dont know Pochettino,but ossie does,Bill Nic was 1st in,in the morning and you could see his office light still on in the evening,Pochettino is the same & the nearest to Bill Nic we could get" These people are no mugs,but still I defer to the great & good knowledgeable keyboard warriors elsewhere..;)

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
His wife might have an influence on his decision making long term....wives sort of do that don't they!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The thing that strikes me a bit at the moment is why are we playing a slightly different formation this year? We hear that there is a lot more to come and we're playing at about 80% (think of your own number) but it's December now, most players are fully fit and will have comfortably settled into the season. So why has Poch changed from his arguably more free flowing 4-2-3-1 style to more of a 3-5-2 with wide attacking full backs? I mean it's clearly working OK now, did it just take a bit of time? Was he forced into it with Toby's injury?

This time last year after 17 games we had 29 points, had scored 28 goals and let in 14. Now we have 33 points, scored 29 goals and only let in 12......

Should Poch change back to his 4-2-3-1, or stay as we are? Bring back the Dier/Dembele combo in midfield? Poch seems to have coped with the injuries remarkably well all things considered...

so if there is more to come and we are currently playing at about 80%, then the stats tell us things are very rosy indeed....despite what you might hear eh?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The thing that strikes me a bit at the moment is why are we playing a slightly different formation this year? We hear that there is a lot more to come and we're playing at about 80% (think of your own number) but it's December now, most players are fully fit and will have comfortably settled into the season. So why has Poch changed from his arguably more free flowing 4-2-3-1 style to more of a 3-5-2 with wide attacking full backs? I mean it's clearly working OK now, did it just take a bit of time? Was he forced into it with Toby's injury?

This time last year after 17 games we had 29 points, had scored 28 goals and let in 14. Now we have 33 points, scored 29 goals and only let in 12......

Should Poch change back to his 4-2-3-1, or stay as we are? Bring back the Dier/Dembele combo in midfield? Poch seems to have coped with the injuries remarkably well all things considered...

so if there is more to come and we are currently playing at about 80%, then the stats tell us things are very rosy indeed....despite what you might hear eh?
I think we needed to avoid predictability,stop Kane and you probably stop us scoring or scoring two or three,in recent times bar mason and alli not a lot of our MF get beyond the striker regularily.Having options in formation will def help stop staleness and the ability of teams to park up against us.Very much like the 3 at the back,suits our personnel as we have 3 very good CBs and the best two offensive fullbacks in the world?
If Son and Alli click and up their games to their abilities,with lamela back and eriksen now back inform,we can suit formations to opposition and tactics.Its really a good time for us,dont pundits always say when you dont play well and get results its a sign?Thats our season so far,no need for any arsenaltv fan implosions atm at WHL

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

The numpties will tell you that winning by one goal does not count, like when Townsend was converting penalties but doing it all wrong and conceding any goals is unacceptable.

Hopefully we have weathered the injury storm, when Toby is fully fit and returns to our first team we have the most awesome (used NOT in the american style of 'wow this Latte is awesome', more in the correct way, like awe inspiring) defence. Rose and Walker are the very bollocks of the dog and Jan and Toby are its other 2 bollocks. How can anybody beat us when we have a dog with four bollocks? Then we have Trippier and Davies who provide another pair of swinging doodahs - six bollocks on our defensive dog! Wimmer! That makes 7.

Despite all the problems and, in my opinion, our most important player have been out of action for a long time, Toby, we are doing better than we did last season - which was our best ever in the PL, what is not to like? How the fuck can any Spurs fan not be optimistic? Yeah, so what the chavs are looking like they are going to win the title, no fucks given about them, we will win it in a year or two and hopefully hold onto a top position not yoyo about like those cunts and the current chumpions Leicester.

We know that Kane and Son can score loads, I still presume Janssen can also provide goals, Christian is almost back to his magnificent best, Dier will be beastly( in a good way) when he gets back to his central position. Dele will provide the flair and outrageous stuff we all love. Wanyama and Sissoko are monsters and can deal with little whingeing girls like Costa. Lamella who is improving all the time will be back soon and Harry Winks is so fucking good considering his age and inexperience, he looks like he has been bossing the PL for yonks!

Fucking blimey, get your shades ready, the next few months could be dazzlingly shiney.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The numpties will tell you that winning by one goal does not count, like when Townsend was converting penalties but doing it all wrong and conceding any goals is unacceptable.

Hopefully we have weathered the injury storm, when Toby is fully fit and returns to our first team we have the most awesome (used NOT in the american style of 'wow this Latte is awesome', more in the correct way, like awe inspiring) defence. Rose and Walker are the very bollocks of the dog and Jan and Toby are its other 2 bollocks. How can anybody beat us when we have a dog with four bollocks? Then we have Trippier and Davies who provide another pair of swinging doodahs - six bollocks on our defensive dog! Wimmer! That makes 7.

Despite all the problems and, in my opinion, our most important player have been out of action for a long time, Toby, we are doing better than we did last season - which was our best ever in the PL, what is not to like? How the fuck can any Spurs fan not be optimistic? Yeah, so what the chavs are looking like they are going to win the title, no fucks given about them, we will win it in a year or two and hopefully hold onto a top position not yoyo about like those cunts and the current chumpions Leicester.

We know that Kane and Son can score loads, I still presume Janssen can also provide goals, Christian is almost back to his magnificent best, Dier will be beastly( in a good way) when he gets back to his central position. Dele will provide the flair and outrageous stuff we all love. Wanyama and Sissoko are monsters and can deal with little whingeing girls like Costa. Lamella who is improving all the time will be back soon and Harry Winks is so fucking good considering his age and inexperience, he looks like he has been bossing the PL for yonks!

Fucking blimey, get your shades ready, the next few months could be dazzlingly shiney.
Tottenham Hotspur - the Awesome Dog with 7 bollocks and a very long tongue.....Brilliant.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member

Strangely I actually see this as almost the opposite way round. Last season although the likes of a pre match layout of our team would show us as a 4231 in my opinion in play we usually had the full backs forward with dier dropping central pushing Toby and vert wider. 2 reasons it didn't seem so obvious were our fullbacks wernt attacking as aggressively and, well know one really was talking about 3 at the back until pep and the geezer from Chelsea turned up.

I think while we continue with Dembele and wanyama we look a lot more like an actual 4231 as neither of those lads tuck right into defense.

I said in another thread I much prefer the formation with dier rather than wanyama so i do hope we turn back to that once Toby is fully fit.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Get steaming pissed on expensive brandy and bang my supermodel wife trying to break her hip...

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
So you're flying high, 2nd in the league, playing brilliant football and scoring a shed load of goals....then one of your key centre-backs gets a nasty injury.......what do you do? You're playing Man City away this coming weekend and Liverpool away in a month....

It's clearly a toss up between Ben Davies and Kevin Wimmer....I don't know if Wimmer was on the bench on Saturday but Davies was preferred. Big Kev played last time this happened and looked solid alongside Toby and Danny, but in a back 4...so do we revert to that whilst Jan is injured. Wimmer also played well (despite his OG) in a back 3 against Arsenal recently. Ben plays centre back for Wales and has done for us, as well as left back, so it's a nice problem to have in terms of decent back up for Jan.

I think I'd go with Wimmer in a back 3 and see if we are good enough to stand up to Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Aguero etc. which won't be easy. If we look vulnerable revert to a back 4, still with Wimmer?

Poch will have a plan.....

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
So you're flying high, 2nd in the league, playing brilliant football and scoring a shed load of goals....then one of your key centre-backs gets a nasty injury.......what do you do? You're playing Man City away this coming weekend and Liverpool away in a month....

It's clearly a toss up between Ben Davies and Kevin Wimmer....I don't know if Wimmer was on the bench on Saturday but Davies was preferred. Big Kev played last time this happened and looked solid alongside Toby and Danny, but in a back 4...so do we revert to that whilst Jan is injured. Wimmer also played well (despite his OG) in a back 3 against Arsenal recently. Ben plays centre back for Wales and has done for us, as well as left back, so it's a nice problem to have in terms of decent back up for Jan.

I think I'd go with Wimmer in a back 3 and see if we are good enough to stand up to Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Aguero etc. which won't be easy. If we look vulnerable revert to a back 4, still with Wimmer?

Poch will have a plan.....

Wimmer was not on the bench but I would guess that's more to do with Davies being able to cover both LB and CB.

Both are good cover, Davies having played for Wales in a 3 man CB defence and Wimmer with his seamlessly fitting in to the team last season performances.

For this one, I would guess Wimmer will get the nod.

My main concerns is mostly for Vertonghan's welfare as his reaction was rather concerning, hopefully things won't be to bad on the injury front.

2nd concern is that it does put pressure when rotating for the FA cup and Europa. It may be the case that we may have to balance the 3-4-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 formations a bit to compensate.

Last edited:
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Wimmer was not on the bench but I would guess that's more to do with Davies bro f able to cover both LB and CB.

Both are good cover, Davies having played for Wales in a 3 man CB defence and Wimmer with his seamlessly fitting in to the team last season performances.

For this one, I would guess Wimmer will get the nod.

My main concerns is mostly for Vertonghan's welfare as his reaction was rather concerning, hopefully things won't be to bad on the injury front.

2nd concern is that it does put pressure when rotating for the FA cup and Europa. It may be the case that we may have to balance the 3-4-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 formations a bit to compensate.
I agree and we can rotate Wimmer and Davies!!