By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

The ‘Yid’ word....

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
There is an article in the Telegraph Sport today discussing the use of the Yid word, in light of Chelsea fans taunts in Budapest earlier this week. In short the article is written by Joe Jacobson a Jewish defender with Wycombe Wanderers. He thinks the only way of eradicating the word from the terraces at football grounds is for Spurs fans to stop using the word in their songs - albeit in a positive reinforcing style.

Is it time to stop calling ourselves Yids and singing about how proud we are of being associated with the word for the potential better good?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
There is an article in the Telegraph Sport today discussing the use of the Yid word, in light of Chelsea fans taunts in Budapest earlier this week. In short the article is written by Joe Jacobson a Jewish defender with Wycombe Wanderers. He thinks the only way of eradicating the word from the terraces at football grounds is for Spurs fans to stop using the word in their songs - albeit in a positive reinforcing style.

Is it time to stop calling ourselves Yids and singing about how proud we are of being associated with the word for the potential better good?
Yeah.... it probably is. Let's face it if the fans dont fo this themselves then the THFC corporation will take action to stop it.

Look I'm not Jewish, but I do appreciate the history behind where the club came from. I dont know if I should sing songs with the word in it or not. I suppose it's the same as when I listen to my 80' and 90's gangster rap and convince myself I and Dre or Eazy E... and N word this and that to my hearts content... I dont actually care if people hear me because there are no connertations in what I am saying, I am not a racist, I'm not an antisemite but I sing these songs because... They are songs.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
It’s a difficult one because it’s one of those cases of Jews being allowed to use the word, in the same way that other derogatory terms can be ‘owned’ by those who are targeted. I think that would be our defence although I can see why a complete ban would help. I wonder what our Jewish support think?

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
It is difficult, especially because the unpleasant chaps that support teams like West Ham, Chelsea and other nasty horrible teams will never stop using it in a derogatory way. I can't say I'm that arsed about using the word myself, but it does take the sting out of those frightful buggers shouting "You're a Yid" at yo when you can just smile and say 'Yep". I doubt if they really understand what they're saying and is Yid really offensive? I don't think so, it's just short for Yiddish and like most of these offensive words, it's not the word itself but the intent behind it. We call each other cunts here, most of the time it's good natured, so nobody would get umpty about it, but sometimes I call a cunt a cunt and I mean it too be really offensive. Context.