By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

The Future!

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
So I was wondering what everyone's expectations are for the future?

It's very easy right now, to throw out the line that we're nowhere near the level in terms of revenue than our top 6 competitors and correctly, we are lagging a long way behind in terms of annual turnover and players wages...

Annual turnover for the top 6

1st Utd £515.3m
2nd City £392.6m
3rd Arse £350.4m
4th Chavs £334.6m
5th Dippers £302m
6th Spurs £209.2m

Annual Wages

1st Chavs £217m
2nd Utd £204m
3rd City £194m
4th Arse £192m
5th Liverpool £167m
6th Spurs £107m

Clearly on the financial front we're massively overachieving but does that mean we just continue using that as a reason to be the perennial bridesmaids, or at some point do we have to be ruthless and realise that we have the most talented XI in the league and with a couple of clever additions in the Summer, we have to start making that potential count with some silverware.

We have thru some brilliant recruitment got a fantastic team, in spite of not having the money to throw at anyone we want, like others do, so this group of players will have to win something, for me anyway in the next few years, otherwise I'm guessing the heart of the team will be ripped out by the bigger sharks circling around us. So I guess ultimately my question is, do we sit there feeling sorry for ourselves because we can't compete financially and saying that we've overachieved and that is the reason it hasn't worked out for us, or is there pressure on this group of players to win something due to the incredible potential we have at the club right now?

Next season is massive for us, of course there'll be massive amounts of money spent on recruitment by our rivals but also there's a chance of some of them losing their best players, the Chavs may lose Costa to China and Hazard to Madrid, Dippers, Coutinho to Barca. I can't see anyone leaving us, other than maybe Kyle, so we would kickoff next season with a team that's played together for a third season in a row and being trophy less over the next few years would be a crime for this group, we need to add something tangible to the potential, otherwise we might have to start the project all over again.

Basically has very clever recruitment negated our argument that we don't have the finances to compete and that we should start winning things?!

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I dont see us rising in the turnover?wages league from 6th place this year,but I do expect our wage bill to close on the others to keep the squad together.
All the transfer speculation and vultures circling,we sold Carrick and improved,we sold modric and improved,we sold berbatov and improved,guess what we sold Bale and in the long run we have improved.Now I am not saying with them individually in the team wouldnt be better,but like saints its about culture and ethos,we dont sell that,and whoever leaves we will be fine.We are good at buying mid price and development recently,its only when we blow out on suppossed proven players for big money we actually dont improve.So no mega signings is fine by me,personally I d take Barkley over zaha from potential and personality that I see,but OFC Poch knows best.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Looking at the last two seasons it would appear that neither gross turnover or players wages is a barometer for success....although prior to that it was a decent indicator.

I don't know enough about who we should and shouldn't sell, equally who we should buy. Personally I don't really rate either Zaha or Barkley, but then I'm not sure why we're looking at that type of player. Mbappe is the man from Monaco, however he wants to go to Madrid.....fine we'll keep Dele!!

I'm sure Poch and the club will find a couple of gems.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
I'm not really getting at the transfer side of things, I'm really wondering how far this team can go? If we add one maybe two quality signings this Summer, then when does the financial side become irrelevant and that we have to start thinking that this team should be winning things?

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Limit the spend on transfers, use the transfer budget to increase the wages of key players.

Only buy to replace, not for the sake of it. We are the best team in the league, we would of won the league if Chelsea played the same amount of games as us

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
We need much greater depth... we do need to spend money and to get players in that will give us a 20/25 man squad that can come in and do a job. We imo need to get these all under 25. Serious potential from around thebworld for Poch to mold into the next generation of Dele's and Kane's etc.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I'm not really getting at the transfer side of things, I'm really wondering how far this team can go? If we add one maybe two quality signings this Summer, then when does the financial side become irrelevant and that we have to start thinking that this team should be winning things?
Next season wembley is too variable to think about league,hopefully chase a cup and go further in CL.Starting wise we are pretty much there,another trusted CB,CF and if we do sign a starter it has to be a difference maker.
In a way leaving WHL is a plus,beautiful new stadium coming,must be a draw for keeping signing players,but 3 stadiums as home in 3 years is not ideal playing wise IMO.So expectations,cup and compete will see me joyful.If we do as well in the league fuck me Poch and the lads will have done well cos I bet arse,chavs,pool,citeh,united will spend at least £500m between them this summer.But we are good enough if this group stays put with us.In some ways we will be better,winks,maybe edwards adding depth and getting experience,Janssen&sissoko either improve lamela style or goodbye,and Lamela back.And there has to be signings of some sort??

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
All teams evolve, nothing lasts forever I suppose. Good sides strengthen from a position of strength, just look at how manure constantly tweaked under fergusons watch. In a utopia we'd keep all out current players and Pochettino and the boys would push on next year and we'd return to the new gaff as champions.
Would love some silverware next season and to get out of the group stages of CL tbh. That and another push towards the title would be beyond great.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Limit the spend on transfers, use the transfer budget to increase the wages of key players.

Only buy to replace, not for the sake of it. We are the best team in the league, we would of won the league if Chelsea played the same amount of games as us

Yeah even the season when we were chasing Leicester, they had no European football, plus teams totally underestimated them and maybe that lead teams to be that much more complacent against them, than a top 6 side. They also had no real derbies to speak of, whereas we have a whole host of London derbies to contend with and teams desperate to beat us.

Don't wanna take anything away from what they did though, it was an incredible achievement from them but the stars definitely aligned for 'em, much like the Chavs this season.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Next season wembley is too variable to think about league,hopefully chase a cup and go further in CL.Starting wise we are pretty much there,another trusted CB,CF and if we do sign a starter it has to be a difference maker.
In a way leaving WHL is a plus,beautiful new stadium coming,must be a draw for keeping signing players,but 3 stadiums as home in 3 years is not ideal playing wise IMO.So expectations,cup and compete will see me joyful.If we do as well in the league fuck me Poch and the lads will have done well cos I bet arse,chavs,pool,citeh,united will spend at least £500m between them this summer.But we are good enough if this group stays put with us.In some ways we will be better,winks,maybe edwards adding depth and getting experience,Janssen&sissoko either improve lamela style or goodbye,and Lamela back.And there has to be signings of some sort??

Yeah Wembley will be a tricky hurdle to overcome, may take us a few games but once we're settled in and the environment becomes familiar, then I think we'll be fine.

I'd love to see us add another flair player, someone to push for a starting position but at least someone who can come off the bench and inject that bit of quality in games like the Spammers, when things just aren't working out for whatever reason. Someone like a Lanzini, I don't watch much European football but I'm guessing there are those out there that we could realistically get. Lamela coming back will be a big bonus but one more quality player to replace Sissoko and I'd be a happy man.

Not sure where all you boys stand on Vincent but despite his work rate and his desire to be a success, I'm not sold on him an upgrade on him wouldn't go a miss but happy to give him another season.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Not sure where all you boys stand on Vincent but despite his work rate and his desire to be a success, I'm not sold on him an upgrade on him wouldn't go a miss but happy to give him another season.
I ll stick with any hard worker to make it,even sissoko if he can turn it round,I would have defoe back for a year,familar with the club,works hard pressing,sure he could bag 10 goals in cups or as an impact sub,other than that if Janssen does go,havent got a scooby,I guess young upcoming doesnt mind waiting for a chance,personally I d go all in tempt jose with £40-50m for rashford,even just for the wind up.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
We're played four games in Wembley this season, I'd like to think our uncertain start there is all but done now ;)

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
We're played four games in Wembley this season, I'd like to think our uncertain start there is all but done now ;)
That doesn't stop the opposition every week playing their cup final though. That's why it's a tough venue, it's not just about us.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
That doesn't stop the opposition every week playing their cup final though. That's why it's a tough venue, it's not just about us.

Might give them the wobblies too, it's a more intimidating stadium, after all. I think it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
We will be playing in 25 of the fuckers every other week then...

It can be used as an excuse wither way, I don't buy it.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I think having played there already this season will be helpful in terms of us adapting and think the fans will adapt to the stadium too. There has to be a way of ensuring all the park lane lot are in one area again as they'll get things going, just need the rest to join in and it'll create a lot of noise.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/daniel-levy-quizzed-new-stadium-13007278

Sounds ominous!
"Daniel Levy said no player would be sold who they didn’t want to sell for non-footballing reasons," read the minutes. "He said that all players were under contracts, contracts they were happy to sign at the time.They would be expected to honour those contracts. They wouldn’t have had a reduction if things had gone badly."
Not ominous, it sounds just like Levy to me. That is a really, really, really stupid thing to say, straight out of the Trump school of diplomacy. I believe he would rather have a team full of disgruntled players 'honouring their contracts' than pay the money that is now accepted in the top clubs of the Premier League. Anyone want to bet on our Premier League position next year if the core of our great team 'honour their contracts'? He has got lucky with the players and the manager, if he doesn't stump up the cash that luck may run out. Nobody likes the ridiculous amount of money top players and their slimey agents get but it can't be changed now, it is a fact of life and putting your fingers in your ears and going 'la la la' when players like Toby ask for an amount he could earn anywhere, will not work, yes he can be forced to honour his contract, just like Berbatov when his 'head wasn't right' or Ratfishboy in his last 6 months with us.

I believe Levy is a dick, he always was and always will be Mr Buyrite, only bothered about wedge, making loads and loads of it. I know so many people here love him and want to snog him for the great things he has done, I am not one of them - can you tell? I am always right when I judge people, I knew that Hitler was a cunt even though I was born 15 years after he died, I had one of my feelings, I was proven right! I also had a inkling that Pol Pot would turn out to be a wrong'un, right again.

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
What was Leicester's turnover and wage bill last season?

Nundy

Nundy

Founding Member
Can't see us raising the bar financially until a few seasons at our new ground and that is asking that the performances from the last two seasons continue and we start doing damage in the champions league

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The Champions league, even going out in the group stage is probably worth around £30m and that doesn't include the extra's - money you get from greater merchandise sales, the extra money you can charge for sponsorship deals, F&B revenue, etc.

£30m may or may not have been factored into the business plan, assuming it hasn't and there is some transfer kitty anyway - typically around £50m annually. So that's about £80m in the kitty. Let's suppose the entire first XI come to Levy this Summer and say we all want £150k a week or we're off, and let's suppose that the first XI are on average getting paid £70k a week, that's £80k a week more than now.

So 11players x £80k a week more x 52 weeks of the year. That totals £45,760,000.

Which means that since, over the past 5 years we have had a net transfer spend of 47p and we have Champions league football next year. We can offer the entire first team competitive wages, for the next 2 years, of course in real life the £150k would be an average, because as much as I love Kieran Trippier or Kyle Walker they ain't going to get the same as Dele, Eriksen or Kane. But you get the point.

If we want to keep most of these guys and we do, last nights attitude proved that, we need to pay them the going rate for players of their quality.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
The Champions league, even going out in the group stage is probably worth around £30m and that doesn't include the extra's - money you get from greater merchandise sales, the extra money you can charge for sponsorship deals, F&B revenue, etc.

£30m may or may not have been factored into the business plan, assuming it hasn't and there is some transfer kitty anyway - typically around £50m annually. So that's about £80m in the kitty. Let's suppose the entire first XI come to Levy this Summer and say we all want £150k a week or we're off, and let's suppose that the first XI are on average getting paid £70k a week, that's £80k a week more than now.

So 11players x £80k a week more x 52 weeks of the year. That totals £45,760,000.

Which means that since, over the past 5 years we have had a net transfer spend of 47p and we have Champions league football next year. We can offer the entire first team competitive wages, for the next 2 years, of course in real life the £150k would be an average, because as much as I love Kieran Trippier or Kyle Walker they ain't going to get the same as Dele, Eriksen or Kane. But you get the point.

If we want to keep most of these guys and we do, last nights attitude proved that, we need to pay them the going rate for players of their quality.

Levy's stance on paying players the going rate or near the going rate, slightly concerns me. I'm sure I've heard him say that just because they've had a good game or season, shouldn't automatically mean a pay rise and new contract, much like if a player has a bad game or bad season, doesn't mean that we then pay them less.

I just hope he appreciates that in order to keep these players, he's going to have to pay them a lot more. I get the feeling that Levy feels like the whole thing's a game at times and that no player will hold this club to ransom, which in some cases is right but in this case it's about giving the players what they deserve, in relation to what other clubs are paying. It's not a matter of power, and who wields that power, it's more about the continuity of the most impressive generation of players we've had in decades.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
King power pitch where we dismantled last seasons champions 1m narrower than Wembley +exact same length .No more BIG pitch nonsense
26bd.png
Coys
26bd.png

DAJKTk0XYAATnNm.jpg

DAJKTk0WsAMYFxk.jpg

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
King power pitch where we dismantled last seasons champions 1m narrower than Wembley +exact same length .No more BIG pitch nonsense
26bd.png
Coys
26bd.png

DAJKTk0XYAATnNm.jpg

DAJKTk0WsAMYFxk.jpg

It's the fucking seats! They're that colour that I don't even like mentioning - Levy should provide everybody with a proper blue seat cover, a comfy padded one, I'll have mine heated for those chilly days I don't want to get hypothermia of the arse that would be bad for a man as frail and sickly as me.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I read somewhere recently and heard on the wireless this morning that Spurs are one of the big 6 (nice to be included again) who are arguing for a greater share of the financial pot generated by the Premier League, or otherwise we might take our collective ball and run off to form a separate European Super League.

I don't like this attitude. Football is all about your own country, rivalries, and the league with the additional European competition as a bonus for those who qualify.

We can't really moan about the money that City, United and Chelsea throw around and then appear to the likes of Swansea, Brighton, Burnley and Southampton that we're better than them and want more money.

This whole football finance model is skewed enough already, without the top 3-6 clubs in each league going all 'don't you know who we are' . I don't care that Tottenham have engineered themselves into the big boys club, we should remember the bigger picture, the good of football as a whole and where some of support and better players have come from.

It's all fast turning into an American football style franchise system. As Keith Burkinshaw famously said ....there used to be a football club there once. It's not just at Spurs, we're actually one of the better 'modern clubs' still I think, but football in general. Might be even too late to stop the momentum, but I'm not interested in watching Spurs vs Juventus and Sevilla every other week. I prefer a bit of Chris Hughtons Brighton and the Pikeys for my entertainment at weekends, whilst they earn a few quid as well.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I read somewhere recently and heard on the wireless this morning that Spurs are one of the big 6 (nice to be included again) who are arguing for a greater share of the financial pot generated by the Premier League, or otherwise we might take our collective ball and run off to form a separate European Super League.

I don't like this attitude. Football is all about your own country, rivalries, and the league with the additional European competition as a bonus for those who qualify.

We can't really moan about the money that City, United and Chelsea throw around and then appear to the likes of Swansea, Brighton, Burnley and Southampton that we're better than them and want more money.

This whole football finance model is skewed enough already, without the top 3-6 clubs in each league going all 'don't you know who we are' . I don't care that Tottenham have engineered themselves into the big boys club, we should remember the bigger picture, the good of football as a whole and where some of support and better players have come from.

It's all fast turning into an American football style franchise system. As Keith Burkinshaw famously said ....there used to be a football club there once. It's not just at Spurs, we're actually one of the better 'modern clubs' still I think, but football in general. Might be even too late to stop the momentum, but I'm not interested in watching Spurs vs Juventus and Sevilla every other week. I prefer a bit of Chris Hughtons Brighton and the Pikeys for my entertainment at weekends, whilst they earn a few quid as well.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41497079
Premier League clubs have rejected an initial proposal to end the equal distribution of overseas TV money.

The six richest clubs - Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea - want their appeal reflected in their income.

And a plan - presented by the league's executive chairman Richard Scudamore - suggested 35% of global revenue should be divided based on league position.

But at a meeting on Wednesday, no vote was taken due to a lack of support.

"Clubs agreed to adjourn to allow further discussion," a statement read.

It had become clear during the meeting that the plan was significantly short of gaining the support of the 14 clubs needed for it to be passed.

The issue will be discussed again at the next meeting of club bosses in November.

The £3bn overseas deal for 2016-19 generates £39m annually for each club - and for the previous 25 years there has been an equal sharing of international broadcasting income between the clubs.

But new contracts for international markets such as China and the United States for the next period between 2019 and 2022 have been booming in value, and the big six clubs want a greater share.

Analysis
Today's events means that Scudamore's specific plan to appease the "Big Six" is effectively dead for now. It will not be discussed at the next Premier League monthly meeting in November.

However, the fact that the discussion has been adjourned does suggest that the smaller clubs are open to some form of compromise and may cede some ground. Could that possibly be a smaller proportion than 35%? We'll learn more in the coming weeks.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
It's just wrong. 20 years ago City and Chelsea were going bust. Leeds had a football team and Everton were very strong. I'd love to see how City and Chelsea get on if they had to coach their own players from youth to success.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
It's just wrong. 20 years ago City and Chelsea were going bust. Leeds had a football team and Everton were very strong. I'd love to see how City and Chelsea get on if they had to coach their own players from youth to success.
Mate FFP will sort it..........