By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

The next month... "optimistic october?"

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Well I dont believe in unicorns,the easter bunny,fairies and a whole host of mumbo jumbo,but admit I am feeling a tad superstitious with the run we are on.I am convinced if I dont start the OMT bad luck will strike,and after this thread;
http://www.properspursy.com/talk/threads/an-interesting-crazy-pivotal-14-days.110/

I cant help but feel if there isnt another monthly preview,then I am encouraging misfortune.

So what a start to the season,and after a mad run of fixtures the last two weeks of september (5 matches in 3 competitions),we won all five on the bounce,without Kane,dembele,rose,dier for a few or all of that run,guess the many we sold and the few we bought in have turned out pretty good so far.

Maybe the thread title is itself optimistic,what with 4 away games on the spin (including at liverpool and leverkusen) and finally last match of october a home match with the champions of england.

PL
Sat 15 Oct 15:00 WBA away

Champions League
Tue 18 Oct 19:45 Leverkusen away

PL
Sat 22 Oct 12:30 Bournemouth away

EFL Cup - Fourth Round
Tue 25 Oct 19:45 Liverpool away

PL
Sat 29 Oct 15:00 Leicester city home

Well just perhaps playing away will suit our counter attacking style,we have a solid defence and surely mousa,dier,and perhaps even kane will be back,confidence is sky high,so how can I look at those fixtures and not see win,win,win and then the chance to silence any remaining "its their year " nonsense from the worst defence in the top 8 ,and then the fact we can turn the fairytale into a nightmare even if we have to suffer 30mins of "champions of england" taunts before they think on the ignomy of trying to wind our fans up this season!!

Once again I am thinking 5 straight wins and a huge ebay order of lube for myself this month.
Got a problem with that?speak to my manager..

1155.jpg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Oh yeah just maybe 22nd oct.......

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Well I dont believe in unicorns,the easter bunny,fairies and a whole host of mumbo jumbo,but admit I am feeling a tad superstitious with the run we are on.I am convinced if I dont start the OMT bad luck will strike,and after this thread;
http://www.properspursy.com/talk/threads/an-interesting-crazy-pivotal-14-days.110/

I cant help but feel if there isnt another monthly preview,then I am encouraging misfortune.

So what a start to the season,and after a mad run of fixtures the last two weeks of september (5 matches in 3 competitions),we won all five on the bounce,without Kane,dembele,rose,dier for a few or all of that run,guess the many we sold and the few we bought in have turned out pretty good so far.

Maybe the thread title is itself optimistic,what with 4 away games on the spin (including at liverpool and leverkusen) and finally last match of october a home match with the champions of england.

PL
Sat 15 Oct 15:00 WBA away

Champions League
Tue 18 Oct 19:45 Leverkusen away

PL
Sat 22 Oct 12:30 Bournemouth away

EFL Cup - Fourth Round
Tue 25 Oct 19:45 Liverpool away

PL
Sat 29 Oct 15:00 Leicester city home

Well just perhaps playing away will suit our counter attacking style,we have a solid defence and surely mousa,dier,and perhaps even kane will be back,confidence is sky high,so how can I look at those fixtures and not see win,win,win and then the chance to silence any remaining "its their year " nonsense from the worst defence in the top 8 ,and then the fact we can turn the fairytale into a nightmare even if we have to suffer 30mins of "champions of england" taunts before they think on the ignomy of trying to wind our fans up this season!!

Once again I am thinking 5 straight wins and a huge ebay order of lube for myself this month.
Got a problem with that?speak to my manager..

1155.jpg
I like the optimism and certainly the team will believe they are unstoppable at present. One of the things that I read regarding Sunday and the early games in a new season was that the players train so hard at the start that they are tired initially and it's not until October, November and Decemeber time that the hard work starts bearing fruit. Certainly against Liverpool at home we looked a yard off the pace, and maybe the Euro's were also a factor.

We'll need to keep playing as far as possible with the same intensity against the likes of WBA, Bournemouth and Leicester that we did against City. It's difficult to peak week after week, game after game, both mentally and physically, I expect Poch to rotate the team for rest where required and also to keep players on their toes battling for places in the team, we have such a strong squad now of around 16-18 players that we are less weakened when the likes of Wimmer, Trippier, Davies, etc. all play, we've even got a fully fit Dier, Mousa and Harry to welcome back at some point......it's a great situation to be in.

We can of course win all these games, the toughest being Liverpool away in the EFL Cup and maybe West Brom, we'll see. I expect a 'squad' team for the Liverpool match. We're not going to be as good as we were against City every week and there will be bumps in the road, but the mindset and attitude is right, the momentum is strong and we'll fight in every game. Can't ask for much more than that. Bring it on.

boo

boo

Founding Member
The away month eh! Is it plausible? 5 wins from those five fixtures? We certainly have the squad to pull it off but, I can't remove those losses at home to the wolves, West broms, stokes of this world.

Maybe, just maybe we have started to remove this concern from my head, maybe...

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The away month eh! Is it plausible? 5 wins from those five fixtures? We certainly have the squad to pull it off but, I can't remove those losses at home to the wolves, West broms, stokes of this world.

Ha ha.....yes it's tough trying to remove the old 'spursy' tag from the back of your mind...the 5-1 against Newcastle didn't help did it. We're getting there! Keep the faith.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

Let`s see what Ire has to say on that eh!!

upload_2016-10-4_14-42-24.jpeg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Also in this period ;
city vs everton
liverpool vs man u
chelsea vs man utd

Some teams there abouts will def drop points,if we can keep steaming through,well.....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
http://sport.bt.com/football/mauric...avoid-overworking-spurs-stars-S11364105303820

Mauricio Pochettino admits he must guard against overworking his players ahead of what he believes will be a crucial period in Tottenham’s season.

Spurs will play their first of seven games in 23 days when they travel to West Brom on Saturday as they look to sustain the momentum gained from their superb win over Manchester City.

In that period, Pochettino’s men face home and away Champions League fixtures against Bayer Leverkusen, an EFL Cup fourth-round trip to Liverpool, as well as Premier League games against Bournemouth, Leicester and Arsenal.
It will be another test of Tottenham’s squad, which has successfully absorbed injuries to Harry Kane, Mousa Dembele and Eric Dier in recent weeks.

Pochettino must also carefully assess his international players like the in-form Son Heung-min, who was in Tehran playing for South Korea against Iran on Tuesday, and Erik Lamela, who was in Argentina for their defeat to Paraguay a day later.

It means Spurs may rotate their starting line-up at the Hawthorns, with Pochettino admitting he has no choice but to keep one eye on the schedule ahead.

“Saturday we know is a very important game and important to try to win the game,” Pochettino said.
But in the same way we have many, many issues or ideas in our head because it is not only that we have one game ahead against West Bromwich, like it’s the (only) game and we need the three points and it is the end of the season.

“We have seven games in 23 days and after the international duty when the players that play a lot, that come from injury, like Danny Rose, or players like Eric Dier or Erik Lamela that arrived on Wednesday, or Son from Asia.

“We need to be clever in how we prepare the game and the decision that we shall take to be ready to compete in Germany, Bournemouth, Liverpool in seven games.”
Tottenham must find a way of juggling their European campaign with a domestic title challenge, just as Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea have done in recent years.

The victory over City suggested Spurs are ready to compete at the top of the table but Pochettino fears the international break may have jolted some of his squad’s rhythm.

“I think it was a fantastic win. If you compete again after three days, and Manchester City was the first game in a run of seven, fantastic, because that is a big, big boost,” Pochettino said.

Personally as always,I believe the next game is the one to put a side out to win,sounds easy but with the caveat of a side capable to win,so I wont be suprised if against west brom lamela (late returning) and rose (had a good kicking recently) dembele (poch never returns players early from injury) and wanyama (saved for the CL away in germany) sit this out.See we can do that and still have an excellent side even without Kane too!!But firstly beat west brom.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Also in this period ;
city vs everton
liverpool vs man u
chelsea vs man utd

Some teams there abouts will def drop points,if we can keep steaming through,well.....
Manure snatching two away draws would be pretty decent for us if we win our games. I'm super duper confident at the moment but a little part of me thinks we've gotta drop points sometime. Hopefully I'm wrong and we spank everyone in the league but at some point some cunt is gonna take a point or three off us. I've got a feeling we'll Keep winning until Arsenal away but will draw there, and first loss will be Chavski away. It's a feeling I got, which isn't a bad one even if it does feature losing at the bridge as we'd have a fucking mega amount of points on the board. Think this month is gonna be filled with Wins in the league, a loss at Anfield, and wins in the CL!!!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Harry Kane is poised to return to the training pitch on Monday after being sidelined for a month and Tottenham Hotspur are cautiously optimistic that there will be more encouraging injury news about Toby Alderweireld, who is due to undergo a scan after he was taken off on a stretcher on Saturday.

Although Alderweireld was in a lot of pain at the time of the injury, the Belgian was able to walk out of The Hawthorns after the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion. Mauricio Pochettino has ruled Alderweireld out of the Champions League away game against Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday, but Spurs are hopeful that the damage to the central defender’s knee is not too severe and that he could be looking at weeks, rather than months, in the treatment room.

Related: Tottenham’s Kane on the mend and may be fit for trip to Arsenal in November

Kane’s rehabilitation continues to progress. He has not played since injuring ankle ligaments against Sunderland on 18 September, but this week should represent another step forward for the striker. “Hopefully as soon as possible we can recover him, and the team will get stronger,” Pochettino said. “The Champions League game on Tuesday is too soon for him but maybe Monday he will start to train on the pitch.”

Danny Rose will be restored to the starting lineup in Leverkusen after being rested against West Brom. “After his injury he played against Manchester City and then it wasn’t in the plan to play two games with the national team,” Pochettino said. “But because [Ryan] Bertrand was injured, he had to play two games.

“We don’t want to take risks. I think this is too much for a player coming from the injury to play two games in one week. For that [reason] we gave him a rest to be ready for the next two games.”

With Alderweireld out, the manager is likely to ask Eric Dier to partner Jan Vertonghen at centre-back. “The good thing about Eric is he can play like a midfielder and a centre-back, and can perform good in several positions,” Pochettino said. “That is important and we will see about the decision for Tuesday. It is one option more that we have.”

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Harry Kane is poised to return to the training pitch on Monday after being sidelined for a month and Tottenham Hotspur are cautiously optimistic that there will be more encouraging injury news about Toby Alderweireld, who is due to undergo a scan after he was taken off on a stretcher on Saturday.

Although Alderweireld was in a lot of pain at the time of the injury, the Belgian was able to walk out of The Hawthorns after the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion. Mauricio Pochettino has ruled Alderweireld out of the Champions League away game against Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday, but Spurs are hopeful that the damage to the central defender’s knee is not too severe and that he could be looking at weeks, rather than months, in the treatment room.

Related: Tottenham’s Kane on the mend and may be fit for trip to Arsenal in November

Kane’s rehabilitation continues to progress. He has not played since injuring ankle ligaments against Sunderland on 18 September, but this week should represent another step forward for the striker. “Hopefully as soon as possible we can recover him, and the team will get stronger,” Pochettino said. “The Champions League game on Tuesday is too soon for him but maybe Monday he will start to train on the pitch.”

Danny Rose will be restored to the starting lineup in Leverkusen after being rested against West Brom. “After his injury he played against Manchester City and then it wasn’t in the plan to play two games with the national team,” Pochettino said. “But because [Ryan] Bertrand was injured, he had to play two games.

“We don’t want to take risks. I think this is too much for a player coming from the injury to play two games in one week. For that [reason] we gave him a rest to be ready for the next two games.”

With Alderweireld out, the manager is likely to ask Eric Dier to partner Jan Vertonghen at centre-back. “The good thing about Eric is he can play like a midfielder and a centre-back, and can perform good in several positions,” Pochettino said. “That is important and we will see about the decision for Tuesday. It is one option more that we have.”
Good to see Toby was able to walk after the game on Saturday as it didn't look good for him.Good news on Kane too. We're playing well at the moment but an on form Kane up top would propel us from playing well to be really fucking good! Shame we couldn't get an early goal against the baggies the first half deserved one but wasn't to be and we all knew this would be a tough game too.

On to Germany now for Leverkusen before Bournemouth away in the league.

COYS!!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I assume that Kevin Wimmer is another option? Although last year with Dier and Mousa being so crucial in midfield, we had to use Wimmer. Now that we have Wanyama on form and Sissoko, Eric provides a versatile option. Will be interesting to see which option Poch chooses.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I assume that Kevin Wimmer is another option? Although last year with Dier and Mousa being so crucial in midfield, we had to use Wimmer. Now that we have Wanyama on form and Sissoko, Eric provides a versatile option. Will be interesting to see which option Poch chooses.
I think Toby is a big player for us,but we set up well as a team defensively and dier,wimmer,CCV,even davies has played there too we arent short of cover at CB.Poch will pick on merit as always,whomever plays has been showing him the best in training.Toby maybe missed but we are an excellent team unlike city or chelsea who without costa or aguero are fucked up front or without kompany and even the arch cunt terry are knackered in defence,liverpool and arse are short of CB cover too,we have the better squad defence wise than any other and that includes Vorm as #2 to Hugo.Amazing that our whole defensive squad about 8 players cost less than the money spent on Stones.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Good to see Toby was able to walk after the game on Saturday as it didn't look good for him.Good news on Kane too. We're playing well at the moment but an on form Kane up top would propel us from playing well to be really fucking good! Shame we couldn't get an early goal against the baggies the first half deserved one but wasn't to be and we all knew this would be a tough game too.

On to Germany now for Leverkusen before Bournemouth away in the league.

COYS!!!
The Times understand Toby Alderweireld has only suffered nerve bruising to his knee and is likely to recover quickly.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
The Times understand Toby Alderweireld has only suffered nerve bruising to his knee and is likely to recover quickly.
Apparently it's gonna be all good and Kane is due back in proper training soon too!