By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

The prestigious Champions League.....?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Well we have it..... so why arnt the big players clambering over one another to sign for us so the can play on the world's biggest stage?

Is it because of the huge restructuring going on at the super clubs? They get to cherry pick and we get to sweep up what's left?

Is it because of our restrictive wage structure that these players won't entertain earning a penny less that 150k a week?

Or is it because we are simply not that good and will be expected to drop out of the running early doors and not compete for honours again?

Or is it that players give zero actual fcuks about the competition now and just want huge wallets where ever it's being offered?

Is it that they are bored of watching Real Madrid and bacelona dominate and win it almost every year?

I am yet to hear anyone of note pay us a compliment and sat that they are flattered to be linked with such a prestigious club etc. Are we being drowned out by the Mourinho effect (Fcuk I hope he fails miserably) and just not given enough air time?

What I am getting at is we have a golden ticket and no one seems to want to join the ride.

Lots of players would surely want to gve the Prem and the CL a bash.....we can offer that...!

What do you think it is that stops players wanting to come to us.... if that's happening at all and I'm not just making it up.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I am very disappointed Kante left leics and CL football for mid-table chelsea,money talks tho!!
My own view is enough of the mercenary types where money is the only thing,yes earn a decent wage,but if the only criteria is an extra 50k pw to play for the chavs and no european football,then you are a glory hunting twunt who I wouldnt want at spurs.I dont think or feel that we missed out so far,no name has jumped out that is a sure fire winner to put straight into the side.& I just dont think this season we have to unsettle a damn good starting XI with signings that break the wage structure,or egos that could disrupt the spirit,its worth sticking with this team and anyone who gets in works to be in it and not just cos they have a hefty fee or reputation.
We can definatly make the squad deeper but replace who?kane,eriksen,dier any of the back 4,kane,alli,mousa,yes more depth but why rock the boat with all that is so promising?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Well we have it..... so why arnt the big players clambering over one another to sign for us so the can play on the world's biggest stage?

Is it because of the huge restructuring going on at the super clubs? They get to cherry pick and we get to sweep up what's left?

Is it because of our restrictive wage structure that these players won't entertain earning a penny less that 150k a week?

Or is it because we are simply not that good and will be expected to drop out of the running early doors and not compete for honours again?

Or is it that players give zero actual fcuks about the competition now and just want huge wallets where ever it's being offered?

Is it that they are bored of watching Real Madrid and bacelona dominate and win it almost every year?

I am yet to hear anyone of note pay us a compliment and sat that they are flattered to be linked with such a prestigious club etc. Are we being drowned out by the Mourinho effect (Fcuk I hope he fails miserably) and just not given enough air time?

What I am getting at is we have a golden ticket and no one seems to want to join the ride.

Lots of players would surely want to gve the Prem and the CL a bash.....we can offer that...!

What do you think it is that stops players wanting to come to us.... if that's happening at all and I'm not just making it up.
It's pretty much down to money in most cases I think, plus a bit of prestige of playing for the current 'glory' clubs - Madrid, United, Barca, Chelsea, Bayern.

You only need to look at the sums and wages being asked/paid for Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Batshuyai, etc. etc.

I'm actually happy we're not doing it, we've picked up two bargains in Wanyama and Janssen and just beat Inter Milan 6-1. Who knows how this season will unfold, but we're doing the right thing at Spurs, I wouldn't change anything right now, brilliant season coming right up.

ps. we are going to be in the enviable position in a few years if necessary that if we wanted to sell any of our own high profile stars then the asking price will be £50m+ minimum for Kane, Alli, Lamela, Alderweireld, Dier, etc.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I agree with @Don Diaz. Don't want a big expensive signing unless it's a player that is a certain upgrade on what we have at the moment which isn't easy to come across in our price range and that will fit into our wage structure and isn't already at a huge club. Keeping an ey on movements at Barca and Real is a good idea. I heard a while ago that Kovacic wasn't happy at Real Madrid as not getting enough time, I don't follow much Spanish football as don't have the spare time these days to know ig that's true but I'd take him at a reasonable price if he was adding to our squad but wouldn't want to get rid of any of our current stars for him for example. I'dhave liked Gotze from Bayern but as an addition to rather replacing someone like Eriksen.

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member

I feel a tour coming on bruv(ok it's a couple of trips to Wembley you jinx but hey ho)

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

Things are just altogether fukced up this summer by the changes at the big clubs and by the money up and down the league due to TV money (and the fact that there were two major international tournaments) so it's hard to really know. I also think as others are saying that we're not really seriously in the market for some of these guys, and that Poch is the kind of manager that's going to buy to fit his philosophy and approach (not so much his system) rather than the flavor of the month. Still a bit of time left in the window as well, and I think we need and will probably go after another player or two before September.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
It's not so much the fact that we wouldn't be interestEd because at the right price we obviously would as some of these players are fantastic and would 100% improve our squad.

What I don't see is the top players acknowledging our accomplishments and putting us in that bracket?

Is it because we flaked out over the last couple of weeks and allowed the scum to pip us to second?

Doesn't 3rd and still improving cut it anymore? Why doesn't our CL pedigree make players chirp up about us and how we are a great club and they'd relish playing for us.

I just think to dine at the top table you need to start being talked about by the biggest and best otherwise you will always be in the background.

This season it's imperative we conduct another genuine assault on the title and cement our place in the top tier of English football.

Anything less than that is an abject backwards step and if we want to be considered amongst the best and biggest we need to be mixing with them on a regular.

I'm guessing I am answering my own question on reflection in that we were a bit spursyband in the end although a great outcome and best ever Premium finish it could and probably should have been even better. With that minor chink in the armor we are not seen as genuine contenders and just also runs and that is what we go into this campaign as.

Time to change that with graft hard work and guile and make people recognise what we are.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
It's not so much the fact that we wouldn't be interestEd because at the right price we obviously would as some of these players are fantastic and would 100% improve our squad.

What I don't see is the top players acknowledging our accomplishments and putting us in that bracket?

Is it because we flaked out over the last couple of weeks and allowed the scum to pip us to second?

Doesn't 3rd and still improving cut it anymore? Why doesn't our CL pedigree make players chirp up about us and how we are a great club and they'd relish playing for us.

I just think to dine at the top table you need to start being talked about by the biggest and best otherwise you will always be in the background.

This season it's imperative we conduct another genuine assault on the title and cement our place in the top tier of English football.

Anything less than that is an abject backwards step and if we want to be considered amongst the best and biggest we need to be mixing with them on a regular.

I'm guessing I am answering my own question on reflection in that we were a bit spursyband in the end although a great outcome and best ever Premium finish it could and probably should have been even better. With that minor chink in the armor we are not seen as genuine contenders and just also runs and that is what we go into this campaign as.

Time to change that with graft hard work and guile and make people recognise what we are.
Even after last season,with klopp,pep,jose,conte coming we are largely being ignored by the media in the new season build up,I am glad we are flying under the radar and are gonna 633 squadron their cheque book arses.
In answer to part of your point,I really dont want the personality types that speak about other clubs whilst they play at another,(hazard and psg),or kiss the badge after half a season,or a huge ego that believes they are god,or a player who made a team champions and left for abrahamovic`s billions and no european football.As for other pros talking of us,well last year it was anyone but spurs for most fans,and then you have arse,chavs never going to acknowledge us,liverpool never acknowledge anything or one after 1990,manchester teams really had to keep their mouths shut after both spending over £300/400m the last couple of years and being below us-We did get praise from some teams many said we were the best team they got beat by last year,but stoke,everton,bournemouth dont carry the same weight in media attention.On top of that the perennial sky big 4 or 5 must hate that their cosy divvy up of CL money has been wrecked by spurs and leics,

I am happy to sign hard working players with integrity,janssen looks that,may not be as sexy as a gotze or schweinsteiger,or icardi who we just smashed 6-1 !!but fit perfectly into the clubs current ethos.Beside everyone mistakenly believe chelsea,liverpool,united will just swan back into the fight for the title,a small club from fulham that didnt exisit before 2003,a team that hasnt won the league in 25 years and a team that hasnt been top 4 for 3 years,with no rational reason other thatn historically or recently they did well.But now their teams are still a mess even with new gaffers,100s of millions spent,we`ll be ok I feel this year.Then people will sit up and take notice!!

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

You're right, following up last season with success (measured, for better or worse, by top-four) is the key to establishing what you're talking about. I think it's doable too.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
After one game I think we can already see how this season is going to be much tougher than the last for the top 6 teams. We're now up against some of the best managers and players in the world with in most cases their own players, many of whom are truly world class. We'll have a much better idea by Christmas, after the European fixtures have had an impact. Chelsea and Liverpool have a noticeable benefit of not participating and it will be interesting to say how Maureen approaches the EL. It will all be a great measure of how we're doing, but for those that are thinking that top 4 is a must and anything else is a disaster, it isn't - the longer term goal with bigger revenues generated by the bigger stadium, is the 5 year plan. We're ahead of the curve at present, which is a bonus.

Bring it on.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I think some of the sides are seriously risking their future in the league the way they have spent.

It seems utterly proposterous that palace have just spent 32 fcuking million. Our record fee is just 30 and that was on Lamella.

I dnt know if people see a CL place up for grabs and want to give it a serious go full tilt and I don't now if that's the case who they see as the one to drop out from last year.

It's got to be us or the scum imo, as the Chavs will be decent, Utd will be decenter, Citeh will be very much like last year and the Goons are always in the mixer.

We simply have to prioritise league position and cement our place amongst the to 4 imo. Do what we realistically can in domestic cups with the kids and a second string side, do what we can in Europe but nit at the expense of our league position.

We need our physios and discepline on point to keep the squad rotation ticking over smoothly as our squad while a little bugger and better is still not 100% on point imo.

Tough year for all.

Ps. I hope klop gets the sack before December for being a tracksuit wearing vagrant.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Can't wait to find out who we get. I just hope we play away on the first week of games as I'm in Greece.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Can't wait to find out who we get. I just hope we play away on the first week of games as I'm in Greece.
I agree, I am also away but working in Brighton, not nearly so glamourous!

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
I agree, I am also away but working in Brighton, not nearly so glamourous!

What you on about, Brighton is glamorous, it's got a beach and everything. My neck of the woods so if you fancy a beer, let me know.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
What you on about, Brighton is glamorous, it's got a beach and everything. My neck of the woods so if you fancy a beer, let me know.
....in comparison with Greece....in comparison with much of the rest of the U.K. you're right, I like the place and the vibe. Have you been on that i360 yet....that would give me the wobbles...

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
....in comparison with Greece....in comparison with much of the rest of the U.K. you're right, I like the place and the vibe. Have you been on that i360 yet....that would give me the wobbles...

That thing is a bloody eyesore, apparently you can see Worthing and Eastbourne from up there, terrible sales pitch. I'm not really into heights, I'm kinda worried that the back of the new south stand will give me vertigo.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
That thing is a bloody eyesore, apparently you can see Worthing and Eastbourne from up there, terrible sales pitch. I'm not really into heights, I'm kinda worried that the back of the new south stand will give me vertigo.
Yeah I'm no good with heights either, but managed the top tier at the San Siro so should be fine!!!