By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Toby Alderweireld

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Toby played the full 90 minutes yesterday for Belgium, admittedly in a 'friendly' and against Saudi Arabia which they won comfortably 4-0.

It will be interesting to see if he makes the starting XI against Chelsea and if he doesn't does that mean he's on his way? No, probably not yet.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
He's gone, surely. It also seems a rather odd time for him to dig his heels in as he has put his participation at the World Cup (where Belgium are a real chance) in jeopardy.

My guess is that Toby is just another football mercenary.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He's gone, surely. It also seems a rather odd time for him to dig his heels in as he has put his participation at the World Cup (where Belgium are a real chance) in jeopardy.

My guess is that Toby is just another football mercenary.
Very good player,and will be a loss to the squad,judging results not a huge loss to the team though,same as Rose.Thats over £80m the pair if they are sold.
Not a great way to show loyalty when you have been paid over a million in wages when injured this time and cant work,way of the world now money over ethics.If he goes its cos Poch wont disturb the team spirit,not purely cos Levy wont payHis sick record is beyond anderton`s and all 3 years when he has missed a chunk,wimmer,davies,dier,sanchez have all shown the system works and not just the standard of player.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Very good player,and will be a loss to the squad,judging results not a huge loss to the team though,same as Rose.Thats over £80m the pair if they are sold.
Not a great way to show loyalty when you have been paid over a million in wages when injured this time and cant work,way of the world now money over ethics.If he goes its cos Poch wont disturb the team spirit,not purely cos Levy wont payHis sick record is beyond anderton`s and all 3 years when he has missed a chunk,wimmer,davies,dier,sanchez have all shown the system works and not just the standard of player.
It's a shame, a big loss to the squad if he goes. I'd love to know really what the player thinks, rather than what the agents/managers are telling him. My understanding is that a deal pre Christmas had been done and then they wanted more. I don't know but if that's the case then see ya, Levy won't be having that and unless Poch says we must keep him, he'll go I guess. Luckily it seems that we have found not only Foyth but also Sanchez, both very young and less money than we'll get for Toby. I'd love him to stay but not at any price.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Best defender in the league on his day...

Well he was until he became a greedy fuck and was dropped and shipped off to Spain...

Shame.

Dickhead.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Best defender in the league on his day...

Well he was until he became a greedy fuck and was dropped and shipped off to Spain...

Shame.

Dickhead.
Im almost with you on this one. Has been brilliant for us and we've been brilliant for him. Id have thought with his injury and the world cup coming up he'd just knuckle down to get back in the side. Where I think he's misread things is, at the moment he's 3rd choice behind Sanchez who has been superb and Vertonghen who, for me, has taken over his mantle as best CB in the league. Don't see how he forces his way back in atm to be honest.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Im almost with you on this one. Has been brilliant for us and we've been brilliant for him. Id have thought with his injury and the world cup coming up he'd just knuckle down to get back in the side. Where I think he's misread things is, at the moment he's 3rd choice behind Sanchez who has been superb and Vertonghen who, for me, has taken over his mantle as best CB in the league. Don't see how he forces his way back in atm to be honest.
We have conceded 8 goals in 14 games and had 7 clean sheets..why would you change it? Even for alderweireld

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
If Toby is to leave my main concern is where he goes. It has to be out of the premier league. He literally adds strength to any team in the division.

As is always the case for me though if he doesn't want to be a part of Spurs future, fucking see ye later lad, away n gurn about money somewhere else.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
If Toby is to leave my main concern is where he goes. It has to be out of the premier league. He literally adds strength to any team in the division.

As is always the case for me though if he doesn't want to be a part of Spurs future, fucking see ye later lad, away n gurn about money somewhere else.
PSG or Spain I hope.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
His sick record is beyond anderton`s and all 3 years when he has missed a chunk,wimmer,davies,dier,sanchez have all shown the system works and not just the standard of player.
78 games in 3 seasons for us,26 a season avg,infact that is his average since he started at Ajax in 2008,marginally less in fact.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
I can sort of understand if it’s about trophies but realistically it’s only really City in the pl that could offer him a better chance of winning silverware than we can right now but given the players they already have at cb, I very much doubt they’d want to spend another £50-60 mill on another one. So it clearly comes down to money and asking for what he’s reportedly asking for is ridiculous. A year ago, even 6 months ago, he’d be in a fairly strong bargaining position but now, nah fuck that.

The cheek of asking for £180k a week when he’s not even first choice is taking the piss. As long as he goes abroad, then i’d happily say goodbye and thank him for the memories, whilst spending some of the cash from his sale on one of the two or three talented young centre backs we’re apparently tracking.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Would be a big loss but it's certainly a value-sell at this point. He's not getting younger or better so it's a good time to move on. But I can't really convince myself that we'll be better off without him than with him. Would be nice for a change to be completely stocked, like a Real or Bayern. Would be a big miss but he can be replaced. I'm torn.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
All this just underlines what a buy Davinson Sanchez was.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Foyth..... Will get more game time now

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
As someone used to the ridiculous player movements in the A League I think the reporting of the situation is really a lot of hot air about nothing. Of course a player is going to try and maximise what will probably be their last big contract but that doesn't mean the club should pay it, particularly at his age and considering his injury history. With Toby's injury situation and us going out of the CL, it's not really surprising that Poch might prioritise playing Davinson who has performed really well and offers something different to both Jan and Toby. We also saw that if Dier can find the space, he is capable of playing those defence-breaking balls to a player running in behind.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
As someone used to the ridiculous player movements in the A League I think the reporting of the situation is really a lot of hot air about nothing. Of course a player is going to try and maximise what will probably be their last big contract but that doesn't mean the club should pay it, particularly at his age and considering his injury history. With Toby's injury situation and us going out of the CL, it's not really surprising that Poch might prioritise playing Davinson who has performed really well and offers something different to both Jan and Toby. We also saw that if Dier can find the space, he is capable of playing those defence-breaking balls to a player running in behind.

Mate, let's not mention our joke A League in here. Football in Australia is dead....the French, the Danes and the Peruvians will simply cremate the carcass in Russia.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
This has literally the hall marks of Walker leaving

wilson

wilson

Player in Training.
I'll be sad to see him go just as I would any quality player. Like others have said, you wonder how much his agent and representatives have got in his ear as he has always seemed like a likeable chap and happy at Spurs on and off the pitch. Granted you never really know what goes on behind closed doors though. Wonder whether it's another knock on effect again from Walker's departure a la Danny Rose - "hmm I'm as good as Walker and he's left and is on loads more and is winning things."

He's a little unfortunate because I'd imagine Levy would've been more likely to give in to some of his demands under pressure from Poch but for the fact Sanchez has become a great buy already which I'd imagine wasn't expected straight away - well maybe with a back 3 but few could've predicted he'd deservedly be keeping Toby out the team in a back 4 in just his first season. We really don't miss him on the pitch at the moment which, again, I wasn't expecting, and it maybe makes the decision easier to let him go and not as painful from a fan's standpoint or problematic for Poch.

I just really hope if he goes that it's outside the prem. I'd take less money for him so long as it's not to any of our league rivals. Fucks me off no end seeing the snake winning shit at City. I'd kind of be okay with selling him if we bring in another good, proven CB. Selling him and Danny the cunt will give us a fair bit of dollar to splash in the summer window!

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
It's funny when you look at those Walker comparisons....

Walker left as our second best RB...

Arguably Toby will do the same as our 3rd beat CB.....

He was the best defender in the league last term, and is say it's have been the same if his injuries hasn't hindered him this term.

We'd have to get 40'ish million for him wouldn't we? Another 35'ish for that other cunt who is dead to me...

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
To be fair to Toby, which some numpties in other places have not been, he has never made any promises to the fans like some of the snakes types. He has been great and I think our best player last season, but we are doing fine without him now and if he does move on I will wish him well, unless he goes to City, I want him to stay but if he goes then out of the Premier League would be best.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
sorry if posted
BEN on
asking 75m for toby: not true
on sellling to manu: no other club bar chelsea in for him barca bid 22 last season

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
sorry if posted
BEN on
on sellling to manu: no other club bar chelsea in for him barca bid 22 last season
Not sure this surprises me, I think his age and wage demands will put some off

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
sorry if posted
BEN on
The quote below it says "If what you read in the Mirror is true"

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Not sure this surprises me, I think his age and wage demands will put some off
i would think also his history of injuries,never plays over 30 a season.

None of these journos,ITK sources really know,how would they?"oh maureen from reception overheard transfer talk from barca to Levy" its all made up bollocks.
If you throw enough bullshit around you can never be called out for it,because there just becomes too much to analyse.It has become the norm now the internet is king,no standard to be held to,you can literally make up any story,fact&figures and put it out there.
Like jon cross did yesterday about peter shilton&maradona.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
well since the click bait bandwagon is passing......apparently Spurs offered him £130k a week pre Christmas/injury and then he came back later and wanted £180k a week.

Personally I doubt we would have offered £130k in the first place, but clearly there's an impasse with Toby. Shame.

What is proven is that clubs like Man United, Chelsea, Spurs can all lose 'big' players and move on. Sanchez may not be as good as Toby pre injury, but he has more speed and is 21, he may end up being better, who knows.