• To Dare is to do...
    1. Welcome to Proper Spursy the most authentic Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Forum, the home of the fallout crowd, you have to be awesome to be a member here. If you are awesome come and say hello.

Vincent Janssen

Discussion in 'Player Discussion' started by deejbah, Jul 12, 2016.

1. corroded

corroded Player in Training.

I really hope Vincent comes good... I must admit, against Southampton he looked like a different player. That touch, and and shot was similar to the Dutch goal scored on the other page. That's probably the best we've seen him play in the Premier League, and if he could bag a PL open play goal in the next few weeks that'll do him the world of good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Don Diaz

Don Diaz Zero tolerance of Numpty's Founding Member

Yeah I agree.......taking the shot rather than passing to Dele, shows he's got the confidence if nothing else. Dele gets a bit grumpy when he doesn't get the ball doesn't he......I remember against Millwall last week when Son mis-controlled it immediately before scoring the second goal Dele was waving his arms in frustration and yesterday when Janssen didn't pass to him. Calm down Dele, it's a team game!!

3. Dorset

Dorset The Voice Of Reason Founding Member

I'm not going to go all mental and slag off the Poch for his subs or the timings like some people have, but, I don't get why he gives Vincent such a titchy itchy bit of time to do the business? These are the minutes he was was subbed on in his last 5 PL appearances:

19th March Southampton (H) 86
      5th March Everton (H) 90
      11th February Liverpool (A) 82
      4th February Middlesbrough (H) 90
      31st January Sunderland (A) 85

I ain't not no clever tactician and I don't play football games on my computer, I am not an expert so someone will have to explain how he is supposed to bang in loads of goals and build his confidence in basically fuck-all time on the pitch? It must take a few minutes to get into a game so by the time he has a feel for what is going on the ref blows the whistle.

I know that earlier in the season he did get longer on the pitch and he actually started in 5 PL games, he didn't get off to a good start but that is not unusual for a bloke coming to the Premiership for the first time, so the Poch was obviously worried about him. I reckon he needs at least 20-30 minutes on the pitch, not fuck-all minutes plus stoppage time, that would seem fair?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Don Diaz

I was thinking the same after 60 minutes yesterday, when it was clear that Son was having a more difficult day against big Premier League defenders, bring Janssen on , hold up play and have a target man etc. I guess he doesn't get more minutes because of the overall balance of the team. Perhaps with VJ on Dele and Eriksen have to play in a different way, don't know but suspect that might be the reason.

If I was an extreme moaning git then I'd have a word with Mousa Dembele, one of our best players yesterday, and ask him if having done all the hard work, he wouldn't mind having an occasional shot please. Thanks, maybe he's saving his two goals this year for Arsenal at home.

• Like Like x 1
    5. skiathospurs

skiathospurs Well-Known Member Founding Member

Janssen: "I signed a long contract when I joined and I am happy here. I am disappointed with my number of goals but I am not a quitter."
      "I like the club, my team-mates, the staff, the fans, the training, everything. We are doing well, so why would I leave?"
      I have not scored as many as I wanted to but I know I have improved as a player and I am a better player now than I was."
      "I like it here, I really enjoy it. I think it has been a good season for me."

Janssen: "I know and I must admit it does surprise me. If I was at another club I would probably be getting slaughtered.But it is not like that here.The manager, staff, the players and even the fans realise it takes time for a player to settle at a new club in a new country."
      "They could have turned and they have not. They still cheer me on and sing my name. I feel very humbled.Maybe that is why I am so confident it will come good."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
      • Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Don Diaz

Vincent Janssen - he scores when he wants....

7. Style And Glory

Style And Glory Player in Training.

It is a testament to the majority of fans who understand & support him & other players like him.
      VJ seems to have a good head on those young shoulders & is willing to work hard to succeed.
      You can tell how much it means to him to have that kind of support behind him.

8. skiathospurs

Lets face it Bale was pretty pants for long periods and still got support,some of the more vitriolic posters&fans I wonder if in their personal and daily life how they would cope with so much derision and pisstaking,or if they spend 30 years slagging the wife off cos she doesnt do lasagne properly.

9. Dorset

Dorset The Voice Of Reason Founding Member

I can't see Vincent getting a game today - he does not have a Soccer Starz bobblehead man yet so how the fuck can the Poch select him?

10. Style And Glory

Scored a nice goal yesterday vs Morocco.

• Like Like x 1
    11. skiathospurs

It was indeed,cant help but like the bloke.

12. Don Diaz

Good goal send it to Poch. This bloke will come good for us next season, I can feel it in my water.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Style And Glory

Interview with Janssen. Not 100% convinced that he is staying. From this, I sense he wants more playing time.

Vincent Janssen says his Tottenham future will be decided after post-season holiday

By Lyall Thomas
      Last Updated: 04/06/17 2:00pm

• [​IMG]
      Vincent Janssen finished the season with six goals for Tottenham
      Vincent Janssen says his future at Tottenham will be decided after his post-season holiday, but he wants more playing time.

The 22-year-old striker had a tough first season at White Hart Lane following an £18.8m transfer from AZ Alkmaar last summer.

The Netherlands international understands why it has been difficult to play ahead of the Premier League's top goalscorer Harry Kane.

[​IMG]
      Janssen scored against Morocco in a friendly last week
      But Janssen, who scored for his country against Morocco last week and is expected to play against Ivory Coast on Sunday, admits he is keeping his options open this summer.

"I initially found it difficult with my role as a substitute, sometimes sitting in the stands at Spurs, but I learned to deal with it," he told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

"As a young player I had to compete with Harry Kane - the top scorer of the Premier League - arguably the toughest league in the world, and a striker who is performing remains in the team.

"That [my future] is a matter for after the holidays. I want the prospect of more playing time, but otherwise I'm now better keeping my mouth shut.

"I cannot say anything about that [a return to the Eredivisie] either. I keep all options open."

14. Glenjamin

Glenjamin Well-Known Member Founding Member

I like Janssen and think he should see out another season. A better league cup run would see him get more games. The main issue for him is it would actually be better for him if we were still in Europa league days. Champions league is just to important to throw him in and hope for the best.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. HollandSpursFan

HollandSpursFan Player in Training.

Vince came from our second division playing 1 year in the first the step to Spurs was to big but he is still young and can learn alot Eric and Son also had a difficult 1 year

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Liam

Liam Well-Known Member Founding Member

I think he'll be a better player for us this season. He's nowhere near the player Kane is but I feel he can be a useful second choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. skiathospurs

I think a lot is his own belief and settling in to a new country,league,team,language,culture.If he starts well when he gets on,I think we will see what Poch saw,a goal scorer with very good strength and hold up play which with Dele,Son and Eriksen could be magical.If we play and leave him isolated against 2 CBs then it wont help the lad score but then its down to the attacking midfielders to use the space past vincent,I reckon if he scored 10 he would also get as many assists thats a big part of what he would give us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Nundy

Nundy Member Founding Member

I do love Vincent. He can do it and i hope he sticks around. Difference with him and soldado is age. Vince has time to develop and improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Liam

Liam Well-Known Member Founding Member

I hope you're right. I think he has the effort and commitment to give it a good go, just looks sluggish too often. Maybe a full summer with Poch after a year of being here will help with this. I didn't see last night's game as drank a bottle of rum and fell asleep leathered on the sofa so dunno if he looked any bettet/fitter.