By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

What is success this year??

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Good oh!!lets get this little beauty out of the way and put our cards on the table over what we would consider failure and success this year.
Normally at best this divides people into two camps,at worst several other sides beyond this to bitch about what we are failing at,or over reaching by being better placed than the 6th spot our financial dealings,wages point to (alledgedly ;)).
Ah yes the two camps well lets game of thrones it as an analogy.House europa-CL for those who follow the unholy banners of uefa`s cash cow,where making another 40m (alledgedly) is the be all and end all to have a chance of sitting on the iron throne (sponsored by Sky and a bit of BT).As rare as rocking horse dung is the claim that we should join House CL as we have a chance to win it,not my words just over the years the stance seemingly not taken by those who desire top 4 above all others. Apparently in this clan there is a split as many despise the half brother bastard who heads house europa-league,and deem just ignoring this competition as the worthy way to gain favour with house CL,this would be currently the house scouse (or house chav this year too),where winter is never coming cos its our fooking year pal,though some of house spurs followers follow this unholy orthodoxy at times of shunning house europa league.

Then there is House silverware,old schooled and care only to attend service at their holy temple wembley or some random european temple to celebrate the mass of "final day",where great gifts are bestowed and achievements are recorded in the scrolls of history and used in defence of House scouse who claim to own the whole bloody library.These silverware fanatics actually believe that is worthy to adorn their tables with goblets of FA cup winners 2017,or fly banners with league cup winners from their turrets.But the otherside point out to the lack bankable loot from such a scenario and careless if we submit early in such quests by fielding our weakest warriors in such small battles,nay mere skirmishes.

But really thats all just a load of poncy bollox,are you a 4th place above everything chap or a win a trophy chap when push comes to shove.What baffles me most is that one or other is not mutually exclusive,as I always hope we do both,as I am sure most think they do.(and then hope fazio is rotated in to play so toby or jan can have a lie down :oops:)

Cards on the table for me big shiney trophy over merely qualifying (or rather earn a pot full of cash) for a competition no one really believes we can win ATM.That is very simplistic answer to a compliated debate,so a trophy for me is success above finishing 6th or even 4th.
2017 I believe we can win something,we have a squad bar strikers to compete on all 4 fronts and still battle top 4 or above.Saying that I wouldnt sack anyone if we only manage 6th or even less and went pot-less.Just keep the good attacking style we have found again and this native will remain completly happy regardless.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Oh here we go....nail your colours to the mast time!!

'Realistic' best case scenario....we win the FA Cup, finish top 3 in the league, hopefully win it, and do well in the CL quarter finals or better.

Priorities (bearing in mind finances are a big issue with the Stadium build, attracting world class talent etc.)
1. Win the Premier league/Champions league
2. Top 4 finish in the league
3. Win the FA Cup
4. Win the League Cup

But to be honest, I'm just looking forward to hopefully building on what we did last season, against better, likely tougher opposition next season.

There will be as ever, games to celebrate and savour and times when it doesn't go so well. But my support is unconditional, we're heading in the right direction and probably only about halfway through the project. I'm just looking forward to it already.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Oh here we go....nail your colours to the mast time!!

'Realistic' best case scenario....we win the FA Cup, finish top 3 in the league, hopefully win it, and do well in the CL quarter finals or better.

Priorities (bearing in mind finances are a big issue with the Stadium build, attracting world class talent etc.)
1. Win the Premier league/Champions league
2. Top 4 finish in the league
3. Win the FA Cup
4. Win the League Cup

But to be honest, I'm just looking forward to hopefully building on what we did last season, against better, likely tougher opposition next season.

There will be as ever, games to celebrate and savour and times when it doesn't go so well. But my support is unconditional, we're heading in the right direction and probably only about halfway through the project. I'm just looking forward to it already.
Thing is league cup starts sept so you have to have it as a high priority from then before you see whats going on in the league or CL group stages.I agree its 4th on the scale but 2 things i didnt like last year rotating the fcuk out of the side for arse in the league cup and losing and the side we sent to dortmund.If we are going to shuffle the pack it has to be better than fazio in the back 4 and chadli or son upfront.I know we have to rotate but we have to have the sensible options to bring in.Wanyama is a def plus in that regard but we still need at least one striker option and with rumours of Jan`s injury either carter-vickers to be trusted enough or a 4th quality CB as cover or as a reasonable rotationable asset.
I dont mind when we lose (much!) but I dont like when we go half in and not have a go and thats league cup or europa league.If we fix the weakness in cover we can chase all 4 competitions.I am really not into I am glad we lost to palace rather than draw and get a replay to ease fixtures,more games we have means better we are.I dont see why neccessarily Pool have a big advantage not being in europe,for PL its still same best 11 week in and out,how do you keep 25 players involved if you only have 42 games in a season vs playing 50-60 as we will.Its such a minor advantage not flying mid week..
Below top 6 i will be disappointed if we dont win a pot,but as long as progress is maintained with the team then i am happy.We have to expect some of united,city,liverpool,everton,chelsea to not be so dire this year,what i am politely saying is top 4 is gonna be task to achieve,so as usual unconditional support if we give it a go.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Thing is league cup starts sept so you have to have it as a high priority from then before you see whats going on in the league or CL group stages.I agree its 4th on the scale but 2 things i didnt like last year rotating the fcuk out of the side for arse in the league cup and losing and the side we sent to dortmund.If we are going to shuffle the pack it has to be better than fazio in the back 4 and chadli or son upfront.I know we have to rotate but we have to have the sensible options to bring in.Wanyama is a def plus in that regard but we still need at least one striker option and with rumours of Jan`s injury either carter-vickers to be trusted enough or a 4th quality CB as cover or as a reasonable rotationable asset.
I dont mind when we lose (much!) but I dont like when we go half in and not have a go and thats league cup or europa league.If we fix the weakness in cover we can chase all 4 competitions.I am really not into I am glad we lost to palace rather than draw and get a replay to ease fixtures,more games we have means better we are.I dont see why neccessarily Pool have a big advantage not being in europe,for PL its still same best 11 week in and out,how do you keep 25 players involved if you only have 42 games in a season vs playing 50-60 as we will.Its such a minor advantage not flying mid week..
Below top 6 i will be disappointed if we dont win a pot,but as long as progress is maintained with the team then i am happy.We have to expect some of united,city,liverpool,everton,chelsea to not be so dire this year,what i am politely saying is top 4 is gonna be task to achieve,so as usual unconditional support if we give it a go.
I'm just going to trust Poch to do what he thinks best, as he and the coaching staff will know more than anyone else about the state of fitness and mind of the players, what the club wants to achieve and how best to get there. Liverpool nearly won the league last time they had no European football with Brendan Rogers and more notably Suarez/Sturridge/Gerrard...I think it makes a difference, Chelsea have no European football either. The travelling, potential for injuries/niggles etc. is all far higher with more games and there is an accumulation effect in my view. I take your point about rotating squads but players and human beings in general can't peak for every game and we'll need to keep 'reserve' players match fit. It's very rare to a do a 'double' let alone a treble or quad....so whilst I never want to lose any game, I would understand the need for rotation, when Poch sees fit.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I'm just going to trust Poch to do what he thinks best, as he and the coaching staff will know more than anyone else about the state of fitness and mind of the players, what the club wants to achieve and how best to get there. Liverpool nearly won the league last time they had no European football with Brendan Rogers and more notably Suarez/Sturridge/Gerrard...I think it makes a difference, Chelsea have no European football either. The travelling, potential for injuries/niggles etc. is all far higher with more games and there is an accumulation effect in my view. I take your point about rotating squads but players and human beings in general can't peak for every game and we'll need to keep 'reserve' players match fit. It's very rare to a do a 'double' let alone a treble or quad....so whilst I never want to lose any game, I would understand the need for rotation, when Poch sees fit.
I do agree,but just not that fazio was ever the answer :D I am sure Poch learnt more from those defeats,especially the arse one.TBH even giving a couple of kids a go and gaining experience could have justified it more.
I totally trust poch,especially that those few weak areas will be addressed by augusts end.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I do agree,but just not that fazio was ever the answer :D I am sure Poch learnt more from those defeats,especially the arse one.TBH even giving a couple of kids a go and gaining experience could have justified it more.
I totally trust poch,especially that those few weak areas will be addressed by augusts end.
People forget that Poch is still only 44 himself and still learning by experience. Your excellent article reveals so many traits of his excellent man-management. I hope he gets the backing, in terms of players to ultimately become as successful as Mourinho who is now 53...Klopp is 49, Pep..45, Antonio Conte 46.....new breed of young managers. Wenger is 67 in October.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Good football is paramount.

Success is not being embarrassed in Europe and being strong until the last in the league.

I don't want to sound like i think CL is the be all and end all but it's imperative that we requalify, so a top 4 place for me is successful.

I don't think we can realistically expect our lads to compete on all 4 fronts. I think the league cup will be our development side and youth team given a chance until a time when that is all we have to play for.

The FA cup should be taken more seriously with the substitutes and those on the fringes being first choice give the first 11 who represent in the league and CL a reasonable rest.

I'd like poch to develop more of a plan for when teams park the bus. The way we play needs to be adaptable and although we didn't play well towards the end of the campaign I think teams figured us out a bit.

I'd love to see "Spursy" player brought in who will tantalise and excite the fans. Just like Payer did for the Spammers last season.

Bale was the last..... we're due another.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I'd love to see "Spursy" player brought in who will tantalise and excite the fans. Just like Payer did for the Spammers last season.

Bale was the last..... we're due another.
I agree with your overall view especially the CL bit which will be needed to fill the new stadium and for the finance, in response to the last bit - Dele Alli?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I agree with your overall view especially the CL bit which will be needed to fill the new stadium and for the finance, in response to the last bit - Dele Alli?
He's fantastic mate but he i also don't want to out that pressure on him.

He very well could be but that'd be one seriously meteoric rise if it was it happen this year.

I think the more likely ne to seriously upset the apple cart and turn heads wold be Dier.

His form has not faltered on the international stage and if anything got better.

He could be the one that sets clubs sniffing.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
He's fantastic mate but he i also don't want to out that pressure on him.

He very well could be but that'd be one seriously meteoric rise if it was it happen this year.

I think the more likely ne to seriously upset the apple cart and turn heads wold be Dier.

His form has not faltered on the international stage and if anything got better.

He could be the one that sets clubs sniffing.
I agree, but Dier is ultimately in the Beckenbauer/Bobby Moore mold...it's attacking midfielders and strikers that get the heart racing...Gazza, Van der Vaart, Hoddle, Bale stylie...I also hope that Lamela has a top season.....he was almost there in several games last season, could be a great year for him, he's got the talent.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
In my opinion last season was successful. I am confident that next season we will be better. There is no reason why we can't have a good crack at a trophy, I don't care which one, I am not elitist about silverware, if I see Hugo lift anything shiny next season and wave it at me I will be totally chuffed. OK, if he wrapped his todger in silver foil and waved that around I would be less happy, but that probably won't happen.

It would be great to cement our position in the top 4, but it will be tough. Liverpool will not continue to be total tossers, United and the chavs will be like wounded cats that have accidentally been injured when they wandered into my garden, they get right grumpy and have to be treated carefully. I don't expect Leicester to be anywhere near top four next season, but who knows, if next season is anything like the mentalness of last season maybe they will.

We had one bad PL game last year, it caused many numpties to go mental mad crazy, if we only have one bad game and improve on a few of the draws we got last year it will be cushty.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
I think we're at the stage now where a wee trophy would cement us at the absolute top end. Having said that if next season is as good as last season I'll be more than happy. Out of the CL group would be great.

ParkLaneMick

ParkLaneMick

Player in Training.
Top 6
Good run in the CL
Win the FA or League Cup
Say goodbye to the Lane

Cant see us getting near top 4 this time around and praying HK lives up to expectations! Wanna see some good cup runs for a change!

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Predicting a league position is too much for me this season as there could be a shit load of clubs playing good football or picking up lots of points playing bad football (Manure). I'd be happy if we are consistent in our league performances whether that means 1st or 6th I don't know as I expect Chelsea, Liverpool, Manure, and Shiteh to all be better this season and Everton too. Then there's still the goons and spammers to think about and Leicester too. I think the league will be super competitive this season so I'd say being consistent in our performances will be good enough for me. I just like watching nice football you see. Aside from the PL a good run in the CL to get us all excited, and one of the two domestic trophies would make a bloody good season for me.

So really finishing anywhere between 1st and 5th could be a success depending on what else happens. If we finish 1st in the league but bomb out of the CL and other cups it's a success, if we finish 4th and have a good run in the CL playing good football then I'd call that a success too. Also if we end up 5th it can still be a success with a good CL run and the FA or League cup.

So that clears that up then!

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Tough to make any predictions where we will finish.

Other teams will be improving, I don't really know much about that Conte chap but I doubt the Chavs could do any worse then last year.

Klopp of Bindipperland now he has got his feet under the table could do well.

The Guidiola bloke at Shitty head to head with Mourinho of Manure (Whom I suspect his mystic special one powers died the day we beat his lot 5-2, post match interview he was a broken man and never been the same since)

Oh, and there is Wenger of House Scum, probably worth a mention.

Everton and the pikey council house tennants could push on this season too.

Our players must be knackered and I would wager that Pochettino won't be best pleased with the time he has had pre-season with most of the squad and is probably making them do 5 training sessions a day to make up time.

So with that in mind, things are tough, however a title is not out of the question, we didn't kill off teams early in the season last year and we had a bit of a shaky last couple of games but will be stronger for it and more expereinced.

So a meassure of success will be the following;

Win at least the first 11 games of the PL - Beat our own record
Do not lose a PL game all season - Like the scum did but in a more competitive league
Win PL
Win FA Cup
Win CL
Win League Cup

After all, we may not win the league too often, but when we do, we do it properly.