By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Eric Dier

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Does he need the money from the book?

It's an unnecessary distraction and a major break from the club's zero leak policy.

Soz but I don't agree with this shit. If it was in 5 years when he takes about players now making demands and he fucked them off etc then fine. Arry could release a book now about what went on in his time as it's historical and wouldn't matter a shit either way.

This will and it does.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Let's get this thread back on topic. Eric Dier! England skipper at 23 years old, clean sheet against Germany, astounding, clean sheet against Brazil fucking mega-outstanding!

There was some really toxic bollocks aimed at him last year by so-called Spurs fans, will they retract their unfounded criticisms? No of course they fucking won't, it is a modern trait that no matter how wrong you were, no matter how big a fuck up you made voting, speaking in parliament or gobbing off brainlessly about one of our players the cunts will never admit they were wrong. I was wrong once and because I am a chap of immense character I admit that. Yes, I was wrong about anchovies, I had only tasted those foul salty fuckers they put on pizzas and then I tried a proper anchovy, now whenever I go to Spanielland I eat hundreds of the delicious little fuckers.

Well done Big Eric, keep it up mate and you will grow into an International and more importantly Spurs legend.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
There's been some talk of King Eric not being very good recently. He was brilliant again today.

Was better than brilliant! All out press came from him, tough decisions when victor is back

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Was better than brilliant! All out press came from him, tough decisions when victor is back
Our first goal began with that little dink over the defenders head under pressure. He’s a gifted player technically, just doesn’t get a chance to show it all that often.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Dier was excellent today. Really switched on. As said above, he's better with the ball than he appears. Also had several good clearances on tough balls into the box. Put everything away from goal, which is easier said than done.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Our first goal began with that little dink over the defenders head under pressure. He’s a gifted player technically, just doesn’t get a chance to show it all that often.
think its the tasks given to him in poch`s system,he has a great whipped low cross in him,decent hard and low shot,and can move forward and brush opponents aside,is it confidence in the game situation?his role? or more likely the fact he has played RB,CB,DM in all sorts of different tactical formations.For a young player to adapt in 3 years to all this at the start of his career gets overlooked because of the quality of others in the side.Just because he doesnt look outstanding he gets some stick from some,its not his job to standout playing with toby,jan,kane,eriksen,Dele,Son.He is bound to just become better and better with experience,no wonder Jose wanted to pay what then was a lot of money for him.Be a helluva lot more now.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
think its the tasks given to him in poch`s system,he has a great whipped low cross in him,decent hard and low shot,and can move forward and brush opponents aside,is it confidence in the game situation?his role? or more likely the fact he has played RB,CB,DM in all sorts of different tactical formations.For a young player to adapt in 3 years to all this at the start of his career gets overlooked because of the quality of others in the side.Just because he doesnt look outstanding he gets some stick from some,its not his job to standout playing with toby,jan,kane,eriksen,Dele,Son.He is bound to just become better and better with experience,no wonder Jose wanted to pay what then was a lot of money for him.Be a helluva lot more now.
Yes, I think he's a bit of a victim of his own versatility, which as you say is pretty remarkable given his age. But he's been essential to all of the tactical and formation changes Poch has made (remember when everyone said Poch only knew how to line up in 4-2-3-1?) and for me has a level of technical ability on par with Jan, which is saying something.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yes, I think he's a bit of a victim of his own versatility, which as you say is pretty remarkable given his age. But he's been essential to all of the tactical and formation changes Poch has made (remember when everyone said Poch only knew how to line up in 4-2-3-1?) and for me has a level of technical ability on par with Jan, which is saying something.
Have you read the poch book? Could be that the manager sees him as a CB and eric now sees himself as a DM,its not really a conflict in any way,but a distraction for Dier to keep shifting,I imagine in the next years he will have to pretty much make himself first choice in one or the other positions.It will happen depending on dier himself,if he wants to be DM he will have to work even harder to convince Poch,if he wants this and is willing to work to make it happen,should be good,or if he makes CB his own,no problem either.But he will have to end the confusion of being neither one fully or the other to kick on a level from being very good to great.

The only issue could be poch wanting a CB and Eric moving to be a DM if he doesnt earn that spot with us.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Have you read the poch book? Could be that the manager sees him as a CB and eric now sees himself as a DM,its not really a conflict in any way,but a distraction for Dier to keep shifting,I imagine in the next years he will have to pretty much make himself first choice in one or the other positions.It will happen depending on dier himself,if he wants to be DM he will have to work even harder to convince Poch,if he wants this and is willing to work to make it happen,should be good,or if he makes CB his own,no problem either.But he will have to end the confusion of being neither one fully or the other to kick on a level from being very good to great.
The only issue could be poch wanting a CB and Eric moving to be a DM if he doesnt earn that spot with us.
For me Sir Dier is a DM. He is brilliant in that role especially when he sits right in and sweeps up attacks.
He definitely has a place at CB if needs be to but I really only see it when Toby, vert and Sanchez are out ATM.
I do see Dier as annoying for poch as he does need to be on the field because he is excellent but it's very difficult with wanyama who he loves, vert and Toby. It's easy as the minute with injuries.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Depending on formations there's likely to be a spot for two 'holding' type midfielders, one more attack minded one more defensive. We have 4 players competing for those two places- Winks, Dembele (the two more attack minded?) Dier and Wanyama ( the two more defensive).

Take your pick, nice problem to have.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Depending on formations there's likely to be a spot for two 'holding' type midfielders, one more attack minded one more defensive. We have 4 players competing for those two places- Winks, Dembele (the two more attack minded?) Dier and Wanyama ( the two more defensive).

I promise you in 2 years Oliver Skipp will be in the squad also for this area.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member

I do think though Sanchez will put a real spanner in the works especially for dier if everyone is fit. Last season when we set up with dier kinda in front of the back two with wanyama and Dembele in front of them we were real hard to beat, but now id probably see us with a more true back 3 of Toby, vert and Sanchez, which if wanyama is fit means no dier (unless of course dier is ahead of wanyama). Don't get me wrong obviously there is rotation to be had and as we have majorly found out this year shit loads of injuries, but that's just how I'd see diers role fading slightly. I mean he has played 90 mins in every prem game this year bar 1x70 min and 1x10 min. It'll be hard for him if that play time drops drastically.

For me he has to be on the field, problem is poch loves wanyama and to be fair the guy is a beast, and Sanchez has exploded in that role and is gonna be hard to drop, even with Toby fit.

Saying all this though I prefer out current formation as it gives us an attacking 4, namely Son who gets a starting berth and in my humble opinion should always be in the team when fit. 4 attackers has helped ramp up our goals again. I hope once all options are available again we switch alot more though, keep the opponents guessing.

It's annoying cause as you say it's a great problem to have. Trouble is for poch it's a genuine problem as unlike Chelsea or city where sitting on the bench in a rotational sense earns you so much money, our lads need to play or they can see potential opportunities elsewhere. Bit negative that but reality all the same.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Big Eric has had some bad press this season, based on the occasional average game as far as I can make out. He owned Benteke today at Palace and was the epitome of calm authority in the absence of both Toby and Jan.

Massively underrated Eric, one of our core guys who will only get better. Top man.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Yeah I don't get the criticism about Dier's play today. I thought he was solid, less a few stray passes. Stayed with his man, didn't switch off, moved the ball upfield. Oh, and playing in a position he rarely plays. Thought he did quite all right.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Might be forced to RB if Trippier is injured and Aurier keeps up with his current nonsense.;)

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
He's a personal favourite of mine tbh.
I think he's a superb footballer. Great attitude. And as for wilshere, on a par with terry as one of the most hateful individuals I can think of. The arrogance of him to think he deserves to be at the world cup is quite frankly astounding. Says a lot about the way he's been brought up by his gypsy, cousin fucking family.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He's a personal favourite of mine tbh.
I think he's a superb footballer. Great attitude. And as for wilshere, on a par with terry as one of the most hateful individuals I can think of. The arrogance of him to think he deserves to be at the world cup is quite frankly astounding. Says a lot about the way he's been brought up by his gypsy, cousin fucking family.
you forgot mark noble !!

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Crikey, 18 months ago the idea of having no Eric, Vic or Mousa, i'd be seriously worried, especially during as chaotic a period as we're going thru at the moment. Just shows what an incredible job Poch is doing with this squad of players.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Crikey, 18 months ago the idea of having no Eric, Vic or Mousa, i'd be seriously worried, especially during as chaotic a period as we're going thru at the moment. Just shows what an incredible job Poch is doing with this squad of players.
Yes it does. And as a result of all these injuries to midfielders, as we approach midseason, Moussa Sissoko has arguably been our most important player. What would we have made of that even three months ago?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
All makes sense now, great to have him back at full health, a really good option at CB, not at DM mind.

Honestly its things like this that make me a little reluctant to write off players. You never know what's going on behind the scenes, and when you're playing at the very top level as these boys are, it doesn't take that much to put you off the pace. If it had been me, I'd have gone to work feeling a bit bad and would've been no more or less useless than usual at my job. When these players aren't at 100% physically and mentally, they get found out.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
While i was pretty certain this was the case with Eric, the club really do themselves and the players no favors by being so secretive. They could have come straight out and said his recovery from his infection and subsequent surgery was extremely slow. Whatever. I guess they have their reasons.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Honestly its things like this that make me a little reluctant to write off players. You never know what's going on behind the scenes, and when you're playing at the very top level as these boys are, it doesn't take that much to put you off the pace. If it had been me, I'd have gone to work feeling a bit bad and would've been no more or less useless than usual at my job. When these players aren't at 100% physically and mentally, they get found out.

Totally agree, although I had kinda written him off in terms of a DM role, a while before the appendix issue. It’s strange because that 16/17 season he was an absolute beast, spraying cross field laser passes and could get around the pitch in a fairly lively manner, and then the build up to the World Cup and then post World Cup, he’s been the complete opposite, hesitant on the ball, a lot more defensively minded in terms of his passing and lost a fair amount of zip around the pitch, just looks ponderous on the ball.

I don’t know whether he’s been struggling not just physically but mentally for a period before the Appendix. In my head he’s been bordering on very average since January 2017. Anyway, would love to see him back firing again, on his game he’s a great utility guy to have and clearly a very popular member of the squad.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Good like for the rest of the season big man, we need a bit of strength, guts and determination around the place.