By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Europa league 2017

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Graham_Roberts_2828026b.jpg

The draw for the Europa League will be Monday 12 noon GMT. We will be seeded as one of the top 4 records from the CL group stages dropping into EL along with the 12 europa league group winners.

Some teams already through; zenit,apoel,anderlecht,roma,genk,ajax,shaktar,schalke,sparta prague,st etienne,krasnodor,genk,olympiacos,athletic bilbao all from the europa league, and our old foes fiorentina barring a bizarre set of results are coming again! dropping in from the champions league with us are;ludo rugrats,besiktas,that german team with the unspellable name gladbach,rostov,legia warsaw,copenhagen,lyon,

Teams we cannot face I believe besiktas,copenhagen,lyon the other seeds from CL drop outs and already confirmed as group winners, Ajax, Roma, Schalke, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sparta Praha, Zenit

ICYMI,we are 22nd in uefa`s coefficient rankings,only Schalke,zenit,shaktar,are above us in the coefficient for teams entering the round of 32,man utd are just above us in the coefficient should they qualify.(liverpool with all that history do not even make the top 25 list :p)

The final when we get there will be on 24 May 2017 at the solna arena stockholm,sweden (cap 50,653)

220px-2017_UEFA_Europa_League_Final_logo.jpg

1024px-Friends_Arena.jpg
1024px-Friends_Arena_from_inside.jpg

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
So far tonight we are joined by PAOK,fiorentina,villareal and Osmanlispor.wow

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Not one team in this competition should pose any real concern. This is ours to win if we have a proper crack at it.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Fuck Champions league qualification, I just want to win something. I'd take this over finishing top four all day long. My eyes have seen the glory and all that.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
So far tonight we are joined by PAOK,fiorentina,villareal and Osmanlispor.wow
I Wouldn't mind a cheeky away trip to PAOK to be honest. The Mrs has family in Thessaloniki and Veria and her family own a flat near PAOK stadium so would be a reet treat for me.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Group qualifiers for round of 32

A Fenerbahçe Manchester United
B APOEL Olympiacos
C Saint-Étienne Anderlecht
D Zenit Saint Petersburg AZ
E Roma Astra Giurgiu
F Genk Athletic Bilbao
G Ajax Celta Vigo
H Shakhtar Donetsk Gent
I Schalke 04 Krasnodar
J Fiorentina PAOK
K Sparta Prague Hapoel Be'er Sheva
L Osmanlıspor Villarreal

seeded in round of 32 draw
G Copenhagen
2 H Lyon
3 E Tottenham Hotspur
4 B Beşiktaş
Unseeded in round of 32 draw
5 D Rostov
6 C Borussia Mönchengladbach
7 F Legia Warsaw
8 A Ludogorets Razgrad

So we can draw any of the unseeded CL drop outs or any of the 2nd place teams except man utd.
Personally away trips to paok or olympiacos would be nice!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Why don't we all just book tickets to Florence now and relax until February.....??!!

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
Wasn't happy with cl campaign but I'm coming around to the el nice away day and who knows from there

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Anyone hoping for Villarreal and a bit of Roberto Soldado action is going to be disappointed. He's buggered his cruciate and is out for 6 months.....get well soon Roberto.

Hapoel Be'Sheva who were runners up in Southamptons group would be a proper day out for us Yids eh??

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Wasn't happy with cl campaign but I'm coming around to the el nice away day and who knows from there
mate athens or thessaloniki come on over,its around my bday,if doris will let you out ;)

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Anyone hoping for Villarreal and a bit of Roberto Soldado action is going to be disappointed. He's buggered his cruciate and is out for 6 months.....get well soon Roberto.

Hapoel Be'Sheva who were runners up in Southamptons group would be a proper day out for us Yids eh??
villarreal or gladbach probably the two hardest on paper? possibly anderlecht again or bilbao next hardest?At least next round we will miss united,roma,ajax,schalke,lyon.Round of 16 will look a bit more interesting if the more well known sides progress.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
https://tottenhamonmymind.com/2016/12/10/spurs-wembley-and-fears-for-the-shape-of-things-to-come/
Spurs, Wembley and Fears For The Shape of Things to Come
December 10, 2016
This has been a decent week for Spurs fans. Two thumping victories, one of which was the most one-sided Premier League match ever, statistically at least. The 8 goals were the product of a return to the flowing attacking football that was a feature of last season’s success yet has often eluded us this time around. Rose and especially Walker were excellent, Alli a growing influence playing high, Eriksen too coming into a bit of form. Son’s goal against Swansea was a beauty, but for me it’s Kane who caught the eye. Rejuvenated after a much needed break – his injury could be the best thing that’s happened to Spurs lately – he’s sharp in front of goal, his movement a delight. We’ll put to one side the weakness of both opponents and the bucketload of chances missed on Wednesday to enjoy this after a sticky few weeks. And Toby is back!

Which leaves us a moment to ponder two enduring controversies, participation in the Europa League and playing at Wembley. It’s said that for every complicated, complex question there is a simple, straightforward answer – that’s completely wrong. But to cut through the blather and froth, let’s stick to the basics. The EL is a cup competition – play to win it. Wembley isn’t right for Spurs but it’s the only option so make the best of it. No, better than that, embrace it as a chance for players to shine and fans to get behind their team.

Granted the EL group stages appear part of football’s governing bodies’ long-term aim to suck every ounce of joy from this wonderful game. But this is straight knock-out, two legs, home and away, under lights. This is classic European football, as it always was. At Spurs we glory in the UEFA Cup triumphs, especially Anderlecht at home in 84 and the Cup-Winners’ Cup in ’63. Nobody says, ‘The UEFA Cup was only a secondary competition, cups are not a priority on the continent.’ Win something. Trust me, it feels good. Also, it’s time for this team to taste some success as part of their development. There’s nothing like winning something for players and fans alike. We don’t start again until February, by which time we can take stock of what is happening in the league and FA Cup. I’m growing weary of being locked into this commitment to futility where the aim is qualify for a tournament we can’t win so we can qualify again, and so on and so on. The lack of squad depth hampers a tilt at all three but it is not impossible. Better to aim high, did someone say?

It’s been suggested to me that this is all part of a cunning plan, that all along the EL has been Pochettino’s target. He’s spoken in this week’s press conference of the EL as a target. This is why he’s not played full-strength teams in the CL – we were never going to get too far so go for a more realistic target plus get top four, which generates more income than going to the CL knock-outs but finishing 5th or below. This implies Levy has had a hand on the tiller, mindful of the bill for the new stadium. Overused saying alert, but I tend to go for cock-up not conspiracy as a rule and don’t buy that argument. I do think Poch wants to keep his options open. If we had qualified without too much effort, so be it, but he’ll take the EL. Fact is, he does not prioritise cups but may re-think, in my view should re-think. Any which way, he’ll get to February then make some choices.

Wembley is partly about the here and now, partly a taste of things to come. The pros and cons of playing there are well-rehearsed but worth restating. For the CL, as I understand there was effectively no alternative. Technically it was possible but given the reduced capacity, lowered still further by UEFA rules for segregation of away fans, press and seats at the front it would have been a push to accommodate all season ticket holders, let alone go to members. The EL would be little different.

Next season, no one wants us. British football tribalism means sharing in London is impossible. Stratford is nominally public but West Ham made it impossible for that to be considered. If Milton Keynes was ever a realistic possibility, the problems in getting home from Wembley would pale into insignificance compared with a late finish in MK and anyway soon people would complain about playng matches in a small League 1 ground. Let’s get real about this.

So Spurs fans did what we have always done, from the 1880s and the Southern League onwards. We get there, get in and get behind the team. There’s carping about the support but just take moment. Not our ground, not easy to get to, record attendances for a British club match. 83,406 tickets sold for the Moscow game, and for a dead rubber over 62,000 people turned up. 62,000 Spurs fans. Atmosphere doesn’t come easy but Spurs took it on. Huge kudos to the block in the West corner who sang ‘being a yid’ for most of the second half. Brilliant.

I think that much of the angst around Wembley is about the future rather than the present. This as yet largely unspoken anxiety is better brought out in the open. Football fans don’t like change. We embrace the familiar, the comfortable. It’s not just about the football, it’s about pre- and post-match routines, who we sit with and where we sit, making the best of the journey. People complain about Wembley travel and rightly so but the Lane is hard to reach for the majority of us yet we do it because it’s worth it and because we’ve worked out a way to deal with it.
This is the thing. They are our choices, our routines, our decisions. I don’t like queuing at Wembley but 61,000 people getting away from the new Lane will be a neverending nightmare, yet we’ll do it because it’s our nightmare. These are hugely important to every football fan of every club, yet seldom articulated. Wembley takes them all away. Where do you eat, drink and bump into people even if they are not mates. Who do you sit with, and where? I am petitioning the club to put me at least 400 yards away from the bloke who sat in Wembley block 141 row 26 seat 232 or else I am not responsible for my actions. I don’t know Arthur, Steve, Mark, Dennis, Jackie, Derek or Graham outside football but I want to sit with them as I do at Spurs because it’s a great way to watch the team. This lies at the heart of the fan experience and we fear it will disappear, that our choices will taken away from us.
And underlying that is the growing realisation that as the home games run out, being a Spurs fan will never be the same again. I’m welling up writing this sentence, because it’s the first time I am committing these thoughts to the keyboard and thereby making them public. However good the new ground is, it will never be the same again. Maybe I’m over the top with this, because the club means so much to me, but I’m being honest. We fear those long-term changes too.

So let’s confront this. Enjoy Wembley, make the best of it. Let’s do what Spurs fans have always done, turn up and get behind the team. It’s part of our supporter DNA. Whether Wembley is full or not is immaterial. Keep prices down and get people in. And I may be a soppy, sentimental old lag, but the day my heart fails to lift at the sight of Wembley Way full of Spurs fans is the day I stop going. That’s not likely to happen for a long, long time.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
mate athens or thessaloniki come on over,its around my bday,if doris will let you out ;)
Yeah that's key ennit mate, if she'll let me out. The plan is if we get a Greek team we can go to see her family with the baby as she'll be on maternity leave and I can watch a game. Her isster is getting married in Thessaloniki in March or April too but I'm not sure when... Would be ideal if they fall around the same time but I'm probably hoping for too much there.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeah that's key ennit mate, if she'll let me out. The plan is if we get a Greek team we can go to see her family with the baby as she'll be on maternity leave and I can watch a game. Her isster is getting married in Thessaloniki in March or April too but I'm not sure when... Would be ideal if they fall around the same time but I'm probably hoping for too much there.
stag do at PAOK lol

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
A
villarreal or gladbach probably the two hardest on paper? possibly anderlecht again or bilbao next hardest?At least next round we will miss united,roma,ajax,schalke,lyon.Round of 16 will look a bit more interesting if the more well known sides progress.
ajax are gash I wouldn't mind getting them we'd smash them to bits

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
next round will be played 16 and 23 February.
fixtures around this are
11th feb liverpool away
18th/19th feb possible fa cup 5th round fixture should we progress
26th feb stoke city home

The round of 16 will be played 9th and 16th of march
fixtures around this are
4th mar everton home
11th mar palace away or fa cup qtr final
18th mar southampton home

Thats quite a favourable set of fixtures IMO which gives some leeway in selection depending on circumstance.

quarter finals are 13th/20th april
semi finals are 4th/11th may

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
So we got Gent in the first game for in the Europa League. I think I can see why it's easier for CL drop out teams to win this now!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Very easy to get to....20,000 capacity, they were a distant second in their group behind Shaktar Donetsk. I won't tempt fate, but really things could have been much more difficult than this.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Very easy to get to....20,000 capacity, they were a distant second in their group behind Shaktar Donetsk. I won't tempt fate, but really things could have been much more difficult than this.
You going then @Don Diaz? I'm considering it already.... All depends on money/baby/mother of the baby allowing it though.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
You going then @Don Diaz? I'm considering it already.... All depends on money/baby/mother of the baby allowing it though.
I don't know.......it's not really getting me too excited at present - probably hangover from yesterday's result? I might keep my powder dry for the round after which is likely to be a bit tastier? Either way it's about 2 - 3 hours on the train from London, so we can decide in the New Year?

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
I don't know.......it's not really getting me too excited at present - probably hangover from yesterday's result? I might keep my powder dry for the round after which is likely to be a bit tastier? Either way it's about 2 - 3 hours on the train from London, so we can decide in the New Year?
Read elsewhere that 400 loyalty points might be required. Does that sound right?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Sorry it's not a better away day for some of the fans but from a purely playing/travel point of view this is an excellent draw.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Europa League last-32 draw

Athletic Bilbao v Apoel

Legia Warsaw v Ajax

Anderlecht v Zenit St Petersburgh

Astra v Genk

Manchester Utd v Saint-Etienne

Villarreal v Roma

Ludogorets v Copenhagen

Celta Vigo v Shakhtar Donetsk

Olympiakos v Osmanlispor

Gent v Tottenham

Rostov v Sparta Prague

Krasnador v Fernerbahce

Borussia Monchengladbach v Fiorentina

AZ Alkmaar v Lyon

Hapoel Beer-Sheva v Besiktas

PAOK v Schalke

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Read elsewhere that 400 loyalty points might be required. Does that sound right?
Well it's 20,000 capacity which equals about 975 tickets, so probably yes if there's enough interest? In Monaco in November, there were about an extra 500-600 of us that sat all over the main stand, tickets were €40.00. To be honest the fun bit is the beer and sing song beforehand as well as the game. If i go it's unlikely I'll get an official ticket so I'll sit somewhere neutral.

here's a bit of other news, there were 'fans' in Monaco that actually supported Swindon Town, and bought tickets with Spurs mates on Stub Hub at £300 a go apparently. I think the club should make any resale tickets invalid. Tickets should go to genuine fans....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Well it's 20,000 capacity which equals about 975 tickets, so probably yes if there's enough interest? In Monaco in November, there were about an extra 500-600 of us that sat all over the main stand, tickets were €40.00. To be honest the fun bit is the beer and sing song beforehand as well as the game. If i go it's unlikely I'll get an official ticket so I'll sit somewhere neutral.

here's a bit of other news, there were 'fans' in Monaco that actually supported Swindon Town, and bought tickets with Spurs mates on Stub Hub at £300 a go apparently. I think the club should make any resale tickets invalid. Tickets should go to genuine fans....
stubhub dont do away tickets I am pretty sure.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
stubhub dont do away tickets I am pretty sure.
Well there were some lads from Swindon who reckon they paid £300 for theirs, but to be fair they were absolutely slaughtered.

Also met a giant of a Spurs fan must be 6'8" tall, he was also in Basle and seems to go everywhere - Robert Reid. Nice bloke.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Gent v Spurs on Thur 16/02/17 has been confirmed at 6pm UK time. Home match 8.05pm 23/02/17