By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Everton (A) PL Sun 3rd November 2019 16:30

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Have we ever signed a Jorge Mendes player? I don't think we'd sign Mourinho, either.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Definitely NOT a red card challenge from Sonny.

Possibly a 'tactical foul' which is NOT a red card offence, maybe it should be? More likely just mistimed.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

One and maybe the most important reason why this had to happen is if cards are upgraded on a ref`s perceived view on the extent of an injury,then cancel the Ball on dor and bring on the oscars,cos everyone will be acting to get a red card given.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
And the 2 points dropped from a winning position.....?

Absolute fucking bullshit decision by the Referee and VAR for not stepping in to correct a clear and obvious mistake.

The fact that Son was shown a red wasnt an issue it was the fact he changed his mind because of the injury, that's the bullshit part.

We would have appealed and won that decision either way...

VAR simply not doing its job is unforgivable... VAR OUT.

This is ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:
Style And Glory

Style And Glory

Player in Training.
A very good point that we dropped 2 points because of the ref's perception of the injury & VAR not stepping in.

Plenty for the League to sort out.

I guess it's part of the growing pains.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
The thing about VAR is that last season 80% of what the refs called was deemed correct. That means over the course of a season VAR should be involved in 20% of instances called incorrectly. Seems to me VAR has been utilised a damn sight more than that.
Also 'clear and obvious' seems a bit of a loose statement. To me that would mean 15/20 seconds at most should sort any incident. If it doesn't well then fuck me logic would have it its not clear or obvious!

Finally VAR should be so clear there should be absolutely no controversy to talk about after a game. Think it's fair to say this hasn't been the case. VAR incidents are discussed post match way beyond any ref incident through any season of football ive ever watched, to the point I don't even bother anymore.
Has started to ruin the game for me.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.

One and maybe the most important reason why this had to happen is if cards are upgraded on a ref`s perceived view on the extent of an injury,then cancel the Ball on dor and bring on the oscars,cos everyone will be acting to get a red card given.
Ultimate strategy: you have a player who you are going to sub. You let them know they are going to be subbed. They get a challenge and milk it for everything they can and end up going off (which they were going to anyway),ref sends opposition player off. You can't tell me that there aren't managers that wouldn't do this, particularly if it was a game that was near the end of the season or in a final.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Ultimate strategy: you have a player who you are going to sub. You let them know they are going to be subbed. They get a challenge and milk it for everything they can and end up going off (which they were going to anyway),ref sends opposition player off. You can't tell me that there aren't managers that wouldn't do this, particularly if it was a game that was near the end of the season or in a final.
Happened in rugby with "bloodgate" using fake blood to enable a substitution.It really would have been a call to more play acting if this is how cards would be handed out.
Seems to be some confusion,some saying VAR alerted Atkinson to the injury and red upgraded,others saying atkinson did it on his own.VAR clearly should have sorted it out correctly in the 5 or 6 mins it took place over.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Doesn't really matter what way you slice it the decision was wrong

1. ref changed his mind due to extent of injury - wrong decision, made emotionally by the ref. VAR didn't intervine on the refs decision even with an age to look it over.
2. VAR told the ref it was a red - wrong decision and VARs biggest mistake so far. Proven by red card being rescinded.

VAR looks an absolute shambles in this instance due to the fact this has been overturned. That means people using VAR type technology looked this over post match and came to a decision. This is what VAR is meant to do at the time.

It's terrible for Gomes, but this incident has cost us 2 points, the difference between 11th and 8th.

The one good thing is that it was rescinded which hopefully will allow Son to move on knowing that it was most definitely not his i fault.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Doesn't really matter what way you slice it the decision was wrong

1. ref changed his mind due to extent of injury - wrong decision, made emotionally by the ref. VAR didn't intervine on the refs decision even with an age to look it over.
2. VAR told the ref it was a red - wrong decision and VARs biggest mistake so far. Proven by red card being rescinded.

VAR looks an absolute shambles in this instance due to the fact this has been overturned. That means people using VAR type technology looked this over post match and came to a decision. This is what VAR is meant to do at the time.

It's terrible for Gomes, but this incident has cost us 2 points, the difference between 11th and 8th.

The one good thing is that it was rescinded which hopefully will allow Son to move on knowing that it was most definitely not his i fault.
Thought I would agree with VAR when it came out, but now I am so anti it,its a fucking suck the joy out of it mess of an idea.Watched a game where TV picked up a shouldnt have been a corner,WTF would have happened if the team had scored,it will happen sometime,then does VAR go back after a goal to check it was a just throw-in,corner,free kick,or do we add another minute to the wait for a goal confirmation while VAR works it out,or does VAR start checking every corner,and then the other scenarios when someone unjustly scores from a wrongly given throw,free kick.

Fuck V.A.R

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Thought I would agree with VAR when it came out, but now I am so anti it,its a fucking suck the joy out of it mess of an idea.Watched a game where TV picked up a shouldnt have been a corner,WTF would have happened if the team had scored,it will happen sometime,then does VAR go back after a goal to check it was a just throw-in,corner,free kick,or do we add another minute to the wait for a goal confirmation while VAR works it out,or does VAR start checking every corner,and then the other scenarios when someone unjustly scores from a wrongly given throw,free kick.

Fuck V.A.R
The ultimate issue there is this.... how far back do you go? Does it happen retrospectively? Imo if you are video reviewing a game you can add in video review post match also.... so what do we do now knowing Sons red was illegitimate? It potentially change the course of the game and the result. Do we replay the game? Are we retrospectively awarded points? Are Everton docked the points?

Something has to happen as a consequence otherwise what is the fucking point of VAR?

This situation would have played out exactly as it has now before the introduction of VAR.

So what is the point of it. How has it enriched our game? What mistakes has it eliminated? If anything its added to them, especially in this scenario....

FUCK VAR

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I was a bit on the fence with VAR but I'm done with it now.

Case in point...Tim Krul saved two penalties last weekend. He was well off the line when both were taken. Under the rules VAR should have called for both to be re-taken.

Son's red card was a joke.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.

Case in point...Tim Krul saved two penalties last weekend. He was well off the line when both were taken. Under the rules VAR should have called for both to be re-taken.

Me too, It should work but its being applied so inconsistently and it relies on incompetent referees to make the decisons

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

Did VAR get involved with the bogus red card? It seemed too quick for me, the ref showed the yellow, walked over to Gomes then came back and waved the red card,

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Did VAR get involved with the bogus red card? It seemed too quick for me, the ref showed the yellow, walked over to Gomes then came back and waved the red card,
I think the issue is that VAR (introduced to get rid of clear and obvious mistakes),did not resolve the situation, in the exact way it was able to be done retrospectively following the game.....
#VAR-OUT
#LEVY-OUT

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Don't know if VAR was involved or not. If it was, it got it horribly wrong. If it wasn't, Mike Dean got it horribly wrong and VAR should have stepped in.