By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Married to & Mired in Mourinho's Motley Mind

• Thread starter Style And Glory
  • Start date
Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I agree - more than Jol but not more than Poch?
Nah the pooch is special... tbh I was thinking for a moment that Rederrs got us the league cup..... but that was that Spanish chap who made the tea wasnt it...! I will remember his name one day.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Nah I think redknapp is like an open cast mining corp,goes in makes a pile of jobs and money,then leaves a huge scar on the landscape.His side was predominantly made up of jols,modric,bale,he didnt leave a lot in the tank for the next bloke,or are we blaming Levy?.the age of players left, for one.Look he did a great job,i am not denying that,and i love him for the good times,but he doesnt leave a club with something for the years to come,portsmouth,west ham,,southampton,qpr,,birmingham,think we are the only club he left that didnt go down or near bankrupcy.Redknapps legacy was AVB and sherwood,and the shite poch kicked out after 4 months.
Sounds like I dont like him,I do and I did for what he done for us,good man manager,squeezes every drop when it starts rolling,but he would rather sign a 29 year old who will make harry look good,and thats my main concern with Mourinho,.He wont take the time to allow Parrott or whoever to cut their teeth,because invariably it costs you points whilst they learn.There has to be some succession consideration for 2022,,we arent a club who signs people like the chelsea merry-go-round.Success isnt just about the few years of their tenure,and thats were I have Jol ahead of Arry.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I agree - more than Jol but not more than Poch?
From the excellent MyFootballFacts site. According to the awesome power of stats, the Poch was nearly, almost, not quite the most successful Tottenham manager ever in modern times. The top 10 all time managers by win percentage pre-wossisname who is on 80%, but we ain't counting his stats after only 5 games:

1575911137697.png

So, Levy has sacked the 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th placed all time bees-knees managers! 4 of the top 10 since 1898 have been booted by slappy!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Nah I think redknapp is like an open cast mining corp,goes in makes a pile of jobs and money,then leaves a huge scar on the landscape.His side was predominantly made up of jols,modric,bale,he didnt leave a lot in the tank for the next bloke,or are we blaming Levy?.the age of players left, for one.Look he did a great job,i am not denying that,and i love him for the good times,but he doesnt leave a club with something for the years to come,portsmouth,west ham,,southampton,qpr,,birmingham,think we are the only club he left that didnt go down or near bankrupcy.Redknapps legacy was AVB and sherwood,and the shite poch kicked out after 4 months.
Sounds like I dont like him,I do and I did for what he done for us,good man manager,squeezes every drop when it starts rolling,but he would rather sign a 29 year old who will make harry look good,and thats my main concern with Mourinho,.He wont take the time to allow Parrott or whoever to cut their teeth,because invariably it costs you points whilst they learn.There has to be some succession consideration for 2022,,we arent a club who signs people like the chelsea merry-go-round.Success isnt just about the few years of their tenure,and thats were I have Jol ahead of Arry.
The problem with all of this is 'definitions' and unreasonable fanboy demands. It's all changed now, a few years ago we all loved the FA Cup and it really meant something, now you're nothing if you're not top 6 and really it's all about top 4. There's only two trophies that seem to command any respect - the league and champions league and if I'm really honest I'm not even always sure it's about trophies sometimes. The chairmen just seem to want to 'out money' each other. My stadium is bigger than your stadium, and what is legacy, if success needs to be immediate. Poch transformed our success on the field, but arguably ran of juice, or financial backing from Levy. Mourinho might win us something, but I bet getting into the top 4 is his first target from Levy - regardless of how he does it. So whilst we all loved the football of the 80's Hoddle, Ardiles, Ginola, Gazza, etc etc that might nott count for much these days?

Except for me and a few others that I know, it does still matter. The team comes out in the second half to MacNamara's band and one verse goes....

Oh the whistle blows the cockerel crows, and now we're in the game,
It's up to you, you Lilywhites, to play the Tottenham way.
Oh there's many a team from many a town and some are great and small,
But the famous Tottenham Hotspur are the greatest of them all.

The 'Tottenham way' is about style, is about Billy Nic not money. I know that I'm naive in football parlance, but if we won the Champions League 1-0 in extra time after parking the bus against Barcelona, would that be a triumph or just a money spinning trophy. I'm afraid that whilst I like winning things, I like our style of football more. Perhaps we're all dinosaurs and are getting left behind. Well i'm not that bothered. If we carry on as we've started under Mourinho, brilliant. I might even end up liking his style of management, even better if we win trophies. But the General, Venables, Jol, Redknapp and Poch all get a clap from me, legacy or no legacy, and they proved that it was possible to be successful whilst playing with style. That's what Tottenham should always first and foremost be about.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
From the excellent MyFootballFacts site. According to the awesome power of stats, the Poch was nearly, almost, not quite the most successful Tottenham manager ever in modern times. The top 10 all time managers by win percentage pre-wossisname who is on 80%, but we ain't counting his stats after only 5 games:

View attachment 1083

So, Levy has sacked the 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th placed all time bees-knees managers! 4 of the top 10 since 1898 have been booted by slappy!

I haven't done the stats, but AVB - who I really didn't care much for is again one of Europe's top managers and now currently doing well at Marseille. I know his average win percentage across the clubs he's managed is nearly 60%..........should we get him back........???

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The problem with all of this is 'definitions' and unreasonable fanboy demands. It's all changed now, a few years ago we all loved the FA Cup and it really meant something, now you're nothing if you're not top 6 and really it's all about top 4. There's only two trophies that seem to command any respect - the league and champions league and if I'm really honest I'm not even always sure it's about trophies sometimes. The chairmen just seem to want to 'out money' each other. My stadium is bigger than your stadium, and what is legacy, if success needs to be immediate. Poch transformed our success on the field, but arguably ran of juice, or financial backing from Levy. Mourinho might win us something, but I bet getting into the top 4 is his first target from Levy - regardless of how he does it. So whilst we all loved the football of the 80's Hoddle, Ardiles, Ginola, Gazza, etc etc that might nott count for much these days?

Except for me and a few others that I know, it does still matter. The team comes out in the second half to MacNamara's band and one verse goes....

The 'Tottenham way' is about style, is about Billy Nic not money. I know that I'm naive in football parlance, but if we won the Champions League 1-0 in extra time after parking the bus against Barcelona, would that be a triumph or just a money spinning trophy. I'm afraid that whilst I like winning things, I like our style of football more. Perhaps we're all dinosaurs and are getting left behind. Well i'm not that bothered. If we carry on as we've started under Mourinho, brilliant. I might even end up liking his style of management, even better if we win trophies. But the General, Venables, Jol, Redknapp and Poch all get a clap from me, legacy or no legacy, and they proved that it was possible to be successful whilst playing with style. That's what Tottenham should always first and foremost be about.
forgot david pleat,i still say that season was the best football we`ve played in my spurs timeline.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member

View attachment 1083

Would the poch have been tiptop if he'd walked after the CL final?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
The 'Tottenham way' is about style.... our style of football....

That's what Tottenham should always first and foremost be about.

Maaaaaaate...... you telling me Redknaps Spurs side didnt give you a raging bonner everytime they went forwards.....?

For me weve never played more exciting football. Poch got close at times but we were devastating at times and ruined teams.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

I have friends with season tickets at various clubs,including charlton,rotherham,I quite envy them,they get football without all the head spinning shite.I love watching football,i loved playing football,I could walk in a park and if a game was playing I could stand and watch sunday league players.When I was a kid I went non-league quite a bit to dartford fc,did I feel hard done by,not at all,I just enjoyed going with mates.I still enjoy going and the day out,sometimes the football tries to spoil the day out,but call me old school,happy clapper,end of the day I dont go to see a result.Yes its always the aim to win,but I can happily shrug my shoulders if we lose.All this faux rage when your side has a bad spell,all this trying to prove you care more by getting angry and melting down.I got no time for it,i go for the entertainment and social.Yes the way we play is important,Way of the world is its becoming less so,its all about the win and being able to banter your rivals.

I especially enjoy seeing local lads or academy products we have raised playing,always been so since stevie p,john pratt,maxi,god,mason,winks and skipp etc,oh and a certain Mr Kane.Thats what I expect from mourinho,good football with a smattering of our own players.Cup finals and winning stuff is just the gloss on it all and a more mega day out.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Maaaaaaate...... you telling me Redknaps Spurs side didnt give you a raging bonner everytime they went forwards.....?

For me weve never played more exciting football. Poch got close at times but we were devastating at times and ruined teams.
In recent times one of the best matches and even better atmosphere I’ve been at was when we beat Inter Milan 3-1 at home. Taxi for Maicon and all that. White Hart Lane was literally crackling that night, a European night under the lights with us playing on all white.

so no I’m not saying I didn’t like Redknapp, (but Bale made that team especially exciting)I even got a banner made to prove it ha ha ha.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
In recent times one of the best matches and even better atmosphere I’ve been at was when we beat Inter Milan 3-1 at home. Taxi for Maicon and all that. White Hart Lane was literally crackling that night, a European night under the lights with us playing on all white.

so no I’m not saying I didn’t like Redknapp, (but Bale made that team especially exciting)I even got a banner made to prove it ha ha ha.
Shit yeah..... remember those days.... then he shafted us, lol...!!!

It was phenomenal watching us go forwards.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I haven't done the stats, but AVB - who I really didn't care much for is again one of Europe's top managers and now currently doing well at Marseille. I know his average win percentage across the clubs he's managed is nearly 60%..........should we get him back........???
No! Because, as you said in your earlier post, that Spurs style is way more important, I started to lose the will to live under AVB, I remember the long train journey home after AVB games feeling like i had just burned a hundred quid. Choosing between Harry and Andrew House Snake would be a simple choice for me - H wins every time., but AVB's results were better. Remember when then chavs won the Champions League while playing pony, turgid football and ending up 6th in the PL? I know the other place chaps would love that because they don't care about the beautiful game it's all about results, I don't get that but they have a right to be total wankers and I should respect that.

Will we see Wossisname revert to his old ways when the results are more important? At the moment he can afford to play Spur's style as there is no chance of a title and a slim chance of top four, but if we were in the race would we see WHL turn into a bus park? Time will tell, if he stays long enough.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Will we see Wossisname revert to his old ways when the results are more important? At the moment he can afford to play Spur's style as there is no chance of a title and a slim chance of top four, but if we were in the race would we see WHL turn into a bus park? Time will tell, if he stays long enough.
I could accept a couple of matches setting up to be pragmatic,say defending a 2nd leg advantage away at a big club,or at present away to liverpool in a one off game,but the philosophy cannot be allowed to change.Results over intent to play,if that happens I will no longer be a jose dicksciple.(not that I am,just content so far).

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Another win. This time away to a very good Wolves side.

He set us up to be resilient defensively & bite back when we got the ball.

Never gave up.
This bounce is still on an upward trajectory.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I like this Mourinho fellow.

Seems like a very nice man and a competent manager.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Winning ugly..........

Hmmmmmm..........

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Well, it's nearly been a month since Poch left. I've been quiet the last few months, mostly through apathy, because I just couldn't be bothered to reset my password as I forgot it. Partially because, well, if you didn't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything. That and I think I'd used most of my furore on Eriksen and his fucking lazy fucking dis... excuse me.

Honestly... I was very sad to see Pochettino leave. But... also not entirely surprised. The second half of last season _was_ a train wreck. We lucked out getting to the Champions League again, mostly through others incompetence rather than our own brilliance. This season wasn't any better, and as I somewhat expected had results not turned round by the second international break things might get problematic for Pochettino. And they did.

Then less than 24 hours later, Mourinho was here. He gave some interviews, and made all the right noises. But I wasn't sure if I was seeing the real Mourinho, or a thin veneer. Maybe managing Manchester United can drive a man insane. Who knows. Maybe dealing with Abramovich drove him to madness before that. I'm sure Levy could do the same.

I don't think we're still super far off a really competitive squad, but we're further away right now than we have been in the last few years. We need to buy intelligently, and maybe a bit of that star factor of Mourinho, and having a great stadium, and facilities, will all add towards the ease of getting players. Maybe we just don't pay enough. But if we cannot attract players with what we have as a footballing package, Levy needs to start adjusting his budgets, and then the buck falls on him. Maybe we can get a couple of these players in the next window.

I'll always thank Pochettino for the good times he gave us, like Redknapp and BMJ before that. I feel like I'd happy sit down.

Spurs have, in my living memory, never had what would be regarded as an existing, elite tier manager before. Maybe Pochettino would have gotten there. Maybe he still will, with his next club. I wish him all the best. I wish his successor the same, even though honestly he does have a face I really learned to hate over the years.

Still, least he can't beat us in the cup any more.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Given that his 2 league losses have been against his 2 former teams, I'm impressed that he hasn't lost his sh!t yet.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I get that he wants to protect the players and yeah the lad made a fucking meal of Son's inverted, vertical, double footed, waist height, off the ball challenge........... but to insinuate that it was anything other than a pathetic, petulant, selfish act is disingenuous to the extreme.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
After today's debacle, we saw a bit of his prickly side & in the post-match news conference.

The TW in open. Wonder if he still thinks this group is good enough?