By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Mauricio Pochettino

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...should-reject-manchester-united-history-spurs

Mauricio Pochettino knows he is the most coveted manager in football right now. I can only describe his comments this week about his future at Tottenham as a direct call for action to the club’s board following his show of loyalty. I understood Pochettino to be saying to them: “I have showed and I am showing my loyalty to you by batting away the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester United, but now if you back me financially I want to stay for the next 20 years”.

Pochettino has been at Tottenham for five years, which is rare in modern football and yet has spent a lot less money than rivals clubs who challenge for the Premier League. Jürgen Klopp has turned Liverpool into real title contenders in only three years and has had to spend a lot of money to try to bridge the gap to Manchester City. But Klopp has also moulded that team in his own image, with an exciting brand of play which we have seen in abundance this season. Pochettino has done the same but how much of building a team to win the Premier League is down to having much more spending power versus a coach’s ability to change the playing style, tactical blueprint and perhaps most importantly the winning mentality of the team?

3500.jpg

Pochettino has been a revelation at Tottenham but the big challenge for him is to try and change the mentality of the club. I’ve said in other columns that Tottenham have been a nearly club for too long. Reaching eight semi-finals in as many years probably exemplifies that nearly status.

Pochettino needs to try to mount the type of title push that Klopp and Liverpool are building while making sure they get over the line when it matters by starting to win trophies. However his call for action to “change the way we have done things in the last five years” is valid given the lack of spending by the board over the past few transfer windows. Tottenham need to become a winning team not just a great team with fantastic players. There are other managers who have built a winning team in less time than Pochettino.
For now I think Pochettino will stay – I don’t think a manager comes out and says “I want to stay for 20 years” if he doesn’t want to and I applaud his loyalty when he would be forgiven for moving to, say, Real Madrid. But he knows he is in a more powerful position if he stays and shows his loyalty because now he has the power to ask for what he wants and do it directly. He is very smart.

I’m not sure how much money will be available when Tottenham finally move into the new stadium but Arsenal struggled to compete for the Premier League for years when they moved to the Emirates.

Tottenham were the first Premier League club ever not to buy anyone in the summer transfer window so to still be competing for the title is a real credit to Pochettino but I do not think Spurs can continue in this way. If the forthcoming transfer window is anything like the last one, it would be unfair to expect Tottenham to challenge while Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea continue to add key players to the team.

Tottenham still need two world class full-backs and maybe another centre-back to make the next step. We have seen how crucial Virgil van Dijk has been to Liverpool. It is not always about signing star forwards and midfielders. Tottenham have as strong a front line in Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Son Heung-min and Lucas Moura as any other team in the league.

Chelsea have changed managers a lot over the years and are spending a lot less these days but they have been fortunate to retain some of their best players at the same time, such as Eden Hazard. Maurizio Sarri is one of those managers who can get the best out of players who aren’t necessarily world class which he proved at Napoli. It goes back to managers having to work with what they have got versus those who just have a bottomless pit to spend like Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Pochettino has now reached the stage where he is thinking: ‘I’ve brought this team such a long way but how can we go further?’ Now it’s about how the board react in the summer and whether he is given the money to strengthen the team. I hope Pochettino is supported. His loyalty deserves it.

4106.jpg

I can’t see Tottenham winning the Premier League this season because they have been dropping too many points against teams lower in the table but now he has made it clear that he wants to stay, next season could be a real chance for them.

If Pochettino doesn’t get the financial backing from the board, I’m sure he will make it known and put more pressure on them. He walked away from Southampton after building a successful team, which proves if the opportunity is right he is capable of leaving. But I would be shocked if he went to Manchester United at the end of the season if he is in the perfect position now to really up it with Tottenham.

I’m sure United are already thinking about who will be their permanent manager after Ole Gunnar Solskjær and if they don’t know it’s Pochettino now then I don’t think it will happen. Maybe it’s mind games but I don’t think Pochettino is that kind of person: Tottenham is his project. There is more potential to do something historic at Spurs by winning the title for the first time in almost 60 years than going to United to try to rebuild the club. Now he is so close to getting over the line it would be such a shame to walk away. Why would you go to Real Madrid, where they change their manager every other year, or to United where the rebuilding job is huge? If I was Pochettino, I would stay.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
If Pochettino doesn’t get the financial backing from the board, I’m sure he will make it known and put more pressure on them. He walked away from Southampton after building a successful team, which proves if the opportunity is right he is capable of leaving.

Not quite true though,he left when they sacked nicola cortese who had taken him to the club,he directly said if Cortese had stayed he wouldnt have left for Spurs,but he felt the person he owed his loyalty to was removed and he then agreed to talk to Levy.
His relationship maybe the same at spurs as at southampton,if anything stronger because of the period of time now,he may be loyal to levy above what he had with cortese,but he also has a very strong bond with the fans which goes beyond the normal platitudes dished out,chest thumping or badge kissing.
My take is as a person,a few million a year or many millions a year it doesnt matter to him ultimately,he isnt driven by greed,many millions in transfer budgets doesnt float his boat either,not saying he doesnt like to buy talent,but clearly he likes working on making talent,united,city,chelsea isnt football management its fantasy football management,may offer some success but for a "coach" isnt as rewarding as developing players to a point most wouldnt have bothered to try,cos you just buy someone else.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
The acid test as to whether he stays is in my view unknown, because it is whatever has been discussed and agreed between Poch and Levy privately. Poch signed a new 5 year £8.5m contract last May. That was probably part reward and part insurance for the club. I think Poch is loyal and expects it back. He's delivered on the regular CL football objective (rather than 'winning things') and now wants a crack at the next step. If Levy fails on unknown promises made, we could lose him.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I actually man crush love the bloke and read the article also about believing in the strategy, hope they do, otherwise it’s going to one cold afternoon for us lot down by the Thames. A good 4 or 5 nil thrashing would shut a few wankers in the media up. In fact probably not, they’ll say it ‘was only Fulham’ I mean not like scraping past Palace at home with their third choice keeper palming them into the net is it...?

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member

So simple, but so true.

Doesn't even matter what you manage or own.

I worked for a company a while back. Owner was a complete knob head. Micro managed everything, wanted to stick his nose in every design and always looked to tell you how wrong things were. Lasted 2 months, before I handed in my notice. Guy was gobsmacked I didn't want to work for him- kind of guy.. Hmmmmm, Jose Mourinho.

Owner I work for now. Knows everyone's name in the whole company 250+. When someone new comes in he comes and finds you to shake your hand and welcome you on board. When I started someone was retiring after 27 years with the company. He said to me you think you will stay that long. I said I'm only on a 6 month contract. He said don't you worry about that son, you keep working the way you are, and you can become whatever you want in here. I pushed hard to do right by him ever since, and he was right. I still have ways to go but I'm pushing to the top - Type of guy, Sir Pochettino.

Treat people right, they'll do everything they can to help you.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
So simple, but so true.

Doesn't even matter what you manage or own.

I worked for a company a while back. Owner was a complete knob head. Micro managed everything, wanted to stick his nose in every design and always looked to tell you how wrong things were. Lasted 2 months, before I handed in my notice. Guy was gobsmacked I didn't want to work for him- kind of guy.. Hmmmmm, Jose Mourinho.

Owner I work for now. Knows everyone's name in the whole company 250+. When someone new comes in he comes and finds you to shake your hand and welcome you on board. When I started someone was retiring after 27 years with the company. He said to me you think you will stay that long. I said I'm only on a 6 month contract. He said don't you worry about that son, you keep working the way you are, and you can become whatever you want in here. I pushed hard to do right by him ever since, and he was right. I still have ways to go but I'm pushing to the top - Type of guy, Sir Pochettino.

Treat people right, they'll do everything they can to help you.
Probably a good reason why most fantastic players dont even become even reasonable managers,or how people who havent even played to any standard can make it.Setting ego aside and treating players with respect must be difficult if even at 50 you could outplay them still.Accepting peoples faults and working to improve them is common sense,unless you take the micro manage beat them with a stick approach where they never learn or improve and eventually leave you (which can just be mentally they stop working with you).If you can be brutally honest,tell someone something,move on and not hold it against them,which means showing some trust,it works.Doesnt mean you have to be a hippy pussy about it,repeat offenders allow you to make changes cos you`d just move them on.

Say Dier is on a yellow card and all the numptys want him subbed before he gets a red,well if you dont show the trust,how can you expect him to do the right thing&reward you.Trippier royally fucked up against united for their goal,do we throw him out for a period or tell him dont fucking do that there again and put him back in?.I would take poch`s approach (if he thinks Tripps has learnt) and if he plays today bank on him being superb against fulham,than a mourinio who slags him post match and drops him publically.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Probably a good reason why most fantastic players dont even become even reasonable managers,or how people who havent even played to any standard can make it.Setting ego aside and treating players with respect must be difficult if even at 50 you could outplay them still.Accepting peoples faults and working to improve them is common sense,unless you take the micro manage beat them with a stick approach where they never learn or improve and eventually leave you (which can just be mentally they stop working with you).If you can be brutally honest,tell someone something,move on and not hold it against them,which means showing some trust,it works.Doesnt mean you have to be a hippy pussy about it,repeat offenders allow you to make changes cos you`d just move them on.

Say Dier is on a yellow card and all the numptys want him subbed before he gets a red,well if you dont show the trust,how can you expect him to do the right thing&reward you.Trippier royally fucked up against united for their goal,do we throw him out for a period or tell him dont fucking do that there again and put him back in?.I would take poch`s approach (if he thinks Tripps has learnt) and if he plays today bank on him being superb against fulham,than a mourinio who slags him post match and drops him publically.

One of the worst things I witness as a youth coach is other coaches spending the whole game a) instructing their players in every single thing they want them to do on the field and b) carrying on when they make a mistake. They don't actually trust the ability of their players to learn or their own ability to teach/develop players that will learn.

A few years ago I was playing in a team where I was the captain of the team and the only player over 25 (I was over 40) and the vast majority of the team were under 20. I was assistant coach with my brother coaching. We had had a whole lot of mid 20s to early 30s players leave because they couldn't handle not being favoured over the younger players. This actually suited us because it was our intention that these younger guys were really good players who could gradually take on ownership of the team and we could then hand it over to them and to another coach. I gave up being the captain and took on a reduced role in the team as well because we wanted to show them that we trusted them enough to give them responsibility.

It all worked well and now they are the dominant team in that competition and we're no longer involved. We could have probably kept those other guys and done a bit better in the first season but we would never have seen the same development in these younger guys if we had.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Treat everything as clickbait until proven otherwise mate. That is all you can do.
My family was in the english press way back in the 70s,before tabloids,before mobile tv news reporting (thank fuck),its a story I dont really want to go into detail,but my father was held in another country for "espionage",for 5 years,about 3 years in the press got wind of a story that hadnt mattered the other 3 years and we were leaving the house over fences through neighbours to get out&go to school and avoid the media scrum.They would doorstep my mum and phone,she refused everytime to speak and somehow even when you do that it becomes a quote of some sort i.e tell them to fuck off becomes mrs X sounded very upset over the situation....blah blah.I saw 1st hand then how bullshit it was..And now its 1000% worse for sure.Sport is just fair game, more so because a little lie no harm,its a game but it extends to everything now,just report a POV and not the truth or the story.
However that ally gold guy who reports spurs is excellent,is that him or the organisation?,if he worked for bigger bucks at the sun would he become like the others??Its like in the internet thread,you monetise the news,all that matters is making money on stories.

I bet cricket reporting down there is a shit show??

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Where's that vid from twitter of Poch celebrating winksy's goal?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
There’s a big article in the Daily Telegraph today by Jason Burt, on Poch’s lack of an ‘ego’ and praise for it. I can’t post links, not savvy enough....soz

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
We had a little row on Sunday, it’s over now and we’re in love again. So easy to forget that when we won the the league Cup in 2008 we finished 11th that season, behind Blackburn, Villa, and Portsmouth amongst others. Ramos was sacked 8 months later. I know that was football from a different era and winning trophies is still very important. But a seismic change has occurred, Mourinho will testify to that. There’s no one way to achieve success, but I’d rather it happened to us with Poch than anyone else, for he surely deserves it. I hope Levy can see that, because it could ultimately depend on him.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Poch is now saying that we need to sell and improve upon our current starters in order to reach the next level. Wonder whom he wishes to sell. It's probably Kane. POCH OUT!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Why is Sir Poch in the papers with his '10 years needed' comments? Is it leverage against Levy and the Players to provoke a reaction and motivate? I'm not sure it works and doubt much motivation should be required against Chelsea and then Arsenal......hope not anyway.

Stay cool and classy Poch.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Why is Sir Poch in the papers with his '10 years needed' comments? Is it leverage against Levy and the Players to provoke a reaction and motivate? I'm not sure it works and doubt much motivation should be required against Chelsea and then Arsenal......hope not anyway.

Stay cool and classy Poch.
well we`re 5 years in,just 5 to go

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
There’s about 3 huge articles in the Telegraph Sport today. As you might imagine with our media they’re all sowing seeds of doubt in one way and another.

Matt Law writes Tottenham players fear
Kane will quit.

Jason Burt writes Pochettino ‘Only a magic guy could win the title.

Sam Dean we cant assume new Stadium will bring success.

Thanks you bunch of gutter hacks. How tricky is it to write 2 pages of stuff of stuff based on a couple of bad games and obvious frustration. Any of us could have written it.

Just fuck off.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
From various sites

"The manager said some things at half-time and that was the turning point because he is usually really calm and collected," said Spurs left-back Danny Rose.

"He normally talks to us at half-time and this time it was like he was really sending us to war.

"That was one of the best things I have witnessed in football, his half-time team talk, and we kept going and that was the attitude he wanted to see in the second half."