By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Mauricio Pochettino

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
D3-uB_MWwAE3y27.jpg

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Some snippets of an interview Poch did with a journo for a Spanish publication. Journo said that he speaks much more freely when interviewed in his native tongue. A few interesting remarks in there.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Some snippets of an interview Poch did with a journo for a Spanish publication. Journo said that he speaks much more freely when interviewed in his native tongue. A few interesting remarks in there.

Very interesting, especially the bit about the players calling him up last summer and saying they wanted to leave:

And I said to the chairman: “I don’t trust the players who want to stay, not the ones who want to leave, because if they want to join a bigger club most of the time it’s because they are ambitious and want to win titles. That is the type of footballer Tottenham need because this player is going to give everything he has.”

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
So he did get an offer from Real Madrid. Kudos.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Very interesting, especially the bit about the players calling him up last summer and saying they wanted to leave:

And I said to the chairman: “I don’t trust the players who want to stay, not the ones who want to leave, because if they want to join a bigger club most of the time it’s because they are ambitious and want to win titles. That is the type of footballer Tottenham need because this player is going to give everything he has.”

We don't ever get the full story but it's hard to not conclude from reading things like that, that apart from any tactical or technical coaching ability, the integrity and emotional intelligence of some coaches can make a huge difference to their teams in being able to overcome tremendous odds as evidenced by not just Spurs but also Ajax and Liverpool.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.

If people have the time, I would recommend having a look at the full original article in Spanish or via translation, Some really interesting comments about football in general and also Ajax's approach, which I think when you read them helps you understand the second half of both games a bit more.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
If people have the time, I would recommend having a look at the full original article in Spanish or via translation, Some really interesting comments about football in general and also Ajax's approach, which I think when you read them helps you understand the second half of both games a bit more.
It's definitely a brilliant read, but tbh I liked his quote from today a little better:

"Thank you, football, thank you, these guys, my players … they are heroes. In the last year, I am telling everyone that I have a group of players who are heroes. Second half was amazing. Thank you, thank you, football. This type of emotion, without football, it is impossible to live. Thank you for the people that believe."

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Is anyone else just a little concerned about some of Poch’s comments of late? Or is it simply a case of him challenging Levy with regards to the future ambitions of the club?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Is anyone else just a little concerned about some of Poch’s comments of late? Or is it simply a case of him challenging Levy with regards to the future ambitions of the club?

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he would be "stupid" to stay at the club if they expect similar levels of success without changing the way they are run.

The Champions League finalists have not signed a player since 31 January 2018.

Pochettino plans talks with chairman Daniel Levy this summer after five years in charge.

"I am not open to start a new chapter with no plan, with no clear idea, with not being transparent," he said.

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.

I am concerned even if it is the latter. At the same time I fully believe in him to win the Champions League. I have never been so inner confident, and at the same time mentally conflicted. If he does not win the final after this pressure, I do not think it reflects well upon him vs. Klopp, as an example.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
"If you want to expect the same from Liverpool, from Manchester City or Manchester United and Chelsea. And you put the same expectation on Tottenham, and the people expect the same, of course, give me different tools to work. If not, I see the people working in the same way, in the future I’m going to be this guy. I am the most stupid person to work [in the same way as the past five years]."

The Spurs boss continued: "In the future in Tottenham, not being honest and to relate our feelings and our reality. That is the most important because in the five years we have achieved a lot of things and I think like I explained before, it was an amazing period. But now it’s what’s next, that is my point.

"Of course we are all excited now and it's difficult to see the future but the future arrives quickly. And if you are not focused and if you don't start to work and if you do not make a plan, if you don't anticipate the things, when you crash you crash.

"Of course we are happy, yes but at the same time we need to sustain working hard to try to create a plan to develop in the next year, five years, I don't know, it's Daniel's decision, to be consistent and to create a realistic plan for the club and to match the expectations from you [the press] and from the people because if not, our destiny is to crash. It's not to be successful like today."

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.
There is an element of truth to what he is saying but the fact he is saying it means I have to respond as a fan and play devil's advocate. His season was crashing in the Premier League. Yes, he deserves to be backed more. It is not the answer to everything. It should not be done via the press. He wants his achievement to be separate from Klopp's, and I hope he is backed either way, but the stronger position in my opinion is to shut up and beat Liverpool on the pitch.

People are going to notice that achievement if he keeps his head down. If he spouts all of this and loses the final, it damages his position.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
There is an element of truth to what he is saying but the fact he is saying it means I have to respond as a fan and play devil's advocate. His season was crashing in the Premier League. Yes, he deserves to be backed more. It is not the answer to everything. It should not be done via the press. He wants his achievement to be separate from Klopp's, and I hope he is backed either way, but the stronger position in my opinion is to shut up and beat Liverpool on the pitch.

People are going to notice that achievement if he keeps his head down. If he spouts all of this and loses the final, it damages his position.
Nah I dotn see it that way at all. I see it as him being realistic. Liverpool have invested heavily and reached roughly the same level we are at. Weve done fuck all and stood still for circa 5 years.

He is telling the fans and Lavy that he is now out of options and we need to invest in order to keep moving forwards and that if that isnt the plan he will be off.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I think Poch speaks his mind and his truth.He isnt a bullshitter,exactly the opposite he lives&dies by his own integrity.He is purely saying we are here,its amazing but dont expect the same thing to be repeated with what or how we have done this.And that is purley common sense,we cannot keep pulling rabbits out of hats when 5 or more rivals are pulling 100s of millions worth of players out of europes top leagues.I dont think Poch wants to have had a pinnacle and then slowly regress without giving it a go.That is what woolwich have done,slowly regressed through under ambition regards players.Our league position shows we are on the edge,we have had a fabulous cup run,but we dont improve this summer we risk not being in it to have a cup run in future years.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I think Poch speaks his mind and his truth.He isnt a bullshitter,exactly the opposite he lives&dies by his own integrity.He is purely saying we are here,its amazing but dont expect the same thing to be repeated with what or how we have done this.And that is purley common sense,we cannot keep pulling rabbits out of hats when 5 or more rivals are pulling 100s of millions worth of players out of europes top leagues.I dont think Poch wants to have had a pinnacle and then slowly regress without giving it a go.That is what woolwich have done,slowly regressed through under ambition regards players.Our league position shows we are on the edge,we have had a fabulous cup run,but we dont improve this summer we risk not being in it to have a cup run in future years.
I haven’t caught up with all the posts, it’s been a busy week!! But I reckon from what I’ve seen and read (thanks Alastair Gold) I think this analysis is about right. Poch has redefined the club in the past 5 years to a regular top 4 club and challenging in the Cups. He now wants a plan for the next 5 and agreed direction from Levy, to make the next step. Understandable. Levy sort it, it’s solely on your shoulders.

Poch most telling comment for me was we can’t be compared with Liverpool, City and United even Chelsea, we have ‘different tools’ ....... I think he’s saying give me the tools? Money or players or both. Because we have the training ground, stadium and management team. Need to get Stadium sponsorship and say 3-4 fresh faces, mix of experience and youth.

Bear in mind when we first started talking about ‘experience’ these guys were early 20’s now most of them have played in World Cup semi finals, and CL for 4 years, so it’s the last bit of quality we need?

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Now is the time for all good Levys to come to the aid of the club. Last chance to put up or fuck off. I hope he does support Poch, if not we'll lose him - who would be next to carry on with the project? There ain't not nobody who could fill his shoes at the moment and if he goes then I would expect to see many of our top players following him. If Levy gives him what he needs then I will forgive him - nah, of course I won't I don't do forgiving and forgetting, he's on my list and nobody ever gets removed from that, but maybe I'll move his name down a few spots.

I haven't got enough years left to start with all that hope and expectation bollocks all over again. We have the manager, the stadium , the training ground, 75% of the players needed to be proper contenders for any and all competitions, we just need the extra investment to allow the Poch to become a Legend and Spurs to stop being Proper fucking Spursy!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Now is the time for all good Levys to come to the aid of the club. Last chance to put up or fuck off. I hope he does support Poch, if not we'll lose him - who would be next to carry on with the project? There ain't not nobody who could fill his shoes at the moment and if he goes then I would expect to see many of our top players following him. If Levy gives him what he needs then I will forgive him - nah, of course I won't I don't do forgiving and forgetting, he's on my list and nobody ever gets removed from that, but maybe I'll move his name down a few spots.

I haven't got enough years left to start with all that hope and expectation bollocks all over again. We have the manager, the stadium , the training ground, 75% of the players needed to be proper contenders for any and all competitions, we just need the extra investment to allow the Poch to become a Legend and Spurs to stop being Proper fucking Spursy!
Nail on head

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.
Nah I dotn see it that way at all. I see it as him being realistic. Liverpool have invested heavily and reached roughly the same level we are at. Weve done fuck all and stood still for circa 5 years.

He is telling the fans and Lavy that he is now out of options and we need to invest in order to keep moving forwards and that if that isnt the plan he will be off.

Aye. I am saying he is out of line. Levy will say see ya.

Whereas, if he kept it private, more chance of being listened to.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member

Why the fuck should he? I 100% agree with him, Levy needs to stump the fuck up and give him the tools to do the job.

Its do or die for both of them in reality. If Poch is given the money and fails he is done. If Levy doesnt give it to him and we fail then he is finished.

It's a bit of a shit or bust situation.

Poch is obviously putting pressure on Levy to back him or sack him. Poch has nothing to loose as we've hit way above our level and repeating what we've done over the last 5 years is going to be more and more difficult.

I'd I was Poch I'd do exactly the same.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

I have to agree - a bit. I was surprised when I read this, the Poch is usually very tactful, this wasn't very subtle. Maybe he wants out and knows that kicking Levy in the bollocks publicly will help that process, maybe he has already tried to get what he needs privately and it hasn't worked.

All l know for an absolute fact is that Levy is a cunt. As usual I will add that I have no scooby what other cunt could take over and do a better job, unless we got a blood-money oil billionaire or Russian gangster to buy the corporation that used to be a football club. So, I am doing what I hate more than anything, criticising without giving an alternative, I sound like one of the Brexit wankers, knowing what I don't want but not having the faintest idea of what I do want. It's a fait cop, I am a cunt as well.

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.
Why the fuck should he? I 100% agree with him, Levy needs to stump the fuck up and give him the tools to do the job.

Its do or die for both of them in reality. If Poch is given the money and fails he is done. If Levy doesnt give it to him and we fail then he is finished.

It's a bit of a shit or bust situation.

Poch is obviously putting pressure on Levy to back him or sack him. Poch has nothing to loose as we've hit way above our level and repeating what we've done over the last 5 years is going to be more and more difficult.

I'd I was Poch I'd do exactly the same.

I agree I'd do the same. That is why I'd get sacked too. He shouldn't do what I would do if he wants a better long term relationship. I do not have any with massive CEOs of big organisations either, probably for similar reasons.

I have to agree - a bit. I was surprised when I read this, the Poch is usually very tactful, this wasn't very subtle. Maybe he wants out and knows that kicking Levy in the bollocks publicly will help that process, maybe he has already tried to get what he needs privately and it hasn't worked.

All l know for an absolute fact is that Levy is a cunt. As usual I will add that I have no scooby what other cunt could take over and do a better job, unless we got a blood-money oil billionaire or Russian gangster to buy the corporation that used to be a football club. So, I am doing what I hate more than anything, criticising without giving an alternative, I sound like one of the Brexit wankers, knowing what I don't want but not having the faintest idea of what I do want. It's a fait cop, I am a cunt as well.

I'd hazard a guess that he has done all he could privately and really does not give a fuck if he is sacked. I just don't think it is the right move, even though I agree Levy caused it.

Levy is a ruthless owner, but a good one, and probably backs himself at finding another manager if our form dips even if it is impossible and unfair and so on.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
We could of course be over reacting and losing something in translation. I think he’s simply saying we need a plan and direction for the next part of the project.

I remember a few years back Poch always talked of the objective - Champions League, the plan and the project. He’s now saying that it’s been delivered and he’s right. So it’s Levy’s move.....

What’s the next part of the project? Poch wants to know.....I think he will stay and build a Ferguson like dynasty, but he will need Levy’s help, and Levy needs him because he adds huge value to the club, that Levy is fattening to sell, for ENIC and Uncle Joe who is 82. Naming rights this Summer? And sale next season? Let’s see.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
If Poch leaves a lot of players do too I reckon.....
Yep, plus the signings we could have made because top players really want to play for him will not be happening. It would be a fucking catastrophe if Levy doesn't give him the wedge he needs and the authority to make the signings he wants.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
I am generally OK with what he said. It is the honest truth. He is putting pressure on Levy while he has a little bit of leverage. It might turn out to be a brilliant play. Of course it could blow up, but I don't expect that to happen.

What I did find weird was the whole Trippier/Kane/Lloris/Poch halftime at Ajax thingy. He basically flat out said that what Trippier said about Kane was BS. First, it's odd that it would happen, and second, it's odd that he would feel the need to publicly state it. Hopefully it is more nothing.