By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Oliver Skipp

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
One to watch !!
45E85D1E00000578-5039853-image-m-54_1509555731457.jpg

IMO the best prospect coming through,which is some boast with this current crop of youngsters,and no disrespect to Edwards,Sterling,Shashoua,Oakley-Boothe,Brown,Tanganga and Bennetts (and others!).

Here are some press snippets about the lad,
The 17-year-old is one of the brightest prospects in Tottenham's academy. He's been playing U23, U19 and U18 matches despite still being a schoolboy and he's been dominating midfields, not just making up the numbers.

By logic he should be one of the smaller, weaker players on the pitch, but despite having only turned 17 last month, the teenage defensive midfielder is not only technically excellent, he's physically strong and tough to knock off of the ball.
Having played against Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen and CSKA Moscow in recent seasons in the UEFA Youth League, he's looked technically good enough to play for either side.

He's represented England at U18, U17 and U16 level and is being tipped for big things by those within the club. In Scott Parker he has the perfect mentor to work with him during the week in training.

This season may be just too soon for Skipp, but if he keeps heading in his upward trajectory he will play for Tottenham's first team before too long.

Big things are being expected of 17-year-old Oliver Skipp by the academy coaches and in every way he is the perfect Pochettino player. He was playing in the UEFA Youth League last season as well.

On the pitch, the defensive midfielder is skillful, tactically intelligent, determined and never stops running and hassling the opposition. Despite his age - he only turned 17 in mid-September - he dominates much older midfield opponents in the club's U19 and U23 matches. He rattled the crossbar with a brilliant shot from distance in the first half at Dortmund.
Off the pitch, his maturity was clear. There were a couple of German football fans hanging around outside the changing rooms, looking for some selfies with the young Tottenham starlets.

Skipp stopped and spoke to one in particular for a while, asking the supporter plenty of questions about himself as well as he then began to clean his boots under an outdoor tap.

When that was done and it was time for him to leave, he asked a female member of the support staff if she needed help carrying some of the team's bags to the coaches. She declined, but it gave a glimpse of the type of player Pochettino wants at his club.
The Argentine wants to mould Tottenham Hotspur's identity in his own image - hard-working, ambitious types without egos who put others' interests before their own - a talented collective of players rather than individual stars.

It may seem like tiny details - taking the time to talk to fans and offering to help others - but allied to his undoubted skill with and without the ball, it's one of the reasons why Skipp stands a great chance of progressing through the ranks.

Pochettino is keeping a close eye on him and there's a bit of Harry Winks about him in terms of his intelligence, distribution and work-rate in the centre, but still only being 17 he's likely to continue to grow into a more physically dominating player than Spurs' latest England international.

From the video below he has a bit of Dembele about him,strong on the ball,and likes a challenge,also seems a bit more forward pass thinking than mousa,but then again it is youth football here.

Clearly comfortable taking the ball from the back 4,and finding a pass,especially straight up the pitch after luring the "pressing" player in to him.The tackle and pass on 1.28 in the madrid match,fantastic.Have to remember,he is one if not the youngest here,even if he doesnt look that,just 17 playing U19s ,and was still a schoolboy playing a lot of U18 games last year.

Definatly has "pashun"
upload_2017-11-23_4-8-58.jpeg

From what I have seen the last 2 games madrid and dortmund,very impressive,keep your eyes out for him in the near future!!

Last edited:
Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Read an article in the guardian a few months a go about future stars of the game and Oliver Skipp was one of the featured in the article. Said similar things to above but seemed pretty sure he will be a top star.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I hadn't really heard of him tbh, but having seen the clips above, he looks like a player, already very confident and assured on the ball. He reminds me of Eric Dier and if you're old enough, he could be our Beckenbauer.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I hadn't really heard of him tbh, but having seen the clips above, he looks like a player, already very confident and assured on the ball. He reminds me of Eric Dier and if you're old enough, he could be our Beckenbauer.
mark of a very good player when you are playing in higher age groups and bossing it.Ok players mature at different ages physically,but 16 playing against 19-23 year olds and looking the strongest unit out there,makes me very optimistic.Having watched both the U19 uefa with dortmund and Real,he stands out as a very good defensive midfielder,but one that can pass very well,not just move it on to a more silky player.I mean he is no clogger,win the ball and job done.
But then again we all rated darren caskey at a young age!!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Marcus Edwards - fucking hell he is mesmerising, imagine how good he would be if he could use two feet and take a penalty!! Whatever happens we cannot let a talent like this go.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

Oliver Skipp, 17, Tottenham Hotspur
oliver-skipp-1.jpg

After the successes of Harry Kane and Harry Winks, everyone wants to know who the next English talent to emerge from the Tottenham academy will be. Marcus Edwards, the brilliant little attacking midfielder, is well known, but the next one to emerge is likely to be Oliver Skipp.
He is a composed, intelligent holding midfielder who reads the game well and protects the back four. There is even a hope at Spurs that if he can add more physical power to his game he can be the long-term replacement for Victor Wanyama in the first team.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
He loves himself a little Scotty Parker Turn, doesn't he?

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
We got any kids that might actually make a serious impression on the first X1 this season?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
We got any kids that might actually make a serious impression on the first X1 this season?
Cup games maybe some,but we also have foyth and CCV currently as reserves,3 right backs with KWP,rose and davies as left backs so I think really midfield is where we have openings if injuries continue especially with winks,wanyama.I think skipp and amos maybe have a chance to be partially involved,but unless we go full U23s for a league cup tie,i dont see much hope for defenders,keeper and striker getting a run out from the academy.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I think Amos in particular could well push for a place in our regular rotation. He's good, Poch obviously rates him, and it is an area where we have some concerns with injuries. Also, like Winks, he's of an age where if he's gonna make it, he needs to do it now.

C

Chris Thornhill

Player in Training.
My initial thought when I saw Skipp's first touch on the ball against Roma in San Diego was, "that's a young Scotty Parker". I think he'll be an excellent player and fun to watch. COYS

Boone

Boone

Player in Training.
I like the purchase he puts on passes, no messing around.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Skipp is very impressive for such a young player. He's very aware of his surroundings, generally shapes his body well to receive the ball and then uses his first touch to gain space to deliver a good pass.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Amos's loss is his gain in terms of getting in the squad. He's young, and that position in particular tends to punish inexperience, but I guess Winks was 19 when he began to feature?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
... **something about if you're good enough, you're old enough.**
Yeah, exactly. He's a pretty robust-looking boy as well. We're doing fine, but I think this squad could use a shot of enthusiasm and energy, maybe he can provide it.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeah, exactly. He's a pretty robust-looking boy as well. We're doing fine, but I think this squad could use a shot of enthusiasm and energy, maybe he can provide it.
TBH I know it was CL and we were being schooled in possesion by barca,but I dont see how bringing Skipp on instead of sissoko could have hurt us with exactly that enthusiasm,energy,no fear.

In my eyes,he is the best young talent in terms of what he has,what he shows and what we need (until Parrott is 2 years older!!).If you watch him he bites into tackles,keeps possession,more expansive than "crab like" passing,can assist and has a decent shot.I am all for throwing this guy in at times to get him where we need him to be sometime in the next 2 years,with dembele&wanyama`s recent injury streaks sooner would be nice.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
How fittingly I found this article,or maybe he will get stupidly hyped!!

But there is no doubt that Skipp looks like a leader, cajoling and encouraging his team's forward players to press as a unit as he backed them up from centre field.
He is not selfish and looks to have enough sharpness to get to his opponents quickly.
On this showing, he would remind the older generation of Tottenham watchers of a young Steve Perryman.

I only hope that he can eventually justify this praise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...r-Skipp-soon-banging-Tottenham-team-door.html

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Christian Eriksen on Oliver Skipp: 'First of all, [he has] courage. He is not scared to get the ball, he is not scared to go forward and he is not scared to tackle. He's an all-round midfielder. And I think with a lot of trainig, as he gets older, he will be there.'

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Our Academy is starting to produce the same constant flow of talent that Southampton’s has for years. Good stuff, especially as we don’t need to sell ours....

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Poch “Skippy is with us because we really believe in him and in January if we have some injuries he is going to play. I don’t care if he is going to make a mistake or not because we really believe in him."

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He`s the mutts nuts isnt he !!!
I`m going to be unbearable :p:p