By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Oliver Skipp

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
DuPe7B3X4AUSuC4.jpg

Reactions: Yid
Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
Yeah they way he got in the way of that shot despite us leading 2-6 , unlike Sideshow Bob ,,against us , who thankfully to protect his hair , ducked out of the way . .
Yeah I’d love to see Parrot get some game time , maybe Boxing Day , if we go more than 3-0 up .....or,did he get sent off for that push the other day

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Recent (but a little misleadingly headlined) piece about Skipp, I thought the quotes from the Dutch U21s were interesting, as well as his praise for Scott Parker. Maybe a loan to Fulham, whether or not they win promotion, might be in order?

The path Jose Mourinho has laid out for Oliver Skipp to become Tottenham captain
The Tottenham Hotspur teenager has a bright future ahead of him at the north London club and everything will done to ensure he realises it
Jose Mourinho would have been made aware of Oliver Skipp right from the off when he joined Tottenham Hotspur.
Spurs have had high hopes for the 19-year-old for a long time as he's made his way through the youth ranks within the club.
Skipp, who comes from a Spurs supporting family, would have been flagged up to Mourinho in his first meeting with academy head John McDermott, who has since left for a role at the FA.
The England U21 international is technically excellent on the ball, can play as either a holding or box to box midfielder and is tactically very intelligent and disciplined.
Footage emerged recently from the Dutch U21 team's changing room at half-time during a match between the Netherlands and England in November.
This is the conversation that took place among the group of Dutch players during that break in the game.
"That Skipp guy is an annoying guy," said one.
"He is a good footballer."
"Yeah, really good footballer."
"Very good in controlling the play."
"He keeps turning like Frenkie (De Jong)."
"Very annoying, I gave him a little push in the game."
To get that begrudging praise behind closed doors from young Netherlands internationals, known for their own technical excellence, shows the ability the Spurs teenager has.
Skipp has picked up those turns, the little pirouettes, from Mousa Dembele and Harry Winks, but it's another former Tottenham midfielder, one who returned to the club for a brief spell as U18s manager, who left an indelible mark on him.
"It's Scott Parker for me, who I had for a little while with for the U18s when he came back as a coach," Skipp admitted to football.london in his first ever interview outside the club's channels.
"He was brilliant. Obviously he played in a similar position and had a brilliant career. He was someone that I could take advice from, learn from and soak up all the information that he was giving me. He was brilliant for that year and a bit that he was at the club."
Known as 'Skippy' around the club, the young, level-headed midfielder is held with real affection by academy staff and he's already proved to be popular with the first team.
Christian Eriksen immediately took to the teenager when he linked up with the squad for the first time during a pre-season tour to the USA two summers ago.
The Dane, despite having left the club in January for Inter Milan, made a point of congratulating the youngster on Instagram last week after he signed a new four-year deal at Spurs.
Not only do the club have high hopes for Skipp, but so does Mourinho who laid out exactly what will happen with the homegrown young star next season.
"I'm really happy [he's signed a new deal]. Everybody in the club is, his team-mates are, I am and Skippy is or not he wouldn't sign the contract. I think he's genuinely Tottenham's future," the Portuguese told football.london.
"He's one of these players by human quality, by personality, he is one of these kids that I have no doubt he will be an important player for Tottenham. Sometimes coaches are selfish and I told him that.
"I never told him I want him to go on loan, I always told him I wanted him to stay here, because that's the selfish perspective of a coach who wants the best possible squad. In his mind he wants to go on loan, six months, the whole season.
"He feels that he needs that, I also feel that would be good for his evolution, so maybe that is the direction we go.
"I think he can be more than a player, he can be a future captain here. Hugo, Harry. I see this kid being one day a future captain here by his character, by his personality. I feel really happy that he signed."

While Mourinho, and Mauricio Pochettino before him, have always trusted Skipp to come on in the final minutes of tight matches against the biggest of teams, he needs starts to realise his potential.
Tottenham's midfield is too crowded right now and is expected to get even more so this summer.
Skipp needs to be starting week in, week out to develop his talent and then return to Tottenham able to fight for a starting spot.
He has been bulking up considerably during the lockdown as part of that process and now Tottenham will look to get the 19-year-old a loan to either another Premier League side or a Championship outfit to continue his football education, as long as he can get the minutes he needs.
Spurs players of the present and recent past such as Harry Kane, Danny Rose and Kyle Walker have all become first team stars after developing on loan.
The loan route was not favoured by Pochettino but the club is looking to get back to that way of developing talented after seeing a number of younger players stagnate in recent years.
The hope is that Skipp follows in the tradition of Kane and is in a position to fight for his place in the Tottenham team on his return.
Mourinho has already marked him out as a leader, something he looks for in one or two young players at every club, and for Skipp to eventually replace Kane - himself having to takeover from Lloris - would be fitting.
"Harry Kane has gone all the way from the academy to being one of the best strikers in the world, if not the best striker in the world. He's a massive inspiration to me and the other young players," Skipp told football.london last year.
"He's someone to learn from and copy, to try to instil some of his habits into your game and soak up what he does.
"He's a top international and I think the academy boys look up to people like that who have made it from where they are now. It brings it all closer to home and proves that it can be done."
Skipp has now made 22 appearances in the first team, but he needs to take the next step as a first team regular and it will be his loan club and eventually Tottenham who will benefit.

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
Totally missed that he’d gone out on loan. Good team for him though, will help him with us down the road.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Totally missed that he’d gone out on loan. Good team for him though, will help him with us down the road.
I saw some of their fans raving over him today,mind you after Kane`s loan they voted him worst signing in their history.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Skippy will develop well there and probably be sold...

I like the lad and what he does. Love to be proved wrong.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Norwich (and Millwall) seems to be our proving ground..........good club for aspiring PL wannabees.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
Yeah I saw that not nice , it’s what happens when a good player drops down and come up against cloggers . Best wishes Skippy

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
He's only 20, the Norwich experience (top of the Championship) will be enormous benefit. He will be a great asset, if he continues to improve, in the future for us.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
He's only 20, the Norwich experience (top of the Championship) will be enormous benefit. He will be a great asset, if he continues to improve, in the future for us.
I didn't understand why he went out on loan... he offers more than Winksy imo. Yes he is raw, but he has shown he has the minerals in the championship.

Yeah great experience and I would only be bringing him home if there was genuine intent on playing him regularly... because he is key to the Canaries success and has the opportunity to continue his development and win a title...! Dont underestimate how valuable that experience would be to him... its also mean he was a winner and make him hungry for more...!

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
I didn't understand why he went out on loan... he offers more than Winksy imo. Yes he is raw, but he has shown he has the minerals in the championship.

Yeah great experience and I would only be bringing him home if there was genuine intent on playing him regularly... because he is key to the Canaries success and has the opportunity to continue his development and win a title...! Dont underestimate how valuable that experience would be to him... its also mean he was a winner and make him hungry for more...!
Agree 100%. I think he'll turn out to be a much better player than Winks imo. I'd say he'd get less space on the ball in the championship than the PL, which will just tweak any weaknesses he may have.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

This is a good point--it's not just about the quality of the football itself, but the experience. Being a crucial part of the team in a title chase at that level instead of a bit player for us. Plus they play good football, and--despite their performance in the PL last year--have a good manager IMO.