By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Referees again.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Another terrible day for the highly paid tosspots yesterday. We saw in our game the terrible inconsistency when the dildo awarded a penalty to the pikeys but ignored 3 worse offences that should gave resulted in Spurs spot kicks.

Absolute, definite, nailed on penalties were not given to United and Bournemouth. Shawcross should have been red carded and the ludicrous penaly awarded to Stoke was comical. The standard of refereeing seems to be to be getting worse We have the benefit of replays and slow motion, surely it's time for the FA to join the 21st century.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Jon Moss - Chief Wanker
Andre Marriner - assistant Chief Executive wanker
Mike Dean - Associate executive wanker
Mark Clattenburg - assistant executive wanker
Anthony Taylor - wanker

and so on......

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Jon Moss - Chief Wanker
Andre Marriner - assistant Chief Executive wanker
Mike Dean - Associate executive wanker
Mark Clattenburg - assistant executive wanker
Anthony Taylor - wanker

and so on......
You've missed that dick head Bobby Madeley...

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I go back and forth whether it's that the refs are getting worse (due to the pace of the game, mostly) or whether it's just that the multiple replay angles expose them to more scrutiny. Several shockers this weekend, as the OP said.

On a somewhat related note I actually just witnessed a referee have an anxiety attack on the pitch in my son's U9 cup final today. Started screaming for the fans to shut up and burst into tears in front of everyone. Everybody, including the kids, just stopped and stared. One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in the game.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
How the Shawcross one was not a penalty I don't know. If the referee isn't in position to see that he should be demoted, if he sees it and doesn't give a penalty, he should be demoted. Wilson did well not to have a brain explosion after it wasn't given.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Based on the fact that we have to have a referee in our matches, it might be worth looking at the other side of the coin? Out of the present list of muppets in the middle who actually does the most reasonable job consistently? This is the full list below, with age, appointment date and accreditation....I have highlighted those that I consider the least worst....

Martin Atkinson 43 2005 FIFA Generally reliable?
Mark Clattenburg 39 2004 FIFA, UEFA After his howler at Old Trafford in the early years, mostly OK and reffed the 'Battle of the Bridge', keeping 22 players on the pitch, somehow.
Mike Dean 46 2001 UEFA We seem to do well when he's in charge, mostly.
Phil Dowd 51 2001 UEFA Big Phil, seems like a good lad
Roger East 49 2013 UEFA
Chris Foy 52 2001 Total wanker, never forgiven for Stoke away, note no accreditation
Kevin Friend 43 2009 UEFA
Mike Jones 46 2008 UEFA
Robert Madley 29 2013 Ruined the recent Leicester home game. Not up to it.
Andre Marriner 44 2005 FIFA
Lee Mason 43 2006
Jonathan Moss 44 2011
Michael Oliver 29 2010 FIFA Seems generally reliable.
Craig Pawson 35 2013 FIFA
Lee Probert 42 2007 FIFA
Neil Swarbrick 49 2011
Anthony Taylor 36 2010 FIFA

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
How the Shawcross one was not a penalty I don't know. If the referee isn't in position to see that he should be demoted, if he sees it and doesn't give a penalty, he should be demoted. Wilson did well not to have a brain explosion after it wasn't given.
I just watched MOTD from the weekend and so I only just saw this one. Really was a shocker.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
... and a fight starts again because a referee lets the dirty chav cunts get away with murder, again. Of course Ageuro was a total kunt and deserved a ref card, but if the ref had sent that dirty cunt Louise off in the first half when he blatantly and in front of the ref brings Ageuro down then that would not of happened. Fabregas is a girly little cunt, he gave Fernandino a little slap and probably was gobbing off again to goad him, I think most folks wouid have fed the cunt his teeth. Conte should gave been off with at least 3 yellow cards and City were denied a very probable penalty, so I am not remotely surprised that it kicked off. How did Chalobah not get a red, surely that will be given retrospectively?

Fucking appalling, cowardly refereeing, again.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I don't get it..........
Horror tackle like Augero's = Red
Push some soppy fuck over a hording = Red
Gob off like a petulant fuck = Red

Why the fuck didn't we see some punches. Punches = Red + satisfaction + recognition that if you try shit with me I will eat you fucking heart right out of your chest.....?

Said it before and I will say it again... there is not enough punch ups in the modern game.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
How the fuck Rojo wasn't sent off for his two-footed challenge a foot off the ground at Everton today, I'll never know.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I havent looked yet today,but some how I doubt fabregas and chalobah will get bans for the slap on the face and pushing a player over,neither will zlatan for that snidey stamp,rojo escapes cos the ref gave a yellow.Also how that guy who kung fu-ed walker didnt even get a card?cos he didnt mean it tony gale said on commentary,FFS he kicked him in the eye,and walker wasnt lying down.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I havent looked yet today,but some how I doubt fabregas and chalobah will get bans for the slap on the face and pushing a player over,neither will zlatan for that snidey stamp,rojo escapes cos the ref gave a yellow.Also how that guy who kung fu-ed walker didnt even get a card?cos he didnt mean it tony gale said on commentary,FFS he kicked him in the eye,and walker wasnt lying down.
Come on, you can't be suggesting that professional footballers ought to be able to control who or what they kick...

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I haven't seen Phil Dowd for a while. My favourite ref by a mile. I see he is listed. Does anyone know what he is up to?

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Yeh that's a shame about Dowd. He was always pretty animated when he reffed like so many of them but he always looked in control and always seemed to have respect of the players.
If I can tho, Madley at the weekend was terrible. Not sure if it was because he just is a poor referee or whether he is a victim of the rules of the game today which leave so much to interpretation.
Take the shirt pulling thing. Pretty blatant penalty for us on Sunday was denied, Rojo on Wanyama. But later in the game a manure player was booked for the same offence further out the field. Neville was commentating and said he could understand why the pen wasn't giving because of the "way Wanyama's shirt was pulled". Really Gary???? Fucking listen to yourself!! Embarrasssing. Are the refs really poor or do they have a truly impossible job to do. Personally, I think its a little of both

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
I thought he had a shocker too, there was just so many bad decisions

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Yeh that's a shame about Dowd. He was always pretty animated when he reffed like so many of them but he always looked in control and always seemed to have respect of the players.
If I can tho, Madley at the weekend was terrible. Not sure if it was because he just is a poor referee or whether he is a victim of the rules of the game today which leave so much to interpretation.
Take the shirt pulling thing. Pretty blatant penalty for us on Sunday was denied, Rojo on Wanyama. But later in the game a manure player was booked for the same offence further out the field. Neville was commentating and said he could understand why the pen wasn't giving because of the "way Wanyama's shirt was pulled". Really Gary???? Fucking listen to yourself!! Embarrasssing. Are the refs really poor or do they have a truly impossible job to do. Personally, I think its a little of both

I think holding in the box can be quite hard to pick up as I'm guessing players have a look at where the referee is standing and have a good idea of what they can get away with given that it's quite easy to impede someone enough to not get to the ball without it being obvious unless your in the right position. Look at how much Jan gets away with, he's an expert at it.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
I think holding in the box can be quite hard to pick up as I'm guessing players have a look at where the referee is standing and have a good idea of what they can get away with given that it's quite easy to impede someone enough to not get to the ball without it being obvious unless your in the right position. Look at how much Jan gets away with, he's an expert at it.
You're right mate about Vertonghen, he'll get caught doing it sooner or later. I have to say tho, some of the stuff in the box that players get away with is blatant. Free kicks are handed out like confetti for the same stuff further out the pitch. I suppose that's the frustrating thing for me, a foul is a foul regardless of where it happens.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
I was talking last night in the pub with mates who support Leicester LFc, a Chelski , an arse and Man U , and came up with the discussion of who has benefitted from refereeing decisions.......

Spurs....FOR ... Deles dive against Swansea
AGAINST .....TAYLOR getting away with MMA kick on Walker against Swansea and Roho trying to get Wanyamas shirt ......Le Arse goal, offside( by real old drool rules

Arsenal For.......Burnley 93rd minute handball /offside goal........ V Soton dodgy late penalty winning goal.......V us an offside goal see above
Lucky against Borough

Chelski......first three games Costa scored winning goals and in all 3 games could/should have been sent off.......Luis should have been sent off v City, and Chembolah, retaliated to Augeros tackle and Fabregas slapped a guy, no better than Dembeles, yet one get a 6 game ban, Fabregas gets nowt, last night scores the winner........they play us, without Toby, Rose or Davies, and where does the inner come from.....

Man Utd 2 despicable 2 footed lunges and still can't get Christmas off to visit home, and he even tried to get Wanyamas shirt yo take with him.....

The only team not massively hindered nor sinned against AS far as I can remember are LFC and City, but both Arse and Zcheldki have benefitted by at least 7 points.......

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Not in defence of referees but have you also considered a world where all decisions are governed eventually by 27 different TV angles. There might be little left to discuss, argue and debate about....

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Not in defence of referees but have you also considered a world where all decisions are governed eventually by 27 different TV angles. There might be little left to discuss, argue and debate about....
Where is the problem? Technology would just prove that I was right, everybody knows that already, and you and everybody else was wrong. Sorted.

I don't think every decision should be reviewed, but I would like to see each team have 3 reviews like in cricket, and only the captain is allowed to trigger a review or talk to the ref.

Something needs to be done because I reckon the standard of refereeing is getting worse, maybe they are scared of giving decisions because of manager/player/crowd/media reactions - if they had telly to back them up a lot of the pressure would be removed and we would never get Foyed again.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I don't think every decision should be reviewed, but I would like to see each team have 3 reviews like in cricket, and only the captain is allowed to trigger a review or talk to the ref.

Something needs to be done because I reckon the standard of refereeing is getting worse, maybe they are scared of giving decisions because of manager/player/crowd/media reactions - if they had telly to back them up a lot of the pressure would be removed and we would never get Foyed again.
It's a difficult one and your solution might be good, the same happens in tennis as well. It's all a question of where do you draw the line with technology, factual decisions are easy - did the ball cross the line, was someone offside, but then we get into penalties, much more subjective, then sendings-off, then... etc.

One of the biggest problems is inconsistency for example - Marcos Rojo at Manchester United who is clearly desperately keen to go home for Christmas has now got away with two off the ground two footed tackles and received only a single yellow card for them. Mike Dean gives penalties for pushing in the box at corners, no-one else does....these are the biggest problems for me. If the players and managers knew exactly what to expect then they could act accordingly.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
The 4th official lock him in a room, with the ref wearing an Apple Watch, in the 4 th official see something, like Roho challenges and shirt pull, he buzzes the ref, who watches it on his watch, and gives the correct decision.....think that's what we all want.
How footy would have changed for Spurs, if Mendes goal had stoood, Gomes Pen WASNT GIVEN, the semi v Chelsea the ball over the line, I could go on.
The 4 th only has to deal with irate managers upset with decisions going against them

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
It's a difficult one and your solution might be good, the same happens in tennis as well. It's all a question of where do you draw the line with technology, factual decisions are easy - did the ball cross the line, was someone offside, but then we get into penalties, much more subjective, then sendings-off, then... etc.

One of the biggest problems is inconsistency for example - Marcos Rojo at Manchester United who is clearly desperately keen to go home for Christmas has now got away with two off the ground two footed tackles and received only a single yellow card for them. Mike Dean gives penalties for pushing in the box at corners, no-one else does....these are the biggest problems for me. If the players and managers knew exactly what to expect then they could act accordingly.
I don't think these decisions are necessarilly subjective, in rugby the officials use technology and discuss the offences, it works well and takes some of the pressure off the ref who may not have seen what happened. The recent England player sent off for a dangerous tackle demonstrated the effectiveness of technology, was Daley's tackle dangerous? You bet it was, so off he goes. no controversy, no arguments.

Holding and shirt pulling are totally objective crimes and should be stopped, OK, Jan would get sent off but then he would stop doing it as would all the other players. Judging diving could be iffy, I still can't decide if Dele did or Dele didn't! Going down easily is not a crime, going down when you're not touched is, could be a bit tricky deciding who is doing a Tom Daley.

Maybe alongside a certain amount of technology during the match we need it post-match as well. A tribunal could sit and judge crimes that the refs have missed and award bans for some of the real nastiness that cunts like Costa and Fibreglass get away with all the time.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Wh
haha costa and kante get xmas off
icymi we have jan,walker and wanyama on the verge of xmas off with a yellow.
which is annoying as they'll get a rest before us on 4th January.....a game where we need to make a real statement.