By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Slump or bump?

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Not sure about Ndombele mate, the only loss he’s played in was Leicester, and from what I hear it was one of our better away performances over the last 7/8 months. He wasn’t great against Olympiakos but sounds like he was really good today. Reckon he’s gonna be an absolute star for us, and in time he’ll be one of the first names on the team sheet, whether in a 3 behind Harry, or with Sissoko or Winksy in the middle.

It's not Ndombele as a player I'm talking about. He can be a force, but him and Sissoko r very similar players and winks is even more defensive. All I'm saying is it should be 2 of them. Not all 3. Like I said nothing to do with Ndombeles performances.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
It's not Ndombele as a player I'm talking about. He can be a force, but him and Sissoko r very similar players and winks is even more defensive. All I'm saying is it should be 2 of them. Not all 3. Like I said nothing to do with Ndombeles performances.
Disagree... N'Dom hasnt done what he can/should be doing...

He should be imposing himself on many of the games he has played in but while I am critical I am also patient and expect him to come of age at some point as I have seen him utterly destroy players/teams when driving forwards...

If he was good today, brilliant let it continue as he is capable.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Disagree... N'Dom hasnt done what he can/should be doing...

He should be imposing himself on many of the games he has played in but while I am critical I am also patient and expect him to come of age at some point as I have seen him utterly destroy players/teams when driving forwards...

If he was good today, brilliant let it continue as he is capable.

Like I said its not Ndombele as a player he will be excellent for us. A dembele type player that scores. That's massive!!

What I'm saying is for me winks, Ndombele and Sissoko is to defensive.

It is just my opinion but I think this really reduces our attack. In a 433 one of the middle 3 needs to be more forward thinking. Lamela, Eriksen, lo celso, Alli. Someone who can unlock a killer pass.

Eg.

Ndombele - Winks
--------Eriksen-------
Lamela - Kane- Son

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Like I said its not Ndombele as a player he will be excellent for us. A dembele type player that scores. That's massive!!
What I'm saying is for me winks, Ndombele and Sissoko is to defensive.
It is just my opinion but I think this really reduces our attack. In a 433 one of the middle 3 needs to be more forward thinking. Lamela, Eriksen, lo celso, Alli. Someone who can unlock a killer pass.
Eg.
Ndombele - Winks
--------Eriksen-------
Lamela - Kane- Son
Dont disagree with that, so who doesn't he fancy? N'Dom was brought to play so who doesnt he want in there?

I'd say Sisoko, as he is limited and does a great job doing what he does well but literally shits himself in the final 3rd.

N'Dom in theory does all Sisoko can and not turn to jelly when attacking.
I'd say Sisoko fits the bill for a destroyer workhorse type player where as N'Dom does he best work further up.

Hey let's watch MOTD and see what we played all that cash for.

COYS

*Edit I should have said Winks is an absolute shoe in atm.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Just want to say,yes we have been really,really poor so far,but we sit 4th,if arse lose 2-0 to man u they will be 10th.Will the media be allover Batfink and his players??

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.

I hear ya. I think personally though, Ndombele will, given time, be better than both Winks and Sissoko. He can tackle, pass and score goals. I’d be tempted to play Winks and Ndombele as the middle 2 in the next games.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Dont disagree with that, so who doesn't he fancy? N'Dom was brought to play so who doesnt he want in there?

I'd say Sisoko, as he is limited and does a great job doing what he does well but literally shits himself in the final 3rd.

N'Dom in theory does all Sisoko can and not turn to jelly when attacking.
I'd say Sisoko fits the bill for a destroyer workhorse type player where as N'Dom does he best work further up.

Hey let's watch MOTD and see what we played all that cash for.

COYS

*Edit I should have said Winks is an absolute shoe in atm.

Yeah I mean it's tough no doubt. Puts dier up shits creek aswell. Ndombele is going to be better than Sissoko for sure. His passing was still loose today, but he got around the field alot better. He is a million miles better than Sissoko in around the box already.

Winks was tidy today. Nothing to clever passing wise, but he cleaned up all the shite going on in the middle of the park. He played like a slightly less mobile kante today.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I hear ya. I think personally though, Ndombele will, given time, be better than both Winks and Sissoko. He can tackle, pass and score goals. I’d be tempted to play Winks and Ndombele as the middle 2 in the next games.

Ndombele is definitely going to be a step above winks and Sissoko. He has Yaya Toure written all over him.

Yep me to. Sissoko could still get on at right back depending where walker Peters is.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Ndombele is definitely going to be a step above winks and Sissoko. He has Yaya Toure written all over him.

Yep me to. Sissoko could still get on at right back depending where walker Peters is.
Thought N'Dombele had his best game for us today. Would be good if he can hit the ground running from now as the other new boys aren't available.

Think the lads showed they're behind the manager and dug out a win when we could have collapsed.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
As this is the Ndombele go to thread here it is...

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
Well, whether it is still a slump or not, that was certainly not a performance you'd see from a team that has given up on Poch or each other.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
So good news! It appears the force is still strong within us. Just need to figure out why we misfire then, easy!

Looking for a similarly team orientated performance tomorrow now to see if we can get some momentum going.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Slump stats update - Win %

2016-17 : 68%
2017-18 : 61%
2019 - Pre Slump ( 28/02/2019 ) : 77%
Slump (From 28/02/2019 to now ) : 32%
This Season : 43%

We just need to win our next 10 games and we'll be back to our 2019 season pre-slump levesl. That's a bit sarky, we are heading in the right direction. It's going to be a long hard fight to hold on to top four but that makes for an exciting season?

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Slump stats update - Win %

2016-17 : 68%
2017-18 : 61%
2019 - Pre Slump ( 28/02/2019 ) : 77%
Slump (From 28/02/2019 to now ) : 32%
This Season : 43%

We just need to win our next 10 games and we'll be back to our 2019 season pre-slump levesl. That's a bit sarky, we are heading in the right direction. It's going to be a long hard fight to hold on to top four but that makes for an exciting season?
I will just be happy for the players to come together as a unit like the 2nd half on Saturday

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

10 games into the season and it's been pretty crappy really.

Fucking Awful - 5 games
Failing to hold onto a two nil lead - twice
Beaten by a fourth division side in the League Cup
A massive humiliation in the Champions League,
Losing to possibly the worst side in the PL, Newcastle

A bit pony - 1 game
Unbelievably lucky draw against City

Average
Hanging on to beat a poor Southampton side
Being beaten by Leicester (good side)

Good - 2 games
Good home wins against Villa and Palace

Last edited:
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
According to the Daily Mirror via BBC website.

Belgium defender Toby Alderweireld, 30, has admitted the side have hit their lowest point for five years. Pochettino's side are 10 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool, were knocked out of the Carabao Cup by League Two Colchester and were thrashed 7-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League on Tuesday.

'Lowest point for 5 years' speaks volumes, considering where we are these days. Who remembers the 90's??

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
According to the Daily Mirror via BBC website.

Belgium defender Toby Alderweireld, 30, has admitted the side have hit their lowest point for five years. Pochettino's side are 10 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool, were knocked out of the Carabao Cup by League Two Colchester and were thrashed 7-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League on Tuesday.

'Lowest point for 5 years' speaks volumes, considering where we are these days. Who remembers the 90's??

It has that pre Poch feeling about it at the moment that's for sure. On another note anyone thinking about bringing in Mourinho can sod off, that's as bad as the man in the raincoat!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
West Ham midfielder Michail Antonio speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Friday Football Social: "You can blame the players and the manager to a certain degree, but I think the majority of the blame has to go to the chairman.

"He's the one that isn't willing to pay. He's the one willing to spend so much on a stadium, he's willing to promote how Tottenham's going to be such a big, powerful club.

But then he's paying little wages. To be fair the wages that half their team is on they should never be on - the majority should be on double what they're on.

The fact is they are not going to stay there and be paid less than they're worth, because they're worth more.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Sooo... According to Antonio this whole sorry turd is a result of wages?

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
This is no longer a slump.

As a permanent fixture in the top 4 we are now on life support.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
So what the hell do we do now boys?

In my head i'm thinking Poch has to stay, he deserves to stay, what he's done for our club is beyond my wildest dreams during the AVB days, he's an absolute star, obviously the lack of trophies is disappointing but the football we've seen over the last 4 years, has more than made up for the lack of trophies for me. He wanted a clear out in the Summer and didn't get what he wanted, and that can be extrapolated to his entire reign, the reported lack of say in transfers is just all wrong, if indeed that is the case, but do we carry on like this, so Poch gets a chance to have a massive rebuild over the next couple of years, for me YES on this one, but i also understand we need to get through another 7 months with the possibility of what we're seeing on the pitch happening time and time again, which will ultimately intensify the pressure on Poch and we all know the manager is normally the one who gets shafted.

I don't know about you boys but i think i'd quite happily take a 6th or so place finish, just to give Poch the chance to rebuild, but the problem is, it's a massive job and could take a couple of years. Ideally the entire back line plus Hugo need replacing, i absolute love Toby and Jan but they've been exposed mercilessly this week up against pace, they're in the twilight of their careers and it's time to move on, and if being utterly ruthless, you'd get rid of Rose, Davies and Aurier, not sure what the deal is with KWP, Poch clearly doesn't trust him, another issue is that they're getting little protection from the DM's, an area where teams seem to play thru us with ease, and another area we need a clear out, Dier and Wanyama need to go, I've read on social media about how Dier could be the saviour, i don't understand that, he's been rubbish for a couple of years now and from the sounds of it, he didn't exactly pull up any trees today, then again who did? Alli's another one who seems to have completely lost his way, he needs to find his mojo, coz he looks totally drained of confidence and has done for some time but injuries have done him no favours and obviously Eriksen needs to be moved on, coz his head is clearly elsewhere. Do we have any youngsters coming through our academy, really pushing for starts, i know very little about our youngsters, other than Parrott, who looks like he has the ability to give Kane the odd rest here and there and Skipp, who from the limited time I've seen of him, looks pretty average.

The worry is, that the players ultimately have the task of sorting this mess out and they look a shambles and i'm not sure they have the fight to get out of it, which means that the next few months will determine whether Poch has a chance to rebuild, coz he needs to be the leader, another month or 2 of this and i reckon he'll be gone. He needs to sort out his formations, tactics, team selections and subs coz that side has been questionable as well, the whole situation is such a mess. We still have a very formidable group of players and still think if some form of harmony can be found and we can string a few wins together, then things can change and we can get to May and rebuild with Poch, gonna be a hell of a task though. COYS!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
So what the hell do we do now boys?...

I don't know about you boys but i think i'd quite happily take a 6th or so place finish, just to give Poch the chance to rebuild, but the problem is, it's a massive job and could take a couple of years. Ideally the entire back line plus Hugo need replacing....
Of course I want shineys in the trophy cabinet, I want Champions League football, but more than that I want to see 11 blokes on the field giving 100%, leaving fuck all out there, walking off proud and bloodied if necessary. Like I said I want results, but I wouldn't be overly arsed if we finish 10th IF the blokes earning more in a week than will get in 10 years show me they deserve it.

Yesterday there was only one team that wanted to win that game - and it wasn't us. I don't know what the problem is, if it is the Poch then he has to go, if it is the players then that is more difficult because how the fuck can we change the whole squad? Maybe it's not all of them and one or two are rotten apples. Maybe they need to have a punch-up, kick shit out of each other and clear the air? I'm sure we will find out what's happening in a few years when someone writes a book.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
1stly I am no longer drunk and I have a fucking banging headache...!!!
2ndly you mention the writing of a book @Dorset, this all fell to shite around the time Mr Poch brought out his book. There were a few raised eyebrows around the club from what I remember...
Maybe he muddied the waters he strived to keep crystal clear and set our foundations with in building that team ethos and unity for "the project".
Either way this changes over the course of October or someone gets the bullet and that someone is usually the manager.... Man U and Madrid must be rubbing their hands together.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Manchester United (£701m) have spent double what we have, (£350m) over the last 5 years on transfers, they pay double what we do in salaries - and they are more pony than we are, Does that make the slump feel a bit better? Not really.

Remember October 11 years age? Fuck, where did all those year go? I remember hearing the news that Ramos had been sacked after 8 games and Harry was taking over. I was so chuffed I nearly crashed my car. 8 games played, 2 points, 20th in the table. Harry of course saved us and we ended the season in 8th position.

It's not as bad as that now, but it is our joint worst start to a Premier League season since then, We are in the same position as we were after 8 games in the first season the Poch was at the Lane, the 2014-15 season, we were in 9th place on 11 points after 8 games, the same as this season, we went on to get 5th place that season.

AFter8.jpg

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
It will surprise very few that I'm going 'bump' although appreciate the stats say 'slump'. A bump is a small slump of course and can turn into a slump very easily with a loss against Saints or Brighton. I don't know what goes on in the modern day world of top Premier League clubs or the minds of excessively overpaid 25 year olds often behaviourally controlled by managers and agents, but I still view these people (including managers) as human beings that can have 'down' periods in their lives. What I do know is that the transfer window is closed, we had a good pre season, we have 3 new quality signings, and a shiny 62,000 seater stadium, so the tools are there for success. Maybe it's a stagnation period, maybe it's a CL final hangover, maybe it's a bit of sour grapes from the likes of Eriksen that he's not at Real Madrid (who are also a bit pants btw),Whatever it is, someone needs to say 'play you did against Palace in the first half' it's clearly possible, so stop fucking around and do it, or we'll find someone else (because the squad is big enough) who will put the required effort in. Lamela and Winks seems to be in about a minority of 2 who are switched on and giving it their all at present - I'm exaggerating for effect, but you get the point.

Let's start on Saturday against Saints like we mean to go on and get another Palace type performance and result. That's the least that's required and we need to see it.
I appear to have made a small error. Slump.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
OK, slump it is then. here's a little quiz for you, answers at the bottom.

1 What percentage of teams have made the top four with 13 points after 11 games? Clue - Very, very small number
2 What percentage of teams on 23 points have failed to keep their top four position? Clue - Very, very high number
3 What chance do we have of top four this season? Clue - a gnat's pube bigger than fuck-all
Answers
1 0%, no team has ever made the top four with 13 points after 11 games, only Leeds made it with 14 and Liverpool got there from 15 points
2 80%,
3 Calculations made using above results, of course return 0%, but this is football and nobody knows so I'll round it up to 1%

13 points achieved after 11 games.
35 Teams have been on 13 points after 11 games.
The highest final position achieved from this position was 7th.
4 Teams have been relegated from this position ( 11.42% )
0 Teams have achieved a Top 4 finish from here ( 0% )
WAFP (Weighted Average Final Position) - 12th

Reactions: Yid