By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Toby Alderweireld

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Toby along with Lloris look like they will be the next to ign contracts.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-toby-alderweireld-hugo-lloris-8956208

Hugo Lloris and Toby Alderweireld are set to be the next Spurs stars to commit their futures to the club.

The central-defender and goalkeeper have been among Mauricio Pochettino’s most impressive performers as his team have emerged as title contenders.

Belgium international Alderweireld has been outstanding since his move from Atletico Madrid in 2015, and although he has more than three years left on his contract the club want to reward him with a new deal.

Harry Kane, Kyle Walker, Christian Eriksen, Danny Rose and Dele Alli were all on long contracts, but chairman Daniel Levy acted to extend their ties.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
The other side of this ongoing fantastic news is of course that should things go tits up and someone wants to leave...for say a 'Big Big' club....(!!) then the price would be extraordinarily high. Welcome to Levy world.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
The other side of this ongoing fantastic news is of course that should things go tits up and someone wants to leave...for say a 'Big Big' club....(!!) then the price would be extraordinarily high. Welcome to Levy world.

Absolutely. I would also imagine a few owners would think twice about dealing with Levy and his supposed antics on transfer dealings.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
That money would be worthless, replacing almost any of our players with blokes equally commited I think would not be possible.

Imagine if we had been this mythical 'big big, BIG club' and had spent 300 million on say Pogba, Stones Xhaka, Sané and Mkhitaryan - the top money transfers this summer at a combined cost of a couple of quid short of £300million - I don't think we would necessarily have a better team.

Who could replace our magnificent defensive unit Toby, Kyle, Hugo, Danny and Jan ( not forgetting Ben, Kevin and Kieran of course) at ANY price? We might get a better player on paper but we need blokes like the ones we have got who can and will do it for the Poch and us. The rest of the team are just as irreplaceable I reckon and getting any amount of money for them if they toddled off would be a bad deal, even if it was a huge wheelbarrow load of wedge.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
That money would be worthless, replacing almost any of our players with blokes equally commited I think would not be possible.

Imagine if we had been this mythical 'big big, BIG club' and had spent 300 million on say Pogba, Stones Xhaka, Sané and Mkhitaryan - the top money transfers this summer at a combined cost of a couple of quid short of £300million - I don't think we would necessarily have a better team.

Who could replace our magnificent defensive unit Toby, Kyle, Hugo, Danny and Jan ( not forgetting Ben, Kevin and Kieran of course) at ANY price? We might get a better player on paper but we need blokes like the ones we have got who can and will do it for the Poch and us. The rest of the team are just as irreplaceable I reckon and getting any amount of money for them if they toddled off would be a bad deal, even if it was a huge wheelbarrow load of wedge.
I agree completely.....I was inferring it was merely a likely Levy insurance policy. One of the very best things about our squad and manager, is that the whole seems far greater than the sum of the parts(which ain't bad either). There's a unity, a mutual buy-in to the ethos, belief and spirit at WHL, which is why presumably they are all signing new contracts. This type of mentality can't be bought and referring to your post, I also don't think that signing 'individual' superstars like those mentioned would necessarily work or add to the squad....a so called superstar among the ranks might even upset the existing harmony and have a detrimental effect.

What Poch, because in my view he deserves most of the credit, backed by Levy, has assembled is a squad of committed players all speaking the same language. It's no mean achievement in the moneyball world of football these days and he is to be admired for it.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Scored for Belgium this weekend.....again.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
CuzTQZDWEAApwRf.jpg
CuzTthqWAAAiyZt.jpg
CuzUJTVWgAAOb1O.jpg
CuzUt9RW8AAFu6A.jpg

BigDub

BigDub

Founding Member
Really good news. Hopefully the scan confirms it's nothing serious. Our most irreplaceable player IMO.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Alderweireld, 27, is a key player for Tottenham and considered one of the Premier League’s top defenders.

The centre back signed for Spurs last year for only £11.5m from Atletico Madrid and is currently back in training after suffering from a knee injury.

Without him, Tottenham have won just two of their last 10 games and have crashed out of the Champions League.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Can't wait for Toby to be back reunited with Jan in the centre of our back four, freeing Eric up to challenge Victor for his place alongside Mousa....things starting to get back to normal, hopefully. With the exception of the CL we've coped probably about as well as could have been expected...

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Can't wait for Toby to be back reunited with Jan in the centre of our back four, freeing Eric up to challenge Victor for his place alongside Mousa....things starting to get back to normal, hopefully. With the exception of the CL we've coped probably about as well as could have been expected...

Yeah means we are one player away from full strength! There is no question we have missed him but its not been defensively, missed his passing.

Apparently looking at a new contract, need the release clause - if its exists removed

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Alderweireld, 27, is a key player for Tottenham and considered one of the Premier League’s top defenders.

The centre back signed for Spurs last year for only £11.5m from Atletico Madrid and is currently back in training after suffering from a knee injury.

Without him, Tottenham have won just two of their last 10 games and have crashed out of the Champions League.
Hmmmmm, is this a media quote? This shoutyness could just as easilly ssy:.

Without him, Tottenham have maintained and improved on their Premier League position after 14 games from last season when they had their best ever finish in the Premier League

We have held on while Toby was injured, we have accumulated 2 more points than we had this time last year, we still have the best defensive record in the Premier League. We have shown just how strong our squad is by conceding just 5 goals in the 6 PL games without him, pucker that is, truly pucker. Yeah we have 'crashed out'of the CL, but it's a cup competition and that sort of bollocks happens in cups, personally I never get arsed about cup losses, only one club per cup, per season gets through the tounaments unbeaten.

When Toby returns we will do even better. I am looking forward to those extra goals from corners and even less goals conceded.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Him and Verts need to get their shit together to deal with Zlatan at the weekend.

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
For those of you not lucky enough to be at Wembley last night, the reception Toby got when he came on was amazing. 60,000 ish Spurs fans were on there feet applauding and cheering Toby and he didn't let us down and put in a typical Toby performance and with a little more target practice could have walked away with a brace.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Be interesting to see if he starts on sunday! I dont think he will

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Now here's an interesting thing, over the previous 7 season's, our Toby has been part of the best defence in each of the leagues he has played for on 5 out of 7 occasions, in the other two seasons his club had the 2nd best defence by 1 goal. That is across 4 different clubs and 3 leagues.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member

Good post old boy.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Now here's an interesting thing, over the previous 7 season's, our Toby has been part of the best defence in each of the leagues he has played for on 5 out of 7 occasions, in the other two seasons his club had the 2nd best defence by 1 goal. That is across 4 different clubs and 3 leagues.

That is a seriously amazing stat.

I wonder if anyone has ever got close to that....and he's heading for 6 out of 8.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
That is a seriously amazing stat.

I wonder if anyone has ever got close to that....and he's heading for 6 out of 8.

Incredible, isn't it? Makes you wonder why Belgium didn't play him CB so for so long.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.

Levy give it to him right now, an absolute bargain. Otamendi's on more than that!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
This is a heavyweight post that says it all.

But don't believe everything you read, last week it was a break clause...now it's £110k a week....next week he'll want a birthday cake clause according to the Sun/Mail/Mirror/Star.

Do you know what fucks me off with all of this? They're all happy...this is their agents and managers talking, wankers, scourge of the game, I detest them.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

Levy give it to him right now, an absolute bargain. Otamendi's on more than that!
Yep. We have to start paying competitive wages or we risk losing our top players. I don't care about all that old bollocks about how we can't afford it and we need to pay for the stadium - different budgets entirely and Danny and Joe will be making a fortune on their property portfolio, so they can fuck off with that bollocks. Compared to ALL the other clubs in the Premiership Levy has trousered a massive amount of money on transfers, that wedge can be used to pay higher wages to make sure players like toby are not tempted to leave. The enormous amount of money coming in from fans who pay for Sky and the other TV companies should be used to ensure that quality players are bought and paid competitive wages, not anything else. Of course £110k a week is fucking obscene, but that's what it is these days, pay the money Levy or I will get seriously umpty.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Need to be careful....how much should we pay Dele and Kane then? Eriksen?

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.

Yeah mate, I appreciate it's a risk but if there's ever a time to gamble on really splashing the cash it's now. We've never had as talented a squad as we do right now, we can't let this opportunity slip. I understand we have a stadium to pay for but giving someone as important as Toby £110k a week will not break the bank and he is absolutely vital for us going forward.

Even if we start giving the likes of Harry and Dele around £150k, then at least we have them and with that you'd hope with consistent qualification for the cl and the increased matchday revenue from the new stadium, potential improved commercial revenue due to a boost in our global profile from potential success on the pitch and improved global exposure to our superstar players, then we should be in a very healthy financial position and as @Dorset said, there must be a lot of cash kicking around as it is.

If it doesn't happen for us on the pitch, over the next few years and players do want to move on for the search for silverware and £300k a week, then we'll be paid stupid money for them to offset the increased wages they'd have been paid previously.

I just think it's such an exciting time right now, that we can't let go of our most important assets (players),now's the time to throw caution to the wind.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Hopefully our wage bill will grow in line with our bigger attendances at Wembley and NWHL and Levy will be able to pay the lads what they want.

1ed847a0d8c56b12d50820a47aa99f6e.jpeg

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
This is a heavyweight post that says it all.

But don't believe everything you read, last week it was a break clause...now it's £110k a week....next week he'll want a birthday cake clause according to the Sun/Mail/Mirror/Star.

Do you know what fucks me off with all of this? They're all happy...this is their agents and managers talking, wankers, scourge of the game, I detest them.
You're right, obviously, but the players pay them shitloads of cash to be pricks on their behalf. I tend not to get too worked up about this kind of thing, as many are saying, it's just part of being successful. The flip side of it is that we're now being linked with players (Douglas Costa, today) we wouldn't have been mentioned in the same sentence with ten years ago. Anyway, Toby is in the discussion for best CB in the world right now IMO, and we need to pay him.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I don't think so. We have all seen the infamous 'Nett Spend' table showing how we had the 2nd lowest spend in the premier league on players over the past 5 years, this changed and we overtook Swansea to become the only team to show a profit! Anyway, if we take the generally accepted previous last 5 years spend it shows that the average yearly spend per team, excluding Tottenham was: £21,585,463

So, if we want to be an 'average team' , there should have been be a budget of around £20m for player transfers

The average spend of the other 'top clubs', City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool was: £50,756,760

So, to sit at the top table we needed a budget of around £50m, per year.

If Levy did not have a budget in place to meet that £50m per year then he is a cunt, not a messiah as some people seem to think. Not a Mr Buyrite who has got lucky with the manager and players and finds himself with a team punching well above their weight. Folks will probably be howling 'look at the accounts, we' haven't made enough money and we can't possibly afford to pay top wages' Yeah right, I spend a big part of my life working on systems and accounting wizardry to make the numbers say what the big corporation I worked for wanted them to say, they are meaningless.

More money to pay wages from a bigger stadium and Wembley? Nah, not on you Nellie. If Levy managed to squeeze an extra £20m a year out of us, how far would that go in the very increasing player transfer market? How long would it take to repay the 400 or 800 million quid stadium building costs? How much of that insignificant amount of money go towards increased costs of running the stadium? The increased revenue will be worth fuck all in today's terms, but that TV wedge, oh that is a huge pile of wonga!

The huge amounts of money from the new TV rights will now be sliding into Levy's trousers, the estimates show that we will get around £145m, fuck that his a lot of wedge! About £50m more than we used to get for telly stuff. If Levy does not use that money to pay competitive wages and buy the players the Poch needs then he is what I have always known to be an absolute, written in stone fact - and that does not mean he is the fucking messiah who will save Tottenham Hotspur. Let's see eh?

We could be teetering on the edge of a precipice. If we lose the core of our brilliant young team then we will be fucked and will become the Everton of 2020's. There is no way the Poch will remain if his team disintegrates, all the 'big' clubs want him and will offer ridiculous piles of cash to get him. The money must be spent or we will be back to where we have been for such a very, very long time, in the middle of the table. Does Levy care? I think not, the corporate seats will be full as long as we remain in the Premiership, new WHL will be nice and full of tourists who have bought their tickets from season ticket holders making a quid on Stubhub, the TV money is around £100m minimum, a nice bit of trousering there, and the American fucking football money will be slithering into his wallet along with the huge amount of cash him and his mate will make from all the property they bought around the stadium which will now be worth so much more.