By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Toby Alderweireld

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I don't think so. We have all seen the infamous 'Nett Spend' table showing how we had the 2nd lowest spend in the premier league on players over the past 5 years, this changed and we overtook Swansea to become the only team to show a profit! Anyway, if we take the generally accepted previous last 5 years spend it shows that the average yearly spend per team, excluding Tottenham was: £21,585,463

So, if we want to be an 'average team' , there should have been be a budget of around £20m for player transfers

The average spend of the other 'top clubs', City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool was: £50,756,760

So, to sit at the top table we needed a budget of around £50m, per year.

If Levy did not have a budget in place to meet that £50m per year then he is a cunt, not a messiah as some people seem to think. Not a Mr Buyrite who has got lucky with the manager and players and finds himself with a team punching well above their weight. Folks will probably be howling 'look at the accounts, we' haven't made enough money and we can't possibly afford to pay top wages' Yeah right, I spend a big part of my life working on systems and accounting wizardry to make the numbers say what the big corporation I worked for wanted them to say, they are meaningless.

More money to pay wages from a bigger stadium and Wembley? Nah, not on you Nellie. If Levy managed to squeeze an extra £20m a year out of us, how far would that go in the very increasing player transfer market? How long would it take to repay the 400 or 800 million quid stadium building costs? How much of that insignificant amount of money go towards increased costs of running the stadium? The increased revenue will be worth fuck all in today's terms, but that TV wedge, oh that is a huge pile of wonga!

The huge amounts of money from the new TV rights will now be sliding into Levy's trousers, the estimates show that we will get around £145m, fuck that his a lot of wedge! About £50m more than we used to get for telly stuff. If Levy does not use that money to pay competitive wages and buy the players the Poch needs then he is what I have always known to be an absolute, written in stone fact - and that does not mean he is the fucking messiah who will save Tottenham Hotspur. Let's see eh?

We could be teetering on the edge of a precipice. If we lose the core of our brilliant young team then we will be fucked and will become the Everton of 2020's. There is no way the Poch will remain if his team disintegrates, all the 'big' clubs want him and will offer ridiculous piles of cash to get him. The money must be spent or we will be back to where we have been for such a very, very long time, in the middle of the table. Does Levy care? I think not, the corporate seats will be full as long as we remain in the Premiership, new WHL will be nice and full of tourists who have bought their tickets from season ticket holders making a quid on Stubhub, the TV money is around £100m minimum, a nice bit of trousering there, and the American fucking football money will be slithering into his wallet along with the huge amount of cash him and his mate will make from all the property they bought around the stadium which will now be worth so much more.
You're right as is @Chavhater01 and others. We are in somewhat of a unique position with this brilliant group and I read somewhere we made about £30m from the CL this year. That's an extra £100k a week for 6 players, so we can easily afford it, and it needs to be done to retain these players and possibly the manager.

In fact we would only have ourselves to blame if we lost them. The only thing that annoys me is that it's their agents talking and they are real wankers who just. Leeds money from the game and the clubs.

birdonaball

birdonaball

Player in Training.
Pay the man.

Our defence is one of the best in the league for the second time running. Toby is the best cb in the league. Why on earth let him go....

B

Bbkyid

Founding Member
I'd argue that he's our most important player right now. Perhaps even just slightly more so than Kane, although I'm sure that's debatable. However, we suffer more when Toby is out and the effect he's had on our defence is impossible to overstate.
We need this guy to stay.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Whatever it takes to keep him imo. Best defender in the league over the last 2 seasons by some distance.

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
Yeuchchchch.......

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/...toby-alderweireld-rejects-new-contract-offer/

Terrible Tottenham news: Toby Alderweireld rejects new contract offer
Jamie-Hotspur_avatar_1499233558-32x32.jpg

By Jamie BrownCreated on: January 13, 2018 12:27 pmLast Updated: January 13, 2018 1:42 pm
Tottenham Hotspur central-defender Toby Alderweireld has rejected a new contract offered made to him by the club, according to the Times.
Spurs remain confident that they can tie the player down to a new deal, having held postive talks with the Belgian over recent weeks.
The 28-year-old is one of a number of players being offered new deals, with two new names emerging this morning.
Rejected
Alderweirld has turned down Tottenham’s latest offer to get him to sign a new deal with the club.
His current deal is set to expire in 2019, however, in that contract is a release clause, which becomes active when Tottenham trigger the option to extend the deal by an additional year.
That release clause is understood to be at around £25m, a fee which far from reflects the Belgian’s true value, especially to Spurs, so the club are working to overcome this.
The former Ajax man is understood to be one of the players unhappy with Spurs’ wage structure, however, the player remain happy at the club and is expected to sign a new contract.
Two new names
Added to the list of names set to receive new Tottenham contracts is Heung-min Son and Christian Eriksen, a duo who have really impressed at Wembley this season.
Son has been a key figure for Mauricio Pochettino’s side, with this season and last more than showing as to why Tottenham signed him from Bayer Leverkusen.
The South Korean, who helped guide his nation to the 2018 World Cup, has netted 10 times for Spurs this season in 29 appearances in all competitions.
Christian Eriksen, meanwhile, one of the club’s most talented assets, is set to be offered a new deal in a bid to fend off interest from clubs abroad.
A new contract for the Dane, who also guided his country to this year’s World Cup, plus Daniel Levy as his club’s chairman is surely set to make his transfer fee an eye-watering one.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Yeuchchchch.......

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/...toby-alderweireld-rejects-new-contract-offer/

Terrible Tottenham news: Toby Alderweireld rejects new contract offer
Jamie-Hotspur_avatar_1499233558-32x32.jpg

By Jamie BrownCreated on: January 13, 2018 12:27 pmLast Updated: January 13, 2018 1:42 pm
Tottenham Hotspur central-defender Toby Alderweireld has rejected a new contract offered made to him by the club, according to the Times.
Spurs remain confident that they can tie the player down to a new deal, having held postive talks with the Belgian over recent weeks.
The 28-year-old is one of a number of players being offered new deals, with two new names emerging this morning.
Rejected
Alderweirld has turned down Tottenham’s latest offer to get him to sign a new deal with the club.
His current deal is set to expire in 2019, however, in that contract is a release clause, which becomes active when Tottenham trigger the option to extend the deal by an additional year.
That release clause is understood to be at around £25m, a fee which far from reflects the Belgian’s true value, especially to Spurs, so the club are working to overcome this.
The former Ajax man is understood to be one of the players unhappy with Spurs’ wage structure, however, the player remain happy at the club and is expected to sign a new contract.
Two new names
Added to the list of names set to receive new Tottenham contracts is Heung-min Son and Christian Eriksen, a duo who have really impressed at Wembley this season.
Son has been a key figure for Mauricio Pochettino’s side, with this season and last more than showing as to why Tottenham signed him from Bayer Leverkusen.
The South Korean, who helped guide his nation to the 2018 World Cup, has netted 10 times for Spurs this season in 29 appearances in all competitions.
Christian Eriksen, meanwhile, one of the club’s most talented assets, is set to be offered a new deal in a bid to fend off interest from clubs abroad.
A new contract for the Dane, who also guided his country to this year’s World Cup, plus Daniel Levy as his club’s chairman is surely set to make his transfer fee an eye-watering one.
Rejected offers are part of negotiation. We'll see. Like Rose, it's hard for me to get all that worked up about a player that's been injured so long.

birdonaball

birdonaball

Player in Training.
Where is all this 'news' coming from FFS? He's returning from injury and the club is easing him back. Well that's what I think....

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Apparently it was all agreed and now he’s fit his team want more

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Ok, so how upset are we all going to be if the stories in the click bait media and tomorrow's fish & chip wrappers turn out to be true and we let Toby go for £70m this Summer? For context we have Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth and CCV (on loan) and Dier. in my view only Vertonghen is in the same league as Toby at present.

I don't know his demands and the contract situation at all, I also don't know how much TV money Levy has squirelled away to fund the new Stadium (my guess is a lot) but let's suppose he's on £60k now and wants £120k.....I would offer £100k, he's worth it. That would then see the rest of the first team wanting more money say from Harry on £175k to Trippier on £75k a week. let's assume everyone gets on average £50k a week more (can't believe these numbers as I type them) x 12 key players = £31.2m a year. Whilst in my view it's obscene, in the overall scheme of things, we can easily afford it and we should pay it IF Poch wants the players in question. It's only just a bit more than 1 Sissoko transfer fee.

We can't be held to ransom and if that's the case then it's a different story, but without knowing the dynamics of the dressing rom, the various 'leaders' and what poch's long term plans are. My current vote is keep Toby, he's still only 28, 29 next week.

If he goes I will be 8/10 on the upset scale.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Ok, so how upset are we all going to be if the stories in the click bait media and tomorrow's fish & chip wrappers turn out to be true and we let Toby go for £70m this Summer? For context we have Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth and CCV (on loan) and Dier. in my view only Vertonghen is in the same league as Toby at present.

I don't know his demands and the contract situation at all, I also don't know how much TV money Levy has squirelled away to fund the new Stadium (my guess is a lot) but let's suppose he's on £60k now and wants £120k.....I would offer £100k, he's worth it. That would then see the rest of the first team wanting more money say from Harry on £175k to Trippier on £75k a week. let's assume everyone gets on average £50k a week more (can't believe these numbers as I type them) x 12 key players = £31.2m a year. Whilst in my view it's obscene, in the overall scheme of things, we can easily afford it and we should pay it IF Poch wants the players in question. It's only just a bit more than 1 Sissoko transfer fee.

We can't be held to ransom and if that's the case then it's a different story, but without knowing the dynamics of the dressing rom, the various 'leaders' and what poch's long term plans are. My current vote is keep Toby, he's still only 28, 29 next week.

Footballing wise losing Toby is a 10 on the upset scale but......then I take it to a 5 because as you say we cannot be held to ransom. And if as rumblings I have heard are true, he and his team agreed something and now they dont so he can bugger off. That type of behaviour is not acceptable to me

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Who is his agent? Danny "I need a pay rise after I've been out for ages, now I'm fit again" Rose?

conor1

conor1

Founding Member

I make no bones about mate, if he goes I'll be pissed off in equal measure with him and the club. The problem, as you rightly put it, is that we are all second guessing the situation. I must say however that I'm surprised we haven't been able to tie him down to a longer improved contract. Just don't know whether its the club not offering a decent improvement or whether we have offered a better contract and he's just being a dick.. Before his injury he had been by a distance the best defender in the league the last 2 years.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
I make no bones about mate, if he goes I'll be pissed off in equal measure with him and the club. The problem, as you rightly put it, is that we are all second guessing the situation. I must say however that I'm surprised we haven't been able to tie him down to a longer improved contract. Just don't know whether its the club not offering a decent improvement or whether we have offered a better contract and he's just being a dick.. Before his injury he had been by a distance the best defender in the league the last 2 years.

What i have heard is they all shook hands on a contract, was going to be announced and now he wants more! Its like sanchez at the scum! But we have a year to decide and to be honest i would play the contract! Let him leave in a year at £25m dont play him! Let him watch us win champs league.....cunt! Hes dead to me

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
What i have heard is they all shook hands on a contract, was going to be announced and now he wants more! Its like sanchez at the scum! But we have a year to decide and to be honest i would play the contract! Let him leave in a year at £25m dont play him! Let him watch us win champs league.....cunt! Hes dead to me
That’s a little harsh though, we don’t really know anything yet.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Woahhhhhh... Slow down lads... Let's see this play out a bit. If he has been a cunt hell get cut adrift for a huge profit.

Let's face it he is right up there with the best in the world... He wants to be recognised as such paid, as such and maybe win some medals... Which may mean he has to leave if he is not prepared to wait.

The club needs to recognise that top players can and will demand top wages and trophies.

Last edited:
Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I think I'll wait and see if the media reports are bollocks before I start slagging off one our best players.

Reactions: Yid
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I think I'll wait and see if the media reports are bollocks before I start slagging off one our best players.
Agree....and probably no slagging off required anyway. Better to just get it sorted, even if it's Danny Rose style, at least for the moment.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I refuse to join in the debate,same as whether moura or son start tomorrow,i ll wait and see what transpires.
When will people realise news now is written to earn clicks and advertising and bears little semblance to any truth.the greater the porky the greater the clicks,the greater the earnings,the greater the angst,the greater the clicks and so the wheel of shite turns and turns.Throw in a few betting links to bump earnings further the greater number of BS stories,the greater the clicks............
The digital age is fantastic,but has been the grim reaper for proper storied journalism.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I refuse to join in the debate,same as whether moura or son start tomorrow,i ll wait and see what transpires.
When will people realise news now is written to earn clicks and advertising and bears little semblance to any truth.the greater the porky the greater the clicks,the greater the earnings,the greater the angst,the greater the clicks and so the wheel of shite turns and turns.Throw in a few betting links to bump earnings further the greater number of BS stories,the greater the clicks............
The digital age is fantastic,but has been the grim reaper for proper storied journalism.
Cunts don't bother to think anymore, they just read the shit being created by the income generating machines and go off on one. Ignorance ain't bliss it's fucking laziness.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I agree 100% but my question wasn't is it true, it was if it happened how would you feel in the overall context of wages.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I agree 100% but my question wasn't is it true, it was if it happened how would you feel in the overall context of wages.
Dont really care TBH,i care if players stay or go,but when even 30k a week isnt enough or 100k or 150k well good luck to the idiots paying it,just makes me more numb to the game and the clubs.Apparently we pay pretty good bonuses on top of the salaries so the oft quoted whatever a week isnt as low as it seems,and i am happy if that is how we work.I would care if we had an ozil dont give a toss player earning 300k far more than if toby leaves cos 100k isnt enough.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.

Levy has been Tobied!
I guess Toby learned from the best, you reap what you sow Mr Levy.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
.Apparently we pay pretty good bonuses on top of the salaries so the oft quoted whatever a week isnt as low as it seems,and i am happy if that is how we work.I would care if we had an ozil dont give a toss player earning 300k far more than if toby leaves cos 100k isnt enough.
from thst minutes

It was felt the bonus structure and incentives should also be considered when discussing players wages as they comprised a significant part of the monies and are the most generous of any club in the Premier League.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
from thst minutes

It was felt the bonus structure and incentives should also be considered when discussing players wages as they comprised a significant part of the monies and are the most generous of any club in the Premier League.

Yes, I've heard that said from quite a few different people but of course that doesn't make for an easy comparison that can be used for driving page impressions.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Yes, I've heard that said from quite a few different people but of course that doesn't make for an easy comparison that can be used for driving page impressions.
Correct. The role of the football media today is to keep us all in a state of outrage, whether we know what we're pissed off about or not. Whether its transfers, wages, etc., we have just enough information to think we know a lot more than we actually do.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Alderweireld fit says Martinez

Tottenham’s Toby Alderweireld has been declared fully fit to play by Belgium boss Roberto Martinez, despite Mauricio Pochettino’s recent reluctance to select the centre-back.
Martinez said on Tuesday: "Toby Alderweireld is completely fit after a difficult rehabilitation."

The situation has led to further tension between the club and Alderweireld, who has turned down offers of a new contract worth over £100,000-a-week.

Spurs will consider selling Alderweireld in the summer, but he has no firm offers on the table.