By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Tottenham small talk

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Would you rather have Mason or Sissoko though? Mason every day mate.
Mason for sure. Mason was grafter who could pop up late in the the box and contribute with a few goals so beats Sissoko hands down!

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Mason for sure. Mason was grafter who could pop up late in the the box and contribute with a few goals so beats Sissoko hands down!

I was thinking more basic in that at least the ball doesn't bobble when Mason dribbles with it!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
From the BBC sport website

Mark Clattenburg: I allowed Tottenham to self-destruct against Chelsea in 2016

_99044772_mark_clatt_gettty1.jpg

Mark Clattenburg booked nine Tottenham players against Chelsea in 2016 - the most yellow cards ever handed to one team in a Premier League match
Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says he "allowed Tottenham to self-destruct" when he refereed the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in May 2016 as Spurs conceded the title to Leicester.

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg says he "went in with a gameplan" so he could not be blamed by Tottenham for losing the title.

He booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered match, but now says he could have sent off three players.

Chelsea and Tottenham received record fines from the Football Association following the game, while Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

Clattenburg took charge of the Euro 2016 final, as well as that year's Champions League and FA Cup finals.

In February, he left his job as a Premier League official to become Saudi Arabia's new head of referees.

Clattenburg says he had to change his style of refereeing when he took charge of European matches.

"The English style of refereeing is different," he added.

"I had to referee differently when I went into Europe because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theatre, that's what people loved.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
From the BBC sport website

Mark Clattenburg: I allowed Tottenham to self-destruct against Chelsea in 2016

_99044772_mark_clatt_gettty1.jpg

Mark Clattenburg booked nine Tottenham players against Chelsea in 2016 - the most yellow cards ever handed to one team in a Premier League match
Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says he "allowed Tottenham to self-destruct" when he refereed the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in May 2016 as Spurs conceded the title to Leicester.

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg says he "went in with a gameplan" so he could not be blamed by Tottenham for losing the title.

He booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered match, but now says he could have sent off three players.

Chelsea and Tottenham received record fines from the Football Association following the game, while Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

Clattenburg took charge of the Euro 2016 final, as well as that year's Champions League and FA Cup finals.

In February, he left his job as a Premier League official to become Saudi Arabia's new head of referees.

Clattenburg says he had to change his style of refereeing when he took charge of European matches.

"The English style of refereeing is different," he added.

"I had to referee differently when I went into Europe because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theatre, that's what people loved.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."

That game was intense!!!

To be honest I kinda get what he is saying but on the flip side one red card for us would have settled the lads down, and could have brought some control to the game, instead of us completely imploding and letting the lead slip. We really did stop playing football and went for the Chelsea players throats instead.

Still though what a fun match to watch!!

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
4.40 in....Matey saying ground is not big enough...hilarious

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Become quite the tradition now our mid-season spanish beano,gets significantly better results than robbie`s dublin ones did.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Become quite the tradition now our mid-season spanish beano,gets significantly better results than robbie`s dublin ones did.

Makes a change for Jan not to be injured this year, they'll be liking the sunshine. I wait for the Dele and Son Ramblas video with bated breath.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...imb-rich-list-with-305m-revenue-a3747586.html

Spurs moved up one place in the latest Football Money League, published annually by Deloitte, with revenue up by £96.4million to £305.6m last season.

The north Londoners were helped by their highest-ever Premier League finish of second, as well as participation in the Champions League group stage for the first time since 2010.

Increased income from Wembley & progressing to the CL knockout phase should improve on this, no?
Or does the Wembley rent cancel this out?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Sad news,hope one day Ryan comes back as a coach at spurs,that would boil some piss in some quarters we used to frequent.Have a feeling with his manner/demeanor he could be pretty good.
Good luck ryan mason,who's goal against Forest when we were one down may well have started the Poch ball rolling,if people remember the early months.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Sad news,hope one day Ryan comes back as a coach at spurs,that would boil some piss in some quarters we used to frequent.Have a feeling with his manner/demeanor he could be pretty good.
Good luck ryan mason,who's goal against Forest when we were one down may well have started the Poch ball rolling,if people remember the early months.

Yeah, agreed. Hope the club keep an eye on him and perhaps he could help Scott Parker with academy. It seems very easy these days for the younger footballers to go off the rails when their careers don't work out. Steven Caulker has had problems. Probably the money doesn't help. Good luck Ryan.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeah, agreed. Hope the club keep an eye on him and perhaps he could help Scott Parker with academy. It seems very easy these days for the younger footballers to go off the rails when their careers don't work out. Steven Caulker has had problems. Probably the money doesn't help. Good luck Ryan.

Late in the 2nd half,a few poch out twats crawling from behind their keyboards,took us to a good day out at a cup final,and that pivotal villa comeback when the kids ryan,andros,rose,kane showed the way forward for the club.Maybe in history in the future it may seem as important as Mark Robbins goal that saved fergie.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.

Very sad, I hope the club can help him....he was and will always be a Yid

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Very nice public spurs outpouring for Ryan,club,players,fans alike.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Lloris over Jennings doesnt sit well with me!!much as I love Hugo.
Yeah I agree that's a biggie, there are a few bones of contention in here especially very few of Sir Bill's team..........but it will never be right for everyone.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeah I agree that's a biggie, there are a few bones of contention in here especially very few of Sir Bill's team..........but it will never be right for everyone.
Ever seen the original?it used to be in the west stand i think it was outside the press room?huge covered one wall,see if i can find it.I have a photo but its on the other computer i think?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Ever seen the original?it used to be in the west stand i think it was outside the press room?huge covered one wall,see if i can find it.I have a photo but its on the other computer i think?
No, I never did a stadium tour and only ever went in the West stand on a couple of occasions, once for a meeting about a certain old banner....ha ha.

I know we can't forever live in the past, and we've been particularly guilty of that at Spurs over the years, but we shouldn't forget our history and heritage either. A few of the double winning team would have been a nice transition from old stadium to new, it was another of Spurs firsts and an incredible achievement at the time. having seen many old show reels and films, people quickly forget how brilliant Spurs were, both at home and in Europe, people were literally desperate to watch us play. I wonder if they will name the stands, or just lounges and suites (which appears not so far).

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
No, I never did a stadium tour and only ever went in the West stand on a couple of occasions, once for a meeting about a certain old banner....ha ha.

I know we can't forever live in the past, and we've been particularly guilty of that at Spurs over the years, but we shouldn't forget our history and heritage either. A few of the double winning team would have been a nice transition from old stadium to new, it was another of Spurs firsts and an incredible achievement at the time. having seen many old show reels and films, people quickly forget how brilliant Spurs were, both at home and in Europe, people were literally desperate to watch us play. I wonder if they will name the stands, or just lounges and suites (which appears not so far).
If one of the food outlets isnt named "dele alley" someone has missed a trick there